ADVERTISEMENT

Q. Martin?

SR108

Jan 13, 2004
Any chance he is moved to WR at least in the short term if the WR room does not improve?

That would be an interesting move, at least while he's an underclassmenperson

maxresdefault.jpg

That would be an interesting move, at least while he's an underclassmenperson

maxresdefault.jpg
Samuel is a high speed RB/Receiver. I don't see Martin as that. He has nice speed, but from what he's shown in H.S. and the B/W game he seems like a very instintive runner, and I believe he will be PSU's feature back (or paired with another dynamic runner as featured backs) in 2025 when Singleton and Allen are in the NFL. He has very good receiving skills and hands which will serve PSU as well as a RB. JMO

Samuel is a high speed RB/Receiver. I don't see Martin as that. He has nice speed, but from what he's shown in H.S. and the B/W game he seems like a very instintive runner, and I believe he will be PSU's feature back (or paired with another dynamic runner as featured backs) in 2025 when Singleton and Allen are in the NFL. He has very good receiving skills and hands which will serve PSU as well as a RB. JMO

Oh I agree. But at a true Frosh, and our weaknesses at WR, I can see the OP's point. If this kid is that talented, line him up in the slot with Singleton/Allen in the backfield. Let the kid get some PT and use his skill set. Hopefully, he can get open and create with YAC.

Oh I agree. But at a true Frosh, and our weaknesses at WR, I can see the OP's point. If this kid is that talented, line him up in the slot with Singleton/Allen in the backfield. Let the kid get some PT and use his skill set. Hopefully, he can get open and create with YAC.
I agree. The staff needs to creatively think about how to utilize him and get him on the field to help the offense and specifically the passing game. Most likely not as a pure WR but if he is one of our top 3 or 4 WRs on the roster then why not? I think it is a mistake to just think of him as our starting RB next season and he simply plays a back-up RB role this season.

I agree. The staff needs to creatively think about how to utilize him and get him on the field to help the offense and specifically the passing game. Most likely not as a pure WR but if he is one of our top 3 or 4 WRs on the roster then why not? I think it is a mistake to just think of him as our starting RB next season and he simply plays a back-up RB role this season.
Agreed. I can see him running a dig route inside or outside as well as bubble screens and those quick outs. If you look at the 49ers, they've got several options of fast players in that 200 to 225 range. Aiyuk, Samuels, mcCaffrey, Jennings.

I don't know how good his hands are but getting the best skill set players into the game seems like a smart move.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
Agreed. I can see him running a dig route inside or outside as well as bubble screens and those quick outs. If you look at the 49ers, they've got several options of fast players in that 200 to 225 range. Aiyuk, Samuels, mcCaffrey, Jennings.

I don't know how good his hands are but getting the best skill set players into the game seems like a smart move.
What's his 40 time?

He's a good blocker as well. So if they put him into the slot or out wide in a bunch, he gives you options. He could take a short pass and hit a seam or he could block for a WR that gets the pass or they could use it to draw defenders to the outside and run with Singleton or Allen.

He was used quite a bit as a receiver in high school, he has good hands.

Reactions: indynittany
Why limit it to a RB getting reps at WR? GEt some of the TEs reps at WR.

Forget the separation BS. The important thing is making catches. If a player is covered like a glove and makes the catch then who cares if he had separation? When a player is 6'5, long arms and can jump he does not need separation to be open. He can be open by positioning.

Forget the separation BS. The important thing is making catches. If a player is covered like a glove and makes the catch then who cares if he had separation? When a player is 6'5, long arms and can jump he does not need separation to be open. He can be open by positioning.
Big bodies should have fewer issues getting bumped off of routes or battling for contested catches. And the #1 reason for doing this is that our TE room seems to be loaded with young talent.

Reactions: Kasparaitis
I posted about wanting Allen at RB and Singleton in the slot last year given our WR struggles. Imagine my disappointment when Franklin failed to read the message board and take my advice.

I think Luke Reynolds could play WR like Joe Jurevicius. He is big and I think has decent speed plus a 5 star recruit. Our TE room is loaded. It would be like a power forward posting up a small guard when he goes against a CB.

I think Luke Reynolds could play WR like Joe Jurevicius. He is big and I think has decent speed plus a 5 star recruit. Our TE room is loaded. It would be like a power forward posting up a small guard when he goes against a CB.
Yep, with all the talk about needing WR's and the way Reynolds performed on the camp circuit it seemed he had great hands and ran nice routes so I was looking for something to leak out of Spring practice about him getting a shot to line up at WR this season. But maybe he's already on his way in the S&C program to looking like a TE.....

Why not lineup Singleton in the slot?

I posted about wanting Allen at RB and Singleton in the slot last year given our WR struggles. Imagine my disappointment when Franklin failed to read the message board and take my advice.
He probably should have listened that time lol

Reactions: bdroc
Why not lineup Singleton in the slot?
Certainly. For whatever reason, we didn't see both Allen and Singleton in the lineup last year. But if you put Singleton in the slot, you've got to have someone in the backfield as an RB. Who would that be? Singleton and Allen have proven themselves out of the backfield and the team is searching for a way to get the ball into the talented Freshman's hands. So putting him in the slot makes sense.

Reactions: bdroc
Martin is a more natural receiver than Singleton. He played the position in high school.
I've always thought that Singleton should be used like USC used Reggie Bush; they need to get the ball to him in space. Last season, they kept running plays for him like he was Jerome Bettis, which was absurd and a total misuse of his talents.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT