ADVERTISEMENT

Souther Scuffle Day 2 Official Thread

train of thought: werewolf - Jack Nicholson - what's the name of that movie? the one with Michelle Pfeiffer in it - Damn, Michelle Pfeiffer - google Michelle Pfeiffer - images - not sure why I'm here, but damn, Michelle Pfeiffer.

I'll take a guess: Witches of Eastwick [Pfeiffer, Cher & someone else?]

Pleasant surprises so far.

Bo P and Manville - Wow, my hat is off to both of them, super solid results and some injury protection for the team. MM almost made the semis. Loved it.

RBY - hearing that he is under the weather I loved how he came out against Gomez and displayed clearly he can hang with that level of talent. So he got caught, a lot of kids get caught while freshmen. He doesn't have the upper body to go strength with Fix, Gomez or any of these kids. He is dynamic in space and will have to bail out of upper body ties
and body locks. I think he thought they would fall out of bounds and relaxed a bit until it was too late.

The more I think about Berge the better I feel. He has the ability, speed and strength to be really good. With him, I think it is more of a confidence thing. He will get stronger every year and an AA by March is looking better.

All of our big guns look fantastic and Cassar just plain scares me.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimNazium
Don't like that Berge let's inferior wrestlers stay too close. Degen should not be able to hang with him but without faster and more catch and release bad things can happen.

Update - a good closing 30 seconds
Degan is ranked #7. Berge either #12 or #13 so it was a good win over a ranked wrestler, who took out Lugo earlier this year.

Only doing this as an exercise for tournament scoring info. An upset here is unlikely...and I love me some Bo Pipher...what a tournament!!

I think I read that finals will start with 174 and end with Joseph - Marsteller, but I can't find the post. If so, what happens if PSU needs a bonus point win from Nolf to either win the tournament (unlikely) or set the team scoring record (a distinct possibility)? How is scoring handled if Bo takes a MFF?

I swear. Cenzo may be a four timer and still not get credit he's deserved.
I'll take the other side on this one, assuming you're referencing the #5 ranking in Flo's P4P.

First, what does Flo know? It's someone's opinion, nothing more...though they claim neutrality.

Fact is, it's body of work, for their version of P4P, and Cenzo's schedule has not been as tough as Zahid's...plus Cenzo doesn't have a Hall to contend with. VJ is ahead of Diakomihalis, Martin, Suriano, and others, so doesn't look horribly wrong. Could be 4th or 5th, but not ahead of Nolf, Nickal, or Hall.

Said it before...I really like the NCAA version of P4P, called the Most Dominant Wrestler Award. The math is clean, and the data is normalized in that it treats each weight class equally. The only thing missing is a strength-of-schedule component...but since the year-end award includes the NCAA tournament, it's a solid measure. I'll publish an up-to-date standing after the Scuffle. Looks like PSU guys in 5 of the top-6 spots, pending tonight's results.

I think I read that finals will start with 174 and end with Joseph - Marsteller, but I can't find the post. If so, what happens if PSU needs a bonus point win from Nolf to either win the tournament (unlikely) or set the team scoring record (a distinct possibility)? How is scoring handled if Bo takes a MFF?
Same as a Fall, points-wise. Don't see that happening.

Pleasant surprises so far.

Bo P and Manville - Wow, my hat is off to both of them, super solid results and some injury protection for the team. Both almost made the semis. Loved it.

RBY - hearing that he is under the weather I loved how he came out against Gomez and displayed clearly he can hang with that level of talent. So he got caught, a lot of kids get caught while freshmen. He doesn't have the upper body to go strength with Fix, Gomez or any of these kids. He is dynamic in space and will have to bail out of upper body ties
and body locks. I think he thought they would fall out of bounds and relaxed a bit until it was too late.

The more I think about Berge the better I feel. He has the ability, speed and strength to be really good. With him, I think it is more of a confidence thing. He will get better every year and am AA by March is looking better.

All of our big guns look fantastic and Cassar just plain scares me.
First, Bo P did not "almost" make the semi's, he did in fact make the finals though. And second, love the fact that you were sour on Berge until 1) he wins and 2) someone had to point out to you that Degen is ranked in the top 10 and not some inferior opponent.

Last edited:
Degan is ranked #7. Berge either #12 or #13 so it was a good win over a ranked wrestler, who took out Lugo earlier this year.

Degan is better than he gets credit for. He is so tall it presents leverage problems and he often scores when you think he is dead to rights. DSJ was a long guy himself, so he is a good fit style wise. It was a very good win for Berge and certainly not a bad loss for Degan.

Reactions: tikk10

what is the scoring record?

I'll take the other side on this one, assuming you're referencing the #5 ranking in Flo's P4P.

First, what does Flo know? It's someone's opinion, nothing more...though they claim neutrality.

Fact is, it's body of work, for their version of P4P, and Cenzo's schedule has not been as tough as Zahid's...plus Cenzo doesn't have a Hall to contend with. VJ is ahead of Diakomihalis, Martin, Suriano, and others, so doesn't look horribly wrong. Could be 4th or 5th, but not ahead of Nolf, Nickal, or Hall.

Said it before...I really like the NCAA version of P4P, called the Most Dominant Wrestler Award. The math is clean, and the data is normalized in that it treats each weight class equally. The only thing missing is a strength-of-schedule component...but since the year-end award includes the NCAA tournament, it's a solid measure. I'll publish an up-to-date standing after the Scuffle. Looks like PSU guys in 5 of the top-6 spots, pending tonight's results.

Sorry if it was already mentioned but was there a reason that Mekhi Lewis didnt wrestle this weekend. it would have been fun to see Cenzo face off Mekhi in the semis

what is the scoring record?

As previously posted by Roar:

-- All-time record is 198, set by the Cowboys in 2017
-- PSU at 179 as of now
-- RBY and Berge can get 3.5 more each by winning the consi semi's, plus one more by placing 3rd, plus bonus
-- PSU has finalists at 7 weight classes, each worth 4 points, plus bonus

19 point difference. Looks possible...let's see how RBY and Berge do first.
As noted above in post 349, current PSU total is 186.

-- RBY and Berge going for 3rd, worth 1 Placement Point, plus bonus
-- Seven weight classes with finalists, worth 4 Placement Points for each win, plus bonus
-- We need 12.5 Points to set the record

As previously posted by Roar:

-- All-time record is 198, set by the Cowboys in 2017
-- PSU at 179 as of now
-- RBY and Berge can get 3.5 more each by winning the consi semi's, plus one more by placing 3rd, plus bonus
-- PSU has finalists at 7 weight classes, each worth 4 points, plus bonus

19 point difference. Looks possible...let's see how RBY and Berge do first.
As noted above in post 349, current PSU total is 186.

-- RBY and Berge going for 3rd, worth 1 Placement Point, plus bonus
-- Seven weight classes with finalists, worth 4 Placement Points for each win, plus bonus
-- We need 12.5 Points to set the record
Flo Arena has PSU at 186 points. Is that factoring in the guaranteed points at 157?

Flo Arena has PSU at 186 points. Is that factoring in the guaranteed points at 157?
He edited his post within. The line underneath 19 point difference that starts "As noted above..." is updated to reflect rby and berge in the consol semis

A quick review (quick meaning I could be mistaken), and it appears the FloArena numbers DO include 4 at 157 (not sure why, given the circumstances). I'm off by a point elsewhere...guessing they've included Shak's first BP win...which I thought JB said wouldn't count towards the team score. That doesn't make sense...more likely, the bout doesn't count on Shak's official record, but the BP does count in the tournament. I'll clean this all up after the finals.

Last edited:
Reactions: funkisfun12
WE ARE going to crush the finals and in that crush the scoring record.

#nolosesthisround
#winning
#lionsblood

Childhold's gate and I'm not even an actual alum.
To be fair to Wrestler2u, at one time it was boyhoods gate (I'm dating myself since I attended Penn State at that time). Just like the last line of the third stanza use to be: "Into Men, Into Men".

Reactions: Hartzie
After a lousy day, I'm back. Missed everything from sometime around the 133/141 semis. I'll have to catch up via this thread.

174 Final: Mark Hall vs. JoJo Smith (Ok. St.)

Per 1
Nothing much thru 1 min. Lots of battling, but no real shots thru 2 minutes. Smith tries to get in on the right side, nothing. Hall really working the JoJo's head. Smith drives in, nothing. End

Per 2
Smith takes bottom. Smith up quickly to his feet, taken back down, works back up, and taken back down. Smith back to feet, and finally gets out after 27 sec, 0-1. Hall tries a single leg shot, kind of blocked by JoJo. Smith works an undertook and tries to get in, nothing. 30 sec left. End RT @ 27 sec for Hall

Per 3
Hall takes bottom. Spiral ride, but Hall stands and peels out in 10 sec, 1-1. Smith in on a double, Hall staves it off. Hall in, but Smith fights it off. Smith pulls in on Hall's head and controls the head. 1 min left. Hall shoots another single, blocked. Smith in on a double, but Hall avoids it. Hall in on a single, elevates, and brings him down in a cradle, 3-1. Gets 2 NF for a 5-1 win.

Wow, crazy finish after a great battle

Hall's 3rd Scuffle title, I believe

Reactions: dsites52
Thoughts on Nick Lee's Finals opponent Real Woods? Looks like he's a true freshman, 3x large school (3A) Illinois State Champion and 2nd Placer his sophomore year. Flo had him ranked #2 at 132 last year behind RBY in their final rankings. Only wrestled one other time this year, winning the Princeton Open. He's unranked (maybe still redshirting?) but don't see this as automatic for Nick, by any means!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT