ADVERTISEMENT

125 this season

I didn't wrestle anywhere close to the level of 95% of you guys on the board. I had butterflies before all matches unless it was a total fish I knew I could play with and stick at will.
Is that because I'm normal or because I didn't wrestle at the level of 95% of you guys? 😆
Do the elite guys still get butterflies?
I was actually sincere and asking a legit question. Since I never wrestled at the level of these animals I truly was interested. Do the butterflys go away when you are Taylor vs Yaz after all the years of competing? RBY vs Vito etc...
Did you guys that competed at a high level still have the crazy butterflies before a match with another guy on your level or is that something that kind of goes away with 15-20 years of competing?
I'm sure it's kind of based on the individual, but what's the general experience?

I was actually sincere and asking a legit question. Since I never wrestled at the level of these animals I truly was interested. Do the butterflys go away when you are Taylor vs Yaz after all the years of competing? RBY vs Vito etc...
Did you guys that competed at a high level still have the crazy butterflies before a match with another guy on your level or is that something that kind of goes away with 15-20 years of competing?
I'm sure it's kind of based on the individual, but what's the general experience?
icegif-671.gif

I didn't have butterflies once. I lost.

“Being nervous means you care,” is something I have told countless athletes. When you put in the level of work and investment these kids do to be elite a person would have to be less than human to not be nervous before a match. Preparation, both physical and mental, overcomes nerves. Just my two cents.

Yeah, I was never a high-level wrestler (quit after 9th or 10th grade and at that point I was probably 50/50 on wins and losses at best), but I always had butterflies, even when I knew my opponent and realistically expected to pound them. My two sons were much better wrestlers than I was and one of them acted anxious before matches, but never really talked about it much (he was cavalier about training and I don't really think he got overly anxious). The younger son, who was arguably the best wrestler in the family, claims that he never got nervous or anxious before a match. Not sure that I believe it, but he was confident and well-prepared and that has to have some bearing on your nerves.

Reactions: Sett1997
Davis won't have butterflies. He's probably the most business-like guy we've had since Zain.

Heavy favorite also seems hyperbolic. Ayala should be favored but is beatable.
How much weight are you going to put into Ayala's performance against the Caveman compared to how The Kid fared against him?

Do they have any other commons?

How much weight are you going to put into Ayala's performance against the Caveman compared to how The Kid fared against him?

Davis pounded Brandon Kaylor and Ayala lost a close match to him. Otherwise, they have Berginc and Lujan and both have similar results against those opponents.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE

I'm not really into transitive property for its own sake. If someone exposed an Ayala weakness that lines up with a Davis strength, or vice-versa, that would be different.

Here are their commons. Other than Kaylor, they're mostly comparable or a little better for Davis, but IMO not enough to draw a conclusion beyond Davis being in the same ballpark as Ayala.

One thing that stands out to me is that Ayala has 1 career bonus win over a NQ. This isn't Spencer teching AAs or Nico torching Darian Cruz. We could say the same about Davis today. The difference is, Ayala has been around long enough that this might be who he is -- which is very good, good enough to be favored here, but potentially vulnerable. Experience will help him, but he doesn't get easy matches against quality opponents.

everyone is diff,I was a little nervous till I shook hands,when I was on the mat I didn't see or hear anything I was only thinking one thing,get that first TD!

everyone is diff,I was a little nervous till I shook hands,when I was on the mat I didn't see or hear anything I was only thinking one thing,get that first TD!
That was my experience, once the whistle blew nerves instantly gone. Couldn't really hear the crowd or anything. I guess due to focus as you ascertained.

Reactions: lookleft goright
I remember Bo Nickal said everyone has nerves before matches, some hide it better than others (he is one of them)

End of the day he said, you're basically about to go to war and the sport (whether MMA or wrestling) is dangerous!

WrestleStat picked Davis to win so it won't be much of an upset if he does.
Looks like tossup to me at this point. It's in Carver as we all know but Ayala has choked in Carver against lesser opponents. Some of the comps are 2022, Ayala looks way more mature now. Davis is wrestling like a madman.
It's going to be fun to watch.

Last edited:
Looks like tossup to me too at this point. It's in Carver as we all know but Ayala has choked in Carver against way lesser opponents. Some of the comps are 2022, Ayala looks way more mature now. Davis is wrestling like a madman.
It's going to be fun to watch.
I think if there were betting odds, the line would reflect Drake as the favorite, not a huge one per se but not quick a "pick em" especially at CHA.

Imagine Davis is doing a ton of handfighting drills with Gilman these next two weeks. Have to be ready for the lightning fast slide by and shucks. Similarly, he has a good sweep single and I could be wrong but he often goes to one side (forgot which one) Imagine Cael will have a good game plan, now executing in Carver will be a different story.

I think if there were betting odds, the line would reflect Drake as the favorite, not a huge one per se but not quick a "pick em" especially at CHA.

Imagine Davis is doing a ton of handfighting drills with Gilman these next two weeks. Have to be ready for the lightning fast slide by and shucks. Similarly, he has a good sweep single and I could be wrong but he often goes to one side (forgot which one) Imagine Cael will have a good game plan, now executing in Carver will be a different story.
Pains me to say, I've mentioned it many times. Every time it pains me. Lol
Cael is the absolute best at individual match planning.
I've watched over the years as different wrestlers have beaten lions over the course of a few matches. It's bizarre how everything that the opponents did to win the first match , second, etc..eventually gets taken away.
Then the PSU wrestler starts beating them and never looks back.
RBY vs Desanto / Kerk vs Cass/ Kem vs Star.
Just a couple of examples.

That was my experience, once the whistle blew nerves instantly gone. Couldn't really hear the crowd or anything. I guess due to focus as you ascertained.

When the other guys told me that once the ref blew the whistle, you wouldn't hear anything, I thought that was the wrestling version of a snipe hunt. Sure as heck, I didn't hear anything-including the coach yelling "you have him pinned, stop", instead nerves got the best of me and I kept going, only to lose.

Pains me to say, I've mentioned it many times. Every time it pains me. Lol
Cael is the absolute best at individual match planning.
I've watched over the years as different wrestlers have beaten lions over the course of a few matches. It's bizarre how everything that the opponents did to win the first match , second, etc..eventually gets taken away.
Then the PSU wrestler starts beating them and never looks back.
RBY vs Desanto / Kerk vs Cass/ Kem vs Star.
Just a couple of examples.
Wright v Bosack (sp) ??

Fischer (Clarion) 9-6 over Noto

Who is in for a random number draw 1-33 and whoever ends up with national champ at 125 wins the pot?
Love it when our our state schools do well. Clarion, Edinboro, Bloomsburg, etc., have some great wrestling history. And that’s no shade to Pitt, Lehigh, Penn, Drexel and F&M, whom I also love to see do well. State wrestling pride.

Last edited:
Love it when our our state schools do well. Clarion, Edinboro, Bloomsburg, etc., have some great wrestling history. And that’s no shade to Pitt, Lehigh, Penn and F&M, whom I also love to see do well. State wrestling pride.
Ditto… most of the time I gag thinking about Pitt winning anything. But in wrestling, I like to see the PA teams do well. I’d rather PA wrestlers show out at Pitt than OSU or Iowa

Fun fact:

Kid has great taste in music, hope we hear it in Kansas City. This came out in 1999.
That song will be stuck in my head, and I'll be listening on my way to my first account this morning. Turn it way up:

2004 Memphis Pyramid, before they turned it into a Bass Pro Shops. When the lights came up, there were cages on either side of the set, containing scantily clad, dancing women. Having had too many pregame beers, then more in the arena, and climbing a fence to avoid the crowds when leaving, I cut my hand open jumping down. Good times. Yes, I was 36.

Bawitdaba da bang a dang diggy diggy
?Diggy?, said the boogy, said, up jump the boogy

My name is Kid, Kid Rock

Davis looks fantastic and is the most pleasant surprise for this team in years, well, at least since Mesenbrink;-)

That said we real don't know if we have a R12 or a potential #1 on our hands. Partly due to this limited body of work vs top competition, partly due to the hot mess which is 125 this year. Depending upon the seeding and the draw in the bracket, he can and probably will face a possible AA type guy as early as R16. If he gets to the semis, true freshman years are brutal, as a cagey veteran is extremely hard to beat at tourney time, just ask Levi and Zain.

A week from today the veil of uncertainty will be lifted somewhat and I can't wait. I suspect KYPSW will be split on that match, although it's certainly looking like Beau is a 70/30 against this week which surprises me a bit given the blue and white goggles we all wear.

No matter how he does at nationals Braden has given us a gift this year. The kid is dead pan talented, and is only going to get better. The curse seems to be broken and it's nice to start off every dual with a big W for the first time since Nick got hurt.

Last edited:
Ubet.great to see Braden Davis doing so well. I'm curious to know if there's any chance of Kilkeary going tonight instead of the struggling McCrone? some OSU followers think it's a possibility also because of kilkearys 2 wins over Davis. imo Davis can beat either one.

Reactions: hlstone
Ubet.great to see Braden Davis doing so well. I'm curious to know if there's any chance of Kilkeary going tonight instead of the struggling McCrone? some OSU followers think it's a possibility also because of kilkearys 2 wins over Davis. imo Davis can beat either one.
Anything can happen, I guess, but Kilkeary hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire, either. He's clearly going to RS, so his availability is dependent on Midlands being considered 2nd semester and him being unattached there. Otherwise, he's used his 5 dates. They let him go against Noto, and he got beaten pretty comfortably.

If I were OSU, I'd want McCrone to get the experience against high level guys if he's going to be the one for the postseason for them. Even though he's taken it on the chin the last two weeks, 125 has been crazy. There's no reason to think he (or anyone else for that matter) can't be there at the end, so the chance to get a top ranked win here is important.

Reactions: Franklinstheman
Ditto… most of the time I gag thinking about Pitt winning anything. But in wrestling, I like to see the PA teams do well. I’d rather PA wrestlers show out at Pitt than OSU or Iowa
I think lock haven has a ton of potential if they keep recruiting the right kids

Reactions: PSUer1989
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT