ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Wrestling Session 5 - 2022 NCAA Championships Results and Discussion thread

Unofficial Hodge Watch (via WrestleStat):

This list was composed of a custom formula driven by 4 factors, 1) wrestler rating 2) dual strength 3) opponent strength 4) win percentage
RankWrestlerSchoolRecordWeightPoints
#1#1 Gable Steveson#13 Minnesota17-02853552.66
#2#1 Ryan Deakin#12 Northwestern17-01573503.36
#3#1 Yianni Diakomihalis#6 Cornell27-01493498.67
#4#1 Nick Lee#1 Penn State21-01413497.84
#5#2 Nick Suriano#3 Michigan15-01253474.34
#6#2 Keegan O'Toole#5 Missouri24-01653468.34
#7#2 Roman Bravo-Young#1 Penn State21-01333462.71
#8#1 Daton Fix#11 Oklahoma State25-01333462.30
#9#2 Carter Starocci#1 Penn State22-01743410.22

The guys who wrestled PA high schools. Of course backseat to the good guys. It’s pretty cool seeing as many homegrown wrestlers going all over the country having success just not against Penn State guys. Just shows the depth and skill that comes from Pennsylvania high school wrestling. We all know Iowa had to invade Pennsylvania to win a championship with their 5 PA starters. 141 - Cole Matthews - Former PIAA champion from Reynolds High School District 10.

Something about Yanni doesn’t sit right with me. And I can’t for the life of me figure out why. He seems like a good kid.
No, he is not a nice guy. He has been hanging around Dake to long. in his post match interviews yesterday he was trying to achieve Dake levels of douchebaggery with his comments. I think getting his ass handed to him in the Olympic trials last year seriously damaged his confidence.

I would have. This is the formula that we've used to win 8 Titles under Cael. 5-6 Hammers that score tons of bonus. The true differentiation is how our guys perform on Friday Night. Our "competition" consistently falls by the wayside, and we just keep stacking W's.
You are correct sir, and this year's result illustrates we may well have won it last year had the Ivy's and others participated. A watered down field made it more like a super big10s than a true national championship. Fewer of Iowa's studs would weather that storm while I think we still would have had 4 champs last year, and the victory. There are no asterisks in the record by books, but it will be fun to hammer HR when they puff up their chests. The only team in history to return the full squad (yes no Spencer) and not only not defend but not even 2nd, ...3rd?

Last edited:
No, he is not a nice guy. He has been hanging around Dake to long. in his post match interviews yesterday he was trying to achieve Dake levels of douchebaggery with his comments. I think getting his ass handed to him in the Olympic trials last year seriously damaged his confidence.
I think he seems like a dick too. Setting high expectations for yourself is one thing, but aggressively whining about your performance on live television after you handled your opponent is lame.

The 3rd and 5th place bouts at 149 were full of action and very fun to watch, Gomez-Andonian and Sasso-Millner. Huge credit to all four guys,

Reactions: mcruny42
Folkstyle has it's place, one weekend a year in March. I'm appreciating it a lot more than in past NCAA's.

Thanks for the info.. I would guess he’s pretty much done.
I would expect Brands to try keep him around, if nothing else as a daily training partner for Spencer's run to the Olympic Trials. He is a really good wrestler, and Spencer will need a practice partner of that quality.

Of course, who knows, DeSanto may or may not want to continue.

Reactions: LOTOlion
I know it's been mentioned for sure but the team race will be clinched well before Kerk wrestles again. The minute Michigan doesn't pin someone, we clinch.
This assumes, of course, that PSU doesn't get a rash of team point deductions. 😉

Reactions: mcpat
You are correct sir, and think this year's result illustrates we may well have won it last year had the Ivy's and others participated. A watered down field made it more like a super big10s than a true national championship. Fewer of Iowa's studs would weather that storm while I think we still would have had 4 champs last year, and the victory. There are no asterisks in the record by books, but it will be fun to hammer HR when they puff up their chests. The only team in history to return the full squad (yes no Spencer) and not only not defend but not even 2nd, ...3rd?
I’m still holding out hope for 4th. Let’s go Teemer!

Reactions: Hotshoe
Let's go Kerk!

finish-him-gif-1.gif
Deshawn Watson???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT