ADVERTISEMENT

Senior Worlds

I'm a hawk fan, I like wrestling at all levels. Obviously when we meet I want the Hawks to win. Once it goes international I love all these guys, I don't care what school they went too.
My favorite wrestler just happens to be The Magic Man!
I'm rooting for everyone on Team USA! No snide comments please about us not having anyone on the roster.
Doesn't matter to me, of course I'd like to see it but it is what it is.
Penn State, Nebraska, Cornell, I don't care where they went to school.
Not only are they all fine young people they are amazing athletes.
I like it! It's America vs. the World at this level and I feel the same way. College is college. This is about our collective country.

Dake v Yones Emami Choghaei (IRI)
  • Iran fans are loud. It's like a different arena when their guys are up.
  • Dake gets warned, not much going on so far.
  • Real nice duck into a single by Emami, but Dake jumps out of it.
  • Dake on the clock
  • Stalemate stops an incredible scramble. Can't wait to watch that again.
  • Another scramble, Emami gets a step out point, up 2-0.
  • Break. Great match. Dake will have to open things up.
  • Dake shoots, slides up to body lock but can't grab it.
  • Dake has a single, drives oob, turns Emami for four and there's a challenge. Foot was on the line as the move started. (btw, how many times has Dake scored huge, meaningful points going out of bounds?)
  • Reversed, Dake only gets a step out point, but another point on a fleeing caution to Emami. Dake up 2-2
  • Minute remaining
  • :25 remaining.
  • Dake grabbed a leg, dropped it.
  • Emami in, Dake goes chest wrap, time expires.
  • YOLO challenge, not sure for what, but it's withdrawn and Dake is back in the finals, 2-2 on criteria. Great match.

Last edited:
Dake v Yones Emami Choghaei (IRI)
  • Iran fans are loud. It's like a different arena when their guys are up.
  • Dake gets warned, not much going on so far.
  • Real nice duck into a single by Emami, but Dake jumps out of it.
  • Dake on the clock
  • Stalemate stops an incredible scramble. Can't wait to watch that again.
  • Another scramble, Emami gets a step out point, up 2-0.
  • Break. Great match. Dake will have to open things up.
  • Dake shoots, slides up to body lock but can't grab it.
  • Dake has a single, drives oob, turns Emami for four and there's a challenge. Foot was on the line as the move started. (btw, how many times has Dake scored huge, meaningful points going out of bounds?)
  • Reversed, Dake only gets a step out point, but another point on a caution to Emami. Dake up 2-2
  • Minute remaining
  • :25 remaining.
  • Dake grabbed a leg, dropped it.
  • Emami in, Dake goes chest wrap, time expires.
  • YOLO challenge, not sure for what, but it's withdrawn and Dake is back in the finals, 2-2 on criteria. Great match.
Great PBP!

Cox up v Osman Nurmagomedov (AZE)
  • Not much activity after one minute
  • Cox with some foot shuffling
  • Nurmagomedov on clock
  • Break. Practically nothing has happened, but somehow both guys are sweating.
  • Single, easy TD for Cox, now looking for a gut. Won't get it, back on their feet. 3-0.
  • Nurmagomedov gets an ankle but Cox slips it.
  • Cox with a double to make it 5-0.
  • Cox content to stuff all offense as time winds down.
  • With under :05 Nurmagomedov was in tight but Cox chin whipped him over for two more. 7-0 final. US with its 6th finalist.

Last edited:
Dake should have been awarded a step out and then there wouldn't have been a passivity point for Emami.

Should have been 3-1.

When are the finals for the folks that wrassled yesterday (zain , DT and JB) ?

He's been training in State College for several years. Won Olympic Bronze for his home country in Tokyo.
From the NLWC page:

Bekzod Abdurakhmonov (79kg/174 lbs)

A native of Uzbekistan, Bekzod joined the NLWC Resident Athlete Program in the fall of 2018. He was a 2014 World Bronze Medalist, a 2016 Asian Gold Medalist, a bronze medal match finalist at the 2016 Olympic Games, a bronze medalist at the 2018 World Championships, and won a bronze medal at the Tokyo Olympics. Bekzod will also compete at the World Championships in September. Bekzod is an outstanding wrestler and person, and his technique and style of wrestling as a training partner has also helped the Club’s other middleweight wrestlers compete on the world stage.

When are today’s finals? Around lunchtime our time?

@5q - beat me to the 🤛
2nd bronze @ 70kg up now.
Zain Train up next for gold.
Then off to 79 kg
79 - bronze
79 - bronze
Then JB for gold.
86 - bronze
86 - bronze
Then DT vs Yazdani, Chapter 5, for gold.

(then three matches at 125 - no USA wrestler)

Reactions: WildTurk
Zain v Taishi Narikuni (JPN) for gold
  • Zain pretty active out of the gate, two shots
  • Narikuni warned for passivity
  • Zain predictably warned for hands to the face
  • Zain in deep on a leg but Zain can't convert. Nearly gives up exposure.
  • Narikuni with a tight lace x 4. 10-0. Sigh.

Last edited:

He's been training in State College for several years. Won Olympic Bronze for his home country in Tokyo.
From what we are seeing at Worlds, the NLWC has one of the best, if not the best, group of athletes in the world. It’s amazing. If you are a college recruit it would seem obvious where to go if you want the best training partners and a chance to develop. Unless you couldn’t make the team, I suppose.

Reactions: Hotshoe
I want whatever water bottle that dude grabbed from Derek Fix’s fridge. Dude’s traps have traps.

I swore Zain converted on his low shot for 2.
Great shot and looked like a clean finish was in progress.
Then a scrambled ensued - Zain elevated & tried to convert again.
Then a few seconds later, Japan had the ankle lace & was rolling across the mat.
Insane exchange.
Gutting.

Reactions: goldenanimal
Gutting loss because if they wrestled ten times Zain probably wins most of the time. I could be wrong but I don't think I've ever seen Zain successfully laced, period.

Gutting loss because if they wrestled ten times Zain probably wins most of the time. I could be wrong but I don't think I've ever seen Zain successfully laced, period.
I was just wondering if that was the first time I'd even seen him lose a scramble. Probably not w/ all those Yianni matches, but definitely not common.

I am so jazzed for Zain. He was such a wrecking ball in folk, it just wasn't clicking yet in free. Heck a year ago when Nick beat him some were questioning if free simply wasnt his thing. Not so dissimilar to what some started to say about David. Patience is a virtue.

I have been saying for years that for most superstars, it takes 3 years to be 'medal' competitive with the best in the world for freestyle. There are exceptions of course, but more the norm for our kids in particular. It also seems weight class selection a huge factor as well. A big cut simply doesn't seem to cut it in free, you need too much power combined with quickness and skill.

Nick and Nolf may be the next in line over the next few years, to be followed by Carter and Aaron. I can wait the three years for all of them. It seems the NLWC pipeline is chock full of talent.

Reactions: creamery freak
I was just wondering if that was the first time I'd even seen him lose a scramble. Probably not, but definitely not common.
He's lost more than a few scrambles to JO over the course of however many meetings. And he's lost scrambles to international guys in usually low scoring matches, in similar circumstances where he's the one in on a shot and winds up getting exposed.

He's lost more than a few scrambles to JO over the course of however many meetings. And he's lost scrambles to international guys in usually low scoring matches, in similar circumstances where he's the one in on a shot and winds up getting exposed.
Yeah, when I had the thought I was thinking of him either finishing a takedown or getting taken down, I guess. He's definitely been vulnerable to exposure in free, my bad.

Reactions: tikk10
Bekzod loses a close match, takes 5th. I think the review got it right on that last meaninful exchange.

#1 on my list for free rule changes is to limit any one move to 6 pts max. excluding a pin of course. Not that it would have changed the outcome, it's just that a will be 10 point move will never sit well with me, even when it works in our favor.

JB v Mohammad Nokhodi Larimi (IRI)
  • A very loud arena, I hope JB can handle the pressure and limelight.
  • JB driven out but drops down at the edge to avoid giving up the point.
  • Soft double attempt by JB, but he's on the clock now.
  • Lots of pushing and head taps, not much else.
  • Another soft double. 1-0 Nokhodi
  • A cleaner double by JB but still gets stuffed.
  • Break
  • JB gets a stepout point, 1-1
  • Clean double by JB for two. 3-1.
  • JB nearly driven out but dances out of it. 1:44 left.
  • JB has a double stuffed.
  • Nokhodi on clock, those double attempts for JB paid off.
  • JB backing up now, killing clock.
  • Nokhodi gets a step out point with under a second, it'll end 4-2.
  • 7 World golds for Jordan Burroughs, separating himself from John Smith and Adeline Grey.
  • An emotional Burroughs clearly savoring this one.

Last edited:
ouch... that lace seemed painful...everywhere from where his head was to the wrap

Thats freestyle, stupid alligator rolls and done
You know, over the years I have definitely warmed up to most of the freestyle-specific rules in wrestling; however, the “stupid alligator rolls and done” part has to be about the goofiest goddamn thing in the sport. I will never not think it is ridiculous, regardless of whether my guy is the roller or rollee.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT