ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State cruises the country roads to a 34-12 win over West Virginia

That is false. It is the pulling down that is illegal. It’s right there in the rules.

It is not the "pulling down" - it is the pulling straight back causing the runners gate to buckle (i.e., slow down immediately). You're full of shiat - it is illegal to grab and use the back collar opening to pull directly backwards on the runner. ILLEGAL - specifically a Personal Foul.

We had a great day--we did exactly what we were supposed to do against a team of WVU's caliber
Like Klatt said, we did the same thing last year--until we play Ohio State we won't know how much we've improved
The goal is simply to wins game--mission accomplished.
Stop trying to pretend WVU is good--Garrett Greene isn't a good QB--we contained him today and he was absolutely dreadful--the impressive part is we did contain him

Reactions: RickinDayton
I am glad to see that Allar has a pulse and a competitive edge to him. That game reminded me a little bit of Trace McSorley! I loved watching him basically saying F you to trotter. I am cautiously optimistic that this is a playoff team that can make a run. Most of the team played extraordinarily well, including the two lines. Not everything was perfect. Carter was mentally unhinged most of the game. Allen just seems too slow to share a starting job with Singleton. Fleming was nowhere to be found. And obviously, we don’t have a kicker

Reactions: PSU621
I am glad to see that Allar has a pulse and a competitive edge to him. That game reminded me a little bit of Trace McSorley! I loved watching him basically saying F you to trotter. I am cautiously optimistic that this is a playoff team that can make a run. Most of the team played extraordinarily well, including the two lines. Not everything was perfect. Carter was mentally unhinged most of the game. Allen just seems too slow to share a starting job with Singleton. Fleming was nowhere to be found. And obviously, we don’t have a kicker
We have a kicker, but he's not starting yet.

Reactions: Roar More
It is not the "pulling down" - it is the pulling straight back causing the runners gate to buckle (i.e., slow down immediately). You're full of shiat - it is illegal to grab and use the back collar opening to pull directly backwards on the runner. ILLEGAL - specifically a Personal Foul.
Except the rule disagrees with you.

When you form the Bushwood Football League, you can make up your own horse collar rule ... until then, you have to abide by the actual rule. And it's "gait," not "gate." And gaits don't buckle. Knees do.

NFL rule:

ARTICLE 16. HORSE-COLLAR TACKLE

No player shall grab the inside collar of the back or the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, or grab the jersey at the name plate or above, and pull the runner toward the ground. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket.

Note: It is not necessary for a player to pull the runner completely to the ground in order for the act to be illegal. If his knees are buckled by the action, it is a foul, even if the runner is not pulled completely to the ground.

Penalty: For a Horse-Collar Tackle: Loss of 15 yards and an automatic first down.

NCAA 9-1-15

All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside back collar of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling the ball carrier down. This does not apply to a ball carrier, including a potential passer, who is inside the tackle box (Rule 2-34). Note that the tackle box disintegrates when the ball leaves it.

NFHS 9-4-3-k

No player or non(-)player shall (g)rab the inside back or side collar of the shoulder pads or jersey of the runner and subsequently pull (backward or sideward) that opponent to the ground (Horse-collar), even if possession is lost. The horse-collar foul is enforced as a live-ball foul.

--------------------

NOTE: The college rule has actually been amended (this year) to also apply to a ballcarrier within the tackle box, but that's not relevant here.

Last edited:
Did his knees buckle as the rule says? His knees buckling would cause him to slow down, no? Doesn't matter now that we will see no replay.
Even by the NFL rule, as I stated previously, it wasn't a penalty. The "knees buckling" only applies if the defender pulled the offensive player down ... you tried to differentiate by saying the defender doesn't have to pull the ball-carrier all the way down to the ground. OK, that's true ... but he does have to pull him down to some extent. If he does that (which he didn't, here), then you can look to the knee-buckling (which also didn't happen). Here he just grabbed the back of the jersey, in between the shoulder pads ... and he didn't even pull at all, really ... he just held him up momentarily while the rest of the defender's body could catch up, at which point he let go and jumped on his back to bring him down, wrapping his arms around him toward the front of the body, from behind. I have it on DVR, so I was able to confirm this is what happened.

Biggest plus IMO was Wallace. Evans also shows some promise. No Fleming or Clifford is a mystery.

Allar seemed a little bit more assertive. You could see him being vocal and he made some quick decisions to run for 1st downs (44 yds).

Winston had 12 tackles and Reed had 9. I prefer our leading tacklers were LBs but safety looks solid. Rojas was active but a few times he lowered his shoulder instead of wrapping the ball carrier up. Not much from Carter or Sutton at DE.

Allen had 10 carries for 20 yds. Singleton had 114 yds but 80 of them came on 2 carries. Without those he had 11 carries for 34 yds. I'd like to see those to average 4 ypc and the big plays would be gravy.

WVa had a chance but their chances disappeared after we held them to a FG at the end of the half then completed 2 long passes and scored to take a 20-6 lead.

Do we have a PK? Sadhayak just barely missed those two las year and got benched. This year he missed badly.

I’m glad it was a blowout, wish we put a handful of more scores on the board.

WVU and the media did a great job of marketing this game, I’ll give them that. The BIG12 is trash, Greene is not a P5 QB, and their defense is gaping hole of trash talkers with no game. The CB from Northwestern and Trotter were dirty but also mediocre. It was probably always going to be a blowout but WVU did a hell of a job convincing us they were better than they actually are.

Reactions: PSU621 and mhlarch
I’m glad it was a blowout, wish we put a handful of more scores on the board.

WVU and the media did a great job of marketing this game, I’ll give them that. The BIG12 is trash, Greene is not a P5 QB, and their defense is gaping hole of trash talkers with no game. The CB from Northwestern and Trotter were dirty but also mediocre. It was probably always going to be a blowout but WVU did a hell of a job convincing us they were better than they actually are.
McAfee sold people...plus the smoke and mirrors of 8-4 last year

Reactions: mhlarch
Very concerned about the FG kicking situation. Sadayhak (sp?) is still inaccurate and that does not bode well for tight games. Wasn't there a transfer kicker from Tulsa?

Biggest plus IMO was Wallace. Evans also shows some promise. No Fleming or Clifford is a mystery.

Allar seemed a little bit more assertive. You could see him being vocal and he made some quick decisions to run for 1st downs (44 yds).

Winston had 12 tackles and Reed had 9. I prefer our leading tacklers were LBs but safety looks solid. Rojas was active but a few times he lowered his shoulder instead of wrapping the ball carrier up. Not much from Carter or Sutton at DE.

Allen had 10 carries for 20 yds. Singleton had 114 yds but 80 of them came on 2 carries. Without those he had 11 carries for 34 yds. I'd like to see those to average 4 ypc and the big plays would be gravy.

WVa had a chance but their chances disappeared after we held them to a FG at the end of the half then completed 2 long passes and scored to take a 20-6 lead.

Do we have a PK? Sadhayak just barely missed those two las year and got benched. This year he missed badly.

Wallace showing up was huge. He was a possession guy last year in limited action. He showed a lot of skills today.

Allar's runs were chain movers. Much needed aspect and shows his growth.

Scheme and WVU offense dictates the tackling leaders. Seems a lot of the defensive plan was to contain Greene and make him beat us passing.

Carter was mistake prone, but he will improve. DDS forced WVU to move their LT. That's a win for him in my book.

Running game needs work. Are we an outside zone running team? Singleton got his yards behind that. Allen didn't impress, but a lot of the scoring was setup off the defense expecting him to get the ball.

Sayhadak wins the camp battle, again, only to miss his live action kicks. Expect we see one of the other guys next week.

Did you hear the TV announcer call Allar a "young Tom Brady"?

• Wow
Reactions: The Spin Meister

I think the focus for the DEs this game was primarily to contain Greene. Carter needs to do less jawing and keep his head in the game. He let the WVU players get in his head. Still a long way to go for Carter @ DE. I think against the power teams Carter should be playing LBer.

Did you hear the TV announcer call Allar a "young Tom Brady"?
I think he was comparing his measureables and how he played @ UM. He made the point he was not comparing him to NFL Brady. I do think Allar is showing much better pocket awareness and the lower weight has given him a little more quickness. He made some very timely runs today.

Reactions: mhlarch
I think he was comparing his measureables and how he played @ UM. He made the point he was comparing him to NFL Brady. I do think Allar is showing much better pocket awareness and the lower weight has given him a little more quickness. He made some very timely runs today.
Is it better awareness or is he allowed to do more? He looked like a guy that was no longer shackled

Reactions: mhlarch and LMTLION
Great win to open the season against a quality team on the road.

Credit to us for taking control in the 2nd quarter and not being seriously challenged afterward.

I feel a lot better about our top-10 ranking and playoff prospects after watching this game.

Sure, there are question marks and areas for improvement -- we need a reliable FG kicker to start with -- but all in all, I think we're in better shape after 2024's Week One than 2023's, which ended in a 10-2 regular season.

Reactions: WeR0206
Is it better awareness or is he allowed to do more? He looked like a guy that was no longer shackled

30/70 perhaps?

His take off and run clock was a lot better. He seemed cognizant of where the first down line to gain was, got there, and got down. The anticipation on some of his throws was much better.

Of course, we threw multiple passes down the field and that's different. Sure, he had the long TD to KLS last year, but it was out of a running look off hard play action. The passing today was deliberate. With 30 seconds left, we went deep to Evans. And we left a lot in the playbook.

Reactions: OaktonDave
30/70 perhaps?

His take off and run clock was a lot better. He seemed cognizant of where the first down line to gain was, got there, and got down. The anticipation on some of his throws was much better.

Of course, we threw multiple passes down the field and that's different. Sure, he had the long TD to KLS last year, but it was out of a running look off hard play action. The passing today was deliberate. With 30 seconds left, we went deep to Evans. And we left a lot in the playbook.
Agree with all of this--I just wonder how much he wasn't allowed to do these things last year. He had zero hesitation to take off today--last year it was as though they didn't want him to run.

Garrett Greene final "impressive numbers"
15/28 53.6% (actually good for him)
161 yards--less than 6 an attempt
10 rushes for 5 (FIVE) yards
Kid is a stud

Agree with all of this--I just wonder how much he wasn't allowed to do these things last year. He had zero hesitation to take off today--last year it was as though they didn't want him to run.

I think he was told to be risk averse and let others make the plays. Noticed we avoided him doing the zone read on 80% of our rushing plays. Straight hand offs from the side saddle or even Pistol formation. And his awareness to take off was just so much smoother. The weight loss and RB drills helped a lot.

Reactions: LandoComando
Kid is a stud

Much credit to Tom Allen and the defense. It wasn't the blitz-fest Diaz used, but in retrospect you can tell a lot was deliberate.

If not for the fluke of the catch to the TE and 2 on the money throws, his stats would have been much worse.

Their best play was outside zone and TE Trap blocking for White runs.

Kid is a stud
Yep, he did not look very good, but give our defense and game plan credit.

Much credit to Tom Allen and the defense. It wasn't the blitz-fest Diaz used, but in retrospect you can tell a lot was deliberate.

If not for the fluke of the catch to the TE and 2 on the money throws, his stats would have been much worse.

Their best play was outside zone and TE Trap blocking for White runs.
Winston played great but he definitely turned what could/should have been a pick into a 27 yard gain and Fox made an unbelievable catch to help him out
Very impressed with the gameplan to force Greene to stay in the pocket--executed perfectly.

looked like his plant foot might have slipped on that kick

You guys are really good. You should make some noise and make it easily to the playoff. I think we are looking at around 7-5. I've been to several games up there. 05 OSU was my favorite. Might come up for a game.
Was I okay not to be worried unlike Georgia in 05? lol
But seriously good luck--the more wins you have the better for us

• Haha
Reactions: WV Bruno
Well the refs made the wrong calls on field too 😃
lol--they did but the game is so quick I don't have much of a problem with that as they should fix it on replay
The complaints about the PI calls and the non-horse collar are just people complaining to complain

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT