ADVERTISEMENT

Mountain lions in PA?

How big was this cat? Was it sick or hurt? A healthy full grown Mountain Lion can take down a full grown elk or wild horse. Have been known to attack and kill full grown Timber Wolves. How the hell did this guy strangle a mountain lion? Something is not adding up.

Last edited:
How big was this cat? Was it sick or hurt? A healthy full grown Mountain Lion can take down a full grown elk or wild horse. Have been known to attack and kill a full grown Timber Wolf. How the hell did this guy strangle a mountain lion? Something is not adding up.
The article said it was a yearling male. I doubt it was fully grown or up to adult strength.

The article said it was a yearling male. I doubt it was fully grown or up to adult strength.
If you are talking about the photo in the Tioga publication, the person quoted as saying the picture was of a “ yearling male “ was the person who provided the photo. It would not have been much trouble to track down a biologist who could have given a professional opinion.
While the coloration looks about right and the cat is muscular with a long tail, there is no scale comparison in the photo. I would be willing to bet this animal weighs much less than 30 lbs.
Male mountain lions can get over 100 lbs. The paws and head look too small and delicate. The ears look a lot like what you would see in a domestic cat as well.
My guess would be that it could be an escaped pet, either a big Abyssinian or maybe a Jungle Cat hybrid, which is becoming more popular in the pet trade. Hybrid cats are often dumped by owners when they find out these creatures behave more like wild animals than pets, especially when it comes to their bathroom habits.

Reactions: BBrown
If you are talking about the photo in the Tioga publication, the person quoted as saying the picture was of a “ yearling male “ was the person who provided the photo. It would not have been much trouble to track down a biologist who could have given a professional opinion.
While the coloration looks about right and the cat is muscular with a long tail, there is no scale comparison in the photo. I would be willing to bet this animal weighs much less than 30 lbs.
Male mountain lions can get over 100 lbs. The paws and head look too small and delicate. The ears look a lot like what you would see in a domestic cat as well.
My guess would be that it could be an escaped pet, either a big Abyssinian or maybe a Jungle Cat hybrid, which is becoming more popular in the pet trade. Hybrid cats are often dumped by owners when they find out these creatures behave more like wild animals than pets, especially when it comes to their bathroom habits.
I was referring to RU31trap. I believe his comment was on the article of the guy that strangled the mountain lion.

How big was this cat? Was it sick or hurt? A healthy full grown Mountain Lion can take down a full grown elk or wild horse. Have been known to attack and kill a full grown Timber Wolves. How the hell did this guy strangle a mountain lion? Something is not adding up.

Article said it was a young male.

Reactions: RU31trap
Theres a youtube channel of a guy who camps alot in appalachia and has posted video of mountain lion tracks in the snow. He's a believer. This is like Virginia/NC border. I've seen a Mountain Lion myself in Lancaster county in 2013, but Im pretty sure it was someones escaped pet, and not a true wild animal. I dont think theres a breeding population in PA, if they do exist they are probably roaming animals.

Article said it was a young male.

This is why the quote button is your friend (and why thread view was better). You guys are mixing up two different posts, the photo of the cat digging by the fence, and the article about the guy in Colorado strangling the mountain lion. The confusion was created because RU31trap didn't quote the post he was responding to.

went to a SB brunch and met some people from Petoskey MI (Traverse City area). they are in a club that hunts for mountain lions in Michigan. claim that many have been seen in areas around Sleeping Bear dunes. they said the Michigan DNR denies any possibility saying not mtn lions or if so just pets escaped. their club collaborates with others around the east and midwest. they said there are clubs in NY, NJ, NH, WV and PA. also suggest that mtn lions seen in Tenn, NC and VA. they said the PA club has some real intense believers. they mentioned the lion statue in SC is proof that they were native in PA some time ago. nice people except turns out they are big Sparty fans.
I was driving thru English Center, PA today and took a picture of a memorial plaque dedicated to the memory of Dr. Frederick Reinwald, who was killed by a panther in Dec of 1846. I have included a link to an old newspaper story about his death, which unfortunately was pretty brutal to say the least.https://www.newspapers.com/clip/17825485/dr_reinwald_killed_by_panther/

Reactions: 83wuzme
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT