ADVERTISEMENT

Reintroducing top 5 dramatic series

glad you breathed life into this thread.

I recently enjoyed the following:

• Your Honor, Amazon Prime, with Bryan Cranston (season 1 and 2)
  • Shrinking with Jason Segal and Harrison Ford, Apple TV
  • Echo 3, on Amazon Prime
  • The Last of Us, Netflix
Your Honor is the best. Season 2 not as good as 1 but really good. Really one of the top streaming shows I've watched.

Reactions: JOESTROSSER
glad you breathed life into this thread.

I recently enjoyed the following:

• Your Honor, Amazon Prime, with Bryan Cranston (season 1 and 2)
  • Shrinking with Jason Segal and Harrison Ford, Apple TV
  • Echo 3, on Amazon Prime
  • The Last of Us, Netflix
Your Honor is the best. Season 2 not as good as 1 but really good. Really one of the top streaming shows I've watched.

Your Honor season 1 just cements Bryan Cranston as one of the current greats. Only need Prime to watch it?

Fleishman Is In Trouble on Hulu - go watch it now. Excellent treatise on the mundanity of being in your 40s. Also some bewbs in the first episode, so it draws you in. lol

The Last of Us is on HBO, btw. And just an incredible show. The last scene? That lie? Oh my god.

Reactions: tikk10 and Obliviax
Your Honor season 1 just cements Bryan Cranston as one of the current greats. Only need Prime to watch it?

Fleishman Is In Trouble on Hulu - go watch it now. Excellent treatise on the mundanity of being in your 40s. Also some bewbs in the first episode, so it draws you in. lol

The Last of Us is on HBO, btw. And just an incredible show. The last scene? That lie? Oh my god.
Amazon is showing Showtime shows. I am not sure if that is me or what. I just sign onto prime and there it is.

Agree on Cranston. He was hilarious as the dad on "Malcome in the Middle". two of my favorites: when he realized he was a speed walking wiz and when he performed the acapella group sing/dance when the other guys didn't show up. Then Breaking Bad and now Your Honor.

SPOILER ALERT, 1883 Show

The worst ending of any show I've ever seen.

Reactions: hlstone
Amazon is showing Showtime shows. I am not sure if that is me or what. I just sign onto prime and there it is.

Agree on Cranston. He was hilarious as the dad on "Malcome in the Middle". two of my favorites: when he realized he was a speed walking wiz and when he performed the acapella group sing/dance when the other guys didn't show up. Then Breaking Bad and now Your Honor.

SPOILER ALERT, 1883 Show

The worst ending of any show I've ever seen.
1923 was AMAZING. I couldn't handle the narrating of 1883. But I'll probably go back and rewatch it.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
1923 was AMAZING. I couldn't handle the narrating of 1883. But I'll probably go back and rewatch it.
her voice is a little annoying but she was really cute

thinking-elsa-dutton.gif

Has anyone else watched Derry Girls? Set in Northern Ireland during the Troubles (early 1990s), it follows a group of high schoolers (four girls and a guy) and is hysterical! My husband initially was “not interested “ but walked in enough times and started laughing that I had to start the series over from episode one

My wife and I really liked Derry Girls, and found out that the Irish do a special dance to Rock the Boat at wedding receptions!

Also love Shrinking, 1923 and 1883.

Enjoying watching The Offer on Paramount +, I never realized what went into making the Godfather and how many didn’t want it made.

Ted Lasso season 3 started a week ago.

The Last of Us is on my list.

Lots of great choices in this zombie thread.

I enjoyed Fleishman, even though all of the main characters could use a kick in the a$$ and a talking-to about being thankful for what they have.

Bad Sisters on AppleTV doesn't get nearly the love it deserves in conversations like this.

I second 86PSUPaul's "Shrinking" suggestion.

Last edited:
Reactions: vhsalum
Great choices. But all of the main characters in Fleishman could use a kick in the a$$ and a talking-to about gratitude.

Great directing - because I would normally loathe characters like that. But I found myself feeling bad for them.

I would be very direct about it, but they were all redeeming in some aspects.

Reactions: CholleyVandine
My wife and I really liked Derry Girls, and found out that the Irish do a special dance to Rock the Boat at wedding receptions!

Also love Shrinking, 1923 and 1883.

Enjoying watching The Offer on Paramount +, I never realized what went into making the Godfather and how many didn’t want it made.

Ted Lasso season 3 started a week ago.

The Last of Us is on my list.
Just finished the Last of Us. We were talking about other with friends on St Paddy’s and he was saying that the show is very close to the game. I have never seen or played the video game, but found it interesting

Great directing - because I would normally loathe characters like that. But I found myself feeling bad for them.

I would be very direct about it, but they were all redeeming in some aspects.
I don't disagree. I found something likeable about all of them. And also felt they needed a kick in the behind. I feel that way about my brother sometimes too

Dont drink the lemonade
I liked it but started to get too far fetched during the last episodes... to many dead people.. but I did enjoy overall.
I liked Shameless a lot but the last couple of seasons got too far away from the base story lines
Also the one with Carey and Saul working for the cia... can't recall name off hand

Reactions: Firemans2711
Lots of great choices in this zombie thread.

I enjoyed Fleishman, even though all of the main characters could use a kick in the a$$ and a talking-to about being thankful for what they have.

Bad Sisters on AppleTV doesn't get nearly the love it deserves in conversations like this.

I second 86PSUPaul's "Shrinking" suggestion.
Bad Sisters is very good also! The husband is such a sh!t!

I liked it but started to get too far fetched during the last episodes... to many dead people.. but I did enjoy overall.
I liked Shameless a lot but the last couple of seasons got too far away from the base story lines
Also the one with Carey and Saul working for the cia... can't recall name off hand
Homeland. Some seasons were better than other ones.

Has anyone else watched Derry Girls? Set in Northern Ireland during the Troubles (early 1990s), it follows a group of high schoolers (four girls and a guy) and is hysterical! My husband initially was “not interested “ but walked in enough times and started laughing that I had to start the series over from episode one
If you enjoyed Derry Girls, checkout The Inbetweeners.

Has anyone else watched The English Game? It is about the evolution of soccer in England in the late 1800s. It’s main plot is the class conflicts (and geographical cultural differences) and the wealthy’s struggles to keep soccer “amateur”. It really reminded me of college athletics today, with the talk of NIL “ruining” sport. It is only a six episode one season show. I really enjoyed it.

It amazes me that anyone could fathom putting 'Breaking Bad' in the same class as 'Game of Thrones' (blech) or 'The Wire.'

'The Wire' is good, although not as good as 'The Sopranos.'

'The Sopranos' has not aged well in some ways, IMO. The shooting scenes are particularly cartoonish and laughable. But the acting is as good as people say, and the show is incredibly engaging. Season 1 was the best, by the way. The episode where Tony goes to Maine with Meadow is justifiably respected.

'Breaking Bad' is stupendous. I finally saw it last year. I was blown away by every episode I watched.

It amazes me that anyone could fathom putting 'Breaking Bad' in the same class as 'Game of Thrones' (blech) or 'The Wire.'

'The Sopranos' has not aged well in some ways, IMO. The shooting scenes are particularly cartoonish and laughable. But the acting is as good as people say, and the show is incredibly engaging. Season 1 was the best, by the way. The episode where Tony goes to Maine with Meadow is justifiably respected.

'Breaking Bad' is stupendous. I finally saw it last year. I was blown away by every episode I watched.
For ambitions, scope, and production value (and at least 4 seasons), GoT is great, but they sure didn't stick the landing, and can't compete w/ the top tier.. Wire is sentimentally still my #1 though, personally, though Breaking Bad is a very close 2nd, and probably has a better argument at being a more complete masterpiece. I think "The Americans" doesn't get enough praise--definitely in my top 5, as is Twin Peaks (and I'll include the recent reboot, because I like weird stuff). Sopranos is probably my #5, though competing with Better Call Saul & Mad Men.

Reactions: Split shot

Im moving succession to #4 over The Wire. GOT keeps dropping because the last 3 seasons were absolutely trash. It stays in the top 10 because the first 4 seasons alone make it an all time great. And the cinematography and production value never dropped.

The wire has 2 ok seasons (the docks and newspapers) , while succession truly has no bad episodes.

Top 4:
Breaking Bad (stuck the landing)
The Sopranos
Mad men
Succession

Reactions: bourbon n blues
If you enjoyed Derry Girls, checkout The Inbetweeners.
If you enjoyed Derry Girls (great!) and The Inbetweeners (good but a bit gross overall), try out Fresh Meat! A very enjoyable and clever series; includes one of the actors from The Inbetweeners.

Other comedies we have enjoyed: Friday Night Dinner and Kim's Convenience.

Your honor is very good with Cranston in the lead. If you like spooky stuff try 30 Coins on HBO. As a bonus the female lead is smoking hot in a nude scene. Gonna check out the diplomat next.

I can’t fathom thinking anything ranks with the Sopranos as a series. It’s like Cael. There’s a 1 then there’s a debate.

the sopranos hbo GIF

For ambitions, scope, and production value (and at least 4 seasons), GoT is great, but they sure didn't stick the landing, and can't compete w/ the top tier.. Wire is sentimentally still my #1 though, personally, though Breaking Bad is a very close 2nd, and probably has a better argument at being a more complete masterpiece. I think "The Americans" doesn't get enough praise--definitely in my top 5, as is Twin Peaks (and I'll include the recent reboot, because I like weird stuff). Sopranos is probably my #5, though competing with Better Call Saul & Mad Men.
I loved The Americans. Definitely one of my favorites. I really enjoyed Justified as well

Beat thread you all have here imo!!! Top notch work.

My top 5 in no particular order.

Breaking bad- maybe the best character development in all of drama on tv…and they nailed the final episode.

Game of thrones- A great show which killed off its “main character” and then got stronger. Lost steam in season 7 and then a real downturn the final two episodes. They really didn’t do this show justice.

The wire- Iconic seasons and some awful season. The food definitely outweighs the bad though.

West wing - I think the network tv requirement kinda hampered this show. 22 episodes is a lot to consistently make good but for the most part they pulled it off. Aaron Sorkin can write a damn dramatic tv series.

The Sopranos - it was iconic then and it remains so today. Still holds up for the most part.

Honorable mention : the last of us just wrapped up 9 incredible episodes. It’s to early to tell but they are off to a great start.

Neat thread. Some recent favorites:

-Justified (Raylan as Kentucky’s Wyatt Earp)
-Bosch (Connelly book series even better)
-1883 (sucker for realistic western)
-Last Kingdom (Uhtred rocks)
-Goliath (oh Billy Bob)

Nominating final scene of Justified as “best in class.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT