ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 Phillies Thread.....

I've seen occasional Cole Hamels trade rumors - nothing serious, just banter.

What do people think about this if the Phils only traded a few prospects? There are currently no lefties in the starting rotation. Cole has a 3.48 ERA.

yeah, I've heard that as well, though it's hard to tell if that's sports talk wishful thinking, or some other source that's not based on facts.

Cole still has his house in the Philadelphia suburbs, so that probably stokes some of the thoughts/hopes/talk.

He's signed thru 2018 (he's still on his Phillies contract from 2014), though he becomes vested for 2019 if he meets several criteria (I'm not sure if he can make all the criteria after his injury last year). If he vests, he's signed thru 2019. If he doesn't vest, there's a $6 mill buyout. I don't know the specifics, but he has some type of trade protection in his current contract.

The Rangers gave up a lot to get Hamels, so I would expect they'd want a nice package were they to trade him. If the Phils are in the hunt at the trade deadline, and the Rangers are not, then perhaps it would make sense. As I hate to give up top prospects from the minors, I'd favor waiting until he becomes a UFA, and try to sign him then.

Reactions: Grant Green
I've seen occasional Cole Hamels trade rumors - nothing serious, just banter.

What do people think about this if the Phils only traded a few prospects? There are currently no lefties in the starting rotation. Cole has a 3.48 ERA.
Like him more as a FA add

Reactions: Grant Green
yeah, I've heard that as well, though it's hard to tell if that's sports talk wishful thinking, or some other source that's not based on facts.

Cole still has his house in the Philadelphia suburbs, so that probably stokes some of the thoughts/hopes/talk.

He's signed thru 2018 (he's still on his Phillies contract from 2014), though he becomes vested for 2019 if he meets several criteria (I'm not sure if he can make all the criteria after his injury last year). If he vests, he's signed thru 2019. If he doesn't vest, there's a $6 mill buyout. I don't know the specifics, but he has some type of trade protection in his current contract.

The Rangers gave up a lot to get Hamels, so I would expect they'd want a nice package were they to trade him. If the Phils are in the hunt at the trade deadline, and the Rangers are not, then perhaps it would make sense. As I hate to give up top prospects from the minors, I'd favor waiting until he becomes a UFA, and try to sign him then.

I am sure the Rangers are looking to dump salary with Cole if they are not in contention. Figure you are in for what close to $20m with the buyout if just for this year. If you are on the hook for a year and a half, you are in for even more. So the prospects would be in proportion to the salary you pick up. Now, it’s possible he is more attractive if he is the best pitcher available at the deadline and if you further prefer a LHP like Cole. But teams are happy to pull the plug on the financial obligation more than anything.

Can the Phils play .500 ball?

With a 4-1 win over the Orioles and a quarter of the way into the season, they are now playing .600 ball.

I’ll admit, I watched them for the month of March and didn’t see this coming. Nola, Jake, and Nick have all been pretty good. If Eickoff and Vince can be OK, they are in the hunt into September. 85 wins let’s you hang around for awhile.

I’ll admit, I watched them for the month of March and didn’t see this coming. Nola, Jake, and Nick have all been pretty good. If Eickoff and Vince can be OK, they are in the hunt into September. 85 wins let’s you hang around for awhile.
....I would add Efflin has looked great in limited action and Pivetta has been solid and seems to be getting better. Could be looking at a pretty good staff and they are all pretty young save Arrietta.

That's a great win for the Fightins! Blew the lead, battled back and stole this one. Even better that Nola takes the ball tomorrow.

Congratulations to the first place Phillies!! OK, so they're currently tied with the Braves who play tonight and who could very well jump back to a half game lead but still. First place in mid May!! Who would have thought that after the first week of the season??

Dominguez is the first pitcher in baseball history during his first 6 appearances to record no runs allowed, no hits and no walks when recording at least 2 outs in every outing. I think we might have found a closer? I like this Corey Seidman dude on the post game show. He is giving Jason Stark a run for the money with his stats.

That's a great win for the Fightins! Blew the lead, battled back and stole this one. Even better that Nola takes the ball tomorrow.
Agreed that they won ugly today but good teams find a way to win even when not playing their best. Kapler seems to be handling the closing duties well now in the absence of Neris as their automatic closing guy. I also like the number of stolen bases he’s initiating. This team could be around at the end. Worst to first! Oh and Corey Seidman is a great analyst. He talks so fast it’s hard to keep up with him but he knows baseball .

Last edited:
Dominguez is the first pitcher in baseball history during his first 6 appearances to record no runs allowed, no hits and no walks when recording at least 2 outs in every outing. I think we might have found a closer? I like this Corey Seidman dude on the post game show. He is giving Jason Stark a run for the money with his stats.

100%. He should be on the broadcasts as opposed to just post game. He is a great analyst.

Reactions: Relayer
pitching staff is looking pretty solid right now and even have some guys due back soon to provide even more depth.

Neshak due back soon to bolster the pen

Eikoff also beginning his rehab and will be back soon, but may not have a rotation spot available the way the guys are throwing right now. Could be looking a 7 legit stsarters for the 5 man rotation with Lively still hanging around and not doing terrible in his early season opportunity before the injury.

Nice problem to have!

Gotta give the GM's some credit for the trades a few years ago that appear to be panning out nicely

Utley goes to LA for Efflin
Hamels to Texas for Eikoff, Alfaro, Williams...all looking good. Thompson....who was the centerpiece appears to be on the outs right now, but the other pieces are definitely contributing with Alfaro really coming on and should only get better.

Getting Pivetta for Papplebon from our neighbors isn't hurting either!

Reactions: bmw199 and Relayer
pitching staff is looking pretty solid right now and even have some guys due back soon to provide even more depth.

Neshak due back soon to bolster the pen

Eikoff also beginning his rehab and will be back soon, but may not have a rotation spot available the way the guys are throwing right now. Could be looking a 7 legit stsarters for the 5 man rotation with Lively still hanging around and not doing terrible in his early season opportunity before the injury.

Nice problem to have!

Gotta give the GM's some credit for the trades a few years ago that appear to be panning out nicely

Utley goes to LA for Efflin
Hamels to Texas for Eikoff, Alfaro, Williams...all looking good. Thompson....who was the centerpiece appears to be on the outs right now, but the other pieces are definitely contributing with Alfaro really coming on and should only get better.

Getting Pivetta for Papplebon from our neighbors isn't hurting either!

Another arm to keep note of is De Los Santos who was acquired in the Galvis trade. He threw free and easy in Spring Training, similar to the way Dominguez is dealing currently. Ball comes out of his hand very easily.

It will be interesting to see if the Phillies are potential buyers and would consider a trade of young players to get a piece. The one guy that I was told that every team who called the Phillies asked about in the spring was Sanchez. He has not lit up Clearwater to start but I think they view him as being the young arm they would not trade. I would assume Dominguez is getting close to the same status given how heads have turned with him.

Another arm to keep note of is De Los Santos who was acquired in the Galvis trade. He threw free and easy in Spring Training, similar to the way Dominguez is dealing currently. Ball comes out of his hand very easily.

It will be interesting to see if the Phillies are potential buyers and would consider a trade of young players to get a piece. The one guy that I was told that every team who called the Phillies asked about in the spring was Sanchez. He has not lit up Clearwater to start but I think they view him as being the young arm they would not trade. I would assume Dominguez is getting close to the same status given how heads have turned with him.
Sanchez is currently the #1 prospect as ranked by MLB, so I don't think he will be going anywhere unless its a big time offer. No need to rush into anything right now although I would like to see Nick Williams get more AB's....and Gingery really needs to pick it up as he has been scuffling pretty bad both offensively and defensively.

Per Missanelli re: Hamels - "being told by reliable sources that it is in the works"

Perhaps he's correct. Only time will tell. However, while he's a PSU alum who I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt, Missanelli doesn't have the best track record when it comes to starting rumors, or treating rumors as though they were based on fact.

FWIW, there have also been rumblings about the Phillies and the Orioles' Manny Machado. He'll be a FA after this season. The guy that picked him for the Orioles is now high up in the Phil's organization, so there is some connection. The Orioles explored trading Machado last offseason, and they're looking at either trading him by the trade deadline or just letting him walk (or having him give them a shot to match the best FA offer he receives). He won't come cheaply, as several teams have interest in him. As with Hamels, I'd rather the Phils signed him as a FA than give up a lot of prospects for him. However, if the Phils are still in the hunt at the trade deadline, they may be tempted to make a move or two.

Perhaps he's correct. Only time will tell. However, while he's a PSU alum who I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt, Missanelli doesn't have the best track record when it comes to starting rumors, or treating rumors as though they were based on fact.

FWIW, there have also been rumblings about the Phillies and the Orioles' Manny Machado. He'll be a FA after this season. The guy that picked him for the Orioles is now high up in the Phil's organization, so there is some connection. The Orioles explored trading Machado last offseason, and they're looking at either trading him by the trade deadline or just letting him walk (or having him give them a shot to match the best FA offer he receives). He won't come cheaply, as several teams have interest in him. As with Hamels, I'd rather the Phils signed him as a FA than give up a lot of prospects for him. However, if the Phils are still in the hunt at the trade deadline, they may be tempted to make a move or two.
I am all in on Machado if they can extend him.

Make that a condition and trade for him today.

With their current pitching, not sure where Cole fits. I guess you would slot him in as three, Pivetta 4, and then decide between Vince and Eickoff. Personally, I think they would be better served by another bat. Machado is interesting if you slot him at short. The infield is muddied a bit as well.

With their current pitching, not sure where Cole fits. I guess you would slot him in as three, Pivetta 4, and then decide between Vince and Eickoff. Personally, I think they would be better served by another bat. Machado is interesting if you slot him at short. The infield is muddied a bit as well.
#3 for sure. Need someone that can get to the 7th more often and throws LH.

Can't speak to his track record, but I don't hear him cite "reliable sources" very much. Still think they need to be contenders in July to make this happen, but I don't think it's a reach to believe that management is at least discussing the possibility at this time.

Machado seems to come up a lot. Would love him as a FA next season.

Yeah, the Phils pitching is looking pretty good of late. Nola and Arietta appear to be 1 and 2. Hamels would slot at 3, though there is an argument to be made that Pivetta is doing a nice job, and Vince "may" have gotten over the hump. Hamels would be an improvement, though at what cost?

The Phils' offense has been far better than expected. In part, that seems to be based on the OBP of a few of the guys, which helps the rest of the lineup. Machado's bat would be a nice asset to the team. But your point about the infield is a good one. There already seems to be too many starters in the group. Crawford's injury eased that situation a bit, but Kingerey's offense went on hiatus (until the triple the other night), and his D of late has been sub-par. Hernandez has done a great job, especially with the expectation that Kingerey wasn't going to bump him out of the lineup. The left side of the infield still has question marks, so it's hard not to be in favor of adding Machado, but I'd also like to see Crawford play a healthy season, and also see Kingerey go through a season.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Is Dominguez the answer as closer?

A fairly amazing debut so far for this 23-year old right hander -- 6 appearances for 6.2 innings, 0 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, and 7 Strikeouts; has a fastball that seems to be consistently in 96 to 98 mph range

Is Dominguez the answer as closer?

too soon to tell. let's see how he does after teams have had time to scout him, and develop approaches to him. let's also see how he does when he encounters problems, or an ump like the one behind the plate in tonight's game (Monday night's game), who has a strike zone that is inconsistent from pitch to pitch. he was barely in AA and in AAA, so there really is not much of a book on him in the bigs.

the start of his career in the majors certainly has been phenomenal. the conversion of Dominguez from a starter to a reliever looks like a stroke of genius, at least so far.

too soon to tell. let's see how he does after teams have had time to scout him, and develop approaches to him. let's also see how he does when he encounters problems, or an ump like the one behind the plate in tonight's game (Monday night's game), who has a strike zone that is inconsistent from pitch to pitch.

Different position, but the same could be said of another fast starter, Rhys Hoskins. After a very productive late season 2017 and a good start this year, he is hitting .169 for May. Can he "adjust to the adjustments" other teams have made to him?

If you bring in Machado, don't you essentially have to trade an infielder as part of the deal as nowhere else for him to go. Maybe something like Kingery (or Franco) plus one of the back end younger rotation guys that Phils have too many of now and a decent minor league prospect could get it done. If Phils sign Machado, they have to trade away an infielder to make room for him to start and not create an even bigger logjam.

If you bring in Machado, don't you essentially have to trade an infielder as part of the deal as nowhere else for him to go. Maybe something like Kingery (or Franco) plus one of the back end younger rotation guys that Phils have too many of now and a decent minor league prospect could get it done. If Phils sign Machado, they have to trade away an infielder to make room for him to start and not create an even bigger logjam.
Seriously doubt they would deal Kingery after giving him that contract and letting people know that he is part of the future. Franco seems like the obvious man-out. That seems like an easier decision than what to do with Kingery vs Hernandez (or vs Crawford).

Seriously doubt they would deal Kingery after giving him that contract and letting people know that he is part of the future. Franco seems like the obvious man-out. That seems like an easier decision than what to do with Kingery vs Hernandez (or vs Crawford).

I agree if Machado was extended the Phils should think about a deal for him. I'd have no problem including Kingery or Crawford or both. In fact, Kingery's contract deal could be a plus since the Orioles would have him locked up through 2023. Machado has proven in the past three years that he isn't a young phenom who will fizzle after a couple good seasons. The guy is a budding superstar who will be only 26 years old come July. I like the potential of Kingery and Crawford but there's no guarantee they'll reach the level Machado has already attained.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmw199

Also is what is the perceived value of Kingery in a trade. That is going to be a lot higher than Franco. And not like Kingery is lighting the world on fire this year either. Might mean the difference between Franco and an elite minor league prospect or two or Kingery and some mid level minor league prospect.

Also is what is the perceived value of Kingery in a trade. That is going to be a lot higher than Franco. And not like Kingery is lighting the world on fire this year either. Might mean the difference between Franco and an elite minor league prospect or two or Kingery and some mid level minor league prospect.
I agree if Machado was extended the Phils should think about a deal for him. I'd have no problem including Kingery or Crawford or both. In fact, Kingery's contract deal could be a plus since the Orioles would have him locked up through 2023. Machado has proven in the past three years that he isn't a young phenom who will fizzle after a couple good seasons. The guy is a budding superstar who will be only 26 years old come July. I like the potential of Kingery and Crawford but there's no guarantee they'll reach the level Machado has already attained.
Sorry, I meant that they should make a run at Machado next year in free agency. Then trade away Franco and get whatever you can.

It will take an elite prospect to get Machado either way.

Make that a condition and trade for him today.

David Murphy (former Philadelphia Daily News beat writer for the Phillies, and current Philly.com sports columnist) pretty much squelched the chances of the Phils trading for, and being able to sign Machado, in a column in today's Philadelphia Inquirer.

He indicated that the last time a "player with HOF-level production at a middle-infield position reached free agency in his mid-20s" was 2001, when ARod became a FA. ARod signed a contract that in today's dollars would be worth $43.1 Mill per year. Murphy adds that every team in MLB has been preparing their payroll for next offseason, and that every team in the league has an open spot in the lineup for Machado. As such, he sees no way that Dan Lozano (Machado's agent) would agree to a contract with any team that traded for Machado, as they expect that no matter what is offered by such a team, Machado would be offered far more as a FA.

Murphy expects that Lozano's asking price in the offseason will be $50 Mill+ a year.

Machado would be a great addition to the Phils, but I don't see them parting with any significant prospects to trade for him if he's just a rent-a-player. As for how much they're willing to spend for him as a FA, only John Middleton and the other owners can say for sure.

The luxury tax for MLB in 2019 will be $206 Mill. It's kind of hard to pay nearly 1/4th of that amount to one player, especially when you have a young team, whose best players are, for the most part, looking forward to their next contract. Paying $50 Mill per year to one player would also pretty much eliminate any other big-name FA signings in future years, unless the team was content to pay the luxury tax.

Reactions: bmw199
David Murphy (former Philadelphia Daily News beat writer for the Phillies, and current Philly.com sports columnist) pretty much squelched the chances of the Phils trading for, and being able to sign Machado.

He indicated that the last time a "player with HOF-level production at a middle-infield position reached free agency in his mid-20s" was 2001, when ARod became a FA. ARod signed a contract that in today's dollars would be worth $43.1 Mill per year. Murphy adds that every team in MLB has been preparing their payroll for next offseason, and that every team in the league has an open spot in the lineup for Machado. As such, he sees no way that Dan Lozano (Machado's agent) would agree to a contract with any team that traded for Machado, as they expect that no matter what is offered by such a team, Machado would be offered far more as a FA.

Murphy expects that Lozano's asking price in the offseason will be $50 Mill+ a year.

Machado would be a great addition to the Phils, but I don't see them parting with any significant prospects to trade for him if he's just a rent-a-player. As for how much they're willing to spend for him as a FA, only John Middleton and the other owners can say for sure.

The luxury tax for MLB in 2019 will be $206 Mill. It's kind of hard to pay nearly 1/4th of that amount to one player, especially when you have a young team, whose best players are, for the most part, looking forward to their next contract. Paying $50 Mill per year to one player would also pretty much eliminate any other big-name FA signings in future years, unless the team was content to pay the luxury tax.
50 mil per year is too much, especially if it's for more than 3 years.

David Murphy (former Philadelphia Daily News beat writer for the Phillies, and current Philly.com sports columnist) pretty much squelched the chances of the Phils trading for, and being able to sign Machado.

Makes sense. If it were that simple, I would be GM by now.
50 mil per year is too much, especially if it's for more than 3 years.
Be careful I could see him doing that for Harper. I could see Middleton dueling out over $125 per year this offseason. 50 for Harper, ~40 to Machado, the rest to Hamels & pieces/extensions.

Makes sense. If it were that simple, I would be GM by now.

Be careful I could see him doing that for Harper. I could see Middleton dueling out over $125 per year this offseason. 50 for Harper, ~40 to Machado, the rest to Hamels & pieces/extensions.
I've become less of a fan of high price baseball free agents over the years. I'm not firmly against it, but just leery. The upside is at least they are 2 players in their prime.

David Murphy (former Philadelphia Daily News beat writer for the Phillies, and current Philly.com sports columnist) pretty much squelched the chances of the Phils trading for, and being able to sign Machado, in a column in today's Philadelphia Inquirer.

If Machado gets $50m, what does Harper get and then Trout. Something tells me his agent is smoking something. This is where it gets interesting to me. The GM is a build through the farm guy and then spend money wisely. The owner has been described to me as someone approximating Peter Angelos. These guys are on a collision course at some point when Middleton wants to trade farm talent for someone like Machado.

Great win for those first place Philadelphia Phillies!!

Nick Williams already with 3 pinch hit HR's this year. Nola is officially an elite pitcher in MLB. I'm ready to put Dominguez in the closer's role full time.

Reactions: whart
Great win for those first place Philadelphia Phillies!!

Nick Williams already with 3 pinch hit HR's this year. Nola is officially an elite pitcher in MLB. I'm ready to put Dominguez in the closer's role full time.
Really enjoy watching this crew. I had low expectations headed into the season. Lots of good pitching in their minor league system which portends well for the future. This year they will nibble at the edges of the playoffs.....starting next year....look out !

Really enjoy watching this crew. I had low expectations headed into the season. Lots of good pitching in their minor league system which portends well for the future. This year they will nibble at the edges of the playoffs.....starting next year....look out !
Need to get a bat or 2 and will contend this year. I think the pitching is legit and have enough depth and options to keep it going. Santana has been a big disappointment so far.....made several key errors and not hitting much at all....Kingery learnign how to be a big leaguer....Hoskins now has to make some adjustments since the league adjusted to him.

Reactions: royboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT