ADVERTISEMENT

What was the DOJ doing in Iowa? -Tom Brands

I'm otherwise too busy at the moment to find out myself but maybe someone more up to speed can tell me whether Brands is correct when he says the DOJ was involved, or whether this is Brands not understanding the difference between federal and state law enforcement.

My guess is the latter, of course, because my understanding of the case is that the investigation originates from the Iowa AG's office, and I can't imagine why/how the DOJ would/could impose itself here.
I've only ever seen or heard the DOJ mentioned once and that was in Tom's interview. Maybe he WANTS the DOJ to get involved since he claims that the investigation might have been illegal.

Reactions: tikk10
I'm otherwise too busy at the moment to find out myself but maybe someone more up to speed can tell me whether Brands is correct when he says the DOJ was involved, or whether this is Brands not understanding the difference between federal and state law enforcement.

My guess is the latter, of course, because my understanding of the case is that the investigation originates from the Iowa AG's office, and I can't imagine why/how the DOJ would/could impose itself here.
He hasn’t yet mentioned Jack-booted Thugs or Black Helicopters - maybe that’s in the next PC

Reactions: danoftw and tikk10
He is confused a bit but his overall point is pretty simple. Why were Iowa and ISU targeted but not UNI, Drake, or anyone else? Why were only specific sports targeted? The whole thing seems a little odd and there may have been some activities that should have required warrants when no warrants were issued. Brands isn't alone in thinking there were some motives here that were not disclosed through proper channels. Multiple legal experts are questioning what exactly happened as well. Was the law applied equally? Was surveillance used that is only allowed when a warrant exists? Why were only men named in this investigation? I believe young men are far more likely to be doing this stuff than young women, but does this allow authorities to only check for male athletes?
Are UNI, Drake considered public institutions funded by the state? I am ignorant of how Iowa does this. If not, that could be an important distinction wrt the investigation.

Reactions: tikk10
Tom is kinda the everyman of wrestling coaches/dads. Passionate, speaks his mind, love for his kids. Plenty to identify with and appreciate. Then again, that kinda also makes him the Willie Loman of wrestling too--so jealous, impotent, and ultimately, tragically unsuccessful (to his own standard).

Last edited:
Can you score 7? (prior to 3 pt take down).
tom-brands-d27f2b15-1427-463e-8d41-0192e1366a5-resize-750.jpg
Tom, how many years would you prefer your wrestlers stay in the program?

Are UNI, Drake considered public institutions funded by the state? I am ignorant of how Iowa does this. If not, that could be an important distinction wrt the investigation.
UNI is also pubic. Why no women being checked? Why only certain sports? The law was certainly not equally applied here. There will certainly end up being a big civil court settlement at some point. The directive being given to only check for people who happen to be males who play certain sports at certain institutions seems like probably more personal than normal practice.

Tom is kinda the everyman of wrestling coaches/dads. Passionate, speaks his mind, love for his kids. Plenty to identify with and appreciate. Then again, that kinda also makes him the Willie Loman of wrestling too--so jealous, impotent, and ultimately, tragically unsuccessful (to his own standard).
Thanks for the Willy Loman reference. I will have to re-visit Death of a Salesman. I love this Board for the variety of references thrown out there.

UNI is also pubic. Why no women being checked? Why only certain sports? The law was certainly not equally applied here. There will certainly end up being a big civil court settlement at some point. The directive being given to only check for people who happen to be males who play certain sports at certain institutions seems like probably more personal than normal practice.
Asking seriously, not to be snarky, because I haven't followed this closely enough to know. Do we know that there was a explicit "directive" to only check for males and only in certain sports at certain schools? Or is it that they only found violations in those areas?

Reactions: Ski
He is confused a bit but his overall point is pretty simple. Why were Iowa and ISU targeted but not UNI, Drake, or anyone else? Why were only specific sports targeted? The whole thing seems a little odd and there may have been some activities that should have required warrants when no warrants were issued. Brands isn't alone in thinking there were some motives here that were not disclosed through proper channels. Multiple legal experts are questioning what exactly happened as well. Was the law applied equally? Was surveillance used that is only allowed when a warrant exists? Why were only men named in this investigation? I believe young men are far more likely to be doing this stuff than young women, but does this allow authorities to only check for male athletes?

You made some good points here and i don't agree with you much. Absolute B.S. what happend.

I recently brought up the fact that no women were targeted. I was met with a response of "Women don't gamble" LMAO.
Cherry picking all around.

Do you know any females, ages 18 - 23 years old? If so, ask them if they know any college age females that have an on-line sports betting account that they use. I have two girls that just recently graduated and neither of them know any girls that bet on sports.

Last edited:
Asking seriously, not to be snarky, because I haven't followed this closely enough to know. Do we know that there was a explicit "directive" to only check for males and only in certain sports at certain schools? Or is it that they only found violations in those areas?
Yeah they targeted male athletes at Iowa and ISU.

Do you know any females, ages 18 - 23 years old? If so, ask them if they know any college age females that have an on-line sports betting account that they use. I have two girls that just recently graduated and neither of them know any girls that bet of sports.
Lots of girls bet on sports gambling apps now. Look it up

Reactions: Bosox2004
With the disclaimer that I too have not been following too closely: I get that it can seem like certain sports/universities were explicitly targeted, but could it not also have been the result of some sort of tip or something? If the police get a tip that someone in a particular home is dealing drugs, they might seek warrants and whatnot to search or surveil that house. They're not likely to go door to door in that neighborhood to see if anyone else was also dealing drugs, right? Or is that a bad analogy?

With the disclaimer that I too have not been following too closely: I get that it can seem like certain sports/universities were explicitly targeted, but could it not also have been the result of some sort of tip or something? If the police get a tip that someone in a particular home is dealing drugs, they might seek warrants and whatnot to search or surveil that house. They're not likely to go door to door in that neighborhood to see if anyone else was also dealing drugs, right? Or is that a bad analogy?
We don’t know you’re asking the wrong people .

The ROI for the state to sift through the female athletes was probably determined to be very low. Sometimes its not a conspiracy, just Occam's razor.

Lots of girls bet on sports gambling apps now. Look it up

it’s clear … quite clear that young woman now gamble on sports more than ever before.

If one listens to the press conference; brands mentions 56 percent of students bet on sports or some such stat . He is referencing studies done by the NCAA .

He also mentioned they still have 2 appeals left. Atleast that is how I heard it. I for one hope they win one one of those appeals . Sounded like he had the backing of his administration as well.

The kids need to be punished but full year suspensions is absurd , a shame on Assad for playing the victim in his media talk . I can partially blame the coach for that but not much else.

Stating the obvious, brands knows more than he is saying . He is in the meetings discussions that we are not .

If the NCAA really cared about gambling and quote un quote the integrity of college sports I could only imagine the number of athletes that would be banned for a year or more under the current rules if the universities just used the data they already had available to the them.. ie electronic data gathered by all those key strokes one uses when connected to someone elses network . The playing fields and mats would be sparse

Bottom line is there has always been selective prosecution of the law. The Iowa and ISU male athletes got caught and now have to live with the punishment. They are all told the rules.

The defense of everybody else is speeding while you are pulled over by the state trooper sitting in your red sports car isn't going to cut it.

Lots of people cheat on their taxes, only a few get prosecuted, and often they have something in common.

I will amend my earlier statement.

On the positive side to be fair, Tom Brands has:

- Incredible accomplishments on the mat
- An intensity, commitment and motivation second to few
- He oozes passion
- He is oddly likeable
- His results as a coach are better than all but a few
- Possesses a love for this sport that is nearly unequaled

It's just that nagging deficiency

Maybe he spends too much time in the corn field?
You have to love watching Brands jump around like a spider on a hot plate.

Bottom line is there has always been selective prosecution of the law. The Iowa and ISU male athletes got caught and now have to live with the punishment. They are all told the rules.

The defense of everybody else is speeding while you are pulled over by the state trooper sitting in your red sports car isn't going to cut it.

Lots of people cheat on their taxes, only a few get prosecuted, and often they have something in common.
Right. Selective prosecution sounds good to conspiracy theorists but it's next to impossible to prove in practice. b/c plaintiffs have to show discriminatory intent, which can't be inferred merely by the fact that you were charged and someone identically situated wasn't. AGs and DAs don't document their biases in, say, emails. Whenever I see someone cite selective prosecution, I know they have no actual defense.

Whether or not this is true, there's no way for a coach to say this without coming across as whining and excusing. Brands should let others carry out the public fight.
Right. Like terry. Who said he’s gonna single handed Lu reform the ncaa

The only gambling our guys are doing is maybe if one of them gets on the wrong side of a Dodge ball 😂😂😂😂😂

Specific sports were not targeted. Football, baseball, basketball and wrestling were all pinched. From what I read online a few weeks ago is the STATE of IOWA has some specific gambling laws that triggered the investigation.

It's interesting to watch how the different coaches respond to the pressure of winning.

Sanderson vs Brands
Franklin vs Harbaugh

It's real easy to do things the right way when you are winning. Cael has that luxury now, but he still had to do the work to get to this point. You can debate whether Franklin has thrown his assistants under the bus, but he does seem to run his teams the right way despite his record in big games. I'd reluctantly take 10-2 and a clean program every year if the alternative is being Michigan. For Harbaugh and Brands, I guess it's a little too easy to do things the wrong way when you are desperate to win.

When a coach responds this way to his other wrestlers breaking the rules, it just makes it that much more likely that the Ferraris will leave the straight and narrow. And I don't believe for one second that the Ferraris are on the team because the Brands care about them. I remember an ESPN documentary years ago that showed Tom after one of his wrestlers lost. Tom said something like "I don't feel sorry for him at all" as his wrestler was crying right next to him.

It's all about winning for the Brands bros. Watching the Ferrari's over the next few years will probably be a slow moving train wreck.

I guess you could say Franklin threw some assistants under the bus. Some of them should have been thrown on the bus. When was the last time PSU football had the best assistants? Manny Diaz was not thrown under the bus. When we do get top assistants the SEC poaches them. Alabama, LSU and MissSt have poached our assistants. It would be great if PSU could go out and buy an SEC OC. Georgia has three times the recruiting budget and probably pays coaches a lot more too.

PS. I believe Cael is the highest paid wrestling coach. He probably spends the most on recruiting too. Do you think PSU football should follow that blueprint?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT