ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling: Penn State vs. Iowa Match Thread

it was literally the easiest prediction ever lmao. a guy who doesnt bonus ranked wrestlers vs a ranked wrestler who never gives up bonus. but even i expected at least a takedown.

if you guys have any other questions about wrestling feel free to ask one of your local hawk experts @jrod65 @jmadden1998 @sstark46
Have you figured out the behind standing rule yet?

two great (stall) rides from starocci and dean. such a great tool for winning these tight matches. opens up another path to victory and the rules allow it.
So what you are saying is by rule stalling is allowed? I thought you were the self appointed expert?

And he’s not aware that scores change? Did he not get they wrestle 10 matches?
Have you seriously never gotten ahead of yourself as a fan? I have been very excited watching PSU get leads on OSU, only to be disappointed with the final results. He is a high school kid, that you are judging on one tweet. It says more about you than him.

Reactions: sstark46
Last night, Iowa specifically, is why I've become a freestyle fan. Watching Iowa is like watching old UNC games playing the 4 corners offense. It's also why wrestlers go to Penn State. You're not scoring points on Brands or his teammates when all they do is clinch. It's systemic in their wrestling approach.

No grace? You got nittanychris saying Max sucks, Cobe can roll around a bit but he’s not impressed and Kennedy has no upside. 2 of those 3 won their matches and Cobe was close against a higher ranked opponent. You wanna talk about blowhards.
It seems you fail to understand you can only control you. When 1 compares themselves against many they can always find the excuse for their negatives behaviors but it still does not make it right. Do not use the scale to make your behavior justifiable.

Reactions: Fatmarc
That really is the crux of the matter, isn’t it? That we beat the number two team in the nation by nine points and clearly didn’t wrestle our best match. And, frankly, the hawks executed their plan perfectly and nobody underachieved for Iowa for once. The crazy Hawkeye guys will continue to look for the little chinks in the PSU armor. The PSU guys will just continue to improve upon those little things. The.crazy (not all) Hawk fans will continue to look for hawk excuses or where we didn’t meet elevated expectation. I can’t wait for Tulsa.
Tulsa will be over by Sat morning

Reactions: SJP80 and danoftw
It seems you fail to understand you can only control you. When 1 compares themselves against many they can always find the excuse for their negatives behaviors but it still does not make it right. Do not use the scale to make your behavior justifiable.
LOL! Preaching to the choir. This board has threads dedicated to HR crazies. You might want to educate them as well. But thanks for the session

Last edited:
Would you agree then that it's strange for so many PSU fans to be bragging about your 125, despite the fact that he got tech falled in the first period?
No…but it was strange to see the best wrestler in world history get put to his back in the first 15 seconds by a backup who never had a D1 win.

if MV got a slightly better lock on that, TnT would have been carted off in an ambulance.

When you have the wrestling dual meet Super Bowl, that might attract the casual fan, you have to take the opprotunity to try to grow the sport. See 2018 Penn State and Ohio State, great match, highly entertaining, had a few co-workers who are casual fans say how it exciting and entertaining it was.

Again, in terms of trying to grow the sport, last nights dual was an embarrassment to capture the casual fan. From 141 through 197 (sans 184), a Lawrence Welk show had more exciting dancing than last night. I understand Iowa was trying to win the dual they only way they could, keep it close and hope to score late on one move to win individual matches. The PSU guys were more than happy to go along with the dancing.

I will say Haines was at least able to generate some actual neutral offense and eventually converting. I understand Kerk, got the early takedown and then made sure he did nothing stupid that could result in him getting pinned to win the dual. Vespa showed what you are suppossed to do, overmatched, and he went out looking to score and got the TD. Had he not rushed the cradle, we might have saw the greatest upset in sports history. RBY was constantly looking for an opportunity for the big move and finally was rewarded. I don't understand why both Lee and Brooks were content to get techs instead of looking for falls.

What we saw last night is not a strategy to win a national title unless you are Kyle Dake. If you wrestle to keep the match close looking to win with one move at the end, good luck doing that 5 or 6 matches in a row against quality opponents. That's right, we see many Iowa wrestlers employ that strategy year after year after NCAA's witht he predictable results, i.e. Marinelli.

Overall it was a snoozefest. If I am Cael, I am not happy today with the overall performance of the team. Both teams missed a huge opportunity to grow the sport.
I do understand your point, but if I'm a kid wrestling , I'm probably more concerned about winning a match than growing the sport. Iowa was all defense and stalling to kept close. Possibly hoping for a late score. Hard to score against quality competition when that is their gameplan. They had to take what was given to them.

Maybe it’s more about the greatness of Ruth, DT, Zain, Nolf, Bo, Hall, Cenzo, etc., but I don’t see the same “score points” wrestling attitude as some of the Cael’s teams of years past.
I put this together a few years ago but thought it might be worth a re-print. I need to update it for Nick Lee - I’m confident he moved up the rankings when his entire career is considered - and do the math for the current squad. That said, mcpat is spot on - the current team, as good as it is, doesn’t score points like the wrestlers listed below.

I calculated the team points scored per match by a select group of past and current PSU wrestlers. For example, David Taylor had 53 pins (53 x 6), 42 TFs (42 x 5), 30 MDs (30 x 4), and 9 Ds (9 x 3). I then subtracted 6 points for his two losses by decision to Dake and 6 for his loss to Jenkins. That’s 663 total points, which I then divided by Taylor’s 137 career bouts. That comes to 4.84 points per match. For purposes of this exercise, I treated tournament wins and losses the same as dual wins and losses. That may be the wrong way to do it, but here’s the list:

Nolf 4.91 (60 pins, 27 TFs, 16 MDs, 14 Ds, 3 Ls)
Taylor 4.84 (53 pins, 42 TFs, 30 MDs, 9 Ds, 3 Ls)
Nickal 4.67 (59 pins, 12 TFs, 23 MDs, 26 Ds, 3 Ls)
Retherford 4.57 (53 pins, 22 TFs, 20 MDs, 31 Ds, 3 Ls)
Ruth 4.44 (46 pins, 25 TFs, 33 MDs, 32 Ds, 3 Ls)
Hall 4.11 (34 pins, 13 TFs, 15 MDs, 35 Ds, 5 Ls)
Joseph 3.60 (21 pins, 11 TFs, 16 MDs, 27 Ds, 8 Ls)
Cassar 3.48 (6 pins, 2 TFs, 20 MDs, 19 Ds, 3 Ls)
Lee 3.28 (14 pins, 14 TFs, 25 MDs, 16 Ds, 11 Ls)
Rasheed 3.27 (28 pins, 6 TFs, 16 MDs, 16 Ds, 15 Ls)

It’s entirely possible that a few of my calculations are slightly off. With that caveat and by this (admittedly incomplete) measure, Nolf camethisclose to averaging a TF over his 120 matches. (And that’s with a deduction of 6 points for his “loss” to Van Brill.) Amazing!

As usual, Spencer heavy.
Without Spencer it is 21 - 36. Take Brooks out and its 14 - 14. 28 points scored in 8 matches. Not a whole lot of offense, but still a fun match.
Also consider the points given for release type escapes, I believe Brooks did a few, I didn’t see many from Iowa. There was at least one where we were going to start down but Iowa chose a release. I am pretty sure in that case we would have earned an escape anyway. With 2 TD’s Iowa was not doing catch and release. Of course we did not do tons, but still more than Iowa.

Wood’s definitely didn’t gas but I put that mainly on BB. He has the superior gas tank but to use it you have to put pressure on and create scrambles. BB didn’t take a single shot the first 2 periods. You can get someone tired just handfighting but to really use stamina as a weapon you have make your opponent work through positions. That is what makes DT so good. His first couple matches against Yazdani are prime examples. He attacked and made Yazdani defend and scramble and completely wore his ass out. I think BB, SVN, and Facundo all have that ability but they have to create action and get into positions where their opponent has wrestle through positions and by the 3rd period their attacks should start to get home
First 2 periods? I recall one three-quarters shot in the third. So I am not sure Beau took a single committed shot the whole match. Beau hits his defensive to offensive moves with authority, but there needs to be as much authority used to initiate his own offensive attack

My biggest takeaway from last night’s match:

BJC needs more men’s restrooms. And I think they could put them where the unused women’s restrooms currently reside.
Lol. Or they could convert one womens into men’s for wrestling events…..since wrestling is the only event that has this problem. Wrestling…while there are women in attendance, is a sausage party if there ever was one.

Reactions: mcpat and Ski
Excuse me. I gave Max all the credit in the world in TWO separate posts. Don’t misrepresent what I said, please.

First 2 periods? I recall one three-quarters shot in the third. So I am not sure Beau took a single committed shot the whole match. Beau hits his defensive to offensive moves with authority, but there needs to be as much authority used to initiate his own offensive attack
You can bet that Beau wanted, and was trying, to win…..but this was a school day. Time to understand what you need for March. Now he knows.

Well, short of placing at Bigs, Steen is out for nationals, so maybe Vespa is 'scooting' past him in the room. If Cael thinks he has a better chance of placing and qualifying it's the move that has to be made.
Not sure what is going on with Steen. I doubt the staff made a decision to just switch things around looking for something different the first match post Gary's first Big10 win.

Reactions: mcpat
Not sure what is going on with Steen. I doubt the staff made a decision to just switch things around looking for something different the first match post Gary's first Big10 win.
In the brief post match presser, Cael said Steen was banged up a bit after last week.

Really loved Vespa’s Carson Kuhn impersonation at the start. Kind of mind-boggling that Lee, whom HR has told us is the GOAT, couldn’t put a pinning combination together against the 3rd string PSU guy knowing every point was crucial.

Last edited:
Lol. Or they could convert one womens into men’s for wrestling events…..since wrestling is the only event that has this problem. Wrestling…while there are women in attendance, is a sausage party if there ever was one.
That was what I was just thinking. Multipurpose facilities should have restroom doors where you can change the labels on them easily just by sliding one label out and the other one in. A wrestling match tonight? 80% men's rooms, 20% women's rooms. Taylor Swift concert tonight? One men's room and all the rest women's rooms. Simple, cost-effective solution.

Everytime I attend an event in the BJC I am left with the impression that when they built the place they did not really believe events would be well attended.

Reactions: WeARE and mcpat
That was what I was just thinking. Multipurpose facilities should have restroom doors where you can change the labels on them easily just by sliding one label out and the other one in. A wrestling match tonight? 80% men's rooms, 20% women's rooms. Taylor Swift concert tonight? One men's room and all the rest women's rooms. Simple, cost-effective solution.
Doesn’t matter to me, I’ll piss on the seats no matter which restroom I’m in..

No grace? You got nittanychris saying Max sucks, Cobe can roll around a bit but he’s not impressed and Kennedy has no upside. 2 of those 3 won their matches and Cobe was close against a higher ranked opponent. You wanna talk about blowhards.
Again, I gave Max a TON of credit in TWO separate posts. Don’t misrepresent what I said, please.

It’s true that Kennedy is quite limited offensively. I expect his tournament results will never be as good as HR anticipates. Similar to Marinelli. Tough kid but limited upside.

Arnold is an expert in that subject
Arnold, shares the same view as a whole string of stary eyed adolescents who's delusions of grandeur come crashing down after a couple of years in the Hawkeye program. He will question in frustration how that Barr kid passed him by in two short years. Arnold will be just one more kid that wonders what if... he had committed elsewhere.

Reactions: danoftw
I think in the future when we have a big dual we should be posting our drink counts as we post…
that way we know right away whether a call out is even worth it..
‘an example…
McPat
i wish they’d give Alex mozerelli more air time he’s sort of hot…

14 white claws in…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT