ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Rutgers Match Thread

Reviewing all the threads tonight, like others, I was scratching my head at some of the calls and non calls but give the ref credit. He awarded a takedown to RBY that would never be a takedown on the thread of the Ohio referee - Yikes Ohio Takedown Rule posted by Chickenman.

Finally got to watch RBY vs Alvarez. Great match.. great scrambles. Almost hard to watch those legs get torqued in the opposite way god intended. Excited to watch these guys wrestle again the next few years!

Reactions: oldcougar65
Finally got to watch RBY vs Alvarez. Great match.. great scrambles. Almost hard to watch those legs get torqued in the opposite way god intended. Excited to watch these guys wrestle again the next few years!

For a match that was 1-1 until the very last second of 6 periods, this was an amazingly exciting bout. RBY and Alvarez have almost identical bodies and a lot of the same style. RBY has to pull the trigger and take advantage of his blinding speed. That's the difference in these guys, and RBY will dominate when he turns on his scoring potential.
I finally got to watch the dual. Nick Lee is a guy who apparently has figured out his scoring potential. JoJo is a darn good wrestler who will probably make it to the podium eventually. But NLee just ate him alive. I've always been impressed with Nick's motor and his agressiveness. But now he's turned into a pinner. It was the missing ingredient that's going to take him to the top.Those people who are comparing him with Zain aren't far off.

Reactions: Ja1339
While RBY's match was highly entertaining and Alvarez is a quality opponent, the one thing I was disappointed in him is that he didn't adjust to the counter than Alvarez had for his shot. RBY was in deep in great position several times, but each time, he stepped up real high between Alvarez's legs to finish the takedown, and each time Alvarez grabbed the leg from underneath him and pulled on it, starting those masochistic looking scrambles that all led to stalemates. It happened 3 or 4 times. He needs to adjust to that counter somehow and try something else once it's clear that's what Alvarez is going to do if he gets too high there and it works to counter his shot every time. See about 19:30 in the above video for a good example of what I am referring to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT