ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State cruises the country roads to a 34-12 win over West Virginia

I'm not buying what the announcers are selling. The WVU guy was up in him with a hook, AND with his back to the ball.
He pushed off but he was also being held and they missed a horrible call the 4th down--it's all good. 20-6

Reactions: bdgan
Something to watch, there is some storms pushing in to Morgantown from the west that should arrive sometime during half. Could be looking at an extended halftime.

Reactions: Obliviax
The "special" Garrett Greene was 10-18 for 89 yards (less than 5 per attempt) with a whopping 1.5 yards per carry
Allar has more yards rushing
But I'm crazy lol

Edit and 27 of those yards came on what should have been a pick

Solid 1st half for the first game of season. Now, I’d like to see the offense continue and defense put pressure on QB.

'Push off' the defender was all over him.

Actually the push off was illegal, but I think they let it go because the defender initiated illegal-contact (i.e., both were guilty of illegal contact while ball in air) - I guess they could have called Interference in both directions, but you really don't see that, not uncommon to let them duke it out when both are guilty of illegal hand-fighting/shoving.

'Push off' the defender was all over him.
This is true. While it was definitely a push off, the defender arrived early and had hands on him. I would say it was a great no call.

He put it 65 yards in the air

We need it to fly 70, 75 minimum.

Throw was probably a touch late. I blame that on Allar, but it seems he's being coached completely different this year.

Looking darn good on all fronts. Those last two plays for the TD were daggers.

O found rhythm after early jitters. Drew was not perfect but made some very nice throws while Wallace was excellent, stepping up to make the kind of big play that we didn't see from the wide receivers last year. Yet another big play to Evans set up the second TD throw to Wallace. In sum: an early thumbs up on Andy's new offense.

On the other side, our D showed good speed and pursuit as West Virginia came in sky high but could only manage 6 points from their 4 scoring opportunities...and 3 of those were gifted by the zebras after the blown 4th-down placement of the ball on the last Mountaineer drive.

All in all, there's still a half to play but I think we're solidly on track for the W. Famous last words...LOL.

Reactions: psu00
Need to get to the QB though. I was expecting more pressure.
Agree but they only have 88 yards passing. They also had a lucky catch and a great catch. The Fox catch could also have been called incomplete

Offense looks improved, a little clunky at times but Imo that's to be expected in Game 1 in that environment against a decent opponent.

Secondary looks great, gave up some completions but the were contested and forced them to make great plays. Safety tackling has been good, LB tackling has been trash .

My pet peeve is that we rush the QB too often. No sacks in the first half but I recall hitting Green's arm on one pass.

Is it just me or does it seem like Carter isn't having as much impact so far at DE?

Looking darn good on all fronts. Those last two plays for the TD were daggers.

O found rhythm after early jitters. Drew was not perfect but made some very nice throws while Wallace was excellent, stepping up to make the kind of big play that we didn't see from the wide receivers last year. Yet another big play to Evans set up the second TD throw to Wallace. In sum: an early thumbs up on Andy's new offense.

On the other side, our D showed good speed and pursuit as West Virginia came in sky high but could only manage 6 points from their 4 scoring opportunities...and 3 of those were gifted by the zebras after the blown 4th-down placement of the ball on the last Mountaineer drive.

All in all, there's still a half to play but I think we're solidly on track for the W. Famous last words...LOL.
Would like to see a little more success from the running game.

My pet peeve is that we rush the QB too often. No sacks in the first half but I recall hitting Green's arm on one pass.

Is it just me or does it seem like Carter isn't having as much impact so far at DE?
Greene is throwing the ball almost immediately half the time. Im not worried about Carter

Two great play calls:
  • PSU TD pass to Allen releasing over the middle.
  • WVa 7 yd run on 2nd down. That opened up because they flooded everybody to the left.

I think they are giving Coach K props too early. Remember Allar passed for 325 vs WVa last year before fading.

Reactions: m.knox

Carter has given up contain twice. His rush has been fine. Greene is mobile and not holding the ball long. For his 1st game at DE vs a '25 1st rd draft choice, he's doing fine.

Need to get to the QB though. I was expecting more pressure.
Greene is difficult to sack because he's extremely mobile. That's why I think we should be more focused on sealing the edge. That said, WVa will be forced to pass more often if we take a 3 score lead in the second half. We might get some sacks then.

Reactions: GregInPitt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT