ADVERTISEMENT

Suriano still out?

First of all I do want him in to take points from tOSU.

Secondly, I agree we need to move past it, plus I never wish ill health or injury on anyone.

But, with regards to the comment about moving jobs. If you had signed a non-compete you would abide by it. How he left and the fact that other wrestlers, like Cortez, manned up and sat a year, versus him complaining to the Big Ten, is what annoys me.

But, like you said, we need to move past it.
Actually, people argue non competes ALL the time. And win many times.

Rutgers coaching...I agree. But I kinda wish we could just remove NS from that conversation and just move on. It’s not a good look for us.

Reactions: Fatmarc
With the braggadocio coming from RU and the chatter about them being a perennial top 5 or top top 10 team, I assumed they had a history of wrestling success that I just wasn’t aware of. Nope. Got to looking at the historical team results at the link below. Of the 39 times they’ve scored team points in the NCAAs their best finish was 15th. That happened once (2016) and they did worse the next year.

Interesting to note the schools on the list with stronger wrestling credentials, many of whom have shut down their programs. No, I’m not suggesting Rutgers should shut down their program or that they won’t do well in the future. They obviously have some solid building blocks to work with at present. Just noting the apparent disconnect between their current attitude, expectations, and pending facility upgrades vis-a-vis past performance.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/wrestling_champs_records/2017-18/D1.pdf

Just don't post something like that on the Scarlet board, they'll take your head off as a troll. I'll add that they lose DelVecchio, DeLuca, Lewis, Gross this year and Ashnault and Gravina are injury concerns for next season. It's hard for me to understand the "we are moving in the right direction" and "we are a top 10 team" mentality. But Goodale has been saying they *feel* they are a top ten team for about 5 or 6 years now and, even more ridiculously a couple years ago, that they *feel* they have multiple national champs in the room (unless he was including Pritzlaff, but it was pretty clear he was talking about the wrestlers).

Notwithstanding all the "feeling", Rutgers is a top 15-20 team in good years and in the 30's in others. I think they should get some results before they tout themselves as a top 10 team. But that's not the way the coach rolls.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER
Just don't post something like that on the Scarlet board, they'll take your head off as a troll. I'll add that they lose DelVecchio, DeLuca, Lewis, Gross this year and Ashnault and Gravina are injury concerns for next season. It's hard for me to understand the "we are moving in the right direction" and "we are a top 10 team" mentality. But Goodale has been saying they *feel* they are a top ten team for about 5 or 6 years now and, even more ridiculously a couple years ago, that they *feel* they have multiple national champs in the room (unless he was including Pritzlaff, but it was pretty clear he was talking about the wrestlers).

Notwithstanding all the "feeling", Rutgers is a top 15-20 team in good years and in the 30's in others. I think they should get some results before they tout themselves as a top 10 team. But that's not the way the coach rolls.

Ive been saying for a while, if Rutgers wants a perennial top 10 team they need to bring in a new head coach. One with credentials capable of competing for recruits. Rutgers is already losing many top Jersey kids coming out of HS this year, let alone out of state

How tough is the decision to wrestle for Cael, Ryan, Brands et al or great HS coach Goodale that nobody outside of NJ ever heard of?

Reactions: matter7172
I'm not doubting you, but isn't this the only season he has missed due to injury?

No. Technically, he missed part of his redshirt season due to injury (I'll never understand how the NCAA figures these things out. If you are not competing, how do you get an extra year because you weren't able to compete? Gravina also had an injury his redshirt season and he was apparently able to get an extra year). He'll most likely get the extra year, but thinking that his return from a torn labrum and surgery is an absolute certainty is not rational. Neither Alton made it back to anything close to 100% after their similar injuries.

But not to worry - Goodale has no worries about Ashnault being in the lineup *this* season - because the plan was to have him start wrestling in December 2017.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball...shnault_rutgers_wrestling_star_will_miss.html

I feel the world should be filled with unicorns farting rainbows but...oh well.

No. Technically, he missed part of his redshirt season due to injury (I'll never understand how the NCAA figures these things out. If you are not competing, how do you get an extra year because you weren't able to compete? Gravina also had an injury his redshirt season and he was apparently able to get an extra year). He'll most likely get the extra year, but thinking that his return from a torn labrum and surgery is an absolute certainty is not rational. Neither Alton made it back to anything close to 100% after their similar injuries.

But not to worry - Goodale has no worries about Ashnault being in the lineup *this* season - because the plan was to have him start wrestling in December 2017.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball...shnault_rutgers_wrestling_star_will_miss.html
Article was before Ashnault got a medical.If no medical he would've had no choice but to wrestle

Ive been saying for a while, if Rutgers wants a perennial top 10 team they need to bring in a new head coach. One with credentials capable of competing for recruits. Rutgers is already losing many top Jersey kids coming out of HS this year, let alone out of state

How tough is the decision to wrestle for Cael, Ryan, Brands et al or great HS coach Goodale that nobody outside of NJ ever heard of?

I'm in total agreement with you. First, Goodale never even placed at Nationals. He qualified three times at Lock Haven. He never won a state title in NJ. So his credentials as a wrestler aren't nearly as good as a ton, a literal ton, of coaches, including Santoro at Lehigh. Heck, Zach Tanelli at Columbia had more success in college and at least wrestled in the B1G. Why would you think Scott Goodale is *the* guy to lead you to the podium - or even help you be the best wrestler you can be?

Second, the stupid things he says in the media aren't exactly helping the cause. He comes across as a guy with a lot of bravado (or that he doesn't think before he talks) and little results.

Third, he is generally clueless about in-match strategy, which results in a lot of close losses for his wrestlers that could be close wins.

If I were the Rutgers AD, I'd be thinking that maybe the guy on staff with the NJ state titles and NCAA titles as a wrestler, a lot of coaching experience at the collegiate level and whose arrival on staff saw several midweight wrestlers overachieve is the guy who should be leading the program.

Reactions: JohnnyHandsome
I'm in total agreement with you. First, Goodale never even placed at Nationals. He qualified three times at Lock Haven. He never won a state title in NJ. So his credentials as a wrestler aren't nearly as good as a ton, a literal ton, of coaches, including Santoro at Lehigh. Heck, Zach Tanelli at Columbia had more success in college and at least wrestled in the B1G. Why would you think Scott Goodale is *the* guy to lead you to the podium - or even help you be the best wrestler you can be?

Second, the stupid things he says in the media aren't exactly helping the cause. He comes across as a guy with a lot of bravado (or that he doesn't think before he talks) and little results.

Third, he is generally clueless about in-match strategy, which results in a lot of close losses for his wrestlers that could be close wins.

If I were the Rutgers AD, I'd be thinking that maybe the guy on staff with the NJ state titles and NCAA titles as a wrestler, a lot of coaching experience at the collegiate level and whose arrival on staff saw several midweight wrestlers overachieve is the guy who should be leading the program.
Did the Goodale hiring have anything to do with getting Winston to commit? The timing sure seemed like it if I remember right. If so, that should have been an omen in itself.

With regards to Spencer Lee he is a lot like Nick Suriano. He went to Iowa to turn the program around. I feel he wouldn't be as happy at Penn State as he is at Iowa. He wants to be the leader(nothing wrong with that) and that wasn't going to happen at Penn State. BTW I think Cael saw that when he was soft recruiting Spencer and his father.

That said, he is doing a great job reviving the other wrestlers on the team. In a couple of years they will be a contender. Well, a bridesmaid anyway.

Agree 100% on the statements made, also agree that we may have been able to focus on Spencer if we had known about what was going to happen. I will have to pull for NS though in the event he comes up against anyone that could help us win another team title. Could be just bad luck for NS on the injuries/illness and not the way a particular training staff handles said injury/illness.
Amazing that anybody ever thought that Cael did not focus on Lee.

1. Since when did having someone else at 125, who could've moved to 133, ever stop Cael?
2. Cael also recruited Fix despite having Suriano already committed.
3. PSU was Lee's runner-up. He said so in his letter stating his reasons for choosing Iowa (wish I could find that link).
4. We've discussed this countless times.

To play devil's advocate: one could've said the same thing about Dresser at Virginia Tech, and with a much lesser in-state talent pool to draw from.

Then again, Goodale is no Dresser.

Amazing that anybody ever thought that Cael did not focus on Lee.

1. Since when did having someone else at 125, who could've moved to 133, ever stop Cael?
2. Cael also recruited Fix despite having Suriano already committed.
3. PSU was Lee's runner-up. He said so in his letter stating his reasons for choosing Iowa (wish I could find that link).
4. We've discussed this countless times.

All 3 inch binder joking aside. But without NS in the picture, is it plausible Cael could have made Spencer a better offer? Serious question. I don't know.

All 3 inch binder joking aside. But without NS in the picture, is it plausible Cael could have made Spencer a better offer? Serious question. I don't know.
PSU's class of 2017 = Nick Lee, Brady Berge, Verk, and Joey Blumer. Verk and Blumer walked on/book money.

If money were an issue, chances are Berge would've gotten less.

Reactions: TangSoo

Ashnault was 15-3 while wrestling unattached his Fr year. If he can get an extra year from that Cortez should get 7 years. 1 for the year the Big-10 made him sit out ... an arbitrary rule as we now know ... another for the 2 partial seasons he was injured.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Rutgers will always be 3 levels down from PSU no matter what they have for facilities....We have Cael and a great staff who make wrestling fun....

Reactions: GOLDBANGER

According to Goodale, he's already gotten Rutgers to where they need to be. From a 2016 interview:

“I hate hearing that we’re ‘going in the right direction,’” Goodale said. “We’re here already. We’re good enough to compete with everybody. The hard part is now we have to sustain it.”

We are half way there folks! Two more seasons and we can say we’ve spent every dead week (leading up to Bigs) of Surianos career talking about him and an injury. Good thing the kid loves being the center of attention...

We are half way there folks! Two more seasons and we can say we’ve spent every dead week (leading up to Bigs) of Surianos career talking about him and an injury. Good thing the kid loves being the center of attention...

Yea and not to mention a good bit of the summer last year too :(

But at least I learned what an awesome vacation destination Iceland is :)

Just my take. Could be way off. Spencer Lee a PA guy sees Suriano the NJ guy sign on to PSU at 125. Cael’s plan is to bump up Nick to 133 when Lee joins the PSU team. Lee was at many PSU matches as a spectator. Sounds like a great plan. Everybody knows Cael wanted Spencer Lee!! Well I know those two battles a few times on the mat and I am not sure if they were fond of one another to begin with. Then we have Teasdale who is best buds with Lee. They are training partners at Young Guns and obviously want to be teammates at the same college.

Well with Suriano manning the 133 spot for his final three years at PSU that messes up their plans. Now I know Teasdale is still in HS and could possibly RS to bide his time. But still I believe they just wanted to be together as a 1-2 punch and with Suriano at PSU, that made Lee’s decision to go to Iowa that much easier. Now I remember watching his interview with him and Teasdale together. I also remember him saying it came down to PSU and Iowa. So just say if Nick was not there, I’d say there was a better chance for him to attend PSU. Again just my opinion. Please don’t jump down my throat for trying to think like some teenagers.

You know Teasdale by verballing to Iowa early with Lee says they wanted to be together. But then after thinking it over and for whatever reasons switched to PSU. I have no clue why but I am sure having FUN was a priority!!!

Just my take. Could be way off. Spencer Lee a PA guy sees Suriano the NJ guy sign on to PSU at 125. Cael’s plan is to bump up Nick to 133 when Lee joins the PSU team. Lee was at many PSU matches as a spectator. Sounds like a great plan. Everybody knows Cael wanted Spencer Lee!! Well I know those two battles a few times on the mat and I am not sure if they were fond of one another to begin with. Then we have Teasdale who is best buds with Lee. They are training partners at Young Guns and obviously want to be teammates at the same college.

Well with Suriano manning the 133 spot for his final three years at PSU that messes up their plans. Now I know Teasdale is still in HS and could possibly RS to bide his time. But still I believe they just wanted to be together as a 1-2 punch and with Suriano at PSU, that made Lee’s decision to go to Iowa that much easier. Now I remember watching his interview with him and Teasdale together. I also remember him saying it came down to PSU and Iowa. So just say if Nick was not there, I’d say there was a better chance for him to attend PSU. Again just my opinion. Please don’t jump down my throat for trying to think like some teenagers.

You know Teasdale by verballing to Iowa early with Lee says they wanted to be together. But then after thinking it over and for whatever reasons switched to PSU. I have no clue why but I am sure having FUN was a priority!!!

Certainly sounds plausible James....if we could only get a peek at that 3 inch binder.....then all the mysteries could be unraveled :)

To play devil's advocate: one could've said the same thing about Dresser at Virginia Tech, and with a much lesser in-state talent pool to draw from.

Then again, Goodale is no Dresser.

But Dresser at least was a two-time Iowa state champ and an NCAA champ.

With regards to Spencer Lee he is a lot like Nick Suriano. He went to Iowa to turn the program around. I feel he wouldn't be as happy at Penn State as he is at Iowa. He wants to be the leader(nothing wrong with that) and that wasn't going to happen at Penn State. BTW I think Cael saw that when he was soft recruiting Spencer and his father.

That said, he is doing a great job reviving the other wrestlers on the team. In a couple of years they will be a contender. Well, a bridesmaid anyway.

Contender for bridesmaid - sounds about right !

Last edited:
Reactions: purescurve
But Dresser at least was a two-time Iowa state champ and an NCAA champ.
Agreed on the NCAA champ part, Iowa state champ is entirely irrelevant. But do you think kids turn down Tan Tom, Pop, Flynn, Borrelli, etc., because they weren't NCAA champs? Or prefer Davis and McCoy because they were NCAA champs and Olympians?

Goodale has been there long enough that his past does not matter at all. Who he lands is on him, and to degree on the school (and its historical inability to retain NJ athletes in most sports).

Agreed on the NCAA champ part, Iowa state champ is entirely irrelevant. But do you think kids turn down Tan Tom, Pop, Flynn, Borrelli, etc., because they weren't NCAA champs? Or prefer Davis and McCoy because they were NCAA champs and Olympians?

Goodale has been there long enough that his past does not matter at all. Who he lands is on him, and to degree on the school (and its historical inability to retain NJ athletes in most sports).

But the guys you mention have had real success at the collegiate level as coaches, which Goodale hasn't. So the whole package is lacking.

According to Goodale, he's already gotten Rutgers to where they need to be. From a 2016 interview:

“I hate hearing that we’re ‘going in the right direction,’” Goodale said. “We’re here already. We’re good enough to compete with everybody. The hard part is now we have to sustain it.”
Before losing the match they were very competitive with Lock Haven

Reactions: Ja1339
Ashnault was 15-3 while wrestling unattached his Fr year. If he can get an extra year from that Cortez should get 7 years. 1 for the year the Big-10 made him sit out ... an arbitrary rule as we now know ... another for the 2 partial seasons he was injured.

Ashnault is still waiting to hear if he got his medical redshirt. He is doing well now but I don't believe he has been cleared to wrestle yet.

Since RU as a team was able to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat and won the best team in NJ award....

Goodale could be nominated for the "done amazing leadership" award?

But the guys you mention have had real success at the collegiate level as coaches, which Goodale hasn't. So the whole package is lacking.
That is EXACTLY my point. Whatever perceived shortcomings in his background, plenty of other coaches have overcome. Therefore his background is irrelevant. Whether is he good enough or not, is entirely based upon how he has performed at Rutgers.

That is EXACTLY my point. Whatever perceived shortcomings in his background, plenty of other coaches have overcome. Therefore his background is irrelevant. Whether is he good enough or not, is entirely based upon how he has performed at Rutgers.

I mostly agree. If he had a better resume as a wrestler, you might think (regardless of how erroneously) he could get you on the podium. But you are correct, his being stuck in the 15-20 range as a coach in "good" years and in the 30s in off years for so long sort of indicates what he really is. That and his ridiculous claims about the program combine to paint a picture of a Rex Ryan-like figure. And I knew plenty of Jets fans who were drinking the Ryan kool aid.

A Goodale acolyte on the Scarlet board will say he hasn't had the support of the school previously and that now that he is fully funded the results will surely follow, but the results since he has been funded, including this year, bely that. I agree with Johnny Handsome that they need a new coach and he might be under Rutgers' nose. Maybe next year, when it's highly possible the wheels will come off the cart with the losses of their seniors, people will get a more accurate reading on Goodale and make a move to Pritzlaff - because I think he is the one who is really responsible for whatever progress the program has seen. That hiring was the best thing Goodale has done at Rutgers, imo.

I mostly agree. If he had a better resume as a wrestler, you might think (regardless of how erroneously) he could get you on the podium. But you are correct, his being stuck in the 15-20 range as a coach in "good" years and in the 30s in off years for so long sort of indicates what he really is. That and his ridiculous claims about the program combine to paint a picture of a Rex Ryan-like figure. And I knew plenty of Jets fans who were drinking the Ryan kool aid.

A Goodale acolyte on the Scarlet board will say he hasn't had the support of the school previously and that now that he is fully funded the results will surely follow, but the results since he has been funded, including this year, bely that. I agree with Johnny Handsome that they need a new coach and he might be under Rutgers' nose. Maybe next year, when it's highly possible the wheels will come off the cart with the losses of their seniors, people will get a more accurate reading on Goodale and make a move to Pritzlaff - because I think he is the one who is really responsible for whatever progress the program has seen. That hiring was the best thing Goodale has done at Rutgers, imo.
I think they have a point about school support -- but it's not the one they think.

New Jersey has been picked clean by outside programs in every sport for decades. New Jersey, whose state pride is matched only by Texas. There's gotta be a reason they all leave home, and Goodale isn't the reason for all the other sports.

So I'm skeptical that a new wrestling coach will get them where they should be. Some improvement, sure. But there's deeper rot. Kinda like Pitt.

So I'm skeptical that a new wrestling coach will get them where they should be. Some improvement, sure. But there's deeper rot. Kinda like Pitt.
Imagine if Burroughs decided to "come home" to coach, and took the Rutgers job. I realize that at this point he has no coaching experience, and has little knowledge of being the CEO of a D1 wrestling program, but I think that someone like him could certainly keep more kids in the state, as well as pull in kids from out of state. For all we know though, he may be waiting for Manning to step down. Just an example.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT