ADVERTISEMENT

Suriano still out?

giphy.gif

Yes, we're starting to get the inside story behind the Surianos wanting to be big fish in a small pond.
Is this Rutrgres small pond? I see Lewis and DeLuca. Is that the Penn State NJ Transfer in the middle? I will still cheap any of them beating any of the Bucknuts at NCAAs.

fish_puddleB.jpg

That’s not where I heard it. My source wasn’t a message board. It’s from someone with a family member in the Rutgers program

And all I was told was a staph infection. No more details
you need a better source(if you actually have 1)

Interesting thread :confused:. We have;
"My sources tell me Nick may miss more than he already has"
"He's having a hard time making weight right now. Team told him to sit out last 3 weeks to get it situated. Will give it a go at big 10's"
"Suriano should have no issue being ready for the postseason"
"I’m betting my money that we see Suriano at 133 in the post-season."
"Not happening"
"I have heard that NS has Staph in 1 or both knees--not confirmed complete rumor"
"Just got word on Rutgers forum NS out"
"I posted earlier this week that NS is questionable to finish the season... dont know what the reason is but comes from good source"
"Nick will be fine come B1G Tournament. He was training today. See you in East Lansing."
"Just heard from a second source I trust that Nick's absence of late points again back to the father's helicopter parenting. I have no further details, but do trust the source a lot (and you would too). TIFWIW...."
"I did not get specifics, but the insinuation was a rift between Mr. S and the coaching staff."
"And all I was told was a staph infection. No more details"

All are public, and in this thread...with credit to those that posted.

Not sure about anyone else, I'm waiting till Saturday morning, a week from tomorrow to see if Nick is wrestling. I hope so.

Jeez, since 2/17/17 when he was injured at Ok State, Suriano has basically owned message boards...
1. Suriano injured
2. Will he wrestle at Bigs? Nationals?
3. Cael knew he wouldn’t wrestle and pulled a stunt.
3. Cruiseliner rumor
4. Transfer confirmed
5. Repeat #1 and 2...

To be fair... I never claimed to have any inside info or knowledge of any type about him moving up (my money on him going up to 33). I later explained as much. Purely connecting dots while thinking out loud.

Just to be clear on my take of what I shared yesterday--if there is some sort of spat between the family and the coaches, it would seem to me more likely Nick competes in the post season--just from a perspective of getting him to one in the first half of his career, it sure would seem nutty if they let pride get in the way of that. But it's only speculation--as Roar pointed out, we'll know soon enough (though the backstory will probably never be fully public).

But they have the reputation of a perennial top 5 program to uphold :)

With the braggadocio coming from RU and the chatter about them being a perennial top 5 or top top 10 team, I assumed they had a history of wrestling success that I just wasn’t aware of. Nope. Got to looking at the historical team results at the link below. Of the 39 times they’ve scored team points in the NCAAs their best finish was 15th. That happened once (2016) and they did worse the next year.

Interesting to note the schools on the list with stronger wrestling credentials, many of whom have shut down their programs. No, I’m not suggesting Rutgers should shut down their program or that they won’t do well in the future. They obviously have some solid building blocks to work with at present. Just noting the apparent disconnect between their current attitude, expectations, and pending facility upgrades vis-a-vis past performance.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/wrestling_champs_records/2017-18/D1.pdf

Reactions: Ja1339
With the braggadocio coming from RU and the chatter about them being a perennial top 5 or top top 10 team, I assumed they had a history of wrestling success that I just wasn’t aware of. Nope. Got to looking at the historical team results at the link below. Of the 39 times they’ve scored team points in the NCAAs their best finish was 15th. That happened once (2016) and they did worse the next year.

Interesting to note the schools on the list with stronger wrestling credentials, many of whom have shut down their programs. No, I’m not suggesting Rutgers should shut down their program or that they won’t do well in the future. They obviously have some solid building blocks to work with at present. Just noting the apparent disconnect between their current attitude, expectations, and pending facility upgrades vis-a-vis past performance.

But, but, but I read on their board with the addition of a wrestler the caliber of Nick it was a guarantee. Especially since they were always just one or two wrestlers the caliber of Nick from actually being a top 5 program.

I really think Goodale and Pritzloff should work something out with Cael that all Rutgers recruits spend their first year redshirting while they go to school at Penn State and train with the Penn State kids. Rutgers has some tough kids, they just need to learn to wrestle.

Think about it. Penn State takes them and teaches and trains them for a whole year, then Penn State signs a NCAA transfer waiver allowing the kid to transfer back to Rutgers. Easy peasy. It isn't like the Big10 would have an issue with this arrangement.

One or two years and Rutgers would probably have enough Penn State trained RS freshmen and sophomores in the lineup they could possibly beat Lock Haven.

Last edited:
Well at least if it was planned it would eliminate the drama, and the iceland posts.

They obviously have some solid building blocks to work with at present. Just noting the apparent disconnect between their current attitude, expectations, and pending facility upgrades vis-a-vis past performance.

I'm not sure what those building blocks might be, Delvecchio, Deluca, Ashnault, Lewis and Messner are all seniors. Apparently Gravina returns as a 6th year Sr ... as yet he hasn't made the podium. In recruiting, Janzer is the only kid ranked in the top-5 at his weight ... 3rd behind Brooks.

Rutgers fans who thought Suriano would be the start of something big are as clueless as those who thought Rutgers was ever something big in wrestling.

what are the "insiders" saying on the RU board?

they loved to tell all they knew in the summer, so Im sure they got info on an "injury" they can release......

Reactions: NittanyLion84
what are the "insiders" saying on the RU board?

they loved to tell all they knew in the summer, so Im sure they got info on an "injury" they can release......
They say all of the rumors are coming from here, and we all think karma is causing whatever the issue is.

Sheesh guys. We need some wrestling matches and soon. If Suriano can’t wrestle it completely sucks for him health and competition-wise. Never mind that you’d think you guys would want him in the tourney as it stands a reasonable chance of pushing NATO down a step.

Whatever his circumstances for transfer....who cares. He’s 19. 40 year olds change jobs and move...sometimes from what look like great situations to something else. So what?

Sheesh guys. We need some wrestling matches and soon. If Suriano can’t wrestle it completely sucks for him health and competition-wise. Never mind that you’d think you guys would want him in the tourney as it stands a reasonable chance of pushing NATO down a step.

Whatever his circumstances for transfer....who cares. He’s 19. 40 year olds change jobs and move...sometimes from what look like great situations to something else. So what?
I do hope he is healthy and wrestles, finishing ahead of Tomasello.

That does not mean I have to have any fondness in my heart for Goodale, Pritzloff, or Rutgers. I think they were dirty as hell in the whole thing.

First of all I do want him in to take points from tOSU.

Secondly, I agree we need to move past it, plus I never wish ill health or injury on anyone.

But, with regards to the comment about moving jobs. If you had signed a non-compete you would abide by it. How he left and the fact that other wrestlers, like Cortez, manned up and sat a year, versus him complaining to the Big Ten, is what annoys me.

But, like you said, we need to move past it.

I think we all understand that. I think what most of us did not like is Suriano taking pot shots going out the door, and 40 year olds do that too. I would have had more respect for him if he had just said central PA is not for me, plenty of kids have transferred to be closer to home.

No doubt him competing could possibly help PSU in the team title race.

While the Jerz tough guy schtick doesn't resonate much, I still really enjoy watching NS wrestle. He's really good. Hope he is able to compete.

I will never root for him, even against NATO. After hearing his interviews after leaving, so glad he left. PSU could have focused more on Lee if Suriano was never a possibility for PSU.

That's the one thing I think about. I've seen Spencer wrestle a ton and always liked the way he comes off in interviews as well. He's a good fit anywhere really........As for NS. I really hope he's able to go 100% for his own sake. The kid seems really wound tight. Other than that, he's elsewhere now, and I'm tired of hearing about him. I peak on this thread from time to time because I'm planning a European vacation this summer and hoping to pick up some AirBNB tips.

So you would root against PSU's best interests out of spite?

I'll never understand this mentality.

Nah. I have faith that Nolf will be back and I feel more comfortable with our guys to score more points than the buckeyes for NCAA’s. Even if Nato beats Nick and wins a title, I still feel confident with our guys to win the team title. And that’s coming from a pessimist person.

Regardless what I think the best man is going to win anyway. Now if they saved 125 for the last match and the finals was Suriano vs Nato, and tOSU needed a win for the team title, then for only that one match I would root for Nick.

Ashnault will prob come back and he is a good wrestler

I'm not sure what those building blocks might be, Delvecchio, Deluca, Ashnault, Lewis and Messner are all seniors. Apparently Gravina returns as a 6th year Sr ... as yet he hasn't made the podium. In recruiting, Janzer is the only kid ranked in the top-5 at his weight ... 3rd behind Brooks.

Rutgers fans who thought Suriano would be the start of something big are as clueless as those who thought Rutgers was ever something big in wrestling.

I will never root for him, even against NATO. After hearing his interviews after leaving, so glad he left. PSU could have focused more on Lee if Suriano was never a possibility for PSU.

Agree 100% on the statements made, also agree that we may have been able to focus on Spencer if we had known about what was going to happen. I will have to pull for NS though in the event he comes up against anyone that could help us win another team title. Could be just bad luck for NS on the injuries/illness and not the way a particular training staff handles said injury/illness.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Agree 100% on the statements made, also agree that we may have been able to focus on Spencer if we had known about what was going to happen. I will have to pull for NS though in the event he comes up against anyone that could help us win another team title. Could be just bad luck for NS on the injuries/illness and not the way a particular training staff handles said injury/illness.

Hard to figure Cael or any other coach not making a strong bid for Spencer Lee, with or without NS on the roster. I mean, think of those 2 as 125 & 133 unless both refused to move up

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT