ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling: Penn State vs. Iowa Match Thread

So, some whining tonight from the PSU faithful because it wasn't as easy as some had thought, but PSU takes 6 of 10, they win 3 of 6 toss-ups, they get an unexpected pin and they avoid what most believed was a guaranteed pin at 125. I can live with it. Sure, would have preferred that we take 141, 149 and 165, but nothing that occurred tonight makes me think that those guys can't or won't win in a rematch.

And, while you really want both teams to be at full strength and Iowa was without Assad tonight, it made ZERO difference in the dual's outcome. Nobody thought Assad could or would beat Brooks and there's some reason to think that Brooks may have majored Assad too, so.......Both teams came to wrestle and did their best. Some of the Iowa guys worked harder and looked a little better than I thought, but PSU has a better team and better individual wrestlers.
Damn you and your reasonableness.
Seems Pretty Reasonable Pop Tv GIF by Big Brother After Dark

When I was a kid if you weren't out to the side and at the least working towards a turn you were top stalling. I know what I "think" is top stalling, today it isn't. However, I don't think I woukd say the rules allow top stalling.
Yep. Coaches would scream “parallel ride” at the ref.

Reactions: nitlion6
@jmadden1998 and @js8793 I’m assuming you are both retired because the amount of time you spent on this board the last 24 hrs I know you’re not working (I’m jealous).

What is it you both want? To hear Iowa is the clear #2? I’ll say it..you are clear #2.

Now maybe take a breather and relax..
Agreed. Iowa is clearly a #2.

cant wait to listen to initiate contact so they can say how they got cheated and should have had all pins!

@jmadden1998 and @js8793 I’m assuming you are both retired because the amount of time you spent on this board the last 24 hrs I know you’re not working (I’m jealous).

What is it you both want? To hear Iowa is the clear #2? I’ll say it..you are clear #2.

I am not retired but do work from home so I can post freely. Mainly here because it’s more interesting than HR. More actual wrestling discussion instead of fans of the same team disparaging each other over and over. It does happen some here but not as much. Not denying Penn St is better but it is fun to call out the obvious biased posters who have no clue what they are talking about. Probably a little lame but it keeps me entertained.

I am not retired but do work from home so I can post freely. Mainly here because it’s more interesting than HR. More actual wrestling discussion instead of fans of the same team disparaging each other over and over. It does happen some here but not as much. Not denying Penn St is better but it is fun to call out the obvious biased posters who have no clue what they are talking about. Probably a little lame but it keeps me entertained.
Don’t get me wrong. I like that you post here. But just seems a little out of character for both of you the last 24 hrs..

Correct by rule. The top man’s first initiative is to keep the bottom man down. It is all that is required.

If the bottom man does not want a so-called stall ride, then he should escape from that stall ride.
a few yrs back Zain was crushing some kid in the 3rd period and the ref called him for stalling on top!!WTF

Don’t get me wrong. I like that you post here. But just seems a little out of character for both of you the last 24 hrs..
It was mainly the outrageous predictions throughout the week. Some were so adamant and after explaining why the odds didn’t favor anything near what they were predicting we needed to give them a “told you so”. All in good fun.

^^ This. It was the right thing to do under the circumstances. Facundo's offense is solid, but right now it's neutralized by the better wrestlers. It'll come, these are the tweaks this coaching staff is know for.
Is it me or is Facundo a huge 165! He looked like Zahid wrestling at 174 where he looked twice the size of Mark. I thought Kennedy looked like a baby out there! Alex is strong and great defensive wrestler with a one of the best gas tanks on the team. Kennedy was dead on his feet. I just don't see why he didn't blast into him. Kennedy would have gone with any decent full commitment shot. He blew that match but he will learn. I think the next match against Kennedy will ALOT different! I wish Zain could have suited up for one more match and put that little bitch Murin in a bow and arrow!!! SVN needed to keep shooting but he shut down!! Murin was dead on his feet as well!

Is it me or is Facundo a huge 165! He looked like Zahid wrestling at 174 where he looked twice the size of Mark. I thought Kennedy looked like a baby out there! Alex is strong and great defensive wrestler with a one of the best gas tanks on the team. Kennedy was dead on his feet. I just don't see why he didn't blast into him. Kennedy would have gone with any decent full commitment shot. He blew that match but he will learn. I think the next match against Kennedy will ALOT different! I wish Zain could have suited up for one more match and put that little bitch Murin in a bow and arrow!!! SVN needed to keep shooting but he shut down!! Murin was dead on his feet as well!
Now….

Agreed. Iowa is clearly a #2.
Yeah, that's what everybody thought last year. Turned out Michigan was the legitimate second best team.
Of course, who can ever forget Coach Ryan had his 2018 Buckeye team trained to peak at the right time and will forever be the "BEST" second place team.

Reactions: danoftw
consider the context. we made reasonable, factually based (and ultimately correct) predictions and received an insane insult ridden response from several of your posters. so it’s pretty reasonable for us to want to throw it in their face afterwards. all in good fun.

and i’m far from retired unfortunately. i work full time but my schedule is mon-thu so i was free all day yesterday. plus, it was my girlfriend’s first big dual so we were fired up all day.

Hard to feel good about this win. Anybody concerned about losing the total match point battle and we had guys pick individual matches wrong. Is it time to give some of our back-up posters a shot? Was looking forward to wearing my WHAT WE DO T-shirt today, but had to dig out my University of Central Missouri Mules gear instead.

Hard to feel good about this win. Anybody concerned about losing the total match point battle and we had guys pick individual matches wrong. Is it time to give some of our back-up posters a shot? Was looking forward to wearing my WHAT WE DO T-shirt today, but had to dig out my University of Central Missouri Mules gear instead.
We lost match point by criteria, not actual points scored. RBY's match was 6-2 with riding time secured when he took Teske to his back for the pin, but none of these points are included in the "criteria" match points. Had Teske gotten out of the cradle RBY would have had 13 points with time left to wrestle.

New T-shirt idea?
Front- PSU Wrestling
overrated……
He said what he said
Back- listed concert T-shirt style
Penn St Overrated Tour
2011 Philadelphia
2012 St Louis
2013 Des Moines
2014 Oklahoma City
2016 New York
2017 St Louis
2018 Cleveland
2019 Pittsburgh
2022 Detroit
2023 Tulsa
That's awesome!!

Reactions: Creek Side
the gabe arnold talk reminds me of the story askren told about the psu recruit sitting behind him at the ohio state dual telling his friends all the things bo nickal was “doing wrong.” meanwhile bo was dominating myles martin. askren said he wanted to turn around and tell him he was an idiot. he later confirmed it was carter starocci.

high school kids are high school kids.

Just a take on a few things.

First. For those who think duals don't matter. You needed to ser Cael's response to Max Dean walking off the mat. Smiling, back slapping and yelling in Max's ear. Pure emotion from the man who rarely shows it.

Second. While I love making fun of Iowa's wrestling style, they wrestled their collective asses off last night and it was (at least for me) a fun match to watch. Yeah, there weren't many DT, Zain, Jason or Bo moments but I watched kids from both sides give not an inch and fight tooth and nail trying to win a singular dual meet match. The intensity in the building I thought was palpable.

The 125 PSU kid letting it fly.
Teske fighting to maintain his positioning and giving RBY nothing, right until RBY got him moving a hair out of position and BAM.
Woods shooting off the whistle, Beau damn near sticking him. Woods moving forward with the lead, not giving Beau room to attack.
Max, fighting SVN and being the one shooting when he had the riding time point for the lead.
Levi, just continuing to attack. Even after almost getting tossed, Levi just keeps on a coming. As someone pointed out, that needs to become his walkout tune.
Kennedy and Alex. Kennedy kept his hands out and low and then when they moved into tie-ups Kennedy woukd come in aggressively and with an undertook of his own. Successfully keeping Alex away from his legs and prefered ties. Alex wrestled a really hard fought match, Kennedy wrestled a slightly better match.
Carter. Yes I expected a handful of takedowns and a bonus, but when that wasn't going to be the result he buckled down and ground on Brands. Brands didn't just lay there getting ground up, he kept fighting to get out until he succeeded.
Aaron did what he should do in that situation except maybe once up by 12 or 13 work it for a fall.
Max and Warner, again two studs just freaking grinding on each other. At 39 seconds of riding time before Max did whatever he did to get both of them rolling backwards it could have easily been Warner accumulating riding time. Then when it was Max on top he did what he does, grind harder.
Greg was not giving an inch and wrestled his ass off to secure the win.

Fans who could not enjoy the simplicity of the straight up strategy of two great programs trying to outgrind the other. That is a shame, because it was a fun phucking match to watch!

consider the context. we made reasonable, factually based (and ultimately correct) predictions and received an insane insult ridden response from several of your posters. so it’s pretty reasonable for us to want to throw it in their face afterwards. all in good fun.

and i’m far from retired unfortunately. i work full time but my schedule is mon-thu so i was free all day yesterday. plus, it was my girlfriend’s first big dual so we were fired up all day.
Did you attend?

Reactions: hlstone

After watching the Bucknuts last night, I’m thinking the Hawkeyes run at number 2 is set to expire after this season.

First. For those who think duals don't matter. You needed to ser Cael's response to Max Dean walking off the mat. Smiling, back slapping and yelling in Max's ear. Pure emotion from the man who rarely shows it.

Second. While I love making fun of Iowa's wrestling style, they wrestled their collective asses off last night and it was (at least for me) a fun match to watch. Yeah, there weren't many DT, Zain, Jason or Bo moments but I watched kids from both sides give not an inch and fight tooth and nail trying to win a singular dual meet match. The intensity in the building I thought was palpable.

Teske fighting to maintain his positioning and giving RBY nothing, right until RBY got him moving a hair out of position and BAM.
Woods shooting off the whistle, Beau damn near sticking him. Woods moving forward with the lead, not giving Beau room to attack.
Max, fighting SVN and being the one shooting when he had the riding time point for the lead.
Levi, just continuing to attack. Even after almost getting tossed, Levi just keeps on a coming. As someone pointed out, that needs to become his walkout tune.
Kennedy and Alex. Kennedy kept his hands out and low and then when they moved into tie-ups Kennedy woukd come in aggressively and with an undertook of his own. Successfully keeping Alex away from his legs and prefered ties. Alex wrestled a really hard fought match, Kennedy wrestled a slightly better match.
Carter. Yes I expected a handful of takedowns and a bonus, but when that wasn't going to be the result he buckled down and ground on Brands. Brands didn't just lay there getting ground up, he kept fighting to get out until he succeeded.
Aaron did what he should do in that situation except maybe once up by 12 or 13 work it for a fall.
Max and Warner, again two studs just freaking grinding on each other. At 39 seconds of riding time before Max did whatever he did to get both of them rolling backwards it could have easily been Warner accumulating riding time. Then when it was Max on top he did what he does, grind harder.

Fans who could not enjoy the simplicity of the straight up strategy of two great programs trying to outgrind the other. That is a shame, because it was a fun phucking match to watch!
great post

Well said. While I'm sure both fanbases would have much preferred some higher scores all around, I really enjoyed the beauty of the battle in each individual match. I don't think the effort or desire should really be questioned for any of the 20 athletes last night

After watching the Bucknuts last night, I’m thinking the Hawkeyes run at number 2 is set to expire after this season.
Exactly. The Hawk fans better get used to finishing 3rd or 4th after this year, despite what Gabe Arnold thinks.

Reactions: danoftw
Exactly. The Hawk fans better get used to finishing 3rd or 4th after this year, despite what Gabe Arnold thinks.
We haven’t finished 2nd since 2015, in fact that is the only time in the last 12 years we finished second. We have finished 3rd or 4th more times than 2nd. So you could say we are used to it.

2022 3rd
2021 1st
2020 N/A
2019 4th
2018 3rd
2017 4th
2016 5th
2015 2nd
2014 4th
2013 4th
2012 3rd
2011 3rd

Last edited:
Iowa wrestled well last night, I figured PSU would have at least split 141-165.

Yes Iowa fans, Nelson Brands held it to a decision just like many of us PSU fans predicted. He has perfected the art of looking busy while doing absolutely nothing, congrats.

Crazy moment early on, I just got done explaining to my daughter and her boyfriend (first dual for both) how 125 would be ugly and our guy would not get out of the first period, then Vespa comes out and takes Spencer down and cradles him, lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT