ADVERTISEMENT

PSU-Only Recruiting News

People are kind of sleeping on this kid. He is going to be a PSU Starter and National champion some day. Very few people have him in the projected future lineups. This kid jumped levels the last few years.

Reactions: Zukovski
People are kind of sleeping on this kid. He is going to be a PSU Starter and National champion some day. Very few people have him in the projected future lineups. This kid jumped levels the last few years.
He's like this year's Cael Nasdeo, committed to Penn State as more or less a room guy then jumped levels, won PIAAs, and made some noise at the national level, so it looks like he's an AA level college wrestler, but no path to starting exists in the loaded PSU room. Just like, is Nasdeo going to beat out Luke Lilledahl? Is Asher going to beat out Ryder, Duke, Sealey, Henckel, etc.? I just don't see it, but that's clearly a statement about the other guys, not Asher.

Who are you writing about?

He's like this year's Cael Nasdeo, committed to Penn State as more or less a room guy then jumped levels, won PIAAs, and made some noise at the national level, so it looks like he's an AA level college wrestler, but no path to starting exists in the loaded PSU room. Just like, is Nasdeo going to beat out Luke Lilledahl? Is Asher going to beat out Ryder, Duke, Sealey, Henckel, etc.? I just don't see it, but that's clearly a statement about the other guys, not Asher.
I could be wrong, but Asher strikes me as the kid who when he starts to take his improvement strides (this year) he just keeps improving in chunks at a time. By his second year in that room he is probably going to be a handful for everybody.

Sounds like Davino is growing and may end up in 141 range. Since people are projecting Blaze there, this may help us in the battle for Blaze.

i agree, CT
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Sounds like Davino is growing and may end up in 141 range. Since people are projecting Blaze there, this may help us in the battle for Blaze.
Time to focus the Board’s positive energy on Blaze. Can’t hurt that he’ll be teammates at Worlds with Lilledahl, Duke, Mirasola, Ryder, and (replenishes my inkwell) Barr

Last edited:
Time to focus the Board’s positive energy on Blaze. Can’t hurt that he’ll be teammates at Worlds with Lilledahl, Duke, Mirasola, Ryder, and (replenishes my inkwell) Mirasola
Cupped hands, laser-focus, full court press and positive energy.

Even if we only give 83%, it's inevitable that he comes and joins us. He wants to stay in the Midwest, of course.

Reactions: SlipperyPete12
Cupped hands, laser-focus, full court press and positive energy.

Even if we only give 83%, it's inevitable that he comes and joins us. He wants to stay in the Midwest, of course.
YOU FORGOT THE CAPS!!!

And all geography references courtesy of Mark Hall.

And he apparently decided to change his name to Hodge.

Our local paper has had a chronic issue with lack of proofreading/editing, but this one takes the cake!
There is nothing wrong with this...
Dan Hodge has risen from the dead, returned to and finished HS and like all great wrestlers of the current time, has committed to PSU. Also, there is something about Lilledahl happening as well.

Are their any kids on the PA Junior or 16U National Freestyle Teams that Penn State should or is recruiting? Just curious who to pay attention to?

If you think the PSU staff isn't paying attention to things like that then you're crazy!
Honestly, I am sure there is an 'awareness' but, NO, I didn't think they focus much time on that age group at all. PSU is notoriously late to the party on many top recruits of proper age.

Here is the decoder ring if you want to make your own list:

Top 10 maybe top 20 in class P4P
1st or 2nd Nationally at their weight
Multi time state champ
Fargo or WNO champ
World team medialist

Check those boxes at 16 yrs old and you have a decent idea.

Oh then there is that pesky rule regarding when schools can start talking to them, which makes the whole question somewhat mute.

Not to be too sarcastic, but kids at 16 or younger often haven't grown into their bodies yet, and their results dont often translate. See freshmen phenoms that had the PSU collective super excited such as Adam Busiello and maybe even someone like (time will tell) Dalton Perry.

I pretty much ignore Fresh & Soph results alone, unless they continue through Jr+ year plus winning those big tourneys as mentioned. See Blaze, Basset, Jax...

Are their any kids on the PA Junior or 16U National Freestyle Teams that Penn State should or is recruiting? Just curious who to pay attention to?
Those national teams are determined at Fargo, which is not until July 12. There is a list of qualifiers here, but it's insanely big and not searchable by state:

More generally:
- 2024 is set.
- 2025 is mostly set. Marcus Blaze (OH) is the only guy left who we are actively pushing for.
- 2026 will likely be a smaller class, because 2024 and 2025 are both huge and loaded. Bo Bassett is the obvious top target. We'll pursue Jax Forrest, but he seems headed to OKST. Otherwise, maybe a 141 if we don't get Blaze. Also, this looks like a strong HWT class with 4 guys in the top 20.
- 2027: the top PA wrestlers to watch are Joey Bachmann (Faith Christian 106), Melvin Miller (Bishop McCort 152), and Landon Sidun (Norwin 114). Others might emerge in the next 3 years.

... plus quality depth.

pa junior and 16U teams are set. 16U is 6/12-15 in Utah. Juniors are in Tulsa 6/18-22. Rosters are on PA USA wrestling Facebook team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT