ADVERTISEMENT

Noteworthy Results & Goldfish Games: Week of 1/6 - 1/9

Brands said he would only go once this weekend. Probably smarter to have him go against Purdue for his first match in 6 weeks than against Byrd.

Thanks. I actually was wondering more about his overall absence this season but any insight is appreciated.

Thanks. I actually was wondering more about his overall absence this season but any insight is appreciated.
Some sort of injury. I have no inside info and Brands doesn’t disclose injuries. Not sure he will make much of a difference. The way it looks now you guys might have the title wrapped up Friday morning at NCAA’s.

There was no gif for that?
giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Sad
Reactions: mcpat
Random fact:

Wrestlestat lists the following number of wrestlers on the following teams’ rosters:

47 Iowa State
43 Lehigh
42 Oklahoma State
41 Missouri
38 Iowa
37 UNI
37 Cornell
36 Nebraska
35 Michigan
34 NC State
33 Ohio State
33 Pitt
32 Minnesota
32 VA Tech
32 Penn State

Reactions: danoftw
I had been thinking that HR was over the top with their post-dual negative posts in the Illinois thread. I had thought they wrestled without several starters. Then I checked it out more closely… they were without Teske and Woods, and it’s prob a toss-up between Teske and Schriever regardless. Woods is easily an 8 point swing, if not more, and turns a 25-19 nailbiter into (at least) a comfortable 29-15 win. But they still lose 4 matches to (# T-30) Illinois. Ouch.

I had been thinking that HR was over the top with their post-dual negative posts in the Illinois thread. I had thought they wrestled without several starters. Then I checked it out more closely… they were without Teske and Woods, and it’s prob a toss-up between Teske and Schriever regardless. Woods is easily an 8 point swing, if not more, and turns a 25-19 nailbiter into (at least) a comfortable 29-15 win. But they still lose 4 matches to Illinois. Ouch.
It can get to be tough when during the coaches recruiting period the coaches can't figure out who to call, and during the parent's portal recruiting period someone put Mineo onto Lar before he could get anybody other than the Real deal.

It can get to be tough when during the coaches recruiting period the coaches can't figure out who to call, and during the parent's portal recruiting period someone put Mineo onto Lar before he could get anybody other than the Real deal.
And now it sounds like Jesuroga may be done wrestling for good. Hasn’t wrestled at all this High School season and rumor on HR is he wants to join the Navy and become a seal.

And now it sounds like Jesuroga may be done wrestling for good. Hasn’t wrestled at all this High School season and rumor on HR is he wants to join the Navy and become a seal.

The only person I’ve seen say anything about Seals is Mineo; but outside that - it gets more interesting each week. Last I checked, though, Willie still had him atop his rankings. And Iowa Wrestling tweeted he was signed on signing day. I’m still guessing he’s hurt.

Reactions: jmadden1998
I had been thinking that HR was over the top with their post-dual negative posts in the Illinois thread. I had thought they wrestled without several starters. Then I checked it out more closely… they were without Teske and Woods, and it’s prob a toss-up between Teske and Schriever regardless. Woods is easily an 8 point swing, if not more, and turns a 25-19 nailbiter into (at least) a comfortable 29-15 win. But they still lose 4 matches to (# T-30) Illinois. Ouch.
I think it was the performance of some individual veteran starters (as opposed to the closeness of the team scores) that has them so down on the team and staff.

Brands, Assad, and Warner will be key components to a respectable team finish at Nationals, and all 3 looked pretty flat and ineffective last night. That those performances are commonplace (i.e., not just “a bad day”) has their fans rightfully questioning what the hell is going on over there.

Having a top 10 recruit decide to quit is not a big deal per Ironbird. Easily one of his dumbest posts and he was getting hammered for it last night.

I think it was the performance of some individual veteran starters (as opposed to the closeness of the team scores) that has them so down on the team and staff.

Brands, Assad, and Warner will be key components to a respectable team finish at Nationals, and all 3 looked pretty flat and ineffective last night. That those performances are commonplace (i.e., not just “a bad day”) has their fans rightfully questioning what the hell is going on over there.
Can we get the Brands boys a 10 year extension? 20 would be better.

Yeah. Told them over on HR at the beginning of last season that they would be calling for the Brands brothers heads within 4 or 5 years. Some of them are starting early.. lol

Can't seem to find the in-match thread from last night's Wisconsin dual. Always look forward to reading good pearls of info in there. Can anyone help me out here?

Did you enjoy the venue? It looked pretty cool on tv.
Gushy seats, wall to wall good close views, a much younger crowd than Rec, lots of electronic rah-rah including Vegas style cheerleaders strutting their stuff with weight signs between matches. They had all the cheerleaders in a side box and they tried to lead lots of cheers DURING action, but, the fans were not buying it. The theater only holds 1,500 - 2,000, but, it was packed and very loud at the right times (my watch dinged me with several excessive noice warning). Hard mat returns vibrated right up into the seats …. which thrilled the kids ….. and adults.

Took in the Latona- Vito match last night at the little theater in Blacksburg. Latona got to Vito’s legs with relative ease. Vito looked old and tired on a night when the other Cornell stars shined.
interesting... it's January... and he just had a tough bout 3 days ago..

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Took in the Latona- Vito match last night at the little theater in Blacksburg. Latona got to Vito’s legs with relative ease. Vito looked old and tired on a night when the other Cornell stars shined.
I thought that Vito would give RBY a tough match and he still might but after seeing Latona live on Vito’s legs I’m reconsidering. Vito is quick but RBY is quicker and I can’t see Vito getting to his offense. RBY is too good defensively and is such a high percentage finisher I think he takes Vito down multiple times in a comfortable win. Spencer, CStar, and AB are all incredible but I’ve come around to RBY being the best wrestler in the country this year

Can't seem to find the in-match thread from last night's Wisconsin dual. Always look forward to reading good pearls of info in there. Can anyone help me out here?
“Wisconsin Match Thread”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT