ADVERTISEMENT

State tournaments

i hope we get to see arnold-barr. i think arnold is a tough match up for him.
It didn't work out very well for Arnold before.

tom-arnold-roseanne-barr-2-14608a825911432fb2dd83d16bf748f0.jpg

Aydan Thomas Uncommitted
Beric Jordan Okie St
Sam Smith Okie St
JJ McComas Uncommitted
Cael Hughes Okie St
Kael Voinovich Uncommitted
LaDarion Lockett Uncommitted
AJ Heeg Okie St
Brayden Thompson Okie St

So Okie State has 125-174 covered?

The Mirasola brothers and Zack Ryder compete in their state tournaments this weekend. Ryder is the number 1 seed in NY with an 8-0 record after coming back from injury. Connor Mirasola is the number 1 seed at 195 while Cole is the number 1 at heavyweight in Wisconsin

This is the kid Gobblin over on HR says is replacing little Jesuroga since he isn't going to wrestle anymore.
No he didn't. He just likes him and his sister wrestles for the womens team, so he hopes he flips. Valencia is currently committed to Stanford.

His father is hiring lawyers. Supposedly they have check scales that showed him under but he was 0.1 lbs over on the official scale.
He posted a video within the weigh in time frame of him half a pound under on the check scale. He's dry too, so it doesn't look like he was still cutting or anything.

I've seen this happen before where the check scale is not calibrated with the official scales. This was also the problem when Burroughs almost missed weight against IMAR a few years ago.

No he didn't. He just likes him and his sister wrestles for the womens team, so he hopes he flips. Valencia is currently committed to Stanford.

He posted a video within the weigh in time frame of him half a pound under on the check scale. He's dry too, so it doesn't look like he was still cutting or anything.

I've seen this happen before where the check scale is not calibrated with the official scales. This was also the problem when Burroughs almost missed weight against IMAR a few years ago.
Ok let me be more specific then. He said Iowa was in on trying to get him to flip. I'll try to be more exact next time but keep in mind I can't double check my work and going off memory now since I've been banned.

Your crew is fine with accusing parents of taking payoffs, programs cheating and kids juicing. You'll have to forgive me for not caring if I get the finer details of what's posted over there correctly.

Last edited:
Legally is there anything that can be done? He’s not going to be allowed to compete obviously. Also, he said weigh-ins were from 10:00-11:00 and at 10:28 he checked his weight and was under. If that’s the case why wouldn’t he weigh-in then and being over on the official scale still have 30 min to go cut the .1?

Last edited:
He missed weight. Holy cow, now his Wealthy daddy is calling in lawyers. Why was it no one else missed weight if the scale was off? Rules are rules, he isn’t the first or last Person who missed weight at states. However this could be the first time a dad tries to bring in his team of lawyers. I get state champions are great, but this kid is already going to a solid D1 program.

This bring me back to these VIP, day before weigh ins. I have a feeling this kid missed weight before and his dad got him through it.
Look at Ironman this year. A PA Kid missed weight, leaves the weigh in area and comes back with another coach. Then magically makes weight. They cross out the .1 and he goes on to place. I give California credit for holding their ground and keeping the integrity of the event their top priority.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Legally is there anything that can be done? He’s not going to be allowed to compete obviously. Also, he said weigh-ins were from 10:00-11:00 and at 10:28 he checked his weight and was under. If that’s the case why wouldn’t he weigh-in then and being over on the official scale still have 30 min to go cut the .1?
The father is fighting to change the process for the future. So other kids don't lose an opportunity .

Seems genuine to me.

I don't know CIF procedure but in PA, weigh-in slots are announced on the arena speakers - i.e., all 145s report in 10 minutes (paraphrasing but you get the idea). You miss your slot, you're not allowed to weigh in with a later group.

Another possibility with CA is that it's a single classification state, so maybe there was a line for official weigh-ins? Just guessing there, but it would explain a delay after the check weight.

I don't know CIF procedure but in PA, weigh-in slots are announced on the arena speakers - i.e., all 145s report in 10 minutes (paraphrasing but you get the idea). You miss your slot, you're not allowed to weigh in with a later group.

Another possibility with CA is that it's a single classification state, so maybe there was a line for official weigh-ins? Just guessing there, but it would explain a delay after the check weight.
Things have probably changed but we always had around 20 minutes or so to go lose a tiny amount of weight if we were over during the official weigh in. I believe we only had 1 more chance to actually make it and if you were still over that was it. Things have obviously changed especially regarding cutting weight so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not done like that anymore. We cut a ton of weight back then with no real safeguards in place. Definitely one area where the sport has changed for the better

At least where I used to work, “official scales” (used for calibration) must be periodically certified against a National Standard. Yep … the “official scale” can also get out of standard. Lots of twists for a good lawyer to work in favor of his client.

Reactions: hlstone
Things have probably changed but we always had around 20 minutes or so to go lose a tiny amount of weight if we were over during the official weigh in. I believe we only had 1 more chance to actually make it and if you were still over that was it. Things have obviously changed especially regarding cutting weight so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not done like that anymore. We cut a ton of weight back then with no real safeguards in place. Definitely one area where the sport has changed for the better
PA had a J'Den Cox type missed weight situation a few years ago.

Kid put on his headphones and went for a light jog, never went outside (unlike Cox) but ended up on the opposite end of the arena when his weight was called. Didn't hear the announcement. By the time his coach found him, he missed his slot and was disqualified.

First-time state qualifier, also his coach's first qualifier. Neither knew the process. Perfect storm.

IIRC he was a senior too, so an especially crappy situation.

At least where I used to work, “official scales” (used for calibration) must be periodically certified against a National Standard. Yep … the “official scale” can also get out of standard. Lots of twists for a good lawyer to work in favor of his client.
My 93-yo dad religiously takes his blood pressure at home daily. We noticed that the doctor never even read Dad's home readings, so we took his machine to the hospital to get checked against official. Dad's machine was off by over 10.

Non-medical: I work for a large engineering company. Our test instrumentation needs to be recalibrated every 2 years (some sensors fail sooner). This becomes a real challenge on complex platforms (think aircraft or military vehicles) -- nobody wants to pause a test program by several months to check out the instrumentation. Also nobody wants bad data.

Also non-medical: if you ever get pulled over for speeding, get the radar gun's equipment number. Chances are very good it's well out of calibration.

National preps are taking place today and tomorrow. Sealey is the number 1 seed at 157. The 120 final could be a really good one between Lilledahl and DeLuca. Hopeful future Nittany lion Jude Correa is the top seed at 190

get the radar gun's equipment number. Chances are very good it's well out of calibration.
And ground sensor on vehicle, if radar used on moving vehicle--along with results of survey of area to ensure accuracy (no reflective structures, not on a turn).

Also assurances that it is mounted securely (like not with duct tape in some states--WVA true story).

But some states will still charge you court costs, if you fight it (again WVA).

Reactions: hlstone and El-Jefe
PIAA official for almost 20 years and here is the procedure in PA:
•All checking of weight must be done before official weigh in starts.
•Scales used for checking are same scales used in official weigh ins.
•Wrestlers cannot change the condition they first stepped on the scale, example: you cannot step on the first time with socks on and then remove socks if over weight to try and make it. (This is a national rule).
•Once official weigh ins start there can be no attempt to lose weight: use the bathroom, run, jump rope, spit, etc.
•The wrestler can step on the original scale they attempted twice: step on, off and back on. (Again a national rule).
•Wrestler can step on ALL remaining official scales one time and one time only in an attempt to make weight.

I find it hard to believe the weigh in officials in California refused to give this guy the opportunity to try all available remaining official weigh in scales.

The big question I have is why didn’t other kids miss weight then? According to the Valencia father there is a half pound difference between scales. With that big of a difference it seems like quite a few kids would have had similar results with multiple kids missing weight. Just seems really strange

•Wrestlers cannot change the condition they first stepped on the scale, example: you cannot step on the first time with socks on and then remove socks if over weight to try and make it. (This is a national rule).
•Once official weigh ins start there can be no attempt to lose weight: use the bathroom, run, jump rope, spit, etc.
•The wrestler can step on the original scale they attempted twice: step on, off and back on. (Again a national rule).
•Wrestler can step on ALL remaining official scales one time and one time only in an attempt to make weight.

I find it hard to believe the weigh in officials in California refused to give this guy the opportunity to try all available remaining official weigh in scales.
I think a couple of things could change for the better.

Most kids weigh in with their underwear on. If they miss by .1, drop 'em and make weight.

That doesn't work, shave the head. That usually loses an ounce or two.

Neither of these practices gives the kid an advantage. Just embarrassment for a minute.

• Haha
Reactions: PAwrestling
My 93-yo dad religiously takes his blood pressure at home daily. We noticed that the doctor never even read Dad's home readings, so we took his machine to the hospital to get checked against official. Dad's machine was off by over 10.

Non-medical: I work for a large engineering company. Our test instrumentation needs to be recalibrated every 2 years (some sensors fail sooner). This becomes a real challenge on complex platforms (think aircraft or military vehicles) -- nobody wants to pause a test program by several months to check out the instrumentation. Also nobody wants bad data.

Also non-medical: if you ever get pulled over for speeding, get the radar gun's equipment number. Chances are very good it's well out of calibration.
We do that with our gas meters at work. Annual cleaning, calibration, and sensor changes.

Wow, things have changed since I was wrestling in the 70s.

Reactions: hlstone

Probably behind a paywall but it’s Sealey’s round of 16 match. Was up 20-8 early in the second when he got the fall. Kid is so dynamic on his feet. Hit probably 6 different kinds of tds out of his 10 in this match. All in under 3 min of wrestling. His pace and scoring prowess is going to remind fans of Nolf and Nickal. Not the pinner that they were but his creativity and neutral attacks are similar. He’s going to be a very good one

I have ask, but I have had cops just refuse to give the information. It has been quite a while since I have received a ticket and had to ask though.

I have ask, but I have had cops just refuse to give the information. It has been quite a while since I have received a ticket and had to ask though.
I asked once. The Officer was happy to show me the radar unit and well as the nice leather bound calibration record book he kept he the glove box. He had several years of data and the most recent recording was two weeks prior. I didn't bother writing anything down and gave him a complement on keeping such clean records.

Last edited:
Ok let me be more specific then. He said Iowa was in on trying to get him to flip. I'll try to be more exact next time but keep in mind I can't double check my work and going off memory now since I've been banned.

Your crew is fine with accusing parents of taking payoffs, programs cheating and kids juicing. You'll have to forgive me for not caring if I get the finer details of what's posted over there correctly.
You've been banned again wtf man lol. Seriously. What did you do this time?

You can still read their forum. Open up a private window, go to their site but don't sign-in.

For a private window right click your browser icon located in the "dock". You'll see an open called "Open Private Window" or "Open In-Cognito Window" or something similar. The dock is that bar across the bottom or side of your computer containing icons.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT