ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to the Virginia series?

Patterson825

Jan 28, 2016
Penn State played Virginia back in 2012 and Virginia was supposed to play @ Penn State they never made the game up. Did they buy out?

Pretty sure both teams were fine with dropping that game
We scheduled UCF instead
It's not like anyone was excited to play UVa at home

Reactions: mhlarch
There were a few other things w UVA series that went beyond the geography:
1) a match up of Premier public universities in our region and nation. We are the little brother here.

2) the Paterno/ George Welsh connection

3) plenty of intermarrying between alums- especially in the DC area

4) a strong UVA was a recruiting rival...they are not now but if we beat them they will continue to not compete for top kids

Playing UVa and Va Tech makes a lot of sense to me- unfortunately games were cancelled.

So be it

There were a few other things w UVA series that went beyond the geography:
1) a match up of Premier public universities in our region and nation. We are the little brother here.

2) the Paterno/ George Welsh connection

3) plenty of intermarrying between alums- especially in the DC area

4) a strong UVA was a recruiting rival...they are not now but if we beat them they will continue to not compete for top kids

Playing UVa and Va Tech makes a lot of sense to me- unfortunately games were cancelled.

So be it

Great points.
That, plus they beat us due to a few missed FGs.

There's a reason we got the home and home with them, Would have been a big/great home game.

LdN

Great points.

There's a reason we got the home and home with them, Would have been a big/great home game.

LdN
The reason is weak scheduling just like our future schedules. Trying to pretend UVa is a big game might be a new low for this board.

Yes, plenty of people were excited to play UVA.
Would a map help?

LdN
I was excited to play Virginia. We have a second home in Virginia. It is a great state to visit, kind of the Confederate mirror image of Pennsylvania. It’s a nice trip, the students are a little crazy but which school’s aren’t? Virginia is down right now but if we scheduled them more regularly it would help both schools, unlike Pitt, which is just a waste of time.

Great points.

LdN
Plus 1 lazy play by a LT. He knocked his guy down then stood and watched him get up as the QB ran by. If he pancakes him we win instead of Ficken missing the FG. This wasn't the final drive tho.

Last edited:
Reactions: LionDeNittany
You can all like to play Virginia for personal reasons without pretending it's a big game
This board is honestly so obsessed with the past there's no words

I was excited to play Virginia. We have a second home in Virginia. It is a great state to visit, kind of the Confederate mirror image of Pennsylvania. It’s a nice trip, the students are a little crazy but which school’s aren’t? Virginia is down right now but if we scheduled them more regularly it would
Plus 1 lazy play by a LT. Hnocked his guy down then stood and watched him get up as the QB ran by. If he pancakes him we win instead of Fayak missing the FG.

I was at that game so missed this play or didn't notice it.

Just remember our kicker blowing the game for us.

LdN

Landy, this isn't today this was 2012.

We aren't pretending anything. It was a big game.

You lost. You were wrong.
Explain how UVa was a big game in 2012
UVa hasn't been relevant in football since...basically ever
It was a bad series then and you clearly want to play them today
Also being upset about it is living in the past

OK, Mr Penn State fan who thinks some guy from the MAC is the best tight end in the country. It’s OK, you don’t have to go on another one of your 20 page rants. We all know you’re fake fake fake.
lol--again, not what I said--I said he has better stats and there's logic for him being on the top 25 given his games against us and A&M
I also said in that thread that Warren is better and will be there at the end of they year--but comprehending anything was never something you were capable of
Also "some guys from the MAC" confirms you know nothing about football or you'd have said his name

Great points.

LdN
Beat us in State College in 1989 opener. Saw a buddy who graduated with me in 87- but was wearing a UVa shirt.

WTF? I asked? I knew he was NoVa...but to rep against your own alma mater? He was hammered as was I- but the gist was his folks went to UVa as did his grandparents and he was hosting a tailgate of UVa family and friends and he scummed to peer pressure.

THAT dynamic is what is missing when we line up against most Big Ten teams. I was born an hour west of Charlottesville near the WVa line in the middle of the middle of nowhere.

I looked at UVa but would not have gotten in- but for have high school friends who went there. Have a local buddy and a former student who did med school there. Can't say the same for Minnesota or Nebraska.

Wish we played them...

lol--again, not what I said--I said he has better stats and there's logic for him being on the top 25 given his games against us and A&M
I also said in that thread that Warren is better and will be there at the end of they year--but comprehending anything was never something you were capable of
Also "some guys from the MAC" confirms you know nothing about football or you'd have said his name
It must get heavy moving those goalposts all around like you do.

Beat us in State College in 1989 opener. Saw a buddy who graduated with me in 87- but was wearing a UVa shirt.

WTF? I asked? I knew he was NoVa...but to rep against your own alma mater? He was hammered as was I- but the gist was his folks went to UVa as did his grandparents and he was hosting a tailgate of UVa family and friends and he scummed to peer pressure.

THAT dynamic is what is missing when we line up against most Big Ten teams. I was born an hour west of Charlottesville near the WVa line in the middle of the middle of nowhere.

I looked at UVa but would not have gotten in- but for have high school friends who went there. Have a local buddy and a former student who did med school there. Can't say the same for Minnesota or Nebraska.

Wish we played them...

Yes. Modern day fans don't understand the close relationship with our eastern rivals and why they matter.

My parents live in Cville now. Brother went to UVA.

Etc.etc.

• Haha
Reactions: LandoComando
The reality is that we just let them get out of a home game for us without any compensation. Instead we essentially paid some cupcake for a home game to fill out the schedule. Even ignoring that it would have been nice get revenge for the crap game in Virginia, wouldn’t everyone rather have a home game against a Power conference team rather than some MAC opponent.

I would love to see PSU say to the UVA AD that they owe us a game in PA and get them scheduled

The reality is that we just let them get out of a home game for us without any compensation. Instead we essentially paid some cupcake for a home game to fill out the schedule. Even ignoring that it would have been nice get revenge for the crap game in Virginia, wouldn’t everyone rather have a home game against a Power conference team rather than some MAC opponent.

I would love to see PSU say to the UVA AD that they owe us a game in PA and get them scheduled
We replaced them with UCF who went 12-1 and beat us
Virginia went 2-10--a true cupcake

I'm all for UVa and UNC joining the Big Ten with ND and a western school (Stanford or Arizona) and while I agree we let them out of it for nothing (not surprising) it's the equivalent of scheduling Syracuse who is a low-level ACC school. As your "big" non-conference game that's not good enough

We replaced them with UCF who went 12-1 and beat us
Virginia went 2-10--a true cupcake

I'm all for UVa and UNC joining the Big Ten with ND and a western school (Stanford or Arizona) and while I agree we let them out of it for nothing (not surprising) it's the equivalent of scheduling Syracuse who is a low-level ACC school. As your "big" non-conference game that's not good enough

Lando, little grasshopper.

You were wrong. Admit it and move on.

LdN

Apparently everyone but Lando.

He's like a caged animal. Now UCF is some power opponent that we were lucky to have instead of UVA.
The UCF series was home and away (though the away game was in Ireland). While they nominally replaced UVA thats not really realistic because it cost us another “away” game to schedule UCF. In 2013 we could have hosted UVA instead of say Kent St and still have been able to schedule UCF as we did.

It was absolutely cowardly to let UVA out of that game after we travelled to Charlottesville and cost PSU money at a time we were hemorrhaging due to the unfair penalties.

The UCF series was home and away (though the away game was in Ireland). While they nominally replaced UVA thats not really realistic because it cost us another “away” game to schedule UCF. In 2013 we could have hosted UVA instead of say Kent St and still have been able to schedule UCF as we did.

It was absolutely cowardly to let UVA out of that game after we travelled to Charlottesville and cost PSU money at a time we were hemorrhaging due to the unfair penalties.
We weren't going to play UCF, Syracuse and UVa--there's no chance
It was never a MAC school or UVa
The bold is true

We weren't going to play UCF, Syracuse and UVa--there's no chance
It was never a MAC school or UVa
The bold is true
Nothing stopping us from keeping UVA on the schedule in 2013 and playing UCF in 2014/15.

Letting UVA get out of a home game at PSU cost PSU money and was a terrible embarrassing decision.

Yes. Agreed. It was a terrible and weak decision.

LdN

Nothing stopping us from keeping UVA on the schedule in 2013 and playing UCF in 2014/15.

Letting UVA get out of a home game at PSU cost PSU money and was a terrible embarrassing decision.
True--this I'm not disputing. Fully agree with this.
Disagree that was either UVa or a MAC school--that was never a debate.
Disagree that UVa is a "big game"--doesn't mean people can't like it because for personal reasons but it's UVa football--let's keep it real
Again, completely agree--embarrassing decision and we let them out of it because of the scandal. Our leadership was...lacking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT