ADVERTISEMENT

Super 32

Aren't the consi's shortened periods too?

I can't stand paying for a tournament and they have 2-1-1 or shortened ass periods on the backside. Especially when kids tell me their purpose is "mat time"... We get that lecture a lot. You compete to win. If you're there for "mat time" come get simulation, full-length matches in the room.

giphy.gif

I don't think it's about being afraid of putting it on the line with many of these guys. A couple of things at play here:
  • Early weighins basically make this an event that rewards cutting a bunch of weight. And it's the time of year (weight certs coming up) when lots of guys are doing it. So sometimes you get a week before and you're not quite there with the cut, so you just bag it.
  • It's a grueling event with tons of matches. If you're thing less than 100%, you need to scratch.
  • All the above, plus the normal stuff that comes up - travel, personal, training issues - makes it an event you see more scratches than normal.
Lots of great points. Make Super 32 multiple day weigh ins. Do the whole money grab thing on Friday, then anyone who makes Sunday should reweigh in. Lots will change I assume

Reactions: KBotero
Aren't the consi's shortened periods too?

I can't stand paying for a tournament and they have 2-1-1 or shortened ass periods on the backside. Especially when kids tell me their purpose is "mat time"... We get that lecture a lot. You compete to win. If you're there for "mat time" come get simulation, full-length matches in the room.
Can't agree enough with this.
The benefit of off-season competitions is the "competition" part of the equation.

Now, I do understand the need to shorten the matches by the tournament. That's a function of the logistics of a large bracket tournament. Not ideal, but no alternative.

That said if you take the mat for a one minute match, the goal is to win, not just get some time in.

Lots of great points. Make Super 32 multiple day weigh ins. Do the whole money grab thing on Friday, then anyone who makes Sunday should reweigh in. Lots will change I assume
Logistically, I understand why they do the early, early weigh in thing.

To me, it's just another factor that you have to figure in when reviewing results. Just like almost every other off-season event. Lots of factors are different - wrestling weight, short periods (which can make an early mistake fatal, also make it much easier to bleed out a period without penalty), training cycle, etc.

It is not quite the same as the regular season. It's often why you see results that can be surprising and not likely to be repeated when things are really on the line.

The only off-season events these don't apply to are Fargo and team trials. Of course, these are in the Olympic styles which are quite different - even Freestyle - than folk, so hard to take much more than general talent level from individual results there as well.

Mutarelli got injured in his rd of 32 match and MFF out. Would have liked to see exactly where he stacked up against the rest of that stacked bracket

Reactions: danoftw
Who does Matthew O'Neil wrestle for? He's a 113 pounder still in Middle School. He's one long drink of water. Unseeded, he just decked the 4th seed, and faces Ayden Smith of NDGP in the quarters. Five of the 8 quarter finalists at 113 are PA Guys.

Who does Matthew O'Neil wrestle for? He's a 113 pounder still in Middle School. He's one long drink of water. Unseeded, he just decked the 4th seed, and faces Ayden Smith of NDGP in the quarters. Five of the 8 quarter finalists at 113 are PA Guys.
Most likely Malvern Prep -- he was in their middle school program.

IIRC he's from Drexel Hill, and just can't imagine him competing at his home HS (Upper Darby).

Most likely Malvern Prep -- he was in their middle school program.

IIRC he's from Drexel Hill, and just can't imagine him competing at his home HS (Upper Darby).
Thanks. When I was in school, UD was one of the top 2 or 3 programs in SE PA. Of course, that was during the stone age.

Malvern Prep. He attends their version of middle school I believe

Reactions: oldcougar65
What a day for Pennsylvania. Just getting to the results now. Had a feeling the bucks would be moving but was wrong. 106- Bachman is going to be a pa great. Poor Davidheiser won’t start again for Faith. 113- Pennsylvania owns this weight. Five of eight in the quarters is incredible. This group is loaded. 120- would love to see Dillard Vs Desmond. 126- Forest looks like he is in midseason form. Him and Bassett will be beating College next month in opens. Jax scored close to 100 points today. 132- Harer lost a heart breaker to Parkins. Bassett five 1st period tech falls is silly. Those quarters are going to be fire. 138- another Pa dominated weight. Four in the quarters. Seems like when DT is in Perry’s corner he wrestles great. Wonder who gets 138 got cent Mt with Dalt and Simcox? Could be have the same issue from last year. Shaw squeaked by a few today it looks like. 144- no Pierson makes me sad. Miller beat the Blair kid. Great win for the youngster. Mcort had a solid day with four in quarters. Little Gibson will also be on team somewhere. 150 we will see Bouzakis Vs Rath here. 157 Harer is going to win this. Sipes pushed Lockett. Conner is wrestling great.
190 Lawerance and hogan are both so good but neither might make the finals. That is a good weight. I heard Asher looked tough. Big Pav could make a run. Hwt seems wide open

What happened with Milheim getting DQ’d

What a day for Pennsylvania. Just getting to the results now. Had a feeling the bucks would be moving but was wrong. 106- Bachman is going to be a pa great. Poor Davidheiser won’t start again for Faith. 113- Pennsylvania owns this weight. Five of eight in the quarters is incredible. This group is loaded. 120- would love to see Dillard Vs Desmond. 126- Forest looks like he is in midseason form. Him and Bassett will be beating College next month in opens. Jax scored close to 100 points today. 132- Harer lost a heart breaker to Parkins. Bassett five 1st period tech falls is silly. Those quarters are going to be fire. 138- another Pa dominated weight. Four in the quarters. Seems like when DT is in Perry’s corner he wrestles great. Wonder who gets 138 got cent Mt with Dalt and Simcox? Could be have the same issue from last year. Shaw squeaked by a few today it looks like. 144- no Pierson makes me sad. Miller beat the Blair kid. Great win for the youngster. Mcort had a solid day with four in quarters. Little Gibson will also be on team somewhere. 150 we will see Bouzakis Vs Rath here. 157 Harer is going to win this. Sipes pushed Lockett. Conner is wrestling great.
190 Lawerance and hogan are both so good but neither might make the finals. That is a good weight. I heard Asher looked tough. Big Pav could make a run. Hwt seems wide open

Not sure I agree with Sipes pushing Lockett. Could Harer beat Lockett? Sure. Wouldn’t be that far fetched. But think it’s far from a given.

Not sure I agree with Sipes pushing Lockett. Could Harer beat Lockett? Sure. Wouldn’t be that far fetched. But think it’s far from a given.
It was not Sipes that pushed Lockett, it was the round before when Lockett won 2-0 over another wrestlefrom CA.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU

157 Harer just lost in the semis to a CA kid. Got dominated on his feet.

First time seeing the 3-point TD and one thing I already hate:

The third period is tied and you get taken down with under a minute to go. You can't get a reversal and ride out to tie the score. Reversal is almost useless. You have to score two moves to go ahead (escape, TD) or there need to be 3 scoring moves (reversal, release, TD) if you score a reversal.

If you get taken down with under a minute to go, it's going to be very, very hard to not lose the match. You've essentially taken Sudden Death and extended it into the last regulation of the match. Which is going to have the reverse effect of what they want to accomplish.

Makes no sense to me that a TD is worth more than a reversal unless you just want to eliminate mat wrestling.

Ben Davino loses to Sergio Vega 6-5 and Bassett beats Larkin 11-6. I didn’t see Davino losing that match.

Does anyone know why Villasenor forfeited in the semis? Super tough kid from CO. Would have liked to see him vs Bachmann

The 3 point takedown was a bad idea before it was ever implement and is a bad idea now having seen it.

It does nothing to fix the issues people claimed it would and has only created new ones. Here’s hoping those in charge realize their folly immediately and we can all forget it was ever a thing a year from now.

The 3 point takedown was a bad idea before it was ever implement and is a bad idea now having seen it.

It does nothing to fix the issues people claimed it would and has only created new ones. Here’s hoping those in charge realize their folly immediately and we can all forget it was ever a thing a year from now.
Completely agree. This is going to be a one-year-only thing unless we have people with an agenda at the helm. Which isn't out of the question.

You could chalk it up to the "law of unintended consequences," but these consequences were easily foreseen.

Reactions: Jayhouse
Completely agree. This is going to be a one-year-only thing unless we have people with an agenda at the helm. Which isn't out of the question.
People talked about creating more action but reality was kids and coaches were mad that 2 TD were equal to 1 TD and 2E.

Of course, the easy answer to that is to just not give the escape and be better on top. But it’s just a further step toward de-emphasizing mat wrestling in folk, which sucks.

Reactions: donboy6499
People talked about creating more action but reality was kids and coaches were mad that 2 TD were equal to 1 TD and 2E.

Of course, the easy answer to that is to just not give the escape and be better on top. But it’s just a further step toward de-emphasizing mat wrestling in folk, which sucks.
Thank you.

Saying so around here made one sound like an old stick in the mud when it came down as a rule change. It’s not going to kill the sport or anything, but it solves nothing. Could be detrimental, especially if college officials refuse to call a second/third stalling.

You hit the nail on the head. This is exactly the impetus of this. And this reaction was basically throwing sh$t on the wall.

The upside of this is there will be no more complaining about refs calling the top guy for stalling (which I could have a whole nother conversation about this, as it is also symptomatic of a lot of wrestlers just not developing bottom skills due to the catch and release era), because everyone is going to be completely irate about neutral stalling this year, especially in the 3rd period when there is absolutely no incentive to take risk if you've already gotten a TD earlier in the match. The 3 point TD essentially ensures an extra 30 to 45 seconds of stall time (since refs are loathe to call two consecutive stallings too quickly) and will make the last 1:30 or so of many matches unwatchable. Here's how it plays out:

Wrestler A has an escape and a TD in first 2 periods. Wrestler B has an escape (after getting taken down). Wrestler B takes bottom. With fairly minimal effort, wrestler A rides for 30 seconds before giving up the escape to make it 4-2. Then he can stall for 30 seconds to first warning, stall for another 30 seconds for the first point to make it 4-3 and then basically stall the last 30 seconds as you probably only have a 1 in 50 chance of the ref calling a 3rd consecutive stalling with under 5 seconds to go to tie up a match. More likely that it takes him longer to call the 2nd stall to make it 4-3 with like 15 seconds to go to give wrestler B the meaningless point.

Really looking forward to it. It will be wash, rinse and repeat this year.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT