ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State cruises the country roads to a 34-12 win over West Virginia

Garrett Greene final "impressive numbers"
15/28 53.6% (actually good for him)
161 yards--less than 6 an attempt
10 rushes for 5 (FIVE) yards
Kid is a stud
PSU did a great job of containing Greene. Even though we won easily and convincingly last season (and I have a poor memory, so I might be wrong on his), but I seem to recall Greene was much more pesky; scrambling, keeping plays alive, firing off last second completions. Little of that today :) We really shut him down!

I watched the Pat McAfee on Friday and he really pumped up Garrett during his appearance on the show, Heisman chants and all. I wonder how much that affected him. Either making him over confident or possibly adding unneeded pressure on him. He looked stiff. Maybe a bit of both of that or a stifling PSU D.

PSU did a great job of containing Greene. Even though we won easily and convincingly last season (and I have a poor memory, so I might be wrong on his), but I seem to recall Greene was much more pesky; scrambling, keeping plays alive, firing off last second completions. None of that today :) We really shut him down!

I watched the Pat McAfee on Friday and he really pumped up Garrett during his appearance on the show, Heisman chants and all. I wonder how much that affected him. Either making him over confident or possibly adding unneeded pressure on him. He looked stiff. Maybe a bit of both of that or a stifling PSU D.
I think it helped that there's more film on Greene now. He's very inaccurate. Tons of high throws today. He gets a ton of completions on throws behind or at the line of scrimmage. Allen wasn't going to let him get into the game emotionally. He was going to force him to do what he doesn't want to do--sit in a pocket and read a defense. It was brilliant and Greene couldn't do it. The blueprint is now there for everyone else--just few teams, especially in the Big XII, have our talent level

Reactions: mhlarch
The review on the first down was really bad. The others were fine
Targeting was correct--even though I still think the rule is dumb
The TD--meh--I don't know if it was definitive but, yeah, that first down was one of the worst I've seen.

Great win! Lots of candidates for players of the game. I’d go with Tre Wallace on offense and Jaylin Reed on defense.
Reed played great but Winston had 12 tackles vs 9 for Reed. I'd have to give the nod to Winston but both played great.

Reactions: Obliviax
Very concerned about the FG kicking situation. Sadayhak (sp?) is still inaccurate and that does not bode well for tight games. Wasn't there a transfer kicker from Tulsa?
Sadhayak probably makes them in practice.

We really shut him down!

The game plan was to make Greene throw them to victory. We were willing to let him throw short stuff all day if they desired to try it.

Stifling indeed. It was an underrated performance because we didn't get a ton of sacks nor blitz a lot.

At one point, Franklin claimed the kicking comp was so close that the % separating the 3 was 1-2% each. Like, 85, 84, 83% from all 3 in tracked kicks.
Yep, I heard him say that. But right now his starter is 0 for 2 so maybe he gives the other two guys 2 games kicks each to see how the stack up in actual games.

Reactions: lazydave841
Only saw the first half because the delay screwed up my recording and we’re on vacay. Overall, really pleased. Wallace is a STUD, praying he stays healthy. Defense looked really solid, especially the DBs. Happy with the short yardage D. Singleton could take a huge leap forward this season. A couple nitpicks: ditch the Pribula package entirely. It’s completely unnecessary. Also, way too many reps for Elsdon. King needs to play 80% of the time unless gassed or hurt.

WE ARE!!!

You guys were too talented I came close to picking the score. I said 34-16.
Thanks for all good vibes. Hope you do well all year. You have a pretty decent team

A strange game. We don’t score at the end of the half and no rain delay it could have been a close game. That was a long time to sit and stew over giving up a big TD.

Glad to see RB White back in second half. Good back with speed that can help you a lot.

Best of luck rest of season and bury Pitt in a deep pit!

Only saw the first half because the delay screwed up my recording and we’re on vacay. Overall, really pleased. Wallace is a STUD, praying he stays healthy. Defense looked really solid, especially the DBs. Happy with the short yardage D. Singleton could take a huge leap forward this season. A couple nitpicks: ditch the Pribula package entirely. It’s completely unnecessary. Also, way too many reps for Elsdon. King needs to play 80% of the time unless gassed or hurt.

WE ARE!!!
It was very hot and humid first half. And the D was on the field a lot in first half so probably rotated a lot of guys to keep them fresh.

Also, a lot of players are known as gamers…… they don’t look great in practice but turn into beasts during games. Have to play guys a few games to see which earn that monicker.

Reactions: m.knox
PSU did a great job of containing Greene. Even though we won easily and convincingly last season (and I have a poor memory, so I might be wrong on his), but I seem to recall Greene was much more pesky; scrambling, keeping plays alive, firing off last second completions. Little of that today :) We really shut him down!

I’d say we put his Heisman hype to bed very quickly. If he’s a top 10 candidate, Allar should be top 5.

Reactions: mhlarch

WE ARE!!!

Really? Pribula converted a 3rd Down with a nice option play. Pribula had a nice TD pass to TE directly down the slot 100% set up by "Pribula Package" (replay shows WVU LBs running directly toward LOS after Pribula takes Shotgun Snap because he runs or options on like 90% of his snaps - this left the TE wide-open down the slot and Pribula hit him with a pass on the numbers).

Reactions: scbob
Really? Pribula converted a 3rd Down with a nice option play. Pribula had a nice TD pass to TE directly down the slot 100% set up by "Pribula Package" (replay shows WVU LBs running directly toward LOS after Pribula takes Shotgun Snap because he runs or options on like 90% of his snaps - this left the TE wide-open down the slot and Pribula hit him with a pass on the numbers).
Yes, really. It interrupts the flow of the normal offense and takes snaps from Allar. Unless it’s mop-up time, scrap it.

Thanks for all good vibes. Hope you do well all year. You have a pretty decent team

A strange game. We don’t score at the end of the half and no rain delay it could have been a close game. That was a long time to sit and stew over giving up a big TD.

Glad to see RB White back in second half. Good back with speed that can help you a lot.

Best of luck rest of season and bury Pitt in a deep pit!
You guys were too physical and fast. Everybody was talking about how you had specimens all over the field. THat being said keep #3 away from on field mic. Hahahaha

I’d say we put his Heisman hype to bed very quickly. If he’s a top 10 candidate, Allar should be top 5.
You are one of five to eight teams with the speed to make him look that bad. We will not play another team all year with your talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
You guys were too physical and fast. Everybody was talking about how you had specimens all over the field. THat being said keep #3 away from on field mic. Hahahaha
I heard that. Wow.

Thoughts:
1. Psu did well enough and I can't criticize much. Obviously field goals need to improve.
2. A noon game on the road with a hyped opponent, maybe overhyped, it's never easy. They performed well enough in my opinion. I don't think West Virginia is what their fans and some pets thought they were, but Penn State did about as well as can be expected.

Said that long rain delay and I don't have any problems with their efforts
3. Will they beat osu? Probably not, I wish she was considered to be one of the favorites for national championship. However, remember if Penn State does beat Ohio State during the regular season they're probably gonna face them.

On the flipside if they actually lose to OSU and bring the table otherwise I believe they'll end up facing again and maybe the second round possibly. If I have to go against Ohio State, I'm gonna beat them in the playoffs as opposed to regular season.

The calculus is different this year.

You are one of five to eight teams with the speed to make him look that bad. We will not play another team all year with your talent.
But if you can’t do it against the good teams, you don’t deserve to be in the Heisman discussion.

Reactions: WV Bruno
He is bad. Yesterday he actually improved his completion percentage from last year. Wisely WVU had him throw a bunch of passes behind or at the LOS to pad those numbers. He was high and/or inaccurate consistently and is unable or unwilling to come off his first read.

Yes we are the best team you'll play all year but he's our of the least accurate starting QBs in D1. Everyone now has the blueprint of what you do. Just keep him in the pocket and he's useless.

Heisman contender lol
Stop listening to McAfee

Everyone now has the blueprint of what you do

They don't face another defense of our caliber the rest of the year.

It's not out of the question that they put up similar numbers as last year vs a Big 12 schedule devoid of Oklahoma, Texas, and Utah. Even matchups vs Kansas, Oklahoma State, Kansas St, and Arizona don't present strong defenses, yet.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
They don't face another defense of our caliber the rest of the year.

It's not out of the question that they put up similar numbers as last year vs a Big 12 schedule devoid of Oklahoma, Texas, and Utah. Even matchups vs Kansas, Oklahoma State, Kansas St, and Arizona don't present strong defenses, yet.
They don't but they now at least know what to do. We'll see how he does against a subpar Pitt defense in 2 weeks. If he's going to eat up the Big XII imagine what Fifita will do

Reactions: lazydave841
He is bad. Yesterday he actually improved his completion percentage from last year. Wisely WVU had him throw a bunch of passes behind or at the LOS to pad those numbers. He was high and/or inaccurate consistently and is unable or unwilling to come off his first read.

Yes we are the best team you'll play all year but he's our of the least accurate starting QBs in D1. Everyone now has the blueprint of what you do. Just keep him in the pocket and he's useless.

Heisman contender lol
Stop listening to McAfee
I NEVER thought he was a Heisman contender. Never. I never fall for propaganda on anything WVU.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT