ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Brackets and discussion

Nobody (or at least me) is simply giving it to KOT. He has definitely earned it with being a 2x champ, only losing 3x in his career, and just beating what most would consider the clear cut number 2 ranked guy at the weight by 6. And before anyone says it, I would say other than PSU fans, KOT is the clear cut number 1 ranked guy followed by David Carr, and then I think MM slots in nicely. I am one of the guys that think in order to move ahead of someone, you need to beat them, or they need to lose to someone below you to catapult you above them. Neither of those have happened to the top 2 guys. I also believe Carr should be the 3 seed but thats a different issue. I mean no disrespect to MM by picking KOT. Do I think he can beat him, yes. Would I pick him if they've already wrestled this year due to PSU being notoriously better against guys after they see them, yes (unless of course KOT just completely dominated him, which I don't think would or will happen). But due to all of the factors I've listed, I'm picking KOT this time around.
Wow. Giant paragraph explaining how you are not giving it to O'Toole....then you go ahead and give it to O'Toole.

One after another, they keep on picking against Mitchell.

Wow. Giant paragraph explaining how you are not giving it to O'Toole....then you go ahead and give it to O'Toole.

One after another, they keep on picking against Mitchell.
One drink too many on this Friday night? What exactly is anyone “giving” KOT besides respect? In case you’re new to this sport, wrestlers earn everything, given nothing.

Again, KOT is a 2x champ. He’s earned the right to be the favorite at the weight. It’s entirely possibly to respect one wrestler without disrespecting another. It’s also just as possible to hope MM wins, but predict KOT will.

For example, I’m sure every PSU fan hopes to have 10 champs. However, judging by just the last few years, odds are against that happening.

One drink too many on this Friday night? What exactly is anyone “giving” KOT besides respect? In case you’re new to this sport, wrestlers earn everything, given nothing.

Again, KOT is a 2x champ. He’s earned the right to be the favorite at the weight. It’s entirely possibly to respect one wrestler without disrespecting another. It’s also just as possible to hope MM wins, but predict KOT will.

For example, I’m sure every PSU fan hopes to have 10 champs. However, judging by just the last few years, odds are against that happening.
Nobody said anything about 10 champions. You are giving O'Toole one though, based on the fact he has two.

I suppose it's a good thing Cenzo didn't go ahead and give Martinez his third, when he went ahead and won. I believe he was a freshman also.

You are just pissed off because I called you out for giving something that has to be earned ALL OVER AGAIN each year, without a single point given for past championships.

So far in this thread you’ve gotten pissed over people predicting (again different than giving) Crookham beating Nagao, and KOT beating MM. Neither are exactly far fetched based on prior results and accomplishments.

I’m not pissed at all. You seem to be hung up on this idea that people are just handing out championships. This isn’t Oprah, although maybe she can help you, you seem awfully caught up in your feelings.

So far in this thread you’ve gotten pissed over people predicting (again different than giving) Crookham beating Nagao, and KOT beating MM. Neither are exactly far fetched based on prior results and accomplishments.

I’m not pissed at all. You seem to be hung up on this idea that people are just handing out championships. This isn’t Oprah, although maybe she can help you, you seem awfully caught up in your feelings.

And just like that another unsuspecting poster becomes ensnared in a biomed web of irrationality.

Last edited:
Serrano has a similar record and owns a win over Bailey. I wonder if he would be getting as much respect as Nasir if he were in Nagao's path.

A Freshman from Little Rock sets the NCAA on its ear. That would make a great story, but I have to see it to believe it. I think Nagao will give Nasir all he can handle.

Nobody said anything about 10 champions. You are giving O'Toole one though, based on the fact he has two.

I suppose it's a good thing Cenzo didn't go ahead and give Martinez his third, when he went ahead and won. I believe he was a freshman also.

You are just pissed off because I called you out for giving something that has to be earned ALL OVER AGAIN each year, without a single point given for past championships.
Here's the difference, put another way...I think there is a better likelihood of you posting a video of eating crow, than Mitch winning. But, Mich definitely has a chance.

Reactions: PSUbluTX
Don't understand some of these percentages.

Stanich and Ayala both have pretty clear paths to the quarterfinals; I would estimate both at around 85%. Better chances than Davis, IMO.

I would put Davis a little lower (say 60%) than what your 70%, but that's a quibble for these type of semi-educated guesses.

Ramos would have to get by Surtain (#13 seed), a lower seed but a dangerous opponent. I'd estimate the probability of Ramos making the quarters at around 60%

Noto would have to get by Volk (#5 seed). Barnett would have to get by Camacho (7). I would give both < 50% probability to make the quarters; call it 40% for both.

I don't know what you use to come up with your probabilities. I wrote an R routine to pull all the wrestlers results, compare common opponents, compare opponents' opponents, and factor in margin of victory. It also accounts for previous years results but applies heavier weight to the current year.

The simplest way to answer your question is to go to Wrestlestat and use their Quality Match feature when looking at an individual wrestler. Stanich is 2-2 against Top 16 wrestlers. This is the best predictor of NCAA tournament success by far. His round 2 matchup against the winner of DeAugustino or Smith is around 60/40.

According to the calculations Noto is a 65/35 against Volk. Volk is 4-2 in quality wins, with lots of close matches. Noto is 1-0, but was 4-2 last year and finished 4th at NCAA's. I liked what I saw from each of these wrestlers.

Ayala is 8-3 in quality matches which is one of the higher values at 125. But his potential second bouts are not going to be easy. Provo is 3-3 with 8-1 wins over both Ramos and Volk. He is dangerous. Strickenberger is 0-1 according to WrestleStat because it doesn't count any of 2 wins against Stevo Poulin, a fall against Terukina, and a win against Kaylor as quality wins. The computer says Ayala is not an 85% favorite against either of these guys. Ayala has one of the better chances to make the semis though. Cooper Flynn is not particularly strong and Ayala has a head to head SV win against Spratley.

Davis is a very strong favorite against the Lujan/Joyce winner (95/5). Davis is an 80/20 against Ungar and 75/25 against Peterson. Yes I know in the match head to head they went to SV, but Davis is 12-1 against common opponents while Peterson is 9-7. Davis is 5-1 in quality matches while Peterson is 3-5.

I don't know why everyone seems to be assuming McKee will be the opponent of Davis if he makes it. McKee has two coin flips to get there (according to the computer). Terukina is equally likely and Figs is the most likely because he is 80/20 over Berginc. I like Pat McKee I will be pulling for him I just don't think he is likely. There is roughly a 75% chance it is NOT McKee.

People on here saying Davis has a terrible draw is an opinion I don't get. Where the heck would you place him to satisfy these guys. Davis 2 losses are in bottom half. Obviously he's been in a lot of tight scraps but finds a way to win. If he faces Peterson again, stay out of upper body and put it to him this time with no controversy. I'm sure the coaches are working specifically with Daviss handling of all these shorter muscle mutts. Go gettem Braden!
Maybe some are misreading the brackets thinking Davis first match is winner of Peterson/Unger, not Joyce/Brown? Just a thought.

Reactions: Franklinstheman
I don't know what you use to come up with your probabilities. I wrote an R routine to pull all the wrestlers results, compare common opponents, compare opponents' opponents, and factor in margin of victory. It also accounts for previous years results but applies heavier weight to the current year.

The simplest way to answer your question is to go to Wrestlestat and use their Quality Match feature when looking at an individual wrestler. Stanich is 2-2 against Top 16 wrestlers. This is the best predictor of NCAA tournament success by far. His round 2 matchup against the winner of DeAugustino or Smith is around 60/40.

According to the calculations Noto is a 65/35 against Volk. Volk is 4-2 in quality wins, with lots of close matches. Noto is 1-0, but was 4-2 last year and finished 4th at NCAA's. I liked what I saw from each of these wrestlers.

Ayala is 8-3 in quality matches which is one of the higher values at 125. But his potential second bouts are not going to be easy. Provo is 3-3 with 8-1 wins over both Ramos and Volk. He is dangerous. Strickenberger is 0-1 according to WrestleStat because it doesn't count any of 2 wins against Stevo Poulin, a fall against Terukina, and a win against Kaylor as quality wins. The computer says Ayala is not an 85% favorite against either of these guys. Ayala has one of the better chances to make the semis though. Cooper Flynn is not particularly strong and Ayala has a head to head SV win against Spratley.

Davis is a very strong favorite against the Lujan/Joyce winner (95/5). Davis is an 80/20 against Ungar and 75/25 against Peterson. Yes I know in the match head to head they went to SV, but Davis is 12-1 against common opponents while Peterson is 9-7. Davis is 5-1 in quality matches while Peterson is 3-5.

I don't know why everyone seems to be assuming McKee will be the opponent of Davis if he makes it. McKee has two coin flips to get there (according to the computer). Terukina is equally likely and Figs is the most likely because he is 80/20 over Berginc. I like Pat McKee I will be pulling for him I just don't think he is likely. There is roughly a 75% chance it is NOT McKee.
Now THAT’s top shelf intel. A software guy, I love when folks bring logic and data (not hips, Tim Johnson) to the party. Actually thought Ayala might get top seed for all the quality wins, including Braedon, Ramos, Spratley, McKee(2). What a fabulously chaotic, 15-guys-can-win-it weight class this is!

User warned for instigating.

Yeah, you are pissed. You sound like a big KOT fan. This is your 4th rebuttal supporting him to beat Mitchell.

On a purely eye test evaluation, what I saw at B1Gs leads me to believe, in both Davis and Kasaks case, is a switch got flipped and I think (hope) they made a level jump.

Does Wolak have more quality wins than Starocci? Did Wolak's 2 early season loses not count?
Losses are not part of seeding criteria, except for Win %.

Wolak beat 11 Incontrera, 12 Pasiuk, 22 Eischens, 27 Baker, 30 Simma. (Final Coaches' Poll rankings.)

That's 2 more NQs than Carter did. Since Carter did not beat any Tier 1 guys, Wolak most likely did outscore him in the Quality Wins criterion.

Not seeing a lot of belief in Nagao. Disappointed actually in this. Personally I think he is twice the wrestler now than he was in November.

Gotta get by Bailey and then I'll say a punchers chance against Crookham.
Some one has to falter or PSU will be over 200 points.

Who is the least likely, and the most likely.

Go.....

Trying to practical? LOL.

If Nageo's chances of making it to the final is 30%, be interested on your take for the chances of Orine (3 seed), Arujau (6), Bailey (7), and Crookam (2). All guys on same side of the bracket as Nageo.

Similar question for 125. If Davis is 50%, what are the chances for Peterson, McKee, Figueroa, Volk, Noto, Surtin, and Ramos. Again, all guys on the same side of the bracket as Davis. I'd say the difference between most of those guys (including Davis) is pretty thin. Yet Davis has a 50% chance, leaving the other 50% for all the remaining guys? Sure.

Same for Kasak. If he's at 50%, what about the chances for Parco (2), Arrington (3), Gomez (6), or even Lamer (10). They get to split the remaining 50%? Plus Kasak's first round opponent (Alas) seems like he should be higher than a #26 seed.
Sheesh take a breath

Last edited:
Or: as has been explained several times before, the committee followed the formula that everybody agreed to before the season started.

These seeding criteria for Carter would not have changed if he had done what you suggested:
- He had no RPI --> gave away 10 pts in every seeding sim match
- DNP at B10s --> gave away another 10 pts to every qualifier
- He was 6th in Win % --> gave away 10 pts to Lewis, Griffith, DeVos, Ruth, and Conigliaro; +10 pts vs everyone else
- He only beat 3 NQs (Kennedy, Welsh, Incontrera), none top tier. He likely lost Quality Wins (15-5 split) to many other NQs.
- Losing to Sparks cost him Common Opponents against Ruth and Welsh.
Just trying to save some of your time and your sanity, they don't seem to get it.

Agreed, just to many people making such a big deal over it is rather annoying.

Yes I do feel as though Lewis got burnt, he still has to beat carter to get 1st.

Reactions: JOESTROSSER

I ❤️ data!

Yeah, you are pissed. You sound like a big KOT fan. This is your 4th rebuttal supporting him to beat Mitchell.
Yes, I am a KOT fan. No, I am not pisssd. I don’t get pissed over discussing wrestling with anonymous names. I’m also a PSU fan. I can also hope someone wins, but in the back of my mind realize the odds are stacked against them. It’s like playing the power ball, I hope I win but odds aren’t good.

I give MM a much better chance at beating KOT than me winning the powerball, but still think KOT is favored. Which he is.

Pat Pecora of UPJ got another National Champ. Jacop Early was the 2 seed and won the National Championship at 149lbs. 12-7. UPJ fished 6th in the championship with a 1st, a 5th and 2 7th place finishers in addition to Early's National Championship. Not bad for Pecora Go UPJ!

I prefer using judgement over data. Using information like;
-Has the wrestler been cutting weight all season.
-Is the wrestler banged up
-How has the wrestlers form been lately? Have they been struggling down the stretch or coming on strong?

You aren't going to get these things from data.
Umm ... those are all forms of data. And two of them are fairly easily quantifiable.

Yes, I am a KOT fan. No, I am not pisssd. I don’t get pissed over discussing wrestling with anonymous names. I’m also a PSU fan. I can also hope someone wins, but in the back of my mind realize the odds are stacked against them. It’s like playing the power ball, I hope I win but odds aren’t good.

I give MM a much better chance at beating KOT than me winning the powerball, but still think KOT is favored. Which he is.
You're being trolled.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT