ADVERTISEMENT

Reintroducing top 5 dramatic series

Yes!

Two underrated classics, The Americans and Justified.
This and
Homeland first season
Last of us
Ted Lasso and Derry Girls ( when you can’t handle anything more intense)
Naruto (if you have a 12 year old)
Andor (best of the Star wars stuff)
Walking dead first season
Game of thrones most seasons
Slow horses first season
Ozark
It’s hard to stop I guess I’m grateful for the opportunity

This and
Homeland first season
Last of us
Ted Lasso and Derry Girls ( when you can’t handle anything more intense)
Naruto (if you have a 12 year old)
Andor (best of the Star wars stuff)
Walking dead first season
Game of thrones most seasons
Slow horses first season
Ozark
It’s hard to stop I guess I’m grateful for the opportunity
Homeland would have been incredible if it was 1 season and ended with (spoiler alert) Brody detonating the vest.

Neat thread. Some recent favorites:

-Justified (Raylan as Kentucky’s Wyatt Earp)
-Bosch (Connelly book series even better)
-1883 (sucker for realistic western)
-Last Kingdom (Uhtred rocks)
-Goliath (oh Billy Bob)

Nominating final scene of Justified as “best in class.”
I am sure you know, but if anyone doesn’t, there is a new season of Justified coming out July 18th

This slaps. Mixing it in our practice playlist ASAP.
Back to Yellowstone, being rich makes any lifestyle seem fun. I'd love to have a bunch of people doing my dirty work, an army of armored SUVs, and my own chopper. Can't forget a list of hot chicks. For that, I'd happily be a CPA or Uber driver.

For those that might like real life gut wrenching dramas. Two similar docudrama miniseries are "Chernobyl", and "The Days". The later about the Fukushima Tsunami nuclear disaster. Both are on Netflix. Chernobyl was the better of the two and The Days was dubbed, but both pulled us in and at times were riveting.

Last edited:
The Diplomat is really good if you are into an interesting mix of intrigue, relationships and politics (Netflix) I am also watching a fun show named Platonic. It is a judd apatow/seth rogan stuff. They are a bit hard to take sometimes (a scene with them snorting coke in the handicapped stall in the restroom and glorifying it as good, wholesome fun that everyone should do). Other than that, its been pretty good.

The Diplomat is really good if you are into an interesting mix of intrigue, relationships and politics (Netflix) I am also watching a fun show named Platonic. It is a judd apatow/seth rogan stuff. They are a bit hard to take sometimes (a scene with them snorting coke in the handicapped stall in the restroom and glorifying it as good, wholesome fun that everyone should do). Other than that, its been pretty good.

Thanks for the recommendation

For those that might like real life gut wrenching dramas. Two similar docudrama miniseries are "Chernobyl", and "The Days". The later about the Fukushima Tsunami nuclear disaster. Both are on Netflix. Chernobyl was the better of the two and The Days was dubbed, but both pulled is in and at times were riveting.
Chernobyl is freaking all time riveting 🔥

If you enjoy some bats**t craziness, You and White Lotus are pretty entertaining.

How are the final two seasons of Jack Ryan? I’ve seen the first two. They were fair, not amazing.

Back to Yellowstone, being rich makes any lifestyle seem fun. I'd love to have a bunch of people doing my dirty work, an army of armored SUVs, and my own chopper. Can't forget a list of hot chicks. For that, I'd happily be a CPA or Uber driver.
One of the reasons I liked the Sopranos so much. Kind of showed you how generations are different in regards to showing wealth, how luxury in itself is usually a means to a broken end financially, etc.

Kind of showed how everything is really just all bull****, regardless of who you are.

Speaking of. Anybody have a top 4 TV episodes of all time? (not in order)

1. Game of Thrones - Rains of Castamere
2. Chappelle Show - Rick James
3. Breaking Bad - Ozymandias
4. The Sopranos - Pine Barrens

As for single episodes Ozymandias is #1 for me. I’ll go top 5:
1. Ozymandias - BB
2. Middle Ground - The Wire
3. Long Term Parking - The Sopranos
4. Bad Choice Road - Better Call Saul
5. The Winds of Winter - Game of Thrones

Last edited:
Reactions: vhsalum

Hard to beat that list.

As for single episodes Ozymandias is #1 for me. I’ll go top 5:
1. Ozymandias - BB
2. Middle Ground - The Wire
3. Long Term Parking - The Sopranos
4. Bad Choice Road - Better Call Saul
5. The Winds of Winter - Game of Thrones
5. Kennedy and Heidi
4. Cold Cuts
3. The Test Dream
2. Long Term Parking
1. All Due Respect

I have a Sopranos problem. I know it.

Ok- here’s a good question that maybe 5 people on this forum can answer. Who remembers the TV series Captain Midnight? My brother and I were pretty regular fans when it was on. (Saturday mornings)

If you’re a fan of Bosch or Justified, then you should watch Luther as well.

Absolutely fantastic show; a bit darker than Justified but just great writing. British crime thriller starring Idris Elba, the guy who played Stringer Bell in The Wire. Which is also one of the greatest shows, ever.

Last edited:
While laid up from knee surgery, I checked out Netflix Formula 1 - Drive to survive.

A great look behind the scenes into formula 1 racing. It will also bring you up to speed on all the teams, drivers, how the competition works, some back stabbing and drama, etc.. The technology of course is amazing. This one series has doubled the interest in F1 in 5 years.

If you have any interest at all, and just want to check out one episode, go to season 3 episode 9, "Man on Fire". By far the best episode of the whole series. Wow!!! If that hooks you in like it did me, start the series fresh at season 1 ep 1 and have at it. It's really good.

Reactions: vhsalum
Aside from that, what did you think? ;)
Man. I'm sorry. I just word vomited all my feelings on you guys. My wife will bring this show up just to see me lose my sh*t.

I had such high hopes for it. Watched every episode and wished I could have unwatched it at the end. Just such lazy writing.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I had such high hopes for it. Watched every episode and wished I could have unwatched it at the end. Just such lazy writing.
There may be a few exceptions, but the "golden era" of TV is in our rear-view. You know sooner or later the "studios" would get cost-conscious, and realize not everything can be a loss leader. It is sad though, for sure. The latest season of Black Mirror blows my mind in how far it's regressed.

Reactions: hlstone and vhsalum
Man. I'm sorry. I just word vomited all my feelings on you guys. My wife will bring this show up just to see me lose my sh*t.

No problem. I hate wishy-washy. Lazy writing? My wife subjects me to The Hallmark Channel. How many princes can get stranded at a B&B in Vermont and fall in love with a woman struggling to open her bakery? Or a high school crush that comes back for a reunion and runs into her at the bakery she's running in New Hampshire? What is it with Hallmark and bakers? WTF?

No problem. I hate wishy-washy. Lazy writing? My wife subjects me to The Hallmark Channel. How many princes can get stranded at a B&B in Vermont and fall in love with a woman struggling to open her bakery? Or a high school crush that comes back for a reunion and runs into her at the bakery she's running in New Hampshire? What is it with Hallmark and bakers? WTF?
Charlize Theron as some high powered exec who, somehow, just can never get a date. Goes back to her hometown and meets a guy who makes handcrafted canoes. They are like oil and water at first, but then somehow end up together. You never saw it coming!

be sure to stay FAR CLEAR OF "The Last Thing He Told Me" on Apple TV+. Just a glossy LifeTime Channel program. It was just SO STUPID. The decisions didn't make sense, the bad guy felt like a caricature of a bad guy.

Quite possibly the dumbest show I've seen in a decade. And that's because i steer clear of most.

Charlize Theron as some high powered exec who, somehow, just can never get a date. Goes back to her hometown and meets a guy who makes handcrafted canoes. They are like oil and water at first, but then somehow end up together. You never saw it coming!
I don't get it. It makes me physically angry that there are shows like that. I can handle a decent rom-com, but the lifetime/hallmark versions? I'd rather punch myself in the face.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT