ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt fans say the darndest things

Pittsburgh is located in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Three of the last six Governors of Pennsylvania (including the current one, Tom Corbett) hail from Pittsburgh. Andrew Mellon and Andrew Carnegie, key historical figures associated with Pittsburgh, both traveled frequently between New York and Pittsburgh. Because of their location and their history, Pittsburghers consider themselves as part of the Northeast. If you went to get a Pittsburgher pissed, tell him that he is a Midwesterner. As someone said,

Born and raised in Pittsburgh, and having lived for a time in both New York City and in Chicago, I can say that most Pittsburghers are more comfortable in New York than in Chicago. Have you ever been in Pittsburgh traffic and observed how pushy and nasty Pittsburghers can be with each other?

Pittsburgh may say "pop" but they do so with a decided Eastern accent ("ppoahp"), not the soft, whiny "paiihp" that one hears in the Midwest...
So, Tom Corbett is the present governor of Pennsylvania? Tell us Glov, what year is it presently in your world?

• Haha
Reactions: TheGLOV
I grew up in Pittsburgh, graduated from PSU in 1980 and have lived in LA, SF, Stamford CT, Chicago, Dallas, Houston and have traveled extensively all over the country. There’s no doubt the East Coast has the worst attitudes with a genuine ‘FU’ approach to anybody & everybody they don’t know in public. By East Coast, I’m referring to anything from DC, Philly, NYC up to Boston. Pittsburgh is more Midwestern than East coast and it’s not even debatable. Just compare Philly to the Burgh and that’s all that’s needed. Yes Ohio State fans are uppity, but that’s like any big time football program fan base. We have our own projected attitudes as Penn State grads/fans.

But visiting, or living in Chicago, Indy, Cincinnati, St Louis, etc., you’ll find far more friendly, open, accommodating people in public than anywhere on the East coat, or better stated: the Northeast. Pittsburgh is the same way, unless you are a PSU grad/fan in direct contact with a Pitt grad/fan. Then it can get ugly, fast.
I totally disagree about Pittsburgh people being like the Midwest. Not even close

• Love
I grew up in Pittsburgh, graduated from PSU in 1980 and have lived in LA, SF, Stamford CT, Chicago, Dallas, Houston and have traveled extensively all over the country. There’s no doubt the East Coast has the worst attitudes with a genuine ‘FU’ approach to anybody & everybody they don’t know in public. By East Coast, I’m referring to anything from DC, Philly, NYC up to Boston. Pittsburgh is more Midwestern than East coast and it’s not even debatable. Just compare Philly to the Burgh and that’s all that’s needed. Yes Ohio State fans are uppity, but that’s like any big time football program fan base. We have our own projected attitudes as Penn State grads/fans.
The unfriendliness one experiences in DC is a type-A personality and power thing more than an east coat thing. A large percentage of the people in the area aren't from DC, but many are the hyper type-A personality types who are just too focused on what they are doing to give you a second thought. You will also encounter those who think they are important because they are 5th assistant boot licker to the assist boot licker of the chief boot licker of someone who is actually is sort of important.

No, you are Mid-Atlantic!
Not mid Atlantic either. Admit it Glov, you yinzers are Midwesterners! 😬.

iu

Last edited:
  • Sad
I know this annoys some posters, because PITT is in our rear view mirror, but like a moth drawn to the flame I just had to check out the LAIR. Well as Mauti used to say “It’s silly season”. They are off and running with a 5/0 start and a guaranteed double digit winning season.
Well if they can’t do it this season with an embarrassingly weak schedule, Kenny seven yards playing his 19 season, and 14 other players one year away from SSI benefits it will never happen in our lifetime.

I know this annoys some posters, because PITT is in our rear view mirror, but like a moth drawn to the flame I just had to check out the LAIR. Well as Mauti used to say “It’s silly season”. They are off and running with a 5/0 start and a guaranteed double digit winning season.
Well if they can’t do it this season with an embarrassingly weak schedule, Kenny seven yards playing his 19 season, and 14 other players one year away from SSI benefits it will never happen in our lifetime.
You need to go over there today WOW!!!

Without looking, I’m assuming they’re either hyping up their 23-year-old QB as a Heisman front runner or calling James Franklin the N-word.
Rehashing Sandusky and now JF is a great coach that would be a world beater at USC. They're downright giddy about his pending departure for Cali.

Reactions: PSUoh90
Your overlooking that they have become the Alabama of men's soccer in 3 short years

Worse than Bama - at lease Bama brings in US players. Pitt’s starting lineup is all foreign players. There are a few token kids from the WPIAL who see some mop up time. Scholarships at a state supported school are given to foreign kids. Pitt is one of them worst offenders. At least this years PSU team only has a few foreign kids and not the majority.

Your overlooking that they have become the Alabama of men's soccer in 3 short years

Thanks, that thread is gold.....pure gold. I see that SMF has continued his downward mental spiral. Such a shame.

It is a poor reflection of pitt boys as fans of pitt that their heads seem to never be able to flush out their PSU worries and focus....... Shouldn't they be worrying about the 50+ that Clemson will put up on the Duzzy D in an off year for Clemson?

Havent been on that board since 51-6, they booted me
Right click on the link and select "open link in private window". Depending on your browser the word "private" may be something like "incognito" or some other word that describes "in secret".

Reactions: bison13
Even a blind squirrel........

They are over there wishing Sandusky could come back and ruin PSU's season, when their team is struggling against a directional school.

Hard to describe what "mentality" is in action in the lair....

Reactions: step.eng69
What happened to @mikemauti42? Haven’t seen him on here in a while. Hope all is well with him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT