ADVERTISEMENT

Senior Worlds

I'm kind of surprised we don't use the Folkstyle turns more often. Zain and Taylor have great success with it. International wrestlers seem totally confused and unsure when the techniques are implemented.
I'm no International wrestler though, I'm not even a state champion wrestler. Lol
Take my analysis with a grain of salt.
Taylor has abused former world champions with folkstyle moves though.
By abused, I mean abused. Just like Zain did today.
Last question for you guys tonight then I'll leave you all alone. Do any other countries even wrestle folkstyle?

What are you guys thinking on this Yaz Taylor rematch? Looked like last match Yaz worked on his conditioning some.
Taylor looks supremely confident though.

I think Zain is on such a mission he's not going to be stopped. He has Austin Desantos motor and gas tank with superior technical skills.
Scary!!
Don't think in any way I'm comparing them other than the constant attack rate and gas tank.
No expectations. Just plan to watch the two best in the world at the weight compete. Especially interested in the adjustments they’ve made based on their history.

I'm kind of surprised we don't use the Folkstyle turns more often. Zain and Taylor have great success with it. International wrestlers seem totally confused and unsure when the techniques are implemented.
I'm no International wrestler though, I'm not even a state champion wrestler. Lol
Lots of folkstyle turns take time to set up via pressure and the bottom man's attempts to better his situation. Freestyle there is no need for the bottom man to gtt out or reverse and there is no time to put uncomfortable pressure on him as well

My man. I like your style. That's how it should be except poking fun about no HWC on the roster I reserve the right to snide lol. Just kidding
No offense taken, what Cael has accomplished is amazing. From his undefeated college career, to his World Golds, Penn State U wrestling, and the NLWC.
This is my favorite time of year, football, world championships in wrestling , NCAA wrestling coming up, I even like bb.
I'm ecstatic until the end of March.
Then depression sets in. Lol
I'm not over here being a boot licker.
I just love great wrestling. I'm stoked for the next few days.
I'm excited for Spencer Lee to get healthy and hopefully get on the International stage. Nick Lee, Starocci, Brooks, Yanni, the list goes on. So many great USA wrestlers coming up.

Last edited:
No expectations. Just plan to watch the two best in the world at the weight compete. Especially interested in the adjustments they’ve made based on their history.
Love to see David not get down early, he's been able to overcome it the first three matches. Last time it looked like they prepped Yaz and he improved his gas tank. Going to be a nail biter.

Lots of folkstyle turns take time to set up via pressure and the bottom man's attempts to better his situation. Freestyle there is no need for the bottom man to gtt out or reverse and there is no time to put uncomfortable pressure on him as well
Zain immediately attacked though, I'm not a freestyle rules expert but it looks like to me if you are actively trying to improve they let you go a little longer. Seen Taylor run arm bars and such. In my untrained eye many international wrestlers don't even try to turn many times.
Seems the ref blows the whistle on lack of inactivity more than anything. Once again though I don't know the rules.
Just an observation.

Reactions: diggerpup
Taylor admitted he wasn’t focused last year after winning the Olympics. Whereas Yazdani was likely fueled by the prospect of avenging his Olympic loss. DT looks like he’s back to Yaz-beating form.

I’m not predicting a victory for either guy but a) last year’s match was closer than the scored makes it seem and b) I expect a nail biter going either way, again.

What do you think went through that guy's mind as Zane applied more and more pressure with the bow and arrow. "WTF!!!" Bet he never saw that before.

• Haha
Reactions: Sett1997
During 2021 Worlds, I remember Taylor stuck a handful of fools running or stepping over an arm bar.

Reactions: Sett1997
What do you think went through that guy's mind as Zane applied more and more pressure with the bow and arrow. "WTF!!!" Bet he never saw that before.
I lied, I'm posting one more time. Lol
It was actually a murder on the wrestling mat. Zain is such an animal , great family, farm raised, 100% class act, such a killer though on the mat. If he injured a guy he would probably sit in the hospital with him. Total class.
I think this is his coming out party. He wins this he's going to be an assassin for many years. He's got his confidence now, he's a force. I don't know his routine but just by watching his development he's an anomaly on focus, work ethic, and wanting to be the best. Guess that's why he's in the finals. I look for him to tech or stick his guy in the finals.
It's his time, he's earned it.
He has his swagger again now. That's scary, he relentlessly stalks and his gas tank is 100% the whole match.
The guy appears now to be treating the international wrestlers the same as he did his opponents in college.
Bottom line, fear the Zain.
He's now an international animal.

Last edited:
Taylor admitted he wasn’t focused last year after winning the Olympics. Whereas Yazdani was likely fueled by the prospect of avenging his Olympic loss. DT looks like he’s back to Yaz-beating form.

I’m not predicting a victory for either guy but a) last year’s match was closer than the scored makes it seem and b) I expect a nail biter going either way, again.
I am predicting a DT victory! He is focused and ready, 2+ point margin.

Gomez loses 4-4 on a buzzer beater. Micic wins. Gilman up next.

Gilman up 7-0 at the break. A sweet 4, and 3 step outs vs a Russian-sounding Australian. Gets TD2 and a gut, wins 11-0

Cox up
Gets a huge 5 enroute to a 1:09 10-0 TF

Dake up vs Mongolia’s Olonbayar
  • Whole lotta hand fighting. Dake holds center and gets the passivity pt and a step out at the same time. 2-0
  • Gets a chest wrap for 4 near the end of the period. Mongolia loses challenge, keeps pants on. KD up 7-0 after 1
  • Another step out 8-0
  • Another chest wrap, wound up being scored 2-2 so it’s 10-2 but
  • gut wrench, 12-2 TF
Darian Cruz advances to the quarters 3-0

Several big upsets at 57kg so far. India’s Kumar, the 2 seed, just got tech’d

Quarters starting in 5 matches or so. I may not be able to do updates, depending on timing.

Last edited:
Welcome Sett don't boot lick.
99% of the Iowa fans that come here are great.
Most of our jokes are tongue in cheek making fun of the "fringe fans" Iowa and even ours.
Our jokes are so old many of us have difficulty in remembering when or how they started.
Some of our jokes have better curb appeal than Rutgers wrestling, Ha all of our jokes have better curb appeal.
It's going to be another Fun year.

• Haha
Reactions: Ski and PSUbluTX
Dake gets Iran in the semis and in the other it’s Chamizo vs Salkazanov. Should be some great matches

Last question for you guys tonight then I'll leave you all alone. Do any other countries even wrestle folkstyle?
Folkstyle just means the wrestling style local to your region. So no, no one else really wrestles American folkstyle, but other countries have their own folkstyle. A good example would be Mongolia's Bohk.

I watch that whole short clip from flow but didn’t see any bow and arrow. Do you have a link where they show it?
It started as a turk, then became a bow and arrow when Zain grabbed the ankle for additional leverage.

Opponents' legs were crossed, so Zain actually grabbed the opposite leg instead -- much like when Beard pinned Hoffman, except the leg was crossed over the body instead of Hoffman's being underneath (which was even more torque on Hoffman's spine).

I'm a hawk fan, I like wrestling at all levels. Obviously when we meet I want the Hawks to win. Once it goes international I love all these guys, I don't care what school they went too.
My favorite wrestler just happens to be The Magic Man!
I'm rooting for everyone on Team USA! No snide comments please about us not having anyone on the roster.
Doesn't matter to me, of course I'd like to see it but it is what it is.
Penn State, Nebraska, Cornell, I don't care where they went to school.
Not only are they all fine young people they are amazing athletes.

JS and Jmadden - you guys taking notes? 😆 just kidding

Gilman, then Dake, then Cox starting shortly (11 am)

GWShtAc.png

Gilman up now vs Zou (CHN), who has an also-ran resume.
  • Gilman pushes out but overruled, grounded
  • Gilman shoots, nice whizzer to defend by Zou
  • Passivity clock Zou
  • Snap down, go behind, Gilman up 3-0
  • Gilman drives Zou oob, 4-0, Zou just hanging in there.
  • Zou gets a point on a step out, 4-1 at break
  • Gilman with two more after shrugging from a body lock position, up 6-1
  • Two more after Gilman drops behind off a snap-down that put Zou off balance, 8-1
  • Zou with a single but can only get a step out point, 8-2
  • That's all, Gilman to the finals, where he'll face Abakarov (ALB), who beat Micic 6-1

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT