POLL - Should Mark Hall's Redshirt Be Pulled

Should Mark Hall's Redshirt Be Pulled

• Yes

Votes: 99 42.3%
  • No

Votes: 135 57.7%

• Total voters
league-nantucket-red-long-sleeve-pocket-psu-flag-t-shirt-1e5.jpg

The official Penn State long sleeve "Mark Hall" edition.

Reactions: diggerpup
I just have to ask the question, and there's no sarcasm intended, but how does anyone know that we have enough points to win Nationals without so and so in the lineup? We're ranked 2nd or 3rd in the polls, yet there are a lot of people who say confidently that we don't need extra points! I'm having trouble understanding the logic being used.
Very simply with a lot of posters logic and reason elude them but in my case my confidence is derived from being
Prescient.
On a bit of a serious note watching the scuffle I just can't grasp OSU #1 rating or be concern that they will win.

Reactions: dropster45
[because I've always loved beating this drum]

They should change the blog name to "31 and Counting 3 Titles That We Made Up Even Though They Weren't Officially Scored and Iowa State Also Claims One."
They could count them like Pitt does. For every 1 add 8.

Reactions: jtothemfp
Of the posters stating "WE NEED TO PULL MARK HALL'S REDSHIRT !!!".....
....... Please provide a mathematical / score estimate.

I bet if you ran the numbers and had Morelli/Rasheed at 174, and assume some bonus, PSU would be ahead of everyone in the math model.

The team rankings favor Okie St, but a lot of their guys will suffer from variance placing 5th-8th/R12 and not a ton of bonus.

PSU will bring the horses who can be champs, finalists and can bonus along the way.

Posters who think Mark Hall needs to wrestle solely because Cortez or Gulibon may not AA do not have a firm grasp of the tournament math.

Last edited:
I guess I think more of the two current guys battling for the spot than most. I believe PSU is looking at round of 12 -low AA already at this weight. Hall is an upgrade for pretty much any team at any weight, but Cael doesn't seem likely to bust the process when he already has two very capable young men competing at a weight.
125- 2-5 place
133- 2-2 few points
141-2-2 few points
149- champ with ton of bonus
157- champ with ton of bonus
165- 4-8 place with some bonus
174- rd12-low AA
184- top 3 with some bonus
197- 5-8 place
285- 3-6 place some bonus

Who else can have more points than this? PSU performs to the level they are expected and they win. It is competitive, but no other team has the margin for error PSU does right now. This is how I see it. Iowa,OSU, and tOSU all have a chance, but they have bigger questions at weights and none have the bonus firepower PSU has. If Micah suddenly proves he can beat Sorensen and Nato whips Richards and Montoya then maybe pull Hall's shirt, but not before.

Interesting comment by Cael, in the Jim Carlson, Penn Live article.

"And despite the clamor within the Penn State wrestling fan base, Penn State coach Cael Sanderson maintained on Tuesday that the designed plan to keep a red shirt on Hall's back remains in place. But so is the plan for a bright future."

Unless of course, if you have a plan that you would like to discuss with Cael.;)

Last edited:
27 of those 34 were pre-1970. It's been over a decade since their last one(2006).
Of all of the power wrestling schools, theirs has the lowest ACT requirements, so they can take a wider range of candidates, but still are struggling to git er done. Maybe this year, we'll see.

Voted 'No'. Assuming we have no major injuries, this team will win NCAA's without him. I have faith we will peak in March as usual.

Less than the guy on the 34/Counting Scuffle thread who wants the NCAA to investigate PSU for having so many out-of-state wrestlers -- when Smith has 2 more than Cael does.
Sounds like politics, which I pretty much ignore too. without going to look it up I counted 6 starters for each in-state. But it isn't where they come from, it's how many points they score in March I am worried about. Still don't think, without a perfect tournament, we can catch you with your current lineup. Have to go re-read and see who that is. Like any board, we have our overzealous fans.

Sounds like politics, which I pretty much ignore too. without going to look it up I counted 6 starters for each in-state. But it isn't where they come from, it's how many points they score in March I am worried about. Still don't think, without a perfect tournament, we can catch you with your current lineup. Have to go re-read and see who that is. Like any board, we have our overzealous fans.
Correct, both teams have 6 in-state starters. Cowboys have 17 nonresidents on their roster, PSU has 15.

It wasn't politics, it was petty whining. Basically: "Mark Hall is really good. Waaah!" For all I know, that guy could be normal except that one post, or he could be a lunatic. That's on him, so to speak.

I agree -- it's noise. Individual scholarship amounts are none of my business. I have no reason to believe Smith or Cael or any other coach is less than compliant. Just thought it was funny to see pot meet kettle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT