ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt fans say the darndest things

To paraphrase, the e-mail that started this bs was from Curley to Shultz and Spanier said " After talking to coach [Paterno], I have become uncomfortable with and decided against the 3rd part of our plan [calling police] without first informing the man involved [Sandusky]".
People leave out the 2nd part of that sentence to say Paterno talked Curley out of reporting when actually he was against reporting him without 1st talking to him and letting him know what was going on. Don't forget, McQueary hadn't reported anything criminal, only suspicious and concerning. A similar shower incident in 1998 had triggered an investigation, but nothing had came of it.
I know the story.
There was some conjecture over whether "coach" was even Paterno since they probably would have referred to him as Joe.
Regardless, no proof whatsoever that Joe talked anyone out of going to the police.

That sure was classy of the Penn State fan.
Also classy was the Penn State fan with the 8 to 10 year old boy with him urinating in the sinks because they didnt want to wait in line. Classy fanbase.
You can be better on the football field but if you don’t have character does it matter ?

Don't ever talk to us about class you bum.

Reactions: ELDADDY
If that's why you think we should continue to play them every year then you're grasping at straws. Mocking a team and their fans does not a rivalry make. Having competitive games against a team that is close to your equal is what makes a rivalry. Two programs going in different directions. Our direction is towards Conference and National Championships. Their direction is towards being Rutgers. And, before you bring it up, I'm not happy about the Temple series either.

You mistake evidence for reason. This lengthy thread is evidence. Mocking another team/fans is evidence. There is reason why we don't have a 67-page thread on ANY OTHER TEAM. There is a reason why we don't mock Minnesota, Illinois, Temple, or any other program (with the exception of OhioState and Michigan) to the extent we do Pitt.

OhioState vs. Michigan has OhioState winning the 13 of the last 14 games. Are those two programs in different directions? Are they still competitive? Over the last 15 games, OSU has won 13. Over the last 15 games, PSU has won 11. The average margin of victory for UM/OSU game is 13. The average margin of victory for the PSU/pitt game is 15.

Yes, PSU is currently improving and has its sites set on a National Championship. Yes., Pitt sucks right now. But none of that matters for a rivalry either. A rivalry exists when two schools/teams hate each other. And that is true of the PSU/Pitt game.

If you don't think there is a special hatred between pITT and PSU then you are lying to yourself.

Sounds like the Pitt people have largely admitted defeat. We're back to Joe and Sandusky and pissing in the men's room.

Life is good.
It’s getting back to as normal as the LAIR can be. One bad loss and most of the DUZZ ball washers are now screaming for his head. Another less than Heisman outing from Pickett and they’ll be throwing him overboard and demanding the new saviors either Towns or boy Ge

You mistake evidence for reason. This lengthy thread is evidence. Mocking another team/fans is evidence. There is reason why we don't have a 67-page thread on ANY OTHER TEAM. There is a reason why we don't mock Minnesota, Illinois, Temple, or any other program (with the exception of OhioState and Michigan) to the extent we do Pitt.

OhioState vs. Michigan has OhioState winning the 13 of the last 14 games. Are those two programs in different directions? Are they still competitive? Over the last 15 games, OSU has won 13. Over the last 15 games, PSU has won 11. The average margin of victory for UM/OSU game is 13. The average margin of victory for the PSU/pitt game is 15.

Yes, PSU is currently improving and has its sites set on a National Championship. Yes., Pitt sucks right now. But none of that matters for a rivalry either. A rivalry exists when two schools/teams hate each other. And that is true of the PSU/Pitt game.

If you don't think there is a special hatred between pITT and PSU then you are lying to yourself.
That "special hatred" is primarily among the older fans that grew up in western PA up until the 90s. Very few PSU people under 50 look at it as anything but a former rivalry, even those that grow up in western PA today. It was a rivalry 20 years ago, now it's just a relic of the past and is thankfully coming to a an end. I'd rather work on trying to build a real rivalry with OSU by beating them on a regular basis them playing the Rutgers of Western Pennsylvania.

And as far as OSU/Michigan, coaches aren't going to be fired at PSU for losing to Pitt. They will be at Michigan and OSU.

Reactions: gregoryj95 and Ski
That "special hatred" is primarily among the older fans that grew up in western PA up until the 90s. Very few PSU people under 50 look at it as anything but a former rivalry, even those that grow up in western PA today. It was a rivalry 20 years ago, now it's just a relic of the past and is thankfully coming to a an end. I'd rather work on trying to build a real rivalry with OSU by beating them on a regular basis them playing the Rutgers of Western Pennsylvania.

And as far as OSU/Michigan, coaches aren't going to be fired at PSU for losing to Pitt. They will be at Michigan and OSU.

It seems you like to move the goal posts.

So you agree there is a special hatred, yet the caveat is that it doesn't count because you believe it is only the older fans who feel that. Since when do the feelings of an older generation not matter? And I certainly saw alot of younger fans in that stadium who were excited for the game. The media (not just local) felt there was a rivalry as they made it a nationally televised game. Even Mark Cuban got in on the action. (Oh that's right...he is over 50. I guess he doesn't count.)

And how do you "try to build a rivalry"? You certainly seem to imply that is something that just takes some work and *poof*, a rivalry exists. And if that is the case, why can't we have two rivalries? If we cannot have 2 rivalries then we are out of luck with tO$U since they already have a rivalry with UM. But you seem to think it is possible to have 2 rivalries so why not continue with PItt and also have tO$U? Or if its just a matter of work, then how about we make a rivalry with Michigan as well? Heck...why stop there. With a little more work, we can have a rivalry with every Big10 team.

I'm going to bring this conversation back around. Yes..the rivalry with Pitt isn't what it once was. Yes...PSU is a national program whereas Pitt is regional. And YES...there is a special hatred that exists between the programs. You can claim that it isn't what it once was, and I would agree with you. But you cannot deny that the PSU and PItt has alot more emotion than any other OOC game we could schedule. I will watch PSU play Kent State, Temple, App State., Buffalo, Syracuse, West Virginia,....but once that game is over, I don't care. With Pitt, I will be rooting against them all season because of their smug coach, fans, and media whores. And I'll bet this thread is still around the rest of the season. If that doesn't make for a rivalry, I don't know what does.

Reactions: Hartzie
I am a paying member of Pantherlair and was banned from posting on the Pitt messageboard for being objective about the current status of Pitt football. I’ve been a pitt fan for over 20 years. I was simply objective compared to the song and dance that they are used to over there. I asked Peak why I was banned. He could not offer any reasoning just called me a troll. I asked him for an example to prove where I was and he had nothing to offer

After this past weekend, he banned me from even reading the board due to private messaging an “I told you so” to him. I asked him how that was fare to do to a paying customer. He would not reply until I contacted Rivals support and basically told me tough luck

It is ridiculous that Rivals let’s their sites run by childish fanboys. He caters to the lunatic fringe

I am a paying member of Pantherlair and was banned from posting on the Pitt messageboard for being objective about the current status of Pitt football. I’ve been a pitt fan for over 20 years. I was simply objective compared to the song and dance that they are used to over there. I asked Peak why I was banned. He could not offer any reasoning just called me a troll. I asked him for an example to prove where I was and he had nothing to offer

After this past weekend, he banned me from even reading the board due to private messaging an “I told you so” to him. I asked him how that was fare to do to a paying customer. He would not reply until I contacted Rivals support and basically told me tough luck

It is ridiculous that Rivals let’s their sites run by childish fanboys. He caters to the lunatic fringe
Yet he allows posts about injuring Trace or a wide receiver because they were still in the game towards the end.Pathetic

Patnards is one of mauti's many aliases on the lair. Only mauti would pay for premium on a pitt message board. He cracks me up.

So you agree there is a special hatred, yet the caveat is that it doesn't count because you believe it is only the older fans who feel that. Since when do the feelings of an older generation not matter? And I certainly saw alot of younger fans in that stadium who were excited for the game. The media (not just local) felt there was a rivalry as they made it a nationally televised game. Even Mark Cuban got in on the action. (Oh that's right...he is over 50. I guess he doesn't count.)

And how do you "try to build a rivalry"? You certainly seem to imply that is something that just takes some work and *poof*, a rivalry exists. And if that is the case, why can't we have two rivalries? If we cannot have 2 rivalries then we are out of luck with tO$U since they already have a rivalry with UM. But you seem to think it is possible to have 2 rivalries so why not continue with PItt and also have tO$U? Or if its just a matter of work, then how about we make a rivalry with Michigan as well? Heck...why stop there. With a little more work, we can have a rivalry with every Big10 team.

I'm going to bring this conversation back around. Yes..the rivalry with Pitt isn't what it once was. Yes...PSU is a national program whereas Pitt is regional. And YES...there is a special hatred that exists between the programs. You can claim that it isn't what it once was, and I would agree with you. But you cannot deny that the PSU and PItt has alot more emotion than any other OOC game we could schedule. I will watch PSU play Kent State, Temple, App State., Buffalo, Syracuse, West Virginia,....but once that game is over, I don't care. With Pitt, I will be rooting against them all season because of their smug coach, fans, and media whores. And I'll bet this thread is still around the rest of the season. If that doesn't make for a rivalry, I don't know what does.
Now you're just making stuff up and saying I posted things that I never did. Rivalry is over. Next year will be the final nail in the coffin and good riddance. Quit pretending we're still in 1982 and that more than 5% of PSU fans give a crap about it. They don't.

Reactions: john4psu
Much Lair propaganda being spewed to ease the pain of losing Porter. They simply removed the thread that announced his commitment to PSU. In another thread Lair Minister of Propaganda jokepa, declares Porter a 3 star and 9th in the state. He chooses to ignore the composite ratings and claims that Pitt is holding its own in Pa recruiting. With their logic, if the final fatality suffered in WW2 happened to be an allied soldier, Germany would have been the victor.

Reactions: john4psu

Hopefully you have ceased paying. I'm sure his income is based on the amount of money brought in, somehow.

Reactions: Ski and Norwelllion

He does and one time in Twitter he actually lied in saying that he didn't ban anyone, yet he banned me when I told the truth about their Pittiful attendance.

Reactions: diggerpup and Ski
He does and one time in Twitter he actually lied in saying that he didn't ban anyone, yet he banned me when I told the truth about their Pittiful attendance.
I was banned after 2 very tame posts. I asked them to decide ...was Barkley a great back (which they bragged about limiting) or the bum they called him before last years game?

Reactions: Ski and Hotshoe

Peak = TARD Radio News time is 11:07.

TARD Radio all the stuPitt news all the time.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II

You also have to play to have a rivalry and after next year, we won’t be playing them anymore.

Now you're just making stuff up and saying I posted things that I never did. Rivalry is over. Next year will be the final nail in the coffin and good riddance. Quit pretending we're still in 1982 and that more than 5% of PSU fans give a crap about it. They don't.

Here are TV Ratings from this weekend:

"It was another sports-heavy night in the Saturday primetime ratings this week.

ABC’s coverage of the Penn State vs Pittsburgh NCAA football game led the night with a 0.9 average rating in adults 18-49 across its 3-hour long run time, and 3.41 million viewers. Meanwhile, FOX’s own college football coverage followed closely behind, coming second in the night with a 0.7 and 2.11 million viewers."

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-saturday-sept-8-2018/

How do you spin this?

Here are TV Ratings from this weekend:

"It was another sports-heavy night in the Saturday primetime ratings this week.

ABC’s coverage of the Penn State vs Pittsburgh NCAA football game led the night with a 0.9 average rating in adults 18-49 across its 3-hour long run time, and 3.41 million viewers. Meanwhile, FOX’s own college football coverage followed closely behind, coming second in the night with a 0.7 and 2.11 million viewers."

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-saturday-sept-8-2018/

How do you spin this?
What % of people watching college football that night were watching the Pitt game. And we get bigger ratings when we're against a Big Ten team. Last year our afternoon game with OSU had almost 10 million.

Week 1 Michigan ND had 7.1 million viewers. That's a rivalry.
Miami/LSU had 6.5 million. That's not a rivalry.
Oregon St @ OSU at noon had 3.5 million viewers. That was just a laugher.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

And you left out that the Texas A&M/Clemson game beat the Pitt game in the ratings. And, in case you missed it, the 10:30 ESPN game, featuring Big 10 team Michigan St, also beat ratings for the FOX primetime USC/Stanford game. Nothing like cherry picking stats when you have no real argument in your favor.

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/saturday-cable-ratings-sept-8-2018/

Just because you care about it doesn't mean the rest of the world does.

But I am ecstatic that playing lowly Pitt meant we beat out America's got Talent and Pink Collar Crimes. Franklin is probably using that for motivation this week. Maybe we can put that on a key chain.

Last edited by a moderator:
What % of people watching college football that night were watching the Pitt game. And we get bigger ratings when we're against a Big Ten team. Last year our afternoon game with OSU had almost 10 million.

Week 1 Michigan ND had 7.1 million viewers. That's a rivalry.
Miami/LSU had 6.5 million. That's not a rivalry.
Oregon St @ OSU at noon had 3.5 million viewers. That was just a laugher.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

And you left out that the Texas A&M/Clemson game beat the Pitt game in the ratings. And, in case you missed it, the 10:30 ESPN game, featuring Big 10 team Michigan St, also beat ratings for the FOX primetime USC/Stanford game. Nothing like cherry picking stats when you have no real argument in your favor.

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/saturday-cable-ratings-sept-8-2018/

Just because you care about it doesn't mean the rest of the world does.

But I am ecstatic that playing lowly Pitt meant we beat out America's got Talent and Pink Collar Crimes. Franklin is probably using that for motivation this week. Maybe we can put that on a key chain.

Dude..you are all over the place.
1. Point 1: Sheer #'s does not make a rivalry. What is the point of the Michigan/ND #'s? Are you saying the sheer #'s of viewers indicates proves that's a rivalry? I think we'd agree that Texas/Oklahoma (Red River Shootout) is a rivalry. Their 2016 #'s had a 1.7 Rating and 2.8MM viewers.
2. Point 2: Ratings are relative: BYU/Utah (The Holy War) is considered a rivalry. Do you know what their ratings were? Rating of 1 and viewers of 1.7MM.
3. Point 3: Turnabout is fairplay. You said "Just because you care about it doesn't mean the rest of the world does." Just because you DONT care about it, doesn't mean that others don't. (Which is ironic because you are on a "Pitt" thread.) Oh and tell that that to the television executives who decided to make it a nationally televised game.

The fact of the matter is that determining whether a rivalry exists is like determining whether something is offensive. To quote Justice Potter Stewart, "I know it when I see it". I cannot prove it is a rivalry and you cannot disprove its a rivalry.

Dude..you are all over the place.
1. Point 1: Sheer #'s does not make a rivalry. What is the point of the Michigan/ND #'s? Are you saying the sheer #'s of viewers indicates proves that's a rivalry? I think we'd agree that Texas/Oklahoma (Red River Shootout) is a rivalry. Their 2016 #'s had a 1.7 Rating and 2.8MM viewers.
2. Point 2: Ratings are relative: BYU/Utah (The Holy War) is considered a rivalry. Do you know what their ratings were? Rating of 1 and viewers of 1.7MM.
3. Point 3: Turnabout is fairplay. You said "Just because you care about it doesn't mean the rest of the world does." Just because you DONT care about it, doesn't mean that others don't. (Which is ironic because you are on a "Pitt" thread.) Oh and tell that that to the television executives who decided to make it a nationally televised game.

The fact of the matter is that determining whether a rivalry exists is like determining whether something is offensive. To quote Justice Potter Stewart, "I know it when I see it". I cannot prove it is a rivalry and you cannot disprove its a rivalry.
Your post stated that ratings make a rivalry. I pointed out that the ratings were not the highest that day and are lower than big 10 games. How was that all over the place? You're the one all over the place now stating that ratings don't make a rivalry.

And, once again, your attributing things to me that I never posted. I won't respond to things that I never posted.

I paid for premium and then was banned by Peak for no reason. No rules broken. I think I'm pretty fair here as well not banning folks unless they're trolls. He literally asked me why I was there. I responded, he never did. He's a piece of crap coward. F Pitt. I'd love to meet the scrawny little bastard in person. He's the very worst of Rivals.

I paid for premium and then was banned by Peak for no reason. No rules broken. I think I'm pretty fair here as well not banning folks unless they're trolls. He literally asked me why I was there. I responded, he never did. He's a piece of crap coward. F Pitt. I'd love to meet the scrawny little bastard in person. He's the very worst of Rivals.
Just out of curiosity, has Peak ever posted here? And if so, is he banned?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT