ADVERTISEMENT

US Open-Entries

Meyer Shapiro just signed up for U20 70kg. Also in the weight is Cody Chittum and Jackson Arrington. Shapiro vs Chittum should be a great match if it happens
Too bad Jackson will beat them both if he faces them.

Honestly, I have no idea. I just like that Arrington kid.

Reactions: nitlion6
I’m pretty sure Sealey is a 157 for at least the first few years. Really need him to be. If he can’t make 157 then things get interesting roster wise. I can’t wait to see him at the U20 level. His run at worlds last year at U17 was one of the most impressive I’ve seen at that level. Just absolutely dominated
Sealey/Haines is as rough of a combo at Lee/Zain. Those 2 were top 2 "He broke him" of all time and we may get there with Levi/Sealey.

I think it is new. As far as I know, he has always trained at the KD Training Center on Long Island. KD has no athletes registered for the Open (at least so far), which is kinda odd, maybe explains Ryder going under M2.

The very first U17 wrestler in Flo's list is Carter Chunko. Junior High must be hell for him.
Move into SC area? Anyone have anything on that? Would be about the time for mom or dad to get a house and finish out a school year.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Anyone know where the PSU recruits for 2023 Willie's final big board landed? OSU board says Shapiro 1, Welsh 3, Rogtozke 15, Kilkeary 33, Cannon 35 and Herman 53

Anyone know where the PSU recruits for 2023 Willie's final big board landed? OSU board says Shapiro 1, Welsh 3, Rogtozke 15, Kilkeary 33, Cannon 35 and Herman 53
Barr is 3 actually, Ryder 8, Seally 11 on his p4p-not sure if that’s what you meant. He removed Shapiro from his rankings, has Welsh at 2 behind Kueter

There may be a more appropriate thread for this discussion (maybe the pinned recruiting thread?). Just thinking out loud.

I know a lot of you don’t follow women’s wrestling as much but 76kg at the US open is possibly the most stacked weight in the entire tournament.
6 time world champion Adeline Gray is back after having a child and taking last year off.

Young phenom Kennedy Blades is entered and won a ranking series event earlier this season. She is one of the brightest young stars in the sport but missed all of 2022 with a concussion.

Kylie Welker is also one of the best young wrestlers in the world. She made the 2021 senior world team at 19 years old and also took bronze at U23’s that same year. She hasn’t wrestled yet this season however.

Yelena Makoyed is possibly wrestling the best of anyone right now. She just won her 3rd college national title while not surrendering a single point all season! She has also won 4 straight international ranking events and pinned the 2 time world champion Adar at the World Cup. She lost in Final X last year to Dymond Guilford.

Dymond Guilford was the US rep at 76kg at the world championships last year. She did not place there but did win silver at U23’s. She also just won her 4th college national title while going undefeated for the year. She recently took bronze at the Zagreb.

Precious Bell is a 2 time US Open champion and reached Final X in 2019 losing to Adeline Gray.

Skylar Grote is moving up to 76kg from 72kg where last year she won the pan ams and the Mateo Pellicone. She lost to Amit Elor in Final X last year.

What a great weight class. I’m interested to see how Adeline does after a year off and giving birth. Blades and Welker are 2 of the best up and comers and it looks like they will battle for world and Olympic teams for a long time. Makoyed might not have the resume or hype that some of the others have but she has gotten better and better and seems to be wrestling her best right now. Should be a really fun weight to watch and whoever comes out on top will be in the conversation to win world gold

Barr is 3 actually, Ryder 8, Seally 11 on his p4p-not sure if that’s what you meant. He removed Shapiro from his rankings, has Welsh at 2 behind Kueter

There may be a more appropriate thread for this discussion (maybe the pinned recruiting thread?). Just thinking out loud.
Nerf he is talking about Willies Big Board for the 2023 class (closest thing to rival 247 sports recruiting rankings)
Barr #4
Kasak #9
Davis #46
Nasdeo #92
Wentzel #173

Nerf he is talking about Willies Big Board for the 2023 class (closest thing to rival 247 sports recruiting rankings)
Barr #4
Kasak #9
Davis #46
Nasdeo #92
Wentzel #173
Yeah, I was looking at the rankings of all HS--still not sure why Shapiro isn't on that one.

Because Shapiro didn't wrestle HS this year?
Right. I guess I was confused as to why he'd be on the class big board, but not the all classes board, but someone explained the difference of purpose of the two, and so now my curiosity is sated.

Lee stated in his recent interview the he hasn't wrestled since NCAAs.

Can't see how he could plan on competing in the Open at this point.

Reactions: Sullivan
Lee stated in his recent interview the he hasn't wrestled since NCAAs.

Can't see how he could plan on competing in the Open at this point.
That interview was annoying. JerseyJerry and Kbnoswag were great, Spencer on the other hand, in trying to honest was strange. He stated that he hates when people stated he lost bc he was hurt but then makes it a point a few times to say I am injured, I have to get healthy, I haven't wrestled since. So he is just giving fuel to his own fans that they will keep going on that he wouldn't have lost if was healthy. Also, he came across as whiny when he was talking about people complaining and saying there is something wrong with him when he only won 8-0 instead of getting a tech fall. Then, he was saying that others should get credit but then took a shot at Glory when people were impressed with him when he wrestled him like 4 years ago and lost by tech.
I do not know, maybe it was me, but he came off as insecure and narcissistic at the same time. And clearly he is still passed that he lost.

That interview was annoying. JerseyJerry and Kbnoswag were great, Spencer on the other hand, in trying to honest was strange. He stated that he hates when people stated he lost bc he was hurt but then makes it a point a few times to say I am injured, I have to get healthy, I haven't wrestled since. So he is just giving fuel to his own fans that they will keep going on that he wouldn't have lost if was healthy. Also, he came across as whiny when he was talking about people complaining and saying there is something wrong with him when he only won 8-0 instead of getting a tech fall. Then, he was saying that others should get credit but then took a shot at Glory when people were impressed with him when he wrestled him like 4 years ago and lost by tech.
I do not know, maybe it was me, but he came off as insecure and narcissistic at the same time. And clearly he is still passed that he lost.
I'm not going to pile on Spencer. He most likely did lose because he was injured, but he doesn't want to use that as an excuse, although not only is it true, it's causing his whole world to come crashing down. Remember, his goals from when he was a kid were 4 PIAAs, 4 NCAAs, 3 Olympic golds, and some crazy amount of world titles. Despite having the natural talent to make all of that seem like it's actually not a ridiculous pipe dream when he said it at the time, it now is a pipe dream mostly because he can't keep his knees healthy. He was beaten in his last match of PIAAs going for his fourth, beaten in his last match of NCAAs going for his fourth, lost one chance at the Olympics due to injury, and is behind the 8 ball for the next one as well. I'll cut him a little slack if he's struggling to deal with all of that. He seems like a good kid with crazy parents and a mountain of expectations that aren't ever going to be fulfilled. He's like the Eric Lindros of wrestling.

He stated that he hates when people stated he lost bc he was hurt but then makes it a point a few times to say I am injured, I have to get healthy, I haven't wrestled since.
This didn't bother me, because I believe Spencer was addressing a subtle difference.

Spencer appears to be coming to grips with what his new normal for 'healthy' is/will be, while distinguishing it from an injury/reinjury. Successful resilient people don't look for pity when down, but do appreciate support. It's obvious to me that he is thinking as positively as he can about how healthy he can become.

Spencer stated clearly that no injury/reinjury led to Ramos' victory or his subsequent MFF to 6th place. Spencer clearly thought it unfair that the spotlight remained on him and his Mom in lieu of Ramos and his family. He took much of the speculation about his whereabouts and decision to MFF as ignorant hurtful haters hating. I fully appreciate his take.

I think Spencer did a helluva job in the interview although he did let one F'bomb slip towards the end.

I have little reason to believe this, but last night I was talking to the highschool coach where the world team trials challenge tournament will be hosted. Said it was cool we get three weight: 61, 92, 125. He said rumor that 57 might be contested too because OUR VERY OWN NITTANY LION Thomas Gilman may go 61.

This didn't bother me, because I believe Spencer was addressing a subtle difference.

Spencer appears to be coming to grips with what his new normal for 'healthy' is/will be, while distinguishing it from an injury/reinjury. Successful resilient people don't look for pity when down, but do appreciate support. It's obvious to me that he is thinking as positively as he can about how healthy he can become.

Spencer stated clearly that no injury/reinjury led to Ramos' victory or his subsequent MFF to 6th place. Spencer clearly thought it unfair that the spotlight remained on him and his Mom in lieu of Ramos and his family. He took much of the speculation about his whereabouts and decision to MFF as ignorant hurtful haters hating. I fully appreciate his take.

I think Spencer did a helluva job in the interview although he did let one F'bomb slip towards the end.
Agreed with this. He said clearly that yes he was injured, no don't blame that for his loss, give Ramos the credit he deserves.

The one thing he said that hacked me off was Lee saying nobody understands what his parents went thru his entire career. Sorry, your parents are hardly the only ones that sacrificed a ton for their kids' opportunity. Try telling RBY's mom about sacrifice. Or the parents who from youth thru HS commuted their kids hours to wrestling clubs multiple times per week, and attended every available camp and competed at every big tournament, just for their kids to end up as walk-on depth in college. Then get over yourself.

Lee saying nobody understands what his parents went thru his entire career.
To be fair, although perhaps unstated by Spencer, I believe that comment was directed solely to those who felt compelled to go on social media regarding his mother's reaction.
He said clearly that yes he was injured
I recall he intentionally kept saying he 'wasn't healthy' rather than he was injured.

Reactions: anon_d29z1jdixxwey
a press release means...? Not sure why we even pay much attention on these matters unless you have serious inside info....otherwise you prepare for interviews.

To be fair, although perhaps unstated by Spencer, I believe that comment was directed solely to those who felt compelled to go on social media regarding his mother's reaction.

I recall he intentionally kept saying he 'wasn't healthy' rather than he was injured.
The size & reach of the reaction towards his mom wasn't due to criticism of her actions as much as just the absurdity of tearing her glasses to shreds. That whole thing was hilarious and that was what made it iconic.

The size & reach of the reaction towards his mom wasn't due to criticism of her actions as much as just the absurdity of tearing her glasses to shreds. That whole thing was hilarious and that was what made it iconic.
Maybe, but any such nuance like that would likely be lost on a son who loves his mother.

Reactions: nitlion6
I'm surprised they pay attention to social media... when will we realize that social media, to include boards, are not representative of the total population.

It may not come across well, but I don't disagree with his takes on Yanni and Freshman Glory (28 minutes in). I definitely remember all the praise for Glory with that tech loss.

Being a 4xer in my book without a high career bonus rate is somewhat empty. For as much respect I have for Yanni, I'll take a David Taylor 2xer with a 90% bonus rate over a career Yanni 4xer any day.

It may not come across well, but I don't disagree with his takes on Yanni and Freshman Glory (28 minutes in). I definitely remember all the praise for Glory with that tech loss.

Being a 4xer in my book without a high career bonus rate is somewhat empty. For as much respect I have for Yanni, I'll take a David Taylor 2xer with a 90% bonus rate over a career Yanni 4xer any day.
Empty?

He's like the Eric Lindros of wrestling.

Nah, Eric Lindros only saw this in his dreams.
stanleycup_clipped.jpg

Lee at least has 3 individual and 1 team championship. (Sorry, I can't resist taking a jab at the Flyers when I'm given the opportunity.)

Reactions: danoftw
Spencer is human and he's frustrated bottom line. I kind of got a sense he has a doubt about how his free career will go (the way he said he was Gilman's biggest competitor and then added well maybe not anymore) and the way his folk career ended is heartbreaking. He's finally speaking his mind. You have to remember these are the lowest days of his career, not only did he lose, he got s*** on and he also saw his mom get humiliated basically on national TV. It's truly a lot and I think he finally wanted to get things off his chest and you know what? He's right, he was held to pretty different standards in his career and he wants us all to know he thinks that's BS and he is reminding us don't forget how damn good I was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT