ADVERTISEMENT

WTT - Spencer out

Speaking of WTT--do we have anyone registered yet at the Senior Level? Nico & Varner, I assume. What about Bo, Zain, Jason, Cenzo...? Is everyone taking the summer off? Sounds nice, actually. And well deserved, but geez.

Speaking of WTT--do we have anyone registered yet at the Senior Level? Nico & Varner, I assume. What about Bo, Zain, Jason, Cenzo...? Is everyone taking the summer off? Sounds nice, actually. And well deserved, but geez.
I'd think that Zain is definitely out given that he's already committed to appear at a camp the day of the WTTs. And I'd think Nolf is unlikely given the nature of his injury. Askren mentioned on his podcast that Jason came up there for a clinic so it's good to hear he's at least active. Hall is definitely out because he's not qualified for WTTs. Cenzo and Bo are qualified but I've not heard whether they're going. In each case they're pretty unlikely to make the world team (as starters) given that Burroughs is at Cenzo's weight and DT is at Bo's weight. But even finishing 2nd or 3rd obligates you as a backup and maybe they all just want a break, some of them going into their final year of D1. It's a grind and not a bad idea to take a break from time to time, especially with the Olympics coming up in 2020.

the Trow & Funky show - Ben had a decent view... if these guys are going for the Olympics then they will be going non-stop from when this college season starts right up to the Olympics... thus the only breather they are going to have in awhile is this summer...

I'd think that Zain is definitely out given that he's already committed to appear at a camp the day of the WTTs. And I'd think Nolf is unlikely given the nature of his injury. Askren mentioned on his podcast that Jason came up there for a clinic so it's good to hear he's at least active. Hall is definitely out because he's not qualified for WTTs. Cenzo and Bo are qualified but I've not heard whether they're going. In each case they're pretty unlikely to make the world team (as starters) given that Burroughs is at Cenzo's weight and DT is at Bo's weight. But even finishing 2nd or 3rd obligates you as a backup and maybe they all just want a break, some of them going into their final year of D1. It's a grind and not a bad idea to take a break from time to time, especially with the Olympics coming up in 2020.
Re Hall. I thought being a defending Jr World Champion would be an automatic WTT Qualifier

Re Hall. I thought being a defending Jr World Champion would be an automatic WTT Qualifier
No, defending Jr champs still needed to place top three at US Open. Fix qualified, Gable finished fourth and didn't. Hall didn't go.

No, defending Jr champs still needed to place top three at US Open. Fix qualified, Gable finished fourth and didn't. Hall didn't go.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding re. the Gable comment. He can go to WTT by virtue of his finish at the U.S. Open. Top-7 can go.

Reactions: tikk10
Maybe I'm misunderstanding re. the Gable comment. He can go to WTT by virtue of his finish at the U.S. Open. Top-7 can go.
Thank you Roar, I got that very wrong. I was conflating a rabbit hole I chased down at the time of the Open. The opportunity Gable lost by finishing fourth was that he can't request a special wrestle-off for the Jr WTTs, he has to go through the tournament like everyone else. Daton can.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT