ADVERTISEMENT

That call…

The replay officials already told the refs it was fourth down
They obviously didn’t have enough time to review the series and realize the mistake…in the 10 seconds they had, I’m sure they looked and the last play and saw that the marker said third down.

Even if we called a TO to get the right down, we lose the TO right? Probably worth it.

The conspiracy theories are ridiculous. “Their minds were made up to cheat”. No, they screwed up and things were moving to quickly to realize the screw up. People here really think the refs realized it was 3rd down, but wanted to try and screw us intentionally even if they came out of it looking like idiots?

Franklin calls timeout there, and it forces them to take the time to review the entire sequence and realize the mistake.
Your devil's advocate theory is what's ridiculous. Ask 5 people a question, get the same answer from all 5, then cry and hope they change their minds? Don't be silly.

• Haha
Reactions: BBrown
The sideline did go crazy. Franklin yelled at each official saying it was 3rd down. They all refused and apparently said they checked with replay and it was 4th down. At that point there’s not much a coach can do.

If he complains after the game he gets fined but what happens to the officials who all let this happen? Do they get suspended or fired? It’ll be interesting to hear what discipline (if any) the SEC hands out to them this week.
If anything the replay official should be fired because he has ABSOLUTLY no excuse for getting that wrong. The on field guys maybe got confused, but is something that should be easy to correct with replay. The fact that idiot agreed it was 4th is inexcusable and he should NEVER officiate another game again.

Franklin addressed this in his post game PC. He asked every ref on the field and they all said it was 4th down. They sent it to the replay guys who also said it was 4th down. There was nothing left to do at that point. People need to stop blaming CJF for this. He did everything he could.

They obviously didn’t have enough time to review the series and realize the mistake…in the 10 seconds they had, I’m sure they looked and the last play and saw that the marker said third down.
So you are suggesting a coach is told by six refs it is fourth down. The sideline guy says it is fourth down. He complains and then is told the replay both confirmed is it’s fourth down. And he should have burned a time out to ‘strenuously object’?

Yup. We get that shit too.
Ever get a penalty for crowd noise? We got one vs Michigan because they couldn't hear the QB calling signals. Further, the crowd was told they would continue to get flags if the noise continued.

So you are suggesting a coach is told by six refs it is fourth down. The sideline guy says it is fourth down. He complains and then is told the replay both confirmed is it’s fourth down. And he should have burned a time out to ‘strenuously object’?
He could have called the timeout to force them to formally review it. Make them actually review the entire sequence of plays. Spend more than 10 seconds on it to realize their mistake. Yes, that’s exactly what I’m suggesting.

As I said, it’s hard to fault Franklin since it’s so unusual and happened quickly…but had we called timeout and challenged, we almost certainly would have won it.

Ever get a penalty for crowd noise? We got one vs Michigan because they couldn't hear the QB calling signals.
Don’t take the bait. He is trying to dismiss it all as some kind of “it happens to everyone.” And this from a fan who just benefited from multiple (5-6) very bad calls - including one that probably did not even happen in pee wee football this weekend.

And all if this a happened in OUR STADIUM.

As bad as we have gotten jobbed by the BIg10 since 1993, this has all ramped up since 2011. I highly doubt it is just a coincidence.

He could have called the timeout to force them to formally review it. Make them actually review the entire sequence of plays. Spend more than 10 seconds on it to realize their mistake. Yes, that’s exactly what I’m suggesting.

As I said, it’s hard to fault Franklin since it’s so unusual and happened quickly…but had we called timeout and challenged, we almost certainly would have won it.
He "could have", I agree. Let's also not forget it was 3rd and 11 (or close). The more egregious and damaging call was the intentional grounding on first down. It is just as likely that the ref would look at CJF and say "asked and answered." You then have an issue where you are distracting the kids which is never good.

-gY1L6.gif

Reactions: BBrown
Don’t take the bait. He is trying to dismiss it all as some kind of “it happens to everyone.” And this from a fan who just benefited from multiple (5-6) very bad calls - including one that probably did not even happen in pee wee football this weekend.

And all if this a happened in OUR STADIUM.

As bad as we have gotten jobbed by the BIg10 since 1993, this has all ramped up since 2011. I highly doubt it is just a coincidence.

If it were all simple incompetence, then the laws of probability say we would benefit from the "mistakes" as often as be hurt by them.

But when incompetence appears to run overwhelmingly in one direction only, the more accurate word for it is "bias."

Though the SEC refs embarrassed their league in primetime, they did call an honest game at the end...the non-call on pass interference in the end zone, the near safety, the defensive pass interference against Dotson...all critical plays called correctly.

For some reason, I'm more bothered by the performance of our own conference's refs. The SEC guys may be biased in favor of their league. But the Big Suck guys are biased against Penn State.

Reactions: Option Bob
The sideline did go crazy. Franklin yelled at each official saying it was 3rd down. They all refused and apparently said they checked with replay and it was 4th down. At that point there’s not much a coach can do.

If he complains after the game he gets fined but what happens to the officials who all let this happen? Do they get suspended or fired? It’ll be interesting to hear what discipline (if any) the SEC hands out to them this week.
And it wasn't just that epic blunder. They were horrible all night long. I thought for a minute Whitovet and Honig were back.:mad:

The conspiracy theories are ridiculous. “Their minds were made up to cheat”. No, they screwed up and things were moving too quickly to realize the screw up. People here really think the refs realized it was 3rd down, but wanted to try and screw us intentionally even if they came out of it looking like idiots?

Franklin calls timeout there, and it forces them to take the time to review the entire sequence and realize the mistake.
There was already a "Media" Time out. No need to call another one when they refused to check.

Thats entirely possible. There was a lot of confusion in the stands and on the radio. I haven't seen a TV replay yet.
It was after the punt. And when they came back from the tv TO they ran through the play sequence proving they screwed up. But once another play is run they will never go back.

If the SEC is so great, and they know they are great, why would they feel the need to conspire to cheat? I think the refs incompetent to a degree, but doubt there was anything sinister happening.

If it were all simple incompetence, then the laws of probability say we would benefit from the "mistakes" as often as be hurt by them.

But when incompetence appears to run overwhelmingly in one direction only, the more accurate word for it is "bias."

Though the SEC refs embarrassed their league in primetime, they did call an honest game at the end...the non-call on pass interference in the end zone, the near safety, the defensive pass interference against Dotson...all critical plays called correctly.

For some reason, I'm more bothered by the performance of our own conference's refs. The SEC guys may be biased in favor of their league. But the Big Suck guys are biased against Penn State.
Nobody every takes into account the t factor. Remember Nebraska 1982?

If the SEC is so great, and they know they are great, why would they feel the need to conspire to cheat? I think the refs incompetent to a degree, but doubt there was anything sinister happening.

I think there's a difference between outright purposeful "cheating," which is rare, and ingrained bias that influences snap judgments at key times, which is not nearly so rare.

Bias inclines your brain to prefer a certain outcome...and so, unsurprisingly, you decide in favor of that outcome even while insisting you're being entirely impartial. It's a common psychological phenomenon.

Reactions: KnightWhoSaysNit

What happens if you need timeouts late in the game? Then there would have been a 5 day thread criticizing Franklin for burning his timeouts.

The funny thing is, it's not as bad as when big ten refs stop calling offensive holding and defensive pass interference on the likes of OSU or MI or whomever they want to help win. Easiest way to control the game is to stop calling penalties. No lead is ever big enough.
Remember the season a few years ago when OSU didn't have a single offensive holding call during conference play for an entire season? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Calling a timeout and challenging it would have almost certainly ended with us winning it.
Debatable. They've been saying replay looked at it. The theory is that replay only looked one play prior to the punt which was supposed to be 2nd down, but the sideline marker had it as 3rd down, hence the reason replay incorrectly agreed it was 4th down. I don't think replay can look back more than 1 play. Once the subsequent play takes place, replay generally is no longer an option but this is obviously a unique situation.

Ever get a penalty for crowd noise? We got one vs Michigan because they couldn't hear the QB calling signals. Further, the crowd was told they would continue to get flags if the noise continued.
We lost a timeout for that crowd noise example, didn't get a penalty. Still ridiculous though.

Nobody every takes into account the t factor. Remember Nebraska 1982?

I remember it with great fondness. And also Alabama 1983 when our friendly zebras took the winning TD away from the Tide due to phantom "juggling" of a pass apparently caught in the end zone.

Oh for the days when we used to get those calls. Why oh why did Joe forsake that for the honor of membership in the Big Suck.

CJF cannot force the officials to do anything. He could take a TO and hope they review it and change their mind. Would replay be willing to look back more than one play after already telling the on field officials that the down was correct? Who knows. Are you willing to risk a TO for that? It's subjective, but I don't blame CJF for not doing so after being told by many officials that they already looked at replay and it was 4th down.

Blaming CJF for a monumental screw up by the officials is the most ridiculous take I've seen of this whole scenario. The officials f'd up, big time, and multiple times on that same possession since the grounding call was complete BS too. End of story.

What happens if you need timeouts late in the game? Then there would have been a 5 day thread criticizing Franklin for burning his timeouts.
This place never ceases to amaze me. We want the QB sneak under center. It works all the time!......it doesn't work....QB had the wrong stance! LOL
James is terrible on time and clock management....take a time out ....it will be given back anyway.....Who will give it back? The officials who were in a conspiracy with the SEC! You can't make this shit up!

Reactions: psu_et_vt
Hey @Kellerdog.....

Looking to head to Auburn next year for the return visit - thoughts on where to stay, etc? A quick glance at a couple of travel websites indicates nothing within Auburn, and the nearest town with any reasonable hotels is in Columbus GA.

Thoughts? Help out your northern brother. ;)

Reactions: Kellerdog
Debatable. They've been saying replay looked at it. The theory is that replay only looked one play prior to the punt which was supposed to be 2nd down, but the sideline marker had it as 3rd down, hence the reason replay incorrectly agreed it was 4th down. I don't think replay can look back more than 1 play. Once the subsequent play takes place, replay generally is no longer an option but this is obviously a unique situation.
In that sequence, replay can look back further.

Although, I'm begging to think that this might have been reviewable even after the punt, during the timeout, before Auburn ran a play. The rule book and case book don't cover the exact scenario or how to "undo" the punt, but mention that downs can be fixed if it is found before the next series begins. I have a question out to someone to confirm.

CJF cannot force the officials to do anything. He could take a TO and hope they review it and change their mind. Would replay be willing to look back more than one play after already telling the on field officials that the down was correct? Who knows. Are you willing to risk a TO for that? It's subjective, but I don't blame CJF for not doing so after being told by many officials that they already looked at replay and it was 4th down.

Blaming CJF for a monumental screw up by the officials is the most ridiculous take I've seen of this whole scenario. The officials f'd up, big time, and multiple times on that same possession since the grounding call was complete BS too. End of story.
James took it as far as he could....he had no guarantee he would get redress or his time out back.....had he protested more, he might have been given an unsportsmanlike. Risk -reward.....how much was a lost down worth?
No more at that point in the game than how Coach addressed it!

Reactions: WaylonJ and BBrown

By challenging the play, you're basically "forcing" them to review the sequence again. Running it back to the first down play would have made it obvious that they screwed up. In hindsight, yes, I'd be willing to risk a timeout for that. But at the time, I probably would have thought that I was crazy and messed up the downs myself since everyone else was telling me it's 4th (it didn't occur to me at all at the time what happened, but I'm sure that our coaches were paying closer attention to the series than I was).

Sure, it's tough to blame Franklin for the refs screwing it up so badly...however, taking a timeout there would have most likely resulted in a 3rd and 11 for us. Luckily, we hit a nice punt and pinned them deep, so it might not have hurt us too much in the end.

By challenging the play, you're basically "forcing" them to review the sequence again. Running it back to the first down play would have made it obvious that they screwed up.

Sure, it's tough to blame Franklin for the refs screwing it up so badly...however, taking a timeout there would have most likely resulted in a 3rd and 11 for us. Luckily, we hit a nice punt and pinned them deep, so it might not have hurt us too much in the end.
Wasn't Coach told that it had already been reviewed in the booth and confirmed?

Reactions: PsuFsuBri36
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT