ADVERTISEMENT

Senior Worlds

I'm not much of a freestyle guy, but would love to hear a stylistic comparison of Zain and his finals opponent or a handicap/odds for Zain to win it all. I guess his opponent has been out of international competition for a few years following a suspension for PEDs?

I'm not much of a freestyle guy, but would love to hear a stylistic comparison of Zain and his finals opponent or a handicap/odds for Zain to win it all. I guess his opponent has been out of international competition for a few years following a suspension for PEDs?
Here's Narikuni's page on the UWW site. Not a lot there to go on--he's 25 years old, and won Asians.

Reactions: billrag
Unfortunately Petriashvili goes down 2-4 in a sloppy match. He should have beaten the Mongolian.
Zillmer is out.
He was on his legs a few times and seemed to lose interest in working for a finish. It was weird. Also pretty surprised Akgul beat Zare--which softens the blow some of Zilmer's tourney being done.e

Reactions: vhsalum
Zare losing is huge. Otherwise Iran would have matched the US with putting 3 into the finals. Getting no points from Baby Yaz is a lot for them to overcome as well but I think most thought Zare was a definite favorite to win it all even with Geno and Taha. Bodes well for the USA
Now let’s get 3 golds from our ladies! I think Mensah Stock and Elor are definitely favored and Helen is in a toss-up match with world champion from Japan. Should be a great way to finish this awesome day of wrestling!

Taylor up 1-0 at break. Quick TD at start of 2nd to make it 3-0
Another 2 makes it 5-0
Goes behind for 2 more 7-0
Another TD with 1;26 left to go 9-0
Taylor moves to the final 11-0.
Kazakstan challenges the exposure and loses it.
Another big one coming tomorrow!

USA 3 for 3 BABY!
Cael's record in semifinals also applies to Worlds.

happy for zain. clearly the cut to 65 is a big issue for him. unfortunate for him that he's a tweener, but a good move to go up and have some success for a few years.

also helps not be in the meatgrinder at 65. a major reason we haven't medaled since 2006 there is because it's wicked every year.

Here are some of his matches from the 2022 Asian Championships:

Edit: For some reason I can't get the videos to transfer over. You can access the videos on his UWW page https://uww.org/athletes/narikuni-taishi by clicking the "all" button and scrolling to the 2022 Asian Championships

Found some on YouTube:

Last edited:
While they simultaneously run another thread saying that the Ivys not wrestling did not make a difference during their last National Championship* (with an asterisk) run.
Not to mention celebrating their three 1984 gold medals - when the USSR, Cuba etc weren’t there (with the USSR folding in current day Azerbaijan, Armenia, Uzbekistan, Georgia, Ukraine, etc, etc). Lou Banach’s opponent was from Syria of all places. A Brit won bronze in Ed Banach’s weight class.

Here are some of his matches from the 2022 Asian Championships:

Edit: For some reason I can't get the videos to transfer over. You can access the videos on his UWW page https://uww.org/athletes/narikuni-taishi by clicking the "all" button and scrolling to the 2022 Asian Championships

Found some on YouTube:

I only watched one of his matches (a loss to a Ukraine wrestler), but based on that if it wasn't a flyer, I look for Zain to probably eat his lunch. I guess we'll see.

I was on a long drive but actually watched Zain on the dashboard. What a tournament. To be sitting in the gold medal match after so many disappointing close calls. And to not have given up a point.

1eb2b6d2-9478-4e7e-b74a-2475b8bf9f2e_text.gif

Was just thinking: where are the clowns who said Zain would never medal, Zain needed to leave NLWC, etc.?

Those posts might be worth digging up, for historical comedic purposes.

🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

Helen could not get to her offense, and couldn't connect on a few late foot sweep attempts.
She loses 0-3 and takes silver.

More proof:
Cody Sanderson > Mark Perry
😂
you know she was much better after she left the NLWC for ASU before the olympics right? turned her career back around. not a huge slight to NLWC. her training partners are light years ahead at ASU.

• Sad
Reactions: dunkej01
Was just thinking: where are the clowns who said Zain would never medal, Zain needed to leave NLWC, etc.?

Those posts might be worth digging up, for historical comedic purposes.
I called the medal on the Hawk board last night. He's just too intense, works so hard at getting better. You had to know it was coming.
He's a full blown animal now!
Good for Zain, get that gold!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT