ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2023 Transfer Portal news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im new to posting here so forgive me if I missed something, but why are so many people so convinced that Howard is the answer at 125? So much so to say that not getting a top level 125 guy isnt necessary. I get that Howard is talented but he has been injured with BAD injuries the last few years going back to HS. With shoulders in wresting it means there is a good chance he gets hurt at some point again, not to mention that he has missed all that training time dealing with the surgeries and the follow up rehab so who know how much he as progressed over the last few years.
No one is convinced of anything given his injury history. What we see is that he’s working as hard as he can to get back and even if he doesn’t, PSU just showed they can win without any points from 125. I think they’ll look for a long term answer in recruiting (Gibson or Lilledahl maybe) and won’t seek a temporary transfer, unless that person comes to Cael intent on coming no matter what like Dean.

Im new to posting here so forgive me if I missed something, but why are so many people so convinced that Howard is the answer at 125? So much so to say that not getting a top level 125 guy isnt necessary. I get that Howard is talented but he has been injured with BAD injuries the last few years going back to HS. With shoulders in wresting it means there is a good chance he gets hurt at some point again, not to mention that he has missed all that training time dealing with the surgeries and the follow up rehab so who know how much he as progressed over the last few years.
It's more about how we allocate our resources. If we had unlimited scholarships to give, sure why not? But with 9.9 scholarships, 2 returning champs, returning AAs at 141, 149, 157, 285, elite recruits like Barr, Kasak, Sealey, Ryder, and the Mirasolas, we have to wisely manage our resources. We have an injured stud at 125 with some holes to fill at 133 and 184 or 197. So who would you rather have and in what order? Nagao, Truax, then DeAugastino? Or maybe Truax, Nagao, then DeAugastino? But it's definitely not DeAugastino 1st. I think that's all most of us are really saying. Most are saying Nagao would be the number 1 get in the portal right now. I'm sure an elite potential 125 is at the top of the coaches hit list.

It's more about how we allocate our resources. If we had unlimited scholarships to give, sure why not? But with 9.9 scholarships, 2 returning champs, returning AAs at 141, 149, 157, 285, elite recruits like Barr, Kasak, Sealey, Ryder, and the Mirasolas, we have to wisely manage our resources. We have an injured stud at 125 with some holes to fill at 133 and 184 or 197. So who would you rather have and in what order? Nagao, Truax, then DeAugastino? Or maybe Truax, Nagao, then DeAugastino? But it's definitely not DeAugastino 1st. I think that's all most of us are really saying. Most are saying Nagao would be the number 1 get in the portal right now. I'm sure an elite potential 125 is at the top of the coaches hit list.
Nagao
Truax
D'Augastino

Reactions: goldenanimal
Just general update on actual transfers:
Truax - Visited Iowa and I believe Arizona State. Still has Penn State (next weekend for BW) and Iowa State. I would be shocked if he doesn't take a 5th official and fully expect one of Michigan or Ohio State (or both) to enter the picture here as they both have a need.

Nagao - a poster on HR from Los Angeles (and knows his dad and former BJJ coach) says he is in contact with PSU, Iowa and will visit both in addition to Cornell. Would make sense to invite him here for Blue White. Similar to Truax, I wouldn't be shocked if other schools kick the tires. Don't think Ohio State since they're set in lowerweights but you never know) but definitely expect Michigan and other teams as well.

Mesenbrink - Last I checked, he is interested in Ohio State, Penn State, Cornell, Missouri. No information on his visits but wouldn't be shocked if Cael wants him here for BW

DeAugustino - no information at all but would make sense to kick the tires but who knows the scholarship situation or what Cael is thinking
Nagao was on Bashamania podcast, dropped today. He said he is looking at PSU, Cornell and Iowa. Also a possibility he stays at Minnesota. Decision time is by the end of April.

Nagao was on Bashamania podcast, dropped today. He said he is looking at PSU, Cornell and Iowa. Also a possibility he stays at Minnesota. Decision time is by the end of April.
I was wondering why we all left MInny out of the equation. Not an easy decision to pickup and move on. Still hopeful.

Reactions: 1AA
Just general update on actual transfers:
Truax - Visited Iowa and I believe Arizona State. Still has Penn State (next weekend for BW) and Iowa State. I would be shocked if he doesn't take a 5th official and fully expect one of Michigan or Ohio State (or both) to enter the picture here as they both have a need.

Nagao - a poster on HR from Los Angeles (and knows his dad and former BJJ coach) says he is in contact with PSU, Iowa and will visit both in addition to Cornell. Would make sense to invite him here for Blue White. Similar to Truax, I wouldn't be shocked if other schools kick the tires. Don't think Ohio State since they're set in lowerweights but you never know) but definitely expect Michigan and other teams as well.

Mesenbrink - Last I checked, he is interested in Ohio State, Penn State, Cornell, Missouri. No information on his visits but wouldn't be shocked if Cael wants him here for BW

DeAugustino - no information at all but would make sense to kick the tires but who knows the scholarship situation or what Cael is thinking
Curious how Nagao might think he would fit into Cornell's 2023-24 lineup of Ungar/Vito/Cornella, and how Mesenbrink thinks he might fit into the Ramirez/Foca lineup.

Congrats for your 1st post! You generated some very well reasoned responses (even from @82bordeaux ). And Happy Easter!

Curious how Nagao might think he would fit into Cornell's 2023-24 lineup of Ungar/Vito/Cornella, and how Mesenbrink thinks he might fit into the Ramirez/Foca lineup.
I can't imagine how difficult it must be to successfully transfer into Cornell period. If you can clear that hurdle, the wrestling is the easy part.

Listening the podcast.Nageo seemed like a really good kid,, strong faith and level headed. .After listening to him, he would fit into the PS culture easily as well as be a great fit at 133 as well. Love it if he chose PS.

Howard healthy would absolutely have been the answer. He showed a fantastic skillset in HS and his first year at PSU (keep in mind he basically had 1.5 month of mat time that year after getting over shoulder surgery and then getting COVID) He beat Ragusin and dominated Shawver and figured out Heinselman on the third try. He was right there with AA level guys like DeAugustino, Barnett, Lamont. Like for a true freshman? Fantastic but then unfortunately he got his shoulder ripped apart by McKee. I was confident he would be able to recover and have a strong free season but he definitely looked rusty coming back (losing to Spratley and Volk handily) so it was clear the injury stunted his development but then he got hurt again and who knows where he is now.

Shoulders are tricky and Robbie has missed a ton of development opportunities bottom line. The prayer is he can be like a Cassar who basically had a similar situation (missed 2 years of mat time after a shoulder injury but came back healthy for 2 years, one year he wasn't the starter but obviously beat Kollin Moore then was the champ next year at Heavyweight) Everyone is rooting for Robbie, he loves Penn State (he never let's our guys get ragged on Twitter) and his desire to be good is strong. But 125 has been frustrating overall and it's a weight that is wide open and we haven't picked up points there in 7 years basically. So I think some people outright saying Robbie won't be healthy will be wrong (and it is absolutely wrong to take bets on he will get hurt, cough cough), but IMO it is a fair discussion point (especially on a message board) to discuss if there could be insurance options, especially if a former AA is available and interested.
To add to this comment about Robbie and his injury situation. His shoulder was an issue his Senior year in High School. If I recall he lost to Crookham who was a Sophomore at the time. Crookham appeared to be stronger than him which was concerning to me.

I think it’s more about how we are all rooting for Robbie. He’s done nothing but stay positive, be supportive and we think he’s good for PSU wrestling and want to see him succeed. Maybe it’d be different if the team wasn’t winning by 50 without him, but with that luxury we all want to see him get the starting job.
Not to mention he has had plenty of time to heal and get stronger. In my opinion the longer he waits to come back the better in regards to strength and conditioning and I find it hard to believe that Cael doesn't have him on some sort of routine

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
To add to this comment about Robbie and his injury situation. His shoulder was an issue his Senior year in High School. If I recall he lost to Crookham who was a Sophomore at the time. Crookham appeared to be stronger than him which was concerning to me.
I'd be wary about drawing any conclusions about Howard's strength today based upon that match.

Howard rushed his return back from injury for his SR year. The Cookham loss (3-2) was in the Beast Of the East semis, after re-injuring the shoulder in an earlier round. He then defaulted out and wrestled only 2 more regular season matches.

So, yeah, Crookham should've been stronger -- Howard wrestled him with 1 arm. Also Crookham is known to be a weight room rat.

Big OUCH for Stanford if true.
Absolutely. I wonder how many kids from Stanford will enter the portal or decommit if he does leave? They have a couple really good classes coming in (Zach Hanson, Aden Valencia, Grigor Cholakyan) and had a few big recruits last year as well (Daniel Cardenas and Hunter Garvin)

Absolutely. I wonder how many kids from Stanford will enter the portal or decommit if he does leave? They have a couple really good classes coming in (Zach Hanson, Aden Valencia, Grigor Cholakyan) and had a few big recruits last year as well (Daniel Cardenas and Hunter Garvin)
If that happens keep an eye on Valencia to Iowa. Fills a need and his sister is there on the women's team.

Reactions: Sullivan

A Stanford degree is a golden ticket; while I understand that wrestling is important to all of these kids, a Stanford to Oklahoma transfer (if they follow Koll) is likely a massive multi-generational wealth transfer in the wrong direction.

If that happens keep an eye on Valencia to Iowa. Fills a need and his sister is there on the women's team.
Koll is staying per Seth Duckworth (Oklahoma guy) Also Aden is from the Bay Area and obviously is prioritizing education.

Reactions: js8793
@surf2live808 - Nice! I’ll be in the 808 in 2 days. Going to Hawaii (Maui) in 2 days - first time in Hawaii. Not a surfer, but have followed the sport for decades

Favorite surfer - Rob Machado
Have fun Weather should be good and Maui has lots to do. Go get a surf lesson, Ive heard of lots of fun empty waves on the East coast for when you get back home.

@surf2live808 - Nice! I’ll be in the 808 in 2 days. Going to Hawaii (Maui) in 2 days - first time in Hawaii. Not a surfer, but have followed the sport for decades

Do the maui gold plantation tour and eat all the pineapple you can, bro! Road to Hana juice ain’t worth the squeeze in my opinion. Trip up around the northwest part instead.

Do the maui gold plantation tour and eat all the pineapple you can, bro! Road to Hana juice ain’t worth the squeeze in my opinion. Trip up around the northwest part instead.
Hana is 100% not worth it unless you are going to stay the night over there. Im not sure if the little inns on that side are even around after covid, but to take that drive just for the day is a waste of time IMHO

First time Maui? I am envious. My favorite place on earth!!!! Enjoy

1). Do a snorkel/turtle town trip, it's definitely worth the 1/2 day if you have never done one. Probably too late in the year for any whales.

2). My favorite pizza anywhere, is in Maui - Flat bread pizza, somewhat near the airport on the Hana Highway, The family and I ran into Owen a Wilson there, and got a picture of his left ear. A story for another time. We always go there usually for lunch before we depart. Farm to fork, everything the salads, sauce and cheese come from farms within 10 miles of the place. Very fresh.

3). If you golf my 2nd favorite Hawaii course (Kapalua Plantation course). The Pros play there every January so you have that benefit if you watch.

4). If you drive the road to Hana it's more than a full day say 12 hours if you stop frequently ( red sand beach, black sand beach, painted ucalyptus trees, many vistas and waterfalls on the way, a blow hole, and the seven sisters at the very end (7 waterfalls on a couple of mile hike up the mountain). I proposed to my wife at waterfall #5, further up it's a really cool bamboo forest ( take bug spray) the waterfall #7 that you can swim up to. Make sure your car has had for the return to because every thing closes on the way back at dark. Not a good drive for the car sick type - hours of back and forth switchbacks on the mountainside. Definitely worth doing once, but you need to know what you are in for. I would say if you are on the island for 8 days or more it is worth it to go one time, if a short trip it just takes too much time.

5) The food is incredible pretty much everywhere, especially if you like seafood. In order of price and to some extent quality - Mamma's fish house, also on the early part of the Hana Highway (it's been years for me as it is just too expensive, but if you can spend the money definitely a must go if only once). It's on the beach cosy atmosphere. Roy's is outstanding. Kimos in Lahaina is a must, Dukes Beach House is great, ... And there are dosens more

6) The Lahaina and Wailea sides of the island are somewhat worlds appart with not much other than an aquarium in-between and you can go back and forth, but its an hour drive with light traffic, heavy traffic is worse. Most people will cross once it twice at most within a week. Wailea has the best weather and is more expensive but there is less to do. Lahaina has more activities, restaurants and shops, and slightly less expensive. Correct that - all of Maui is expensive. Spend over your budget and enjoy yourself, it's worth it, then save up when you get home.

6). Relax by the pool, on the beach, or in ahammok, and take in a nice Vince Flynn novel, decompress. I would not suggest running around the island just to see everything. Sure helicopter tours and a morning sunrise at the peak of the volcano, bike decents down the volcano are popular attractions, but if you don't get enough time to just relax and enjoy a little bit of nothing then you miss it on the peace the island can provide.

If you are into snorkeling in your own I know of one secret place where you will see many turtles...

Reactions: nitlion6
Hana is 100% not worth it unless you are going to stay the night over there. Im not sure if the little inns on that side are even around after covid, but to take that drive just for the day is a waste of time IMHO
Takes a transfer portal thread and turns it into a surfing thread. Are you sure you're new around here??? Nice work.

giphy.gif

First time Maui? I am envious. My favorite place on earth!!!! Enjoy

1). Do a snorkel/turtle town trip, it's definitely worth the 1/2 day if you have never done one. Probably too late in the year for any whales.

2). My favorite pizza anywhere, is in Maui - Flat bread pizza, somewhat near the airport on the Hana Highway, The family and I ran into Owen a Wilson there, and got a picture of his left ear. A story for another time. We always go there usually for lunch before we depart. Farm to fork, everything the salads, sauce and cheese come from farms within 10 miles of the place. Very fresh.

3). If you golf my 2nd favorite Hawaii course (Kapalua Plantation course). The Pros play there every January so you have that benefit if you watch.

4). If you drive the road to Hana it's more than a full day say 12 hours if you stop frequently ( red sand beach, black sand beach, painted ucalyptus trees, many vistas and waterfalls on the way, a blow hole, and the seven sisters at the very end (7 waterfalls on a couple of mile hike up the mountain). I proposed to my wife at waterfall #5, further up it's a really cool bamboo forest ( take bug spray) the waterfall #7 that you can swim up to. Make sure your car has had for the return to because every thing closes on the way back at dark. Not a good drive for the car sick type - hours of back and forth switchbacks on the mountainside. Definitely worth doing once, but you need to know what you are in for. I would say if you are on the island for 8 days or more it is worth it to go one time, if a short trip it just takes too much time.

5) The food is incredible pretty much everywhere, especially if you like seafood. In order of price and to some extent quality - Mamma's fish house, also on the early part of the Hana Highway (it's been years for me as it is just too expensive, but if you can spend the money definitely a must go if only once). It's on the beach cosy atmosphere. Roy's is outstanding. Kimos in Lahaina is a must, Dukes Beach House is great, ... And there are dosens more

6) The Lahaina and Wailea sides of the island are somewhat worlds appart with not much other than an aquarium in-between and you can go back and forth, but its an hour drive with light traffic, heavy traffic is worse. Most people will cross once it twice at most within a week. Wailea has the best weather and is more expensive but there is less to do. Lahaina has more activities, restaurants and shops, and slightly less expensive. Correct that - all of Maui is expensive. Spend over your budget and enjoy yourself, it's worth it, then save up when you get home.

6). Relax by the pool, on the beach, or in ahammok, and take in a nice Vince Flynn novel, decompress. I would not suggest running around the island just to see everything. Sure helicopter tours and a morning sunrise at the peak of the volcano, bike decents down the volcano are popular attractions, but if you don't get enough time to just relax and enjoy a little bit of nothing then you miss it on the peace the island can provide.

If you are into snorkeling in your own I know of one secret place where you will see many turtles...
Thanks to you and the others for the info. I’m splitting my time between Wailea/Hana. First half Wailea, then going to go off the grid in Hana. I try to hit national parks, so am hitting both parts of Haleakala NP.

Have fun Weather should be good and Maui has lots to do. Go get a surf lesson, Ive heard of lots of fun empty waves on the East coast for when you get back home.
East coast, West coast, North shore, Cowie Bombie - none of these match the surfing you can do with the Power Cosmic!

Reactions: hlstone
Cael can “hang ten” scoring wrestlers at the tourney if he adds Truax and Nagao in the portal 🧐🏄‍♂️

Reactions: nitlion6
Then I personally would not enjoy this forum half as much!
The off-season can drag so i like all the "extras" thrown into the threads. I also learn so much about the guys here through the off topic stuff.. family, interests...etc. etc. That's just me but certainly don't hold any ill will towards those that only want wrestling content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT