ADVERTISEMENT

Southen Scuffle Final Round Official Thread

My armchair speculation:

A fully healthy OSU is probably PSU's best competition this year. They have 4 (Picc, Fix, Joe Smith, White) guys I can imagine being in the finals Saturday night in March. Add the depth of AA contenders (Brock, Gfeller, Rogers, Smith, Weigel if healthy), and they can easily score 100+. Their only hole is 157. Crazy to think a team with 9 expected AA's is not the favorite.

tOSU is the next threat. Like OSU, they have 4 guys who could make the finals (McKenna, Jordan, Martin, and Moore). However, outside of Pletcher and Hayes, I'm not expecting much points from anywhere else. 165 and 174 are very deep; Romero and Campbell are likely to not place in them. Singletary would need the tournament of his life to place at Hwt. Don't think they will qualify at 125. This team could conceivably put up 100 points, but not much more.

Iowa's the last threat, but from what I've seen this season, I think they'll be 4th. I see them with 3 finalists at best (Lee, Marinelli, Stoll). DeSanto, Lugo, Young, and Warner are AA contenders, but that's not enough to close the gap. Without Kemerer, they simply lack the firepower to really be in the conversation. I think their ceiling is also about 100 points.

PSU's Big 4 (Nolf, Joseph, Hall, and Nickal) put up 87.5 points by themselves last year. Add in the potential placement and bonus points from AA contenders Lee, Rasheed, and Cassar, and PSU is already blowing everyone out of the water. Any points from 125, RBY, and Berge/Verk is just icing on the cake.

Anyways, I enjoyed the updates--particularly the ones involving Stanford vs. PSU. Coach Borrelli had his best results ever (albeit a watered down field compared to a few years ago). Woods and Griffith seemed to give Lee and Cenzo all they wanted. Mandarino took Nolf down, and there's a thread somewhere that he is currently in 1st place with the longest time spent on the mat against Nolf with a lead this year. Maybe when Nolf and Nickal graduate...Stanford can win the Scuffle.

Really impressed with the young Stanford wrestlers. They are going to be really good and Mandarino didn't wrestle Nolf like a frightened turtle which was nice to see.

My armchair speculation:

A fully healthy OSU is probably PSU's best competition this year. They have 4 (Picc, Fix, Joe Smith, White) guys I can imagine being in the finals Saturday night in March. Add the depth of AA contenders (Brock, Gfeller, Rogers, Smith, Weigel if healthy), and they can easily score 100+. Their only hole is 157. Crazy to think a team with 9 expected AA's is not the favorite.

tOSU is the next threat. Like OSU, they have 4 guys who could make the finals (McKenna, Jordan, Martin, and Moore). However, outside of Pletcher and Hayes, I'm not expecting much points from anywhere else. 165 and 174 are very deep; Romero and Campbell are likely to not place in them. Singletary would need the tournament of his life to place at Hwt. Don't think they will qualify at 125. This team could conceivably put up 100 points, but not much more.

Iowa's the last threat, but from what I've seen this season, I think they'll be 4th. I see them with 3 finalists at best (Lee, Marinelli, Stoll). DeSanto, Lugo, Young, and Warner are AA contenders, but that's not enough to close the gap. Without Kemerer, they simply lack the firepower to really be in the conversation. I think their ceiling is also about 100 points.

PSU's Big 4 (Nolf, Joseph, Hall, and Nickal) put up 87.5 points by themselves last year. Add in the potential placement and bonus points from AA contenders Lee, Rasheed, and Cassar, and PSU is already blowing everyone out of the water. Any points from 125, RBY, and Berge/Verk is just icing on the cake.

Anyways, I enjoyed the updates--particularly the ones involving Stanford vs. PSU. Coach Borrelli had his best results ever (albeit a watered down field compared to a few years ago). Woods and Griffith seemed to give Lee and Cenzo all they wanted. Mandarino took Nolf down, and there's a thread somewhere that he is currently in 1st place with the longest time spent on the mat against Nolf with a lead this year. Maybe when Nolf and Nickal graduate...Stanford can win the Scuffle.
Nice summary.

However, JoJo and Stoll are not finalists.

My armchair speculation:

1st let me say Stanford's young wrestlers impressed.

I think though you were a little too conservative on a few PSU guys, with respect to Ok St. You have Fix, Picc, Joe S and White as potential finalists. On the other hand, you have top-5 guys (Lee, Shak and Cassar) as potential AAs. I would put them at pretty much the same level as the aforementioned Cowboys.

Same goes for Brock, Jacobe and Gfeller, if they are AA contenders ... and I agree they are ... I would have to think RBY and Berge deserve better than 'others scoring points'. To me, they look about as close to the AA doorstep as the Poke trio.

for an aha moment, google the arrest for Chance...very sobering and scary for police and hospital staff

Yeah, for him to have come back to where he is now from where he was less than two years ago is nothing short of miraculous. Just a wonderful story, and I hope it continues on that trajectory (so long as it doesn't include beating Cenzo).

For those who have not attended the Scuffle:

Arena is easy in and out.
Parking is $5, close and plentiful.
Seat upgrades are cheap & easy.
Hotels are relatively inexpensive.
The bar & hotel scenes are quite good.
Plenty of friendly fans, wrestlers, & coaches.
Lots of local attractions to mollify a spouse.

It’s hard to love the drive down, but, all in all it’s an exciting cheap date.

"Lots of local attractions" just won't cut it; you gotta mention Lookout Mountain by name! :D

I probably shouldn't admit how many times I watched that highlight.
The guy immediately to the right of the scoreboard is the most animated, but check the kid in the yellow vest thing left of the clock at floor level.

You can see his whole thought process.

"Oh, my, Jason Nolf is gonna get taken down."
What?
What?
You can see him mouth, "Oh, my goodness." when he realizes Jason just did Jason stuff.
Then, leans to his buddy and says, "I knew he wasn't going to get taken down."

Nolf makes me think of the James Coburn character in The Magnificent Seven.
As I remember it...Yul Brynner is talking to the young guy (Horst Buchholz) and says that Coburn is the best there is with a gun, and with a knife. The young guy says “Then who does he compete with?” and Brynner says “Himself.”

Come to think of it, Nolf even kinda looks like Coburn..lanky, emotionless, stoic face.

What Nolf did to BoP...looks like how Dake caught Taylor in that freestyle match a couple yrs ago..I think the first time they met after the NCAAs?

Eh, I think it’s a compliment. We go all Heinz Guderian through the Ardennes Forest of the Scuffle, but he thinks we can envelop more Allied Troops next time

Well now I know what you read when you're not on here.

Plus a Magnificent Seven reference in the same thread, better than the Iceland thread.

Post-Scuffle interview question - what word best describes Cael?

Mark Hall: Blunt.

Nick Lee: Caring.

Unusual combination.

Reactions: diggerpup
Good choice. The original post was 6 consecutive wrestlers though. So you would have to add Gulibon at 141 or McCutcheon 197 and neither placed
Though McCutcheon was R12. Without doing the math, (1 + R12) vs. (2 + 6) is probably a slight advantage to 1997 Iowa, but one that could be overcome with bonus.

think Nickel's answer was intense... need to go back a re-view

Bo said, "Poised." Cenzo said, "passionate" (after deciding his first choice shouldn't be said out loud lol).

BTW, Cenzo said he didn't like having his match with Marsteller be the final match. Said he'd rather get his match over and be able to watch and enjoy his teammates' matches.

P.S. Shak's interview was enjoyable too. He said he was disappointed in the low score of his match and would rather it be a 20-17 win than 4-1. "I should've gotten after it more. I want majors, techs, pins. I don't want no 4-1. It's fricken boring. It's not me." Shak also said he sometimes get's humbled in the room and that his main room partner is Cenzo ("Cenzo, that's my guy right there, we go more than anybody"). That may help explain why Cenzo doesn't have problems with the size/strength of any of the other 165's in the country.

Last edited:
Bo said, "Poised." Cenzo said, "passionate" (after deciding his first choice shouldn't be said out loud lol).

BTW, Cenzo said he didn't like having his match with Marsteller be the final match. Said he'd rather get his match over and be able to watch and enjoy his teammates' matches.

P.S. Shak's interview was enjoyable too. He said he was disappointed in the low score of his match and would rather it be a 20-17 win than 4-1. "I should've gotten after it more. I want majors, techs, pins. I don't want no 4-1. It's fricken boring. It's not me." Shak also said he sometimes get's humbled in the room and that his main room partner is Cenzo ("Cenzo, that's my guy right there, we go more than anybody"). That may help explain why Cenzo doesn't have problems with the size/strength of any of the other 165's in the country.
prep him for Wick, somewhat

Yeah. Kinda like Bo training all summer with DT. Everybody else is easy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT