ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling: Penn State vs. Iowa Match Thread

me too. I think he's the guy at 141...
I remember watching Woods at the Scuffle when he was redshirting in 2019. Gave Nick Lee a tough match. Based on what I thought I saw then, I’m a little surprised he’s been “only” R12 and 6th in two trips to NCAAs. I have to think working with Cenzo/Koll for a year and now TnT has only helped. And he’s got this year and another to put it it all together.

I was just about to say the same thing. I have no idea how he came out of that position like he did. I thought he was in big trouble as soon as he turned back in and especially once Cobe lifted him. Super impressive wrestling by both guys
Almost Bo-Like…close, but Levi will get there!

IMHO, anyone with a problem with Arnold’s tweet should look through what they’ve posted on these boards about Iowa, Iowa wrestlers, Tom, Terry, Ohio State, OkSt, Rutgers, etc. first. (If you’re one that doesn’t go there, then okay.)
giphy.gif

Agreed. Except for the part about enjoying the beauty of the battle during each match. I'm good after it's over, but I get too nervous during close bouts knowing the simplest of miscalculations, mistakes, or even flukes can flip the outcome at this level of wrestling. That's one of the reasons these PSU/Iowa duals are so stressful for me to watch in real time. Each side comes to battle, brings their hammers, and believes they can win.

As for fanbase preferences and predictions of bonus point wins/etc, I'm reminded of the quote attributed to Mike Tyson: “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.” As enthusiastic fans, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that our guy's opponent has a say in how the battle unfolds.
Or said another way, "No plan survives first contact with the enemy."

Agreed. Except for the part about enjoying the beauty of the battle during each match. I'm good after it's over, but I get too nervous during close bouts knowing the simplest of miscalculations, mistakes, or even flukes can flip the outcome at this level of wrestling. That's one of the reasons these PSU/Iowa duals are so stressful for me to watch in real time. Each side comes to battle, brings their hammers, and believes they can win.

As for fanbase preferences and predictions of bonus point wins/etc, I'm reminded of the quote attributed to Mike Tyson: “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.” As enthusiastic fans, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that our guy's opponent has a say in how the battle unfolds.
Zain had a better one so what if you know what I am gonna do,you can't stop me!!

i wouldn't go that far. parris was wrestling with a significant injury all last season. he had a notable downturn in his results against all past opponents, not just kerk. i still like kerk, but parris is gonna be a dog fight all year.
everyone has injuries at the end of the yr so did Kerk

Is that why he was called for stalling? LMAO. Your little punk hero was called for as many stalls as points he scored... and that little beatch clown dance he did after losing was oh so impressive.
I like it when gibbons say he is presenting himself staying in the middle of the mat,I dont care where he is if he is not trying so score then its stalling!

I am not retired but do work from home so I can post freely. Mainly here because it’s more interesting than HR. More actual wrestling discussion instead of fans of the same team disparaging each other over and over. It does happen some here but not as much. Not denying Penn St is better but it is fun to call out the obvious biased posters who have no clue what they are talking about. Probably a little lame but it keeps me entertained.

This is literally why PSU guys post on HR.

Holding center is freestlye not folkstyle, no attempt a single shot is stalling no matter where you stand on the mat. Which is of course why the angry birds on HR want freestyle rules. Thats Iowa wrestling ( push club push). We can all pray we never see that happen or we will see wrestling fall to a really niche sport like field hockey rowing cross country ect..

alirez looks amazing right now but he always seems to implode at the end of the year so who knows.
I have Alirez the favorite at 141. He’s absolutely destroying people right now. In the past he has looked great and then had a few head scratchers but so far this year he’s been consistent. Being healthy also plays a big part in that. Will be interesting to see if he can keep it going through the national tournament

Only thing I think that's holding Woods back from winning 141 is not gassing during a 3 day tournament. He didn't have tank issues against Bartlett so it's improving. He also looked pretty big (and long) so the cut might be kind of tough.

I almost see a little bit of Beard in him, he expends a lot of energy attempting a turn in the first and is gassed in the third as a result and maybe he'll learn to pace himself better.

Reactions: NCPsuFan
Only thing I think that's holding Woods back from winning 141 is not gassing during a 3 day tournament. He didn't have tank issues against Bartlett so it's improving. He also looked pretty big (and long) so the cut might be kind of tough.

I almost see a little bit of Beard in him, he expends a lot of energy attempting a turn in the first and is gassed in the third as a result and maybe he'll learn to pace himself better.
i don't think real has gassing issues. he's never had them historically and he's only had them this year in the first couple matches back from injury. i also don't think they were nearly as pronounced as some on here made them out to be. he looked fresher than bartlett.

Reactions: Fatmarc

Sadly, I don’t think Beau attacked enough to make Woods’ gas tank an issue. Next time, though.

i don't think real has gassing issues. he's never had them historically and he's only had them this year in the first couple matches back from injury. i also don't think they were nearly as pronounced as some on here made them out to be. he looked fresher than bartlett.
Part of it was him wrestling better opponents obviously but I saw a few people mentioned he looked kind of gassed starting from Nick Lee on last year when he semi slid.

Everybody looks gassed while and after wrestling Nick Lee.
Yup IIRC a blood time stoppage might have saved him. He got out right at 59 seconds of Nick's RT when he was dying on bottom. But he was never close to taking Nick down IIRC.

He got turned by Matthews first period though.

Yup IIRC a blood time stoppage might have saved him. He got out right at 59 seconds of Nick's RT when he was dying on bottom. But he was never close to taking Nick down IIRC.

He got turned by Matthews first period though.
he got hit with a nasty throw off his own 2 on 1 by matthews and spent 45 seconds fighting off his back. even so, i didn't think he looked gassed. was still coming forward late. matthews is just almost impossible to come back on with that kind of lead.

Just back from attending the match and a few observations. Lots of great thoughts already in this thread so I'll try to not repeat them.

First, if I'm Cael, I'm pissed about the Iowa match. The only 'A's for effort I'd give are to RBY, Levi, Aaron, and Kerk. I feel like Cael wouldn't be as concerned with the lack of TDs as the lack of attacks/effort. Getting TDs can be very difficult at this level of competition but the overall lack of attempts is what I think makes Cael upset. You don't consistently score unless you shoot and we weren't aggressive enough. I don't think I've seen a PSU match with less scrambles in a decade!

Unfortunately, I don't feel that Iowa stalled any more than we did. Both sides had lots of hand fighting, lots of snap downs, lots of parallel riding, etc. We were pretty much equally ineffective with our offenses. I did not expect that at all.

Iowa came to wrestle. I was sitting right behind their bench and they were focused, motivated, and ready to go. Probably most impressed with Murin. I didn't think he had the technique to stay with SVN but I was wrong. If someone had told me Murin would take more shots than SVN I would have told them they were on crack. For those wondering about Warner's warmups, he spent the entire 174 and 184 matches pacing back and forth in front of the Iowa bench staring straight ahead and getting himself fired up. Everybody was staying out of his way, LOL. The Iowa wrestlers who showed the most emotion after their matches were Teske and Warner. Both were pretty upset when they lost.

SVN and Facundo are going to be just fine. They need these experiences to learn and grow and will be ready come Big Ten. Freshman wrestlers are always a wildcard no matter their HS 'rank'. There are so many situations and styles thrown at them that it takes a while to get your feet completely under you. What wins for you in HS often doesn't work as well in college and you have to broaden your techniques. Wrestlers like Nickal, Nolf, Taylor are generational talents and their level of excellence as freshmen should not be the comparison point.

Beau needs a wake-up call. He's better than what he showed and just doesn't seem confident to let it fly against the best. He won't do well with that approach at NCAAs.

Ohio State will be a good test for our guys. We'll get to see how underclassmen who lost respond and whether the team can stay focused after a big team win. Also another big test for Levi.

I can't wait!

. . . Ohio State will be a good test for our guys. We'll get to see how underclassmen who lost respond and whether the team can stay focused after a big team win. Also another big test for Levi.
But in seriousness, I agree that Ohio St presents some intrigue.

• Bartlett has test, regardless of D’Emilio’s ranking.
• SVN is up against it.
• Haines, as you point to, has a rematch against a guy coming off a big win
• Facundo goes up against a tough guy who just took a tough loss
• Dean was challenged by Hoffman last year — could it happen again?

This dual has potential to be more entertaining than the one vs. Iowa.

• SVN is up against it.

Sasso is having a decent year and no, im not betting on SVN again, but I’ll give him a slight chance. His losses have all been to top 10 guys, he’s bound too get a big win sometime.

In the brief post match presser, Cael said Steen was banged up a bit after last week.

Really loved Vespa’s Carson Kuhn impersonation at the start. Kind of mind-boggling that Lee, whom HR has told us is the GOAT, couldn’t put a pinning combination together against the 3rd string PSU guy knowing every point was crucial.
Banged up maybe. Seems to me as soon as you knew Spencer rolled out at 125, you throw out a person there world, including Spencer, has never seen with instructions to hit a low ankle at the whistle and see what happens. Nothing to lose and gained a point in the process. $10 says he’s been practicing all week “SHOOT!!! Avoid PIN”.

That is a completely different approach than you might have with Steen. And Steen is simply not going to handle the power Lee has to offer.

It worked and we gained a point in the process.

Reactions: ccdiver and Ski

• SVN is up against it.

It probably will. They aren’t being told to stall their way around a mat.

Sasso is having a decent year and no, im not betting on SVN again, but I’ll give him a slight chance. His losses have all been to top 10 guys, he’s bound too get a big win sometime.
He could beat Sasso, but he would have to shoot through the hands, not to them. It has been a while since I have seen him shoot through instead of to the hands. I bet in last the 4 matches it woukd take both hands to count up his number of half shots. Most of them were good enough shots that had he been shooting to the leg he would have had it.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
The other BB (Berge) also wrestled close to the vest and is why he lost a few matches - late takedowns. I like Levi as his style and ability is to not to wait until the end... Our other Frost and BB will be ok... they'll get it. They were up against the #2 team - they came, they learned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT