ADVERTISEMENT

US Open-Entries

If he isn't going for 4, he probably isn't healthy enough to wrestle at all if we are being honest. I see a lot of PSU folks looking to pile on for the sake of piling on.

Still, I think there is certainly value to his finishing the tournament on Saturday, and you still have to look at the message that is sent when he doesn't finish. He DID choose to wrestle for 4. He doesn't want to be The Guy, apparently, but it seems like everything he does is to be The Guy. But only when it comes easy, to an extent. The hard thing, both physically and, likely psychologically, was to wrestle back for 3rd. He couldn't have been too injured to do so if he wrestled to the semis.
"He only does it when it comes easy"

*about the guy that won 1 title on a torn acl and another on 2 torn acl's*

joe-biden-cmon-man.gif

Does anyone know the reasoning of why it takes the NLWC guys so long to register for these senior level freestyle events ?
I always assumed it was just more of the same from our famously tight-lipped leader: don't give your opponents info if you don't have to--that kind of thing.

Reactions: District four
I always assumed it was just more of the same from our famously tight-lipped leader: don't give your opponents info if you don't have to--that kind of thing.
I was hoping it was something more enlightening such as Cody trying to save a few bucks in postage, by mailing all the applications out in the same envelope.

Reactions: Sullivan
"He only does it when it comes easy"

*about the guy that won 1 title on a torn acl and another on 2 torn acl's*

joe-biden-cmon-man.gif
I am more than ready to declare Spencer a tough SOB, one of the toughest. That’s not the issue at all.

The issue is having it both ways. Can’t use wrestling on major injuries as evidence as toughness, then use his not wrestling as evidence that he’s hurt. He’s tough or he’s not, could wrestle that weekend or couldn’t.

Look I’m consistent on this and would call/have called out PSU wrestlers just the same. I mean I thought I’d be shown the door for having the nerve to say Joe Lee looking incredibly dumb for flexing on a guy he just pinned, then losing to him 2 weeks later. Called out Kerk last Spring. Not piling on Lee, trust me. I was watching that kid pin people for a decade before anyone in Iowa City ever heard of him. Nothing but respect.

But it’s really easy when you’re rolling and winning everything and everyone is there seeing you win. Takes a different toughness to finish when you get the attention for a different reason.

I am more than ready to declare Spencer a tough SOB, one of the toughest. That’s not the issue at all.

The issue is having it both ways. Can’t use wrestling on major injuries as evidence as toughness, then use his not wrestling as evidence that he’s hurt. He’s tough or he’s not, could wrestle that weekend or couldn’t.

Look I’m consistent on this and would call/have called out PSU wrestlers just the same. I mean I thought I’d be shown the door for having the nerve to say Joe Lee looking incredibly dumb for flexing on a guy he just pinned, then losing to him 2 weeks later. Called out Kerk last Spring. Not piling on Lee, trust me. I was watching that kid pin people for a decade before anyone in Iowa City ever heard of him. Nothing but respect.

But it’s really easy when you’re rolling and winning everything and everyone is there seeing you win. Takes a different toughness to finish when you get the attention for a different reason.
Here's my thoughts. The whole excuses is for wussies saying I believe was Spencer referring to the Iowa fan base. Since everytime he looked bad they made some sort of excuse for him looking off lol

Here's my thoughts. The whole excuses is for wussies saying I believe was Spencer referring to the Iowa fan base. Since everytime he looked bad they made some sort of excuse for him looking off lol
Boom exactly.

It’s so very easy to say that when you’re the main event. A lot harder when you’re not. Some might even say that wrestling Saturday morning was tough wrestling for him, and he doesn’t like that.

Look, you can’t have it both ways. You can either talk about your injuries or not. If your mindset is excuses are for wussies, you can not bring up injuries or wrestling hurt at all. If you happen to be injured, with this mindset, you just keep your mouth shut and move on.
Exactly. I thought maybe the definition of excuses changes when I wasn't looking because it sounds like he's giving an excuse

I believe it was directed at a certain other Iowa wrestler who ironically MFFD out too 6th place with what was thought too be broken ribs.

I keep coming back to this thread expecting to see a discussion on Gable Steveson’s return. Really looking forward to seeing him compete and if he can still compete at the same level as before
GS’s gas tank will be the key.

He’s still a freaking monster, the guy to beat and the favorite to walk thru the 125 bracket.

But, Parris has definitely “leveled-up”, and Parris appears over his injuries.

If Stevenson didn’t take his conditioning seriously during his little WWE soirée, then things could get interesting at the end of close matches.

He’s still a freaking monster, the guy to beat and the favorite to walk thru the 125 bracket.

If Stevenson didn’t take his conditioning seriously during his little WWE soirée, then things could get interesting at the end of close matches.
Gable always seemed to put a little extra into his matches with Parris. It'll be interesting to see where that goes from here.

I don't think Parris leveled up. He returned to form after healing from the neck injury. Gable beat that version soundly. The only question is whether Gable is still the same Gable. If he is, this won't be competitive.

How does Steveson get seeded?

On talent and past results, he should be the 1. But he hasn’t wrestled in 2 years -- and if that's reason to drop him, then how far?

Reactions: donboy6499
How does Steveson get seeded?

On talent and past results, he should be the 1. But he hasn’t wrestled in 2 years -- and if that's reason to drop him, then how far?
You see him No. 1. End of. Don’t ruin the tournament trying to get cute

Reactions: hlstone
You see him No. 1. End of. Don’t ruin the tournament trying to get cute
You have to seed him 1 otherwise it punishes the rest of the bracket. I also think that Parris absolutely leveled up. Being healthy is obviously huge but this was by far his best season. That said, I don’t give him a chance against Gable if Gable comes in in wrestling shape. I’m interested to see him wrestle multiple tough matches in the same day though. Heavyweight is stacked and he’s going to have tough matches almost from the jump. I wonder if his body is ready for the grind that a tournament like this is. I bet yes but I can’t wait to see

I watched the beginning of Gable's announcement and all I could think was that he was putting his WWE acting classes to use. The way he spoke and his tone seemed like he was cutting a WWE wrestling promo video. Was weird to me.

So how injured was he really against Ramos…
I mean, I think it's pretty clear that he could have wrestled consis if he wanted to, and it's a shame IMO that he didn't (but that's his decision, so whatever), but I'm sure he's not 100%, either. Spencer has made the mistake of trying to wrestle through significant injuries in the past instead of letting them fully heal first, and it looks like history repeating itself now. Given the caliber of this field with guys like Suriano and Glory and the aura of invincibility shattered, I wouldn't be shocked to see Spencer lose here (and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him lose to Gilman in Final X even if he does successfully run the gauntlet here).

I mean, I think it's pretty clear that he could have wrestled consis if he wanted to, and it's a shame IMO that he didn't (but that's his decision, so whatever), but I'm sure he's not 100%, either. Spencer has made the mistake of trying to wrestle through significant injuries in the past instead of letting them fully heal first, and it looks like history repeating itself now. Given the caliber of this field with guys like Suriano and Glory and the aura of invincibility shattered, I wouldn't be shocked to see Spencer lose here (and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him lose to Gilman in Final X even if he does successfully run the gauntlet here).
hey spencer to say excuses are for wusses then do exactly that!!

What Spencer is saying is:
I wasn't injured, nor am I currently injured. My knees have not been fully rehabbed since the surgery. My conditioning has not been appropriate because of my knees, but I wanted that 4th title and my Iowa legacy Carvered in marble. I did not give a shit about 3rd place. Kiss my ass if it bothers you. Oh yeah excuses are still for wusses and my excuses are simple explanations.

What Spencer is saying is:
I wasn't injured, nor am I currently injured. My knees have not been fully rehabbed since the surgery. My conditioning has not been appropriate because of my knees, but I wanted that 4th title and my Iowa legacy Carvered in marble. I did not give a shit about 3rd place. Kiss my ass if it bothers you. Oh yeah excuses are still for wusses and my excuses are simple explanations.
Funny thing is, his entire interview personifies someone bothered by what others think.

Not to pile on Spencer Lee, but Iowa fans simply won't let anyone in the world ever forget that Spencer's been wrestling without ACLs, basically forever. Is it possible that he's a guy that simply doesn't have much discomfort, pain or disability even with badly injured ACLs? I've been told that some people can basically do without them and that it's not universally the same injury from one guy to the next. Frankly, I'm just sick and tired of hearing about Spencer Lee in general, but the martyr stuff has really gotten old for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT