ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling: Penn State vs. Iowa Match Thread

i don't think real has gassing issues. he's never had them historically and he's only had them this year in the first couple matches back from injury. i also don't think they were nearly as pronounced as some on here made them out to be. he looked fresher than bartlett.
Agree he looked fresher than Bartlett but I recall him gassing in the Iowa state match late and one other match after. But you are right he seemed to be fine against Bartlett so probably just getting back after the injury. I also think Bartlett struggles to put much pressure on guys.

Reactions: Ski
Agree he looked fresher than Bartlett but I recall him gassing in the Iowa state match late and one other match after. But you are right he seemed to be fine against Bartlett so probably just getting back after the injury. I also think Bartlett struggles to put much pressure on guys.
Yep. Bartlett needs to watch the last 12 seconds of his match and try to wrestle more like that earlier. You do have to pace yourself and pick your shots or you will gas, but your pace of shots does need to be fast enough to not be timed with a sun dial.

Reactions: NCPsuFan
There’s been a lot of mostly good natured smack talk on all the relevant threads regarding Iowa vs Penn State, but in all seriousness, I have to give Iowa credit for wrestling tough and making the dual worth watching.

I mentioned this in a previous post, but if someone with the proper connections and political pull made the right effort, I think the Iowa vs Penn State dual could be a major event. There are probably close to 1000 related posts on this board alone and I’m already seeing multiple videos pop up on YouTube. There has to be a way to build up this dual even more than it is now.

he got hit with a nasty throw off his own 2 on 1 by matthews and spent 45 seconds fighting off his back. even so, i didn't think he looked gassed. was still coming forward late. matthews is just almost impossible to come back on with that kind of lead.
They both wrestle the same style and I would argue Matthews is better at it.

Just got in so no time to process everything but here's a few from tonight.

wbaxAXT.jpg

3pGXpQP.jpg

6wmGiX3.jpg
Iowa fan here, but I have to say I love RBY's beat to hell headgear. Reminds me of the nasty pair I wore in high school, which were probably older than me at the time and worn by dozens before me. For some reason I took pride in that worn out, taped up headgear.

Overall, hard fought dual with some exciting, if offensively challenged matches. Congrats on the win, and here's hoping we can ball out and give PSU a run at nationals.

There’s been a lot of mostly good natured smack talk on all the relevant threads regarding Iowa vs Penn State, but in all seriousness, I have to give Iowa credit for wrestling tough and making the dual worth watching.

I mentioned this in a previous post, but if someone with the proper connections and political pull made the right effort, I think the Iowa vs Penn State dual could be a major event. There are probably close to 1000 related posts on this board alone and I’m already seeing multiple videos pop up on YouTube. There has to be a way to build up this dual even more than it is now.
Have a dual at Lucas Oil Stadium. That is close to a halfway point.

Think of all the bridges that could become safe territory again. Everything settled in one place.

their styles are not at all comparable. what are you talking about?
Really neither one does shit but hand fight and score once. I can't even imagine the one point matches these two have wrestled. Actually it wouldn't have mattered what I said you would have disagreed lol. It's just an opinion I don't have to be right all the time it's just an opinion. Lol

Really neither one does shit but hand fight and score once. I can't even imagine the one point matches these two have wrestled. Actually it wouldn't have mattered what I said you would have disagreed lol. It's just an opinion I don't have to be right all the time it's just an opinion. Lol
Woods 1 point matches

22-23 Beat Swiderski 3-2, 1 of 10 matches

21-22 Lost Nick Lee 3-2, Lost 3-2 Seabass, 2 of 21

20-21 Beat Lawrence Saenz 3-2, Beat Angelo Martinoni 3-2, 2 of 9

19-20 Beat Sal Profaci 3-2, Beat Sa’Derian Perry 2-1, Beat Zach Sherman 3-2, 3 of 20

18-19 Redshirt year 0 of 23

Percent of 1 point matches 8 of 83 9.6%, Career bonus rate 56.63%

Bartlett 1 point matches

22-23 0 of 15

21-22 Beat Cory Crooks 1-0, Beat Anthony Artalona 4-3, Lost to Manzona Bryant 6-5, Beat Tristan Lara 4-3, Lost to Mike Van Brill 4-3, Beat Michael Blockhus 3-2, Lost to Mike Van Brill 2-1, Beat Colin Realbuto 5-4, 8 of 25

20-21 0 of 11

Total 1 point matches, 8 of 51, 15.7%. Career bonus rate 25.49%.

Woods 1 point matches

22-23 Beat Swiderski 3-2, 1 of 10 matches

21-22 Lost Nick Lee 3-2, Lost 3-2 Seabass, 2 of 21

20-21 Beat Lawrence Saenz 3-2, Beat Angelo Martinoni 3-2, 2 of 9

19-20 Beat Sal Profaci 3-2, Beat Sa’Derian Perry 2-1, Beat Zach Sherman 3-2, 3 of 20

18-19 Redshirt year 0 of 23

Percent of 1 point matches 8 of 83 9.6%, Career bonus rate 56.63%

Bartlett 1 point matches

22-23 0 of 15

21-22 Beat Cory Crooks 1-0, Beat Anthony Artalona 4-3, Lost to Manzona Bryant 6-5, Beat Tristan Lara 4-3, Lost to Mike Van Brill 4-3, Beat Michael Blockhus 3-2, Lost to Mike Van Brill 2-1, Beat Colin Realbuto 5-4, 8 of 25

20-21 0 of 11

Total 1 point matches, 8 of 51, 15.7%. Career bonus rate 25.49%.
so much for the eye test :)

Yep. Bartlett needs to watch the last 12 seconds of his match and try to wrestle more like that earlier. You do have to pace yourself and pick your shots or you will gas, but your pace of shots does need to be fast enough to not be timed with a sun dial.
Beau once again said all the right things after his match with Woods. Realized he had to pull the trigger, he was worried about tiring himself out in that kind of match and he had way more left and will shoot more next time. He knows everything but every time he steps on the mat, he's still the game guy, that's just reality. Never predicted he'd be the guy that'd fire off shot after shot at 141 but thought the physical factor would allow him to win close more than lose close and that's what's mostly happened this year (granted his only legitimate test has been Woods)

D'Emilio will be a good match (beat him at U23s) but I think Beau should win that controlled in folk. Then he has Olivieri and Rooks who are both solid but once again, I think Beau should win those. Curious how they seed Big Tens, clearly Woods #1 but Hardy has a good argument for #2 over Beau.

Pa will have to tell this one, I'm afraid I'll screw up the delivery..

I heard an interesting rumor on the "coaches poll"
I think @pawrestlersintn heard it as well.
3 ring binder fodder for sure.

So, what better way to motivate your clearly best team in the country than by having someone not acknowledge it in the weekly poll? (Even if that someone happens to be you.)

I think that is what you are alluding to. DEVIOUS!

Reactions: danoftw
Lol. I only posted that because I wanted to be told I'm wrong it's been a while. But seriously to amend my prior statement f..k it I'm not amending shit they both are boring wrestlers who will not even come close to bonusing each other And when that time comes I will place a bet on it
so much for the eye test :)

Lol. I only posted that because I wanted to be told I'm wrong it's been a while. But seriously to amend my prior statement f..k it I'm not amending shit they both are boring wrestlers who will not even come close to bonusing each other And when that time comes I will place a bet on it
"the top 2 returning placers won't bonus each other" is not an interesting observation

Well, here it is.. It would have been better if Pa would have written it. but here we are. This was told to me several parties later and it supposedly came from an insider.
Coaches poll where Iowa had one first place vote. Obviously Tom voted for them to be #1.
Anyhow there was a discussion that they looked like idiots because everyone in the world knew PSU was #1 at that point and he was tired of dealing with the backlash from it..
The 2nd coaches poll TNT voted for PSU and they still got 1 vote.
speculation is Cael is trolling them..
The guy had an Iowa shirt on anyhow..
Some of this may or may not be true.. You believe what you want to..

Well, here it is.. It would have been better if Pa would have written it. but here we are. This was told to me several parties later and it supposedly came from an insider.
Coaches poll where Iowa had one first place vote. Obviously Tom voted for them to be #1.
Anyhow there was a discussion that they looked like idiots because everyone in the world knew PSU was #1 at that point and he was tired of dealing with the backlash from it..
I do believe Cael enjoys trolling the twins. I also believe Cael does little things to tweak his own team's mind.

Reactions: danoftw
So, what better way to motivate your clearly best team in the country than by having someone not acknowledge it in the weekly poll? (Even if that someone happens to be you.)

I think that is what you are alluding to. DEVIOUS!
Actually, that can be an add-on benefit.

Tom gave the weekly coaching poll responsibilities to Terry. Terry, unable to admit that PSU is clearly the best team in the country, placed his vote for Iowa. When the PIHs (paid Iowa haters) got ahold of it, they began hammering Tom and Terry online about how ridiculous they look being the only coaches voting for someone other than PSU, that it's petty, blah, blah, blah. So, in the very same week that Tom convinced Terry to change his vote to PSU so they could save face, Cael somehow found out, and placed his vote for Iowa. Check and mate.

Cael leaves Tom and Terry continuing to look like petty imbeciles, while getting the team bulletin board material that you speak of.

And, that, my friends, is how rumors get started.

You gotta give me more than two hours. Sheesh. Now, we've cross-posted, but that means that it is now written on the internet twice, and we all know what that means.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT