ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt fans say the darndest things

My Yinzer accent had people confounded when I moved to LA out of college. It is there, where I learned to enunciate (among other things). ;) :cool: This skill (enunciation) helped me out when I travelled internationally and used interpreters routinely. Give me 5-6 IPA's and I can recall my inner Yinzer quite well!!

See above, in bold...:cool::cool::cool:
talk funny according to a listener is not the same as an accent.

Lol I don't even know why PITTSBURGHERS are so eager to distance themselves from the Midwest. I've spent my entire life (30 years) throughout different towns and cities in both the Midwest and the East Coast. People from the Midwest are far nicer, just as smart, and don't have weird accents. I also find there's this stigma on the east coast that people from the Midwest are "trashier" which....certainly hasn't been my experience.

I certainly won't argue with you on the geography, but I think the notion is that Pittsburgh is culturally similar to Midwestern cities (NOT an insult). Are we allowed to refer to Pittsburgh as Appalachia?
Bite your tongue…Pittsburghers are notoriously nice people (not to be confused with Pitt fans).

Franklin puts out the “Bat Signal” and a few minutes later we know who it is. Because it’s like you know a real prospect actually committing. The DUZZ floated one of his patented “Pat Signal Pitt is it” flares Friday afternoon. The Lair faithful are still breathlessly awaiting who the next 7 time All American is. What does the DUZZ do send out an announcement every time a recruit answers his phone call?

Franklin puts out the “Bat Signal” and a few minutes later we know who it is. Because it’s like you know a real prospect actually committing. The DUZZ floated one of his patented “Pat Signal Pitt is it” flares Friday afternoon. The Lair faithful are still breathlessly awaiting who the next 7 time All American is. What does the DUZZ do send out an announcement every time a recruit answers his phone call?
They rejoice when a verbal has another P5 offer.

When we get several commits he has to do something for attention. From other recruits. From the Pitt fans. From local media. Has to stay relevant somehow.

This. Grew up In The Burgh,live in the Midwest for 10 years ...people are sooo much nicer in the Midwest.
I grew up in Pittsburgh, graduated from PSU in 1980 and have lived in LA, SF, Stamford CT, Chicago, Dallas, Houston and have traveled extensively all over the country. There’s no doubt the East Coast has the worst attitudes with a genuine ‘FU’ approach to anybody & everybody they don’t know in public. By East Coast, I’m referring to anything from DC, Philly, NYC up to Boston. Pittsburgh is more Midwestern than East coast and it’s not even debatable. Just compare Philly to the Burgh and that’s all that’s needed. Yes Ohio State fans are uppity, but that’s like any big time football program fan base. We have our own projected attitudes as Penn State grads/fans.

But visiting, or living in Chicago, Indy, Cincinnati, St Louis, etc., you’ll find far more friendly, open, accommodating people in public than anywhere on the East coat, or better stated: the Northeast. Pittsburgh is the same way, unless you are a PSU grad/fan in direct contact with a Pitt grad/fan. Then it can get ugly, fast.

Last edited:
I grew up in Pittsburgh, graduated from PSU in 1980 and have lived in LA, SF, Stamford CT, Chicago, Dallas, Houston and have traveled extensively all over the country. There’s no doubt the East Coast has the worst attitudes with a genuine ‘FU’ approach to anybody & everybody they don’t know in public. By East Coast, I’m referring to anything from DC, Philly, NYC up to Boston. Pittsburgh is more Midwestern than East coast and it’s not even debatable. Just compare Philly to the Burgh and that’s all that’s needed. Yes Ohio State fans are uppity, but that’s like any big time football program fan base. We have our own projected attitudes as Penn State grads/fans.

But visiting, or living in Chicago, Indy, Cincinnati, St Louis, etc., you’ll find far more friendly, open, accommodating people in public than anywhere in the East coat. Pittsburgh is the same way, unless you are a PSU grad/fan in direct contact with a Pitt grad/fan. Then it can get ugly, fast.

Pittsburgh is NOT more midwestern sir. A common mistake by those who think they know better but don't. It is unique/provincial in its own way. When you tell a 'Pittsburgher' or Western Pa. person they are in the Midwest, they look at you like you are nuts!

Having lived there mostly all of my life, I experienced the Midwestern indifference first hand when traveling in the Midwest and Midwesterners visiting Pittsburgh. Shopping, sporting events, relative visiting, co-workers, etc.

Midwesterner's think the are MUCH better!! Nose out of joint - they look down on other people NOT from there.

This I know to be very true.

Politely and strongly disagree.

Not that's just silly. They don't even rejoice when a recruit gets a MAC offer because they know they've probably going to lose out to Kent St. :)
Pitt lost a Gateway H.S. (Terry Smith's as well as my alma mater, and where TS was head coach) player, Patrick Body, to Cincinnati yesterday. PSU didn't seem to be involved, so with TS's contacts this player must be a level below what PSU is looking for. But it is sad that Pitt can't win a battle against Cincy, even if their coach is seemingly doing a great job with their program.

Maybe Pitt should try and hire Luke Fickell away from Cincy. But with the job Fickell is doing it would make sense for him to hold out for a legit top 10 team for his next destination........

Being west of the Alleghenies, Pittsburgh, geographically, is the start of the Midwest. Culturally, not quite. Hey, residents of Brooklyn vehemently deny they live on Long Island. No amount of reasoning will convince them that they do.

• Sad
Reactions: TheGLOV
Pittsburgh is NOT more midwestern sir. A common mistake by those who think they know better but don't. It is unique/provincial in its own way. When you tell a 'Pittsburgher' or Western Pa. person they are in the Midwest, they look at you like you are nuts!

Having lived there mostly all of my life, I experienced the Midwestern indifference first hand when traveling in the Midwest and Midwesterners visiting Pittsburgh. Shopping, sporting events, relative visiting, co-workers, etc.

Midwesterner's think the are MUCH better!! Nose out of joint - they look down on other people NOT from there.

This I know to be very true.

Politely and strongly disagree.
Well I’ve lived in Pittsburgh and the Midwest and if you compare Pittsburgh to any city on the east coast that I mentioned vs Cincy, Indy, St Louis, even Chicago you would realize that the statement is true. I’m talking about the general overall attitudes of people you meet in public. Whether someone who has lived in the Burgh all their lives likes that or not, it really doesn’t change it. If you are comparing it to experiences you’ve had with Buckeye fans, or Browns fans than perhaps I understand your view. But taking those two exceptions out, there is no doubt Pittsburgh people are more similar to people in the Midwest vs East Coast. Just look at the fan bases in Philly, New York, etc… they’ll get a fight with you in a NY minute before cussing you to no end. There is virtually no eye contact made when walking anywhere in northeastern cities, without someone getting ticked off.

This isn’t even debatable. We aren’t talking city architecture, history, bridges, education, etc.. We are talking about people’s attitudes in public, meaning not your friends. There is a vast difference in people’s attitudes, or common courtesy’s extended in the northeast vs the Midwest. Pittsburgh has genuinely far friendlier, reasonably courteous, easier going people and attitudes towards others in public settings than Philly, NYC, DC, Boston.

Being west of the Alleghenies, Pittsburgh, geographically, is the start of the Midwest. Culturally, not quite. Hey, residents of Brooklyn vehemently deny they live on Long Island. No amount of reasoning will convince them that they do.

Pittsburgh is a transitional city. In fact much of Pa is in a sort of no man’s land. It is not a coastal city but it is not midwestern. It is not New England but it is not a southern city or state. This is true both culturally and politically. While Pa is called the Keystone State it is really a state in limbo. And that hurts the state politically. It is not supported by east coast politicians, nor ones from New England. It is not part of the Southern coalition and the midwestern states consider us an outsider. It has no strong regional allies.

Yep, the people of Pittsburgh have a friendlier attitude than the coastal population. But they are also differ from the midwestern mindset. They are Pittsbughers, Yinzers, Stiller’s fans. A major conglomeration of small neighborhoods that became a city.

And damn proud of it.

Pittsburgh is a transitional city. In fact much of Pa is in a sort of no man’s land. It is not a coastal city but it is not midwestern. It is not New England but it is not a southern city or state. This is true both culturally and politically. While Pa is called the Keystone State it is really a state in limbo. And that hurts the state politically. It is not supported by east coast politicians, nor ones from New England. It is not part of the Southern coalition and the midwestern states consider us an outsider. It has no strong regional allies.

Yep, the people of Pittsburgh have a friendlier attitude than the coastal population. But they are also differ from the midwestern mindset. They are Pittsbughers, Yinzers, Stiller’s fans. A major conglomeration of small neighborhoods that became a city.

And damn proud of it.
Well said. I still love Pittsburgh (21 years) and visit often. It really is unique. My emphasis was on the friendliness factor, which mirrors more of a Midwestern vs Northeast city, but there are always exceptions and we aren’t talking about friends you already know, just about the average interaction with strangers in public.
Funny thing is once I decided to attend Penn State vs virtually any other college in PA, or outside PA, my friends that attended Pitt, or were simply big Pitt fans immediately changed when it came to discussing anything football related. I was the enemy, with no escaping. But it was pretty evenly divided between Pitt fans and Penn State fans and students alike back in the mid 70’s growing up in the Pittsburgh area. The rivalry was at its peak decade, along with the early 80’s and the inner hatred (college sports wise) was real and unavoidable.

It is NOT the start of the Midwest. Geographically you are so wrong.

Geez are you dumb.

Only the stupid think it is and you cannot fix stupid no matter how hard you try.

Reasoning, sound that is, went out the window with your ignorant post.

And damn proud of it.

I've tried to tell people same but, due to their incredible arrogance, you can't convince them otherwise.

Provincial people; provincial.

Unique!!

Reactions: GulfCoastLion
Pittsburgh is located in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Three of the last six Governors of Pennsylvania (including the current one, Tom Corbett) hail from Pittsburgh. Andrew Mellon and Andrew Carnegie, key historical figures associated with Pittsburgh, both traveled frequently between New York and Pittsburgh. Because of their location and their history, Pittsburghers consider themselves as part of the Northeast. If you went to get a Pittsburgher pissed, tell him that he is a Midwesterner. As someone said,

You know that you are from Pittsburgh if you hate Cleveland and you have never been there.

Born and raised in Pittsburgh, and having lived for a time in both New York City and in Chicago, I can say that most Pittsburghers are more comfortable in New York than in Chicago. Have you ever been in Pittsburgh traffic and observed how pushy and nasty Pittsburghers can be with each other?

Pittsburgh may say "pop" but they do so with a decided Eastern accent ("ppoahp"), not the soft, whiny "paiihp" that one hears in the Midwest...

Last edited:
Pittsburgh is located in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Three of the last six Governors of Pennsylvania (including the current one, Tom Corbett) hail from Pittsburgh. Andrew Mellon and Andrew Carnegie, key historical figures associated with Pittsburgh, both traveled frequently between New York and Pittsburgh. Because of their location and their history, Pittsburghers consider themselves as part of the Northeast. If you went to get a Pittsburgher pissed, tell him that he is a Midwesterner. As someone said,

Born and raised in Pittsburgh, and having lived for a time in both New York City and in Chicago, I can say that most Pittsburghers are more comfortable in New York than in Chicago. Have you ever been in Pittsburgh traffic and observed how pushy and nasty Pittsburghers can be with each other?

Pittsburgh may say "pop" but they do so with a decided Eastern accent ("ppoahp"), not the soft, whiny "paiihp" that one hears in the Midwest...
Tom Corbett is the current governor??? Where did you cut and paste that from?

Maybe that’s why I enjoy living in Houston, TX now. Houston is easily the size of Chicago and growing (still listed as #4 because of tighter city limits). Yes there is lower cost of living, housing, gas prices, no state income tax, incredible job market, etc (summer heat/humidity sucks), but drivers don’t take crap from anyone as they speed around the many beltways (3) and 8 lane highways across the city and surroundings. And many, if not most are driving large full size trucks, or large full size SUV’s and will run you off the road if you try pulling stunts in traffic (zig zagging/cutting in front with no turn signal, etc). They majority carry guns with them too, so good luck trying to attempt car road rage, or flipping the finger too long. 🤣🤣

Reactions: bison13

Glov
Please get back on topic stupid crazy azz things Pittsters say.
suggested with all due respect
E21 (21= The Great One)

Reactions: psu00 and TheGLOV
Maybe that’s why I enjoy living in Houston, TX now. Houston is easily the size of Chicago and growing (still listed as #4 because of tighter city limits). Yes there is lower cost of living, housing, gas prices, no state income tax, incredible job market, etc (summer heat/humidity sucks), but drivers don’t take crap from anyone as they speed around the many beltways (3) and 8 lane highways across the city and surroundings. And many, if not most are driving large full size trucks, or large full size SUV’s and will run you off the road if you try pulling stunts in traffic (zig zagging/cutting in front with no turn signal, etc). They majority carry guns with them too, so good luck trying to attempt car road rage, or flipping the finger too long. 🤣🤣
Yep. Houston’s ethnic and cultural transformation, which is more dramatic than that of any other U.S. city in the past century. Stephen L. Klineberg, a sociologist and co-director of the Kinder Institute, has closely charted the demographic changes in Harris County, which covers nearly all of the Houston area and then some, since 1982. “Houston was then an overwhelmingly Anglo city,” he told me. But then the eight-decade-long Texas oil boom fizzled and the city lost 100,000 jobs, mostly among Anglo oil workers, and was plunged into an economic depression that would completely change its population patterns. “In 1980, Anglos made up 63 percent of the population,” Klineberg says. “Now they’re less than 33 percent.” Hispanics in Harris County today constitute 41 percent, he adds, African-Americans 18.4 percent, and Asians and other races 7.8 percent. “The change is even more extreme if you look at the population under 30,” Klineberg says, “where 78 percent are now non-Anglos.”

In the 1960s, New York and L.A. were already vast metropolises, but Houston was a humble outpost of around one million. Since then, aided by the ubiquity of automobiles and air-conditioning, its population has leapt by an average of 20 percent every decade, surging to over four million inhabitants in Harris County and six million within the Greater Houston Metropolitan Area. Much of this growth would alter the area’s ethnic makeup as well, because it took place after 1965, when the nation ended its long-running immigration policy favoring white Western Europeans, and new arrivals were as likely to come from Korea or Congo as Italy and Ireland. In that sense, Houston is the vanguard, Klineberg says: “Houston is 25 years ahead of the rest of the country. Soon all of America will look like this city. There is no force in the world that can stop the United States becoming more Latino, more African-American, more Middle Eastern and Asian. It’s inevitable!”

There are, however, some arguably ominous trends. Perhaps the most disturbing is that, according to the Pew Research Center, Houston is the most income-segregated of the ten largest U.S. metropolitan areas, with the greatest percentage of rich people living among the rich and the third-greatest percentage of poor people among the poor. And the new waves of immigrants are split between highly skilled college graduates (especially Asians), who effortlessly join the upper echelons of Houston, and poorly educated manual laborers (especially Latinos), who trim the lawns and wash restaurant dishes. “The great danger for the future of America is not an ethnic divide but class divide,” Klineberg warns. “And Houston is on the front line, where the gulf between rich and poor is widest. We have the Texas Medical Center, the finest medical facility in the world, but we also have the highest percentage of kids without health care. The inequality is so clear here.” All these forces add urgency to how Houston tackles its problems. “This is where America’s future is going to be worked out.”

If nothing else, the Kinder Institute’s reports underscore how little the country really knows about Houston. Is it, as most New Yorkers and Californians assume, a cultural wasteland? “The only time this city hits the news is when we get a hurricane!” complains James Harithas, director of the Station Museum of Contemporary Art. “People have no idea.” Its image in the outside world is stuck in the 1970s, of a Darwinian frontier city where business interests rule, taxation and regulation are minimal, public services are thin and the automobile is worshiped. “This was boomtown America,” says Klineberg of the giddy oil years. “While the rest of the country was in recession, we were seen as wealthy, arrogant rednecks, with bumper stickers that read, ‘Drive 70 and freeze a Yankee.’” Today, he adds, “Houston has become integrated into the U.S. and global economies, but we still like to think we’re an independent country. We contribute to the image!”

In movies, Houston has served as a metaphor for all that is wrong with urban American life. In the 1983 comedy Local Hero, Burt Lancaster plays an oil CEO who sits in a glass tower plotting environmental devastation, and Houston has been the scene for a disconcerting number of dystopian science fiction movies.

A first-time visitor can still be bewildered by Houston’s sprawl: The population density is less than half that of Los Angeles. It’s the only major U.S. city with no formal zoning code—hence the chaotic and often disheveled urban landscape. Skyscrapers sprout between high schools, strip joints, restaurants and parking lots, all tied into the knots of endless concrete highways. And yet Houston has a thriving art scene, with a startling choice of museums and galleries, and its 17-block theater district claims to have the largest concentration of seats outside of Broadway. Last summer, Forbes declared Houston “the coolest city in America,” based on indices such as the number of cultural venues, the amount of designated green space, and, of course, ethnic diversity. It didn’t hurt that the Houston area has largely brushed off the recent recession, reporting 3.8 percent (non-farm) job growth in 2012, or that the city’s median age is only 32.1, compared with 37.2 for the United States as a whole in 2010.

“We need to reinvent ourselves and improve our image,” says Cressandra Thibodeaux, executive director of 14 Pews, a cinema and gallery in a renovated church, which was set to host the H-Town Multicultural Film Festival, celebrating Houston’s diversity, in June. “You hear about how Pittsburgh and Detroit are going through a renaissance, with new immigrant cultures and artists changing the city. But people don’t know about how Houston is being transformed. It’s still got the old cowboy hat image, a hot, ugly city, where you just go to work.”

To thwart this stereotype, the first place to visit is the Rothko Chapel. A Modernist masterpiece of religious art, it lies in a verdant oasis of museums, gardens and outdoor sculptures created in the 1960s by two philanthropists flush with oil money, John and Dominique de Menil. (The superb Menil Collection Museum, designed by Renzo Piano, has been a pilgrimage site for international art lovers since it opened in 1987.) The nondenominational chapel is the most serene corner of this leafy precinct: Mark Rothko created 14 rich black, maroon and plum-colored paintings for the octagonal space (designed in part by Philip Johnson), which has meditation cushions for visitors to contemplate the art in silence. On a bench are more than two dozen texts from world religions, including the King James Bible, the Koran, the Torah, the Book of Mormon, and Hindu and Buddhist works. The chapel is a clue that Houston is perhaps a more tolerant and open-minded place than it is given credit for.

Another clue is that Houston is the largest U.S. city to have an openly lesbian mayor, Annise Parker, a Democrat, who has pressed President Obama to act on gay marriage, which is banned in Texas.

Clearly, a lot more is happening in Houston—nicknamed The Big Heart after the city and its people aided Hurricane Katrina victims—than concrete freeways. So I sought out four people for anecdotal evidence of the city’s unexpected new life.

Only two miles east of the manicured Museum District lies the Third Ward, for decades one of the city’s poorest African-American neighborhoods—and the site of Houston’s most ambitious creative project, the brainchild of artist Rick Lowe.

In 1993, Lowe and others began renovating a block of derelict shotgun shacks into gallery spaces, creating Project Row Houses. He was inspired by the idea of “social sculpture,” pioneered by the artists Joseph Beuys and John Biggers, who argued that any way we shape the world around us is a form of art, including urban renovation. Today, seven formerly abandoned houses, some of which had been used for drugs and prostitution, are exhibition spaces for resident artists, who participate in community life. Another row of salvaged houses, sporting neat lawns and gleaming white paint, is occupied by single mothers. Their success has brought life back to the neighborhood, and has been a springboard for renovations across the Third Ward. Abandoned venues have been given practical functions and turned into social hubs. An old speakeasy has been reborn as a laundromat. The Eldorado Ballroom, where B.B. King, Ella Fitzgerald and Duke Ellington played, has been rescued from dereliction and once again stages music events. “From the 1940s to the ’60s, the Third Ward was known as Little Harlem,” says Project Row Houses’ public art curator, Ryan Dennis. “There was a tailor’s shop in this building for musicians. The Temptations flew to Houston just to get their suits cut here.”

When I arrived to talk with Lowe, I found him playing dominoes with a trio of older artists at an outside table in the sunshine. After he’d finished—the game is a community ritual, he explained, which he never interrupts—we took a walk through the galleries, which contained sculptures made from antique doors, video installations of men recounting their romantic lives and a studio where the performance artist Autumn Knight was rehearsing for her show, Roach Dance. Lowe, who is tall and lean and was raised in rural Alabama, first came to the city on a road trip in 1984, he said. “Houston is a good place for an artist to stretch dollars. The rents are low, there are lots of wide open spaces, there’s cheap Mexican food.” Undaunted by the economic depression of the ’80s (“When you’re poor, everywhere is depressed!”), he found the city’s independent creative spirit addictive. “I thought I’d stay for a couple of years. It’s 28 now.”

The genesis of Project Row Houses dates back to 1992, Lowe recalls, when he was volunteering at a community center in the Third Ward and saw city officials being given a bus tour of Houston’s dangerous places. “They stopped right in front of this row of buildings and were told that this was the very worst spot in Houston.” The next year, he decided to salvage the same blighted stretch. For Lowe, the city’s lack of regulation and zoning encourages artists as well as businesses to carry out plans that might seem impossible elsewhere. “This is a private initiative city,” he says. “If you have an idea and you want to do it, Houston is one of the best places in America to be, because nobody is going to put anything in your way.” Project Row Houses soon became involved in erecting new housing in nearby streets, funded by donations from the city, philanthropists and corporations, including Ikea. (“Just because it’s low income doesn’t mean that it has to look bad,” says Dennis.) So far, five blocks of the Third Ward have been renovated, with plans to help improve another 80 in the area, and Lowe has been invited to advise on urban renewal projects from Philadelphia to Opa-locka, Florida, to Seoul, South Korea. The art critic of the New York Times recently wrote that Project Row Houses “may be the most impressive and visionary public art project in the country.”

John Smith
Updated 3 years ago
NEITHER
Due to it’s geographic position, it possesses some traits from both the East Coast and Midwest; but for any local to claim they are “East Coast” is lost in a fantasy.
  • Remember that Pittsburgh is equally close to Detroit and Cincinnati as it is Philadelphia, Columbus and Cleveland being even closer.
  • Pittsburgh is older than most of the Midwest, however it’s industrialization matches closely to the Rust Belt (Think Gary, IN or Flint, MI or Youngstown, OH). It’s architecture is more reminiscent of the East Coast.
  • Pittsburgh geography is unlike the East Coast or the Midwest (hills, mountains, etc.).
  • Professional sports teams are more closely aligned with the Midwest.
Having personally lived in both the Midwest and East Coast, and visited Pittsburgh countless times, there is nothing about Pittsburgh that reminds me of the East Coast. Nothing. No distinct accent. No “hustle and bustle” of the fast life.
I find Pittsburgh to be culturally closer to the Midwest. If you put 3 people in a room, 1 from New York, 1 from Indianapolis, and 1 from Pittsburgh. The New Yorker would be obvious from the moment you see them and hear them talk, the other 2 would seem almost indecipherable.
That being said, mid-westerners would not consider Pittsburgh to be a part of the Midwest, nor would I find East Coasters to associate Pittsburgh with their region or culture.
TL:DR - Pittsburgh is a unique city.

Michelle Pilecki

, Third-generation Pittsburgher, lifelong student
Updated 3 years ago · Author has 1.9K answers and 1.3M answer views
East. Most definitely.
I’ve long defined the outpost of civilization to be Sewickley, a suburb NW of Pittsburgh. From Ohio, it’s all downhill (though only metaphorically, as there are no real hills in Ohio).
Pittsburgh was established before the U.S.A. It was a key point in pre-Revolutionary battles between European empires. In the early days of the Republic, Pittsburgh was the “Far West,” the frontier. We have so many “first [something] west of the Alleghenies,” hospitals, newspapers, houses of worship, colleges, etc. Pittsburgh was definitely a player in the early U.S. And let us not forget, was part of one of the original states.
While many of you can dispute “East Coast” and its literal meaning, I affirm that Pittsburgh is firmly, historically part of “The East.”
Historically, we are not Midwestern. Culturally, we are not Midwestern. Topographically, we are not Midwestern. Linguistically, we are not Midwestern. In many ways, we are our own little unique pocket of America, when “western expansion” was defined by a less developed technology, borders were long unsettled,
We’re also close to the Mason-Dixon line. Before that 18th century marvel of engineering was completed, Virginia disputed Pennsylvania’s claim to Pittsburgh. (The young George Washington was the first to declare this area part of Virginia; there were regular tussles for several years.) This is all to note that Pittsburgh has absorbed more “Southern” culture than either the northern Midwest or our immediate neighbors to the east.
https://www.quora.com/Is-190k-a-year-enough-to-live-in-Pittsburgh

It is NOT the start of the Midwest. Geographically you are so wrong.

Geez are you dumb.

Only the stupid think it is and you cannot fix stupid no matter how hard you try.

Reasoning, sound that is, went out the window with your ignorant post.
Geographically, the Midwest is between the Rockies and the Alleghenies. Your narrow mind cannot separate political lines on a map from geographical features. Since you admit you can't be fixed, I'll leave you to your delusions.

• Sad
Geographically, the Midwest is between the Rockies and the Alleghenies. Your narrow mind cannot separate political lines on a map from geographical features. Since you admit you can't be fixed, I'll leave you to your delusions.

Wrong again dumb ass!

The Midwest, as defined by the federal government comprises the states of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

You were the type of kid that when you got a bad grade, on a test or in any subject matter, mommy & daddy ran down to complain to the principal about it!

Major Landforms in the Midwestern Region​

158c52be72ad48d28a6de7ed1936812a

•••

What Are the Most Common Landforms?
RELATED

What Are the Most Common Landforms?​

Updated April 25, 2018
By Diana K. Williams
Landforms are physical features of the earth that have formed without influence from humans. Although the Midwestern region of the United States is generally flat, it contains some major landforms that vary in elevation, such as rolling hills, rising mountains and descending valleys. Flatter landforms include plains, plateaus and large lakes. The Midwest is made up of Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, Wisconsin, North and South Dakota, and Minnesota.

Plains and Plateaus​

The Great Plains stretch across the Midwest from Missouri and Nebraska, where there are relatively flat grasslands with treeless areas and fertile soil suited for farming, northward to the hillier country of the Dakotas. Plateaus are landforms similar to plains in that they are flat, but they are found at higher elevations than plains and are usually surrounded by steep slopes. Two plateaus in the Midwest are the Appalachian Plateau in eastern Ohio and the Ozark Plateau in southern Missouri and portions of Kansas and Illinois.

Mountains and Hills​

The Ozark Mountains are a heavily forested, highland area that traverse the Midwest primarily through Missouri and portions of southern Illinois and southeastern Kansas. Hills are formed from the deposition of erosion or are the remains of a weathered mountains. The Black Hills in western South Dakota formed from rock being lifted upward, then wind and water eroding away the summit of a mountain. At 1,772 feet, the highest peak in the Midwest is Missouri's Taum Sauk Mountain.

Lakes and Rivers​

Rivers and lakes are not always considered landforms, but they are naturally occurring physical features of the earth. The Great Lakes, consisting of lakes Erie, Superior, Huron, Michigan and Ontario, border the states of Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin and make up 20% of the world's fresh water. Major rivers found in the Midwest are: the Mississippi, which runs from northwest Minnesota to the Gulf of Mexico; the Ohio, which forms the southern borders of Ohio, Indiana and Illinois; and the Missouri, which is the longest river in the United States, stretching across the Midwest into the western states.

Valleys and Ravines​

Valleys are natural depressions between hills or mountains formed over long periods of time from water or ice erosion. They have a low elevation and usually slope down toward a body of water. Three major valleys in the Midwest are the Ohio, Missouri and Mississippi valleys. The Badlands, located in western South Dakota, although also formed from water and wind eroding sedimentary rock, differ from the river valleys in that they are compromised of a series of narrow valleys, or ravines, dotted with buttes and ridges.

Last edited:
Wrong again dumb ass!

The Midwest, as defined by the federal government comprises the states of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.
I know this region you are referring to has 🐻. However without alligators 🐊 and 🦈 to terrorize the inhabitants this must be a truly boring place to live.

130 pages and this thread has finally gone to shit all because of an argument of where Pittsburgh is….it’s in PA, outside of that, who cares?

Well, we really should beat pitt before we make fun of them. So what else are we supposed to do?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT