ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling: Penn State vs. Iowa Match Thread

What weight is your girlfriend JS?
exercise running GIF

Reactions: Grass
I like to see offensive wrestling as much as the next guy. But when you get to this level, it’s a lot harder. Guys aren’t just going to do something outside their skill set so the fans can enjoy points being scored because the points scored would go against them.
The best guys score.

You expect them to fare better than Iowa against you this Friday?

I expect PSU wins at 133, 141, 157, 174, 184, 197, HWT.

Sasso is too much for SVN at this point. Same with Kharchla against Facundo. That said, Kharchla wrestles in a not-very-smart way more often than TanTom would like. 125, we’ll see.

Sasso is too much for SVN at this point. Same with Kharchla against Facundo. That said, Kharchla wrestles in a not-very-smart way more often than TanTom would like. 125, we’ll see.
So not better. Thanks.

Kharchla yesterday got pinned by Amine (in OT), so who knows. Maybe the gameplan is drag him into SV and then take your chances with Buckeye conditioning.

Not surprised Murin brought it. Homecoming and 'a show the PSU fans what they missed' mentality. Good for him.
Missed what. Won nationals without him last year. He wouldn’t have made a difference the year before & in fact didn’t make a difference for Iowa either.

Kharchla yesterday got pinned by Amine (in OT), so who knows. Maybe the gameplan is drag him into SV and then take your chances with Buckeye conditioning.

The dude looks massive for 165 and really should go 174 when Smith is gone next year. That cut has to be crazy.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if TanTom starts in the back half of the weights to give him more time to recover.

no idea how haines didn't give up nearfall there. that was unreal.
I was just about to say the same thing. I have no idea how he came out of that position like he did. I thought he was in big trouble as soon as he turned back in and especially once Cobe lifted him. Super impressive wrestling by both guys

Reactions: js8793
I was just about to say the same thing. I have no idea how he came out of that position like he did. I thought he was in big trouble as soon as he turned back in and especially once Cobe lifted him. Super impressive wrestling by both guys
Yeah this was one of the most exciting matches to me. I love Haines and I’m really high on him being incredible. But I’m probably higher on Cobe than most Iowa fans. A lot of them rip him on their board for getting pinned. To me, he lets it fly. Hes not afraid of anyone. He’s out of the norm for the typical head pounding, hand fighting Iowa fans are used to. They will learn to appreciate this kid. If not, it’s a shame.

Bushwoods routine is the one that’s gotten old. He was wrong about everything and is doubling down with nonsense. Making this board look like HR. Thank god for the ignore button
not only did we predict the match result, but we predicted exactly how he would melt down afterward and he STILL went and did it anyway lmao

he is legitimately as stupid as the worst HR poster

Is it me or is Facundo a huge 165! He looked like Zahid wrestling at 174 where he looked twice the size of Mark. I thought Kennedy looked like a baby out there! Alex is strong and great defensive wrestler with a one of the best gas tanks on the team. Kennedy was dead on his feet. I just don't see why he didn't blast into him. Kennedy would have gone with any decent full commitment shot. He blew that match but he will learn. I think the next match against Kennedy will ALOT different! I wish Zain could have suited up for one more match and put that little bitch Murin in a bow and arrow!!! SVN needed to keep shooting but he shut down!! Murin was dead on his feet as well!
You’re overstating things a bit. Both facundo and SVN didn’t shoot because they were gassed. Tough matches so it’s understandable but they had nothing left in the tank to keep shooting.

Reactions: Grass
Here's my thought re: Gabe Arnold.

He is not the first misguided adolescent blue chipper to over estimate his impact on the Iowa program, or the program's impact on him.

Just ask Marinelli, Warner and Kemerer. History will repeat.
Arnold's a bum
This is what I think of Arnold

Thought it was a good match. Forgot how Amine slaps the face as much as he does. I could only take that for 15 secs before I'd give him a real SHOT ( guess that's why I never wrestled. :)

Wanted to do this earlier but just now getting around to it:

125 Vespa vs Lee: Vespa came out and did what a lot of top guys don't do. He went after Spencer. Like Cael said, he provided a lot of excitement there for a second. Taking Spencer down, and locking up a cradle obviously is not something that happens often. Kudos to Vespa for going after it. Spencer is just on a different level, especially on top.

133 RBY vs Teske: Not going to lie, I was worried. I think every PSU fan out there was counting on bonus from RBY. We all knew 41,49,57,65 were all toss ups, and could even throw 97 and hwt in there. So I was hoping to have a little extra insurance, and momentum going into those matches. Just when I thought the dual got tougher, RBY proves why he's not only a 2x defending champ, but a hodge contender. Teske wrestled smart except for one bad shot at an extremely bad time. I think there's a little room familiarity there which is probably a reason the match was close for that long. If you rewatch, you can see Teske step out of RBY's shot a few times knowing the set up.

141 BB vs Woods: While some may have thought this match was on the boring side after the headlock, I thought it was a great tactical match by both sides. I would have liked to seen BB push a little more and keep the match at a higher pace. I think if they meet again, that could be a focal point. I do think weathering the storm in the first is a necessity, but after that, the hands and feet really need to be moving to make Woods react. I don't see much separation between the two, and definitely think BB is well within striking range. Hopefully we get the rematch.

149 SVN vs Murin: I thought at first Murin was going to play right into SVN's game, but it didn't turn out like that. Murin did a good job of down blocking and slowing Van Ness down. SVN getting rode was the turning point as it took a lot of steam out. Another match that is definitely winnable and with a few adjustments goes our way. I think simply getting off bottom within a minute and the match is different. Congrats to Murin on winning in front of what I am sure were a lot of family and friends.

157 Levi vs Cobe: The reins have come off Haines. Watching Cobe in previous matches, he's dangerous. Watching him get in to scrambles and coming out on top with his opponent on his back is not all that uncommon. I even thought it was going to happen to Levi on the one mat return, but Levi did a tremendous job rolling through and throwing a whizzer while getting his hips parallel to the mat. This was the fourth match in a row, Iowa was really able to slow us down with their hand fighting a positioning. This will definitely be a point of emphasis moving forward of clearing ties and creating angles. Congrats to Levi for winning his first "official" match.

165 Facundo vs Kennedy: Call this match 5 with the hand fighting going Iowa's way. More familiarity than most of the other matches but closer than WNO. Would like to see more committed attacks, but what a great display of defense. Another well within striking distance. This weight is an absolute mess to seed and it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

174 CStar vs Brands: I honestly did not anticipate bonus here. However, I did anticipate more of a gap. Nelson wrestled a smart match from whistle to whistle and never let CStar get into his rhythm. After the first, I thought CStar would just put on a devastating ride, but Nelson was even able to get away. I was never worried about an upset, and I even think that match will never be that close again. I could have done without the antics at the end. Once you lose, shake hands and walk off. You're wrestling didn't do the talking, so there's no need for any extra antics.

184 Brooks vs Rhodes: Disappointed we didn't see Assad here. For those calling it a duck, I don't see it. Assad has nothing to lose, but a lot to gain if he toes the line. A loss to the number 1 kid in the country shouldn't have any repercussions on his seed, but if he wins, he should move up heavily. Not much to say with Brooks, he wrestled a guy that is atleast a weight class below, some say two. He did what he should have done, and started to calm those down who may have been nervous.

197 Dean vs Warner: National finals rematch and Dean looked the part we needed him to. He was good in all three positions, and when he decided to commit to the ride, that was it. Will most likely see this one at least one more time, and if Dean wrestles the same, I expect the same results.

HWT Kerk vs Cass: Coming in to the final bout, Iowa was still within striking distance. A pin and Iowa wins on criteria. But Kerk has shown that this year is different than last year. A beautiful snatch single, a good ride, and a good win. Another match I'm guessing we see at least one more time this year. Cass will see Parris Feb 10th, and if he wins, this will be another weight that is crazy to seed at BIGs.

Great team win, looking forward to some of the rematches.

We Are!

@jmadden1998 and @js8793 I’m assuming you are both retired because the amount of time you spent on this board the last 24 hrs I know you’re not working (I’m jealous).

What is it you both want? To hear Iowa is the clear #2? I’ll say it..you are clear #2.

Now maybe take a breather and relax..

Js and jm are reasonable posters. IMHO, these guys contribute well to our forum.

My take…I think we are seeing a lot more parity among not only the top programs but all Div 1 wrestling. It’s more difficult than ever to score against guys who are good at all 3 positions. The digital age, rtcs, and the clubs/training facilities are producing athletes who know how to defend and funk.

Sure the dual wasn’t as flashy as many hoped for but that’s bc the talent and top level coaching is spread more evenly now and readily available if athletes have the means.

Add in NIL and transfer portal changes and you have a lot of things changing in the recruiting landscape compared to 5+ years ago. The parity is a good and a bad. We get highly competitive matches but lose out on some dominant performances.

Example Nolf was dominant and if I remember correctly Starocci beat him at the world team trials a few years ago. I was surprised by that result. The current crop coming through are tough and tough to score on. Many very evenly matched. Not everyone is going to be a point scoring machine. But as long as they find a way to win I will still be having FUN!

Reactions: nitlion6
Love all the feedback on here post match, but some are a bit negative for my taste. I agree there were some negatives, but my takeaways:

Vespa locked up a cradle on Lee and was going for a pin seconds into the match. Spencer not getting a pin was a massive boost;
Levi shed the redshirt and had a great victory;
RBY had a huge pin, great bounce back after the UM match;
Max and CStar had ferocious rides and found a way to win;
Brooks punished the Iowa backup
Kerk had an awesome win over Cass;
We have 3 stud freshmen who look to be future stars
The future is so bright I gotta wear shades 😎
Positive: Kerk is clear 1 or 2 in the nation...Dean won't lose to Warner again...Brooks is back as the 1..Carter now sees Brands for what he is and will adjust to avoid any problems...Haines is coming up faster than thought. And rby is still the man.

Negative...Bartlett has nothing for Woods right now ..Van Ness looked poor against Murin I thought...and Facundo had zero offense

Js and jm are reasonable posters. IMHO, these guys contribute well to our forum.
I agree. I have fun with them. It brings a little levity to the forum. I don't know what they were arguing about as I have Bushwood on ignore (they should try that). But I got that there was some kind of monetary bet. That is a shame as I was taught not to take advantage of the mentally challenged.
QdRm7bnBmVMkedZx8G_vLhDlhUlOzsAxnDoDRnQxba9dHDZ23ySB2B0XSCR3pM5FstCnBPi3mcjc2rIf3Ovo06LmLxtXkr8U3AM10hvh4nJRSS4nyBmnmeafO3UFOWBc2Le0ReuoRWj8xZhEKXiiL1UeDy05Ez4Vs4BotR4=s0-d-e1-ft

Is it me or is Facundo a huge 165! He looked like Zahid wrestling at 174 where he looked twice the size of Mark. I thought Kennedy looked like a baby out there! Alex is strong and great defensive wrestler with a one of the best gas tanks on the team. Kennedy was dead on his feet. I just don't see why he didn't blast into him. Kennedy would have gone with any decent full commitment shot. He blew that match but he will learn. I think the next match against Kennedy will ALOT different! I wish Zain could have suited up for one more match and put that little bitch Murin in a bow and arrow!!! SVN needed to keep shooting but he shut down!! Murin was dead on his feet as well!
Bottom line is our young guys just need more dodgeball practice.

the gabe arnold talk reminds me of the story askren told about the psu recruit sitting behind him at the ohio state dual telling his friends all the things bo nickal was “doing wrong.” meanwhile bo was dominating myles martin. askren said he wanted to turn around and tell him he was an idiot. he later confirmed it was carter starocci.

high school kids are high school kids.
Well, Bo did only win three titles...

giphy.gif

After last night I think the likelihood the Hawks finish second this year is greater than I originally thought. A champ and anywhere from 5 to 7 (great tournament) AAs. This could be the year you guys are finally good enough to be Penn State's runner-up.
If I was picking my pool right now I'd have Real Woods winning 141.

Ayala wrestled 133 this weekend. Won an open. Is he trying out for the postseason spot?

And I’ll add that we would all have loved to see our guys take 9 out of 10. Iowa fans can take some positives from the match. That will just make March all the sweeter, when we crush their spirits.
Appreciate both of your posts. I had similar thoughts...

Reactions: Ja1339
IMHO, anyone with a problem with Arnold’s tweet should look through what they’ve posted on these boards about Iowa, Iowa wrestlers, Tom, Terry, Ohio State, OkSt, Rutgers, etc. first. (If you’re one that doesn’t go there, then okay.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT