ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Ohio State B1G Tourney BB Game Thread

Two comments about the end of the game...

I thought Pat Chambers remarks to the courtside BTN reporter were extremely classy. He credited tOSU saying they were a good team and they were well coached. Remarked that it was a 1 point game so it was a battle (to the bitter end).

I thought that the post game rant against the tOSU player were uncalled for. The kid is a "player" who had a brain cramp and lost the ball - to another "player" who should have been getting credit vs. blaming the player who lost that individual battle.

Happy for the Nits.
Speaking of Pat Chambers ...

Just my opinion, but the (limited) shots of him from the tv cameras throughout the game don't give me the impression he is a "players" coach. He is always glaring, snarling, and yelling at the players - I never see anything that looks encouraging. Admittedly, my perspective from the TV cameras is very limited.

I know he also has a reputation of getting on the officials pretty good. Last night, when they went to him at the half-time interview, the reporter asked him what was up as he was apparently upset with the officials at the end of the half. Chambers explains that the officials allowed the OSU last shot and that the shot came after the buzzer. Chambers was explaining that had the shot gone in, they would have counted it and that would have been a big momentum change in favor of OSU.

Here is the problem ... Chambers was dead wrong as the shot was clearly out of the player's hands with more than 1 second on the clock. So, Pat, if you are going to bitch at the officials, at least be right.

Just my opinion, but the (limited) shots of him from the tv cameras throughout the game don't give me the impression he is a "players" coach. He is always glaring, snarling, and yelling at the players - I never see anything that looks encouraging. Admittedly, my perspective from the TV cameras is very limited.

I know he also has a reputation of getting on the officials pretty good. Last night, when they went to him at the half-time interview, the reporter asked him what was up as he was apparently upset with the officials at the end of the half. Chambers explains that the officials allowed the OSU last shot and that the shot came after the buzzer. Chambers was explaining that had the shot gone in, they would have counted it and that would have been a big momentum change in favor of OSU.

Here is the problem ... Chambers was dead wrong as the shot was clearly out of the player's hands with more than 1 second on the clock. So, Pat, if you are going to bitch at the officials, at least be right.

He was talking about the shot clock violation on the inbounds, not the last shot. And he was correct

We should have had the ball with 8 seconds left...

image.jpg

I've ripped on Chambers and probably will today and moving forward, but he has kept this team together despite some of the struggles and obvious frustrations. The Carr pass to Reaves to win the game was as symbolic as it gets for a team coming together and Carr trusting his teammates. Last night was a great effort even if the outcome would've been a loss. I'm looking for another great effort today and we'll see where the chips fall. Hopefully it's a one possession game again late and we have a chance to win.

Reactions: LionJim
Let me get this straight. You took the trouble to re-watch the post-game babble to get the "he-said, he-said" straightened out?
I'd like to make sure that stuff I post is right. So yes, I took the 5 minutes to queue up my DVR and see if I was incorrect in saying it was Katz (seemed out of character for Bardo, but it was him).

The irony... fans used to blast ED and Dunn for NOT being passionate and getting on the refs, but for being quiet, stoic coaches. Now, we have a passionate coach who sticks up for the team and gets on the refs and we are blasting THAT?

We can't have it both ways.

Speaking of officials...my prediction for our game today is Steratore, Boroski, and Carstensen (assume Wymer and Simpson both work today too, but on the early game).

And no idea who Larry Scirotto has pictures of that he keeps getting big assignments while we're not using guys like Pat Driscoll and Mike Eades.

Lunardi has us as the 2nd team out this morning. Palm still thinks we need to win the tourney to dance. Howie Schwab said we "have a chance" if we get to the final. Pretty polarizing resume that we've got.

all I am going to say about that last play . . .

my 10 yr old nephew plays b ball in a youth league

the coach hammers "Man up, hand up!" all day long.

#3 got caught napping on D . . .

Lunardi has us as the 2nd team out this morning. Palm still thinks we need to win the tourney to dance. Howie Schwab said we "have a chance" if we get to the final. Pretty polarizing resume that we've got.

There's some consistency...they all agree that we're out right now and that we might have to win the B1G to have a chance...which I think most of us also think is true

I would be shocked if a win over PU today wouldn't put us in - absolutely shocked. Right now we wouldn't be in, but with a win over PU? No way would we not be in

I would be shocked if a win over PU today wouldn't put us in - absolutely shocked. Right now we wouldn't be in, but with a win over PU? No way would we not be in

9-9 in conference play plus a poor non-conference schedule without a quality win during it is still going to be held against us. We have to beat Purdue to even be in the discussion. How will the committee value 3 wins against Ohio State--is it just a matchup that favors us? There aren't many quality wins other than against Ohio State. Also, if they believe Watkins will be out for the NCAAs they will hold that against us.

I'd think it's no better than a 50/50 shot (I said 25%, which I still think is true).

9-9 in conference play plus a poor non-conference schedule without a quality win during it is still going to be held against us. We have to beat Purdue to even be in the discussion. How will the committee value 3 wins against Ohio State--is it just a matchup that favors us? There aren't many quality wins other than against Ohio State. Also, if they believe Watkins will be out for the NCAAs they will hold that against us.

At least we'd have the wins over OSU and Purdue this week which would lessen the impact that Watkins missing should make in their minds (since we'd have proven we can win without him). I'd be a lot more concerned with those first few points that you brought up.

I'm watching this Farleigh Dickinson last few minutes closely, hoping that maybe we can somehow luck into another win over the field (albeit one over a team that would be heading to Dayton).

Thanks, Chi. That's fun to read. Ironic they are saying ohowIhate lost once, but the refs lost the two close games for them. Officiating last night was all one-sided against them.
ActionStanleyJackson probably is the biggest doowah I have read in a while. Funny to see him A) blame the refs; B) let it be known we (PSU) suck; C) Hates Chambers D) Carr will be just another jersey in the NBA because he doesn't play defense, and finally E) wishes the team would all tear their ACL's.
Does anyone seriously question why I refer to the team in Columbass as the ohowIhate suckeyes?
:cool:

OL

Reactions: ChiTownLion
At least we'd have the wins over OSU and Purdue this week which would lessen the impact that Watkins missing should make in their minds (since we'd have proven we can win without him). I'd be a lot more concerned with those first few points that you brought up.

I'm watching this Farleigh Dickinson last few minutes closely, hoping that maybe we can somehow luck into another win over the field (albeit one over a team that would be heading to Dayton).

Watkins would be a secondary issue...I agree. We'll know in about 5 hours if there's any point in even discussing this further

If they beat Purdue, then they pretty much have to be in. What other team is going to have three wins over a top 15 team and a neutral site win over a top 10 team? Sure, the non-con isn't great but PSU passes the eye test and would have the quality wins that are currently lacking from the resume.

Maybe Jerry Palm is right, but I don't think PSU is getting left out with a win today.

If they beat Purdue, then they pretty much have to be in. What other team is going to have three wins over a top 15 team and a neutral site win over a top 10 team? Sure, the non-con isn't great but PSU passes the eye test and would have the quality wins that are currently lacking from the resume.

Maybe Jerry Palm is right, but I don't think PSU is getting left out with a win today.

Ohio State isn't a top 15 team any more though. And the "eye test" rarely shows up when you're looking at historical NCAA selections.

The non-conference is the anchor that is really holding us down. Best win is over Montana at home (RPI of 92). And second best win is I guess at George Mason (RPI of 190). Really gonna need to do some big time damage in conference to offset that, and putting up a .500 record against an average schedule in a mediocre Big Ten won't impress anyone.

With a win today, our biggest hope is that the committee pays way more attention to predictive based metrics than I'd expect, along with no chaos over championship week and other bubble teams doing less than expected.

Speaking of officials...my prediction for our game today is Steratore, Boroski, and Carstensen (assume Wymer and Simpson both work today too, but on the early game).

And no idea who Larry Scirotto has pictures of that he keeps getting big assignments while we're not using guys like Pat Driscoll and Mike Eades.

First game is Steratore, Simpson, and Scirotto. So I'll go with Boroski, Carstensen, and Wymer for our game.

A win against PU would give us our 4th quad 1 win, along with 12 B10 wins and an RPI in the top 60. The fact that we went 1-3 without Reaves will also be taken into consideration.

It may just be coach speak, and trying to leverage it for the selection committee, but PC said in an interview that he hopes to have Mike back for the NCAAs/NIT.

Ohio State isn't a top 15 team any more though. And the "eye test" rarely shows up when you're looking at historical NCAA selections.

So what? They'll still be top 20. Does that really change the perception in your mind?

The non-conference is the anchor that is really holding us down. Best win is over Montana at home (RPI of 92). And second best win is I guess at George Mason (RPI of 190). Really gonna need to do some big time damage in conference to offset that, and putting up a .500 record against an average schedule in a mediocre Big Ten won't impress anyone.

Yes, the non-conference has held us back, but a big non-conference win is quite simply overrated. It's great to have but it isn't prohibitive. The .500 record on its own was not going to be good enough for us to get in either. That's why beating Ohio State and Purdue this week is huge for us. If we manage to beat Purdue today, it would be a game changer for our NCAA Tournament hopes.

With a win today, our biggest hope is that the committee pays way more attention to predictive based metrics than I'd expect, along with no chaos over championship week and other bubble teams doing less than expected.

Our resume would be good enough for an at large bid on its own with a win today. I'm not sure why we have to hope for anything specific.

Well the Texas win today sucked. Big 12 is highly thought of, Texas probably fighting for the same bid or two as PSU. Baylor is losing right now. Oklahoma in there as well, dont think they deserve it over PSU but they have had all the press and a player that most want to see. USC/UCLA tonight should kick one of them out, same with Oregon/Washington.

A win against PU would give us our 4th quad 1 win, along with 12 B10 wins and an RPI in the top 60. The fact that we went 1-3 without Reaves will also be taken into consideration.

It may just be coach speak, and trying to leverage it for the selection committee, but PC said in an interview that he hopes to have Mike back for the NCAAs/NIT.

Ohio State likely won't be quad one. They're probably a 5 or 6 seed.
The committee isn't dumb enough to believe Watkins will be back
You keep sayin 12 Big Ten wins...the committee doesn't look at it that way. It's 9-9. The conference tournament is view separately. NINE BIG TEN WINS. NINE
Nebraska isn't likely to get in and I think they had 13

Well the Texas win today sucked. Big 12 is highly thought of, Texas probably fighting for the same bid or two as PSU. Baylor is losing right now. Oklahoma in there as well, dont think they deserve it over PSU but they have had all the press and a player that most want to see. USC/UCLA tonight should kick one of them out, same with Oregon/Washington.
Oregon/Washington is meaningless to me as they both are way back and need a big run at Staples next week. Oklahoma's resume goes way beyond Young as they also have a bunch of really good wins. Syracuse winning today also wasn't good.

Definitely better than Crispin. Debatable whether he's better than Lisicky or not.
Ohio State likely won't be quad one. They're probably a 5 or 6 seed.
The committee isn't dumb enough to believe Watkins will be back
You keep sayin 12 Big Ten wins...the committee doesn't look at it that way. It's 9-9. The conference tournament is view separately. NINE BIG TEN WINS. NINE
Nebraska isn't likely to get in and I think they had 13

You have a couple of erroneous statements in there.

One, where Ohio State gets seeded is irrelevant when it comes to Quad 1 wins. Those are all RPI based. A Quad 1 win is a win over a top 25 RPI team at home, at top 50 RPI team on a neutral court, and a top 75 team on the road. Ohio State is 21st in the RPI and done for the season so they aren't likely to go up or down more than a spot or two. That locks up all three wins as Quad 1 wins.

Secondly, your assumption that the committee separates conference play from tournament play is false. They do not. In fact, they care very little about a team's actual conference record. They are concerned about their overall body of work. They will look at home games, road games, neutral site games separately but don't care if they are conference game or non-conference games. The will also independently look at a team's non-conference schedule to see that they are challenging themselves outside of the conference, but they will not inspect conference games by themselves. As evidence in support of that I present CBSSports Nitty Gritty Report for Penn State.

Lar - What % chance you give us of dancing with a win today and loss tomorrow? (If you're willing to play along)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT