ADVERTISEMENT

PSU @ OSU - Feb 19

The answers to many of these questions would require looking at the contracts themselves and that's not going to happen here.

The term "exclusive rights," to borrow from the "bundle of sticks" analogy, might not necessarily mean all the sticks, it might merely mean the right to broadcast live. It can have legal import in the context of a contract, but we hear it more in a marketing context; when I hear the term I don't typically presume much by it. But I wouldn't imagine that Company A would be using the term if Company B has rights to simultaneously broadcast on a separate distribution channel.

I too am curious what BATS-TOI (thought they) paid for. Also curious why they thought it was a good idea to call their company/product BATS-TOI; reads like an acronym for baseball statistic I couldn't possibly care about.
Tikk - speaking of "exclusive rights", check out the deal cut by the lawyer for an ABA franchise about to go under pre-NBA merger. Google Donald Schupak and the St Louis Spirits. The story is worth 10 minutes of your time

The moral of that story - Never give away the rights to something with an unknown future value.

We need Spyker to go to Gallagher Iba with a camera under his coat, record the dual surreptitiously, then upload it quickly.

Spyker, are you coming? I would love to meet you, I bet you are a great guy and a lot of fun in person.

Maybe you can teach these technologically challenged guys the benefits of Facebook "Live"

I just got an email from the ticket office. Time has been changed to 3:00 local, so 4 your time.

Tikk - speaking of "exclusive rights", check out the deal cut by the lawyer for an ABA franchise about to go under pre-NBA merger. Google Donald Schupak and the St Louis Spirits. The story is worth 10 minutes of your time

The moral of that story - Never give away the rights to something with an unknown future value.
Thanks for that, yes, those brothers are legend. Their story isn't really about exclusive rights because they just got a piece of NBA broadcast revenue that was worth nothing one minute a millions the next.

@jtothemfp the brothers' dispute with the NBA a few years ago gets into areas you're curious about, concerning a common contract interpretation issue where broadcast rights are concerned. That is, where parties agree to share in revenue from, say, "future broadcast rights," and subsequent to the agreement broadcast-related revenue streams open up that weren't contemplated at the time of the agreement. E.g., you won't find "live streaming" in any pre-199x contract re broadcast rights because live-streaming hadn't been invented yet. The answer often hinges on the wording of the old contract. Different judges have arrived at different answers. It's less of a problem these days because most contracts now contain language that accounts for revenue streams not contemplated at the time of the signing.

If you're the type of person who thinks the Silna brothers got away with murder there's a somewhat happy ending--they lost a big chunk to Madoff.

Thanks for that, yes, those brothers are legend. Their story isn't really about exclusive rights because they just got a piece of NBA broadcast revenue that was worth nothing one minute a millions the next.

@jtothemfp the brothers' dispute with the NBA a few years ago gets into areas you're curious about, concerning a common contract interpretation issue where broadcast rights are concerned. That is, where parties agree to share in revenue from, say, "future broadcast rights," and subsequent to the agreement broadcast-related revenue streams open up that weren't contemplated at the time of the agreement. E.g., you won't find "live streaming" in any pre-199x contract re broadcast rights because live-streaming hadn't been invented yet. The answer often hinges on the wording of the old contract. Different judges have arrived at different answers. It's less of a problem these days because most contracts now contain language that accounts for revenue streams not contemplated at the time of the signing.

If you're the type of person who thinks the Silna brothers got away with murder there's a somewhat happy ending--they lost a big chunk to Madoff.
Yeah, non-sequitor on my part but what an awesome story.

Actually, I'm pretty much a moralist as a lawyer, but they did nothing wrong it sounds. The NBA negotiators probably just got "closing fever" and blew it.

Reactions: tikk10
Well, if the meet starts at 4 eastern, and is being broadcast at 4 eastern on NBCsports, then, it is indeed being broadcast live.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT