ADVERTISEMENT

Mountain lions in PA?

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
went to a SB brunch and met some people from Petoskey MI (Traverse City area). they are in a club that hunts for mountain lions in Michigan. claim that many have been seen in areas around Sleeping Bear dunes. they said the Michigan DNR denies any possibility saying not mtn lions or if so just pets escaped. their club collaborates with others around the east and midwest. they said there are clubs in NY, NJ, NH, WV and PA. also suggest that mtn lions seen in Tenn, NC and VA. they said the PA club has some real intense believers. they mentioned the lion statue in SC is proof that they were native in PA some time ago. nice people except turns out they are big Sparty fans.

went to a SB brunch and met some people from Petoskey MI (Traverse City area). they are in a club that hunts for mountain lions in Michigan. claim that many have been seen in areas around Sleeping Bear dunes. they said the Michigan DNR denies any possibility saying not mtn lions or if so just pets escaped. their club collaborates with others around the east and midwest. they said there are clubs in NY, NJ, NH, WV and PA. also suggest that mtn lions seen in Tenn, NC and VA. they said the PA club has some real intense believers. they mentioned the lion statue in SC is proof that they were native in PA some time ago. nice people except turns out they are big Sparty fans.
Mountain lions were absolutely native to PA. So were elk, and likely moose and bison ad well. I saw somewhere that the last recognized mountain lion killed in PA was in the mid 1800’s. Now, there have been mountain lions sighted in recent years, but the official story is that these have been ones transitioning through PA as opposed to an established population. There are plenty of people in PA who believe that mountain lions are back in PA for good, but they also believe that coyotes were trapped and reintroduced by the game commission in cahoots with auto insurance companies.

My uncle owns a farm in western PA and my cousin has a trail cam set up. He showed me a pic it caught and if it wasn’t a mountain lion, I don’t know what it was.

Reactions: BarryPSU
I have heard reports of big cats from people in my area for years, but no credible photos, videos or carcasses so far.
There is definitely a niche for them in PA.

I lived in Carroll County Md recently and their are trail camera photos from Fallston and Sykesville Md I saw the pictures and they were definitely big cats, Authentic I don't know.

Coyotes can be found in every county in PA, including Philadelphia.

I used to frequent a produce stand of a local farmer in the far western suburbs of Philly and he claimed mountain lines were being introduced by the game commission.

Reactions: step.eng69
Another big animal that would be great to see wild in PA again is the buffalo. They inhabited western and central parts of the state mostly on the limestone prairie ecosystems. The last members of these herds were pretty much slaughtered after the hard winter of 1799.
These creatures could never be free ranging, however, with the levels of development we now have.

Coyotes can be found in every county in PA, including Philadelphia.

I used to frequent a produce stand of a local farmer in the far western suburbs of Philly and he claimed mountain lines were being introduced by the game commission.
Yeah, this is the tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theories. The pa game commission can’t change an empty roll of toilet paper without permission from the legislature... so that means that the state government is involved. I imagine to appease both central and western PA politicians, the game commission would have to reintroduce both mountain lions and panthers!

Mountain lions were absolutely native to PA. So were elk, and likely moose and bison ad well. I saw somewhere that the last recognized mountain lion killed in PA was in the mid 1800’s. Now, there have been mountain lions sighted in recent years, but the official story is that these have been ones transitioning through PA as opposed to an established population. There are plenty of people in PA who believe that mountain lions are back in PA for good, but they also believe that coyotes were trapped and reintroduced by the game commission in cahoots with auto insurance companies.

Were moose ever native to PA? I thought they struggled with disease bearing parasites in warmer climates. I do seem to recall a moose being spotted in the Poconos a few years ago.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
Were moose ever native to PA? I thought they struggled with disease bearing parasites in warmer climates. I do seem to recall a moose being spotted in the Poconos a few years ago.
I’ve read articles speculating about moose and bison in PA based upon the names that native Americans gave to certain locations and geographic features in PA. Of course, this could have ended prior to the settling of eastern North America by Western Europeans. Heck, there was a wooly mammoth skeleton found in Bradford county. If you go back far enough there were likely saber tooth tigers in PA.

I’ve read articles speculating about moose and bison in PA based upon the names that native Americans gave to certain locations and geographic features in PA. Of course, this could have ended prior to the settling of eastern North America by Western Europeans. Heck, there was a wooly mammoth skeleton found in Bradford county. If you go back far enough there were likely saber tooth tigers in PA.
Saber Tooth Tigers... now THERE is a species that I would love to see the game commission reintroduce to PA.

I can’t fathom why there are clubs that hunt mountain lions in this day and age in the east and midwest. I’m not against hunting - deer/bear/turkey etc. have at it - but to hunt an animal that has been rendered extinct in areas where they had previously... existed?... just doesn’t seem right.

Reactions: NittanyOpp
I can’t fathom why there are clubs that hunt mountain lions in this day and age in the east and midwest. I’m not against hunting - deer/bear/turkey etc. have at it - but to hunt an animal that has been rendered extinct in areas where they had previously... existed?... just doesn’t seem right.
They're not hunting them in the sense you infer. They are looking for them in order to prove their existence.

They're not hunting them in the sense you infer. They are looking for them in order to prove their existence.

that is right their weapons are cameras. I don't think these people even own guns.

I have heard reports of big cats from people in my area for years, but no credible photos, videos or carcasses so far.
There is definitely a niche for them in PA.

There are probably about 100-200 lions in Florida. About 20 of them get killed by cars every year. If there were any in PA, at least one of them would have been hit by a car in the last 50 years. No carcasses, no mountain lions.

My brother and mother live in Petoskey. Mountain lions are very rare, more likely bobcats. I live in southeast Michigan saw a bobcat running down a main road at me in the other lane. Couldn't believe my eyes. I stopped my car and so did other behind me and we were like did you just see what I did to each other. My brother said for sure, bob cats all over Michigan, but coyotes are everywhere here.

Mountain lions more in UP here but don't doubt they would be in Sleeping Bear. FWIW another brother lives in Denver and he's had one sitting on top of his house. They do that and wait to attack as you walk out. Scary stuff lol

Bison likely? No likely about it, fact. Wolves also.

44901086_2007670169271900_8205989490972426240_n.jpg

Growlers, yum.

Reactions: Snow Shoe Lion
There are definitely mountain lions here in EagleVail, CO.
There are too many mountain lions in many areas of the west and the locals aren't happy about it. A lion kills about a deer a week and are a threat to livestock and people fear for their safety, justified or not. I've never seen one while hunting Colorado, but have seen tracks several times and we had an elk quarter stolen by one once. This over-population may be why they are spreading east and that's not a good thing.

Reactions: MICH.Nit Fan
Buffalo were seen frequently between Woolrich and Lock Haven as late as at least the '50's and :'60's.

Ya. The 1750s and 60s.

The last confirmed wild buffalo was killed in Pennsylvania around 1801. And there's a lot of doubt that they ever migrated east of the Appalachians in Pennsylvania. Most in Pennsylvania were located in the Southwestern part of the state.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT