ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Recruiting Class Thread

I'm surprised we offered. We only have a few scholarships and we already have KJ Hamler in this class. Along with having Brandon Polk for the next 3 years.

"Visit" does NOT = "Scholarship"

Even, "Recruit posting on Twitter (or wherever) that he received "an offer"" does NOT = "Scholarship" (if it did, PSU would still probably have 30 "scholarship offers" out there)

Pretty simple......right?

I think no shot

I'm surprised we offered. We only have a few scholarships and we already have KJ Hamler in this class. Along with having Brandon Polk for the next 3 years.
FWIW - I think the way you would have to "balance" your pitches to these guys as you are recruiting them - would be one of the toughest jobs for a coaching staff.

Obviously, you have to "recruit" a heck of a lot more guys than you could ever sign.

How do you do that - ethically?
If you need a TB (for instance) and there are four guys you've identified as being good prospects.....but certainly you have your favorites.....
And you think prospects A and B are the top guys....what do you to you say to "C and D"?

"We like ya'.....and if we don't get A or B we'll have a scholarship for you?"
In which case the kid likely feels slighted, and looks elsewhere?
You certainly can't offer only "A"....and sit and wait for his decision....before you start recruiting B C and D (or someone else will have already "scooped them up")

Do you tell them ALL that:
"We love ya'! We want you to commit to us"
And then, if "D" commits, you stop recruiting the guys you feel are even better (A and B)? In which case you may end up with lesser quality recruits than you might have gotten.

Or do you "Harbaugh" the recruiting process, and accept D's "commitment"....until you see what happens with A and B.....and if A or B commits, you cut D loose?

At some point, especially late in the process, I gotta' believe that any coach worth a damn is approaching some of these guys from the angle of:
"We'd love to have you....IF we have a scholarship available" (because you just never know for sure if some current "commit" will flip, some kid goes out early for the draft etc)
But how do you do that without making the kid feel "second rate"?

I can't imagine that nearly all of these kids generating some "late interest" aren't being approached from the "If space is available" standpoint......because I just don't see this staff (or previous PSU staffs, for that matter) trying to BS these guys that badly.

Its gotta' be a tough task.

I think he's a Top 40 overall 247 composite recruit. You find room for kids like that.

Am I the only one that looks back at franklins classes to date and takes notice of the fact that almost everyone contributes? Paterno classes regularly had guys who were ranked well but didn't pan out!!! Logan El? Chris Bell? Eric shrive? Joel Holler? Greg Harrison(injuries)? All high 4* or 5* guys of the 2000's

Can't we start to trust the fact that this guy has a way higher batting average than the last 10 Paterno years when it comes to recruiting and be excited?

Am I the only one that looks back at franklins classes to date and takes notice of the fact that almost everyone contributes? Paterno classes regularly had guys who were ranked well but didn't pan out!!! Logan El? Chris Bell? Eric shrive? Joel Holler? Greg Harrison(injuries)? All high 4* or 5* guys of the 2000's

Can't we start to trust the fact that this guy has a way higher batting average than the last 10 Paterno years when it comes to recruiting and be excited?
Quints McDonald....

Trace --- says it all. I am sold on JF, as a talent evaluator. Jimmy Johnson was another coach that just saw talent, and developed it.
Some coaches are star chasers and some coaches will offer just because their rivals did. I trust JF and staff.

Reactions: marshall23

Too small of a sample size. Franklin's 2014 class is the only one you can make an assessment of right now. Many of the 2015, 2016, and of course 2017 classes haven't either seen the field or contributed significantly.

There may be kids that the staff is aware want to transfer that you don't know about.
Duh?

No shit. :)

85 is still 85

Numbers may be fungible (i.e. A transferee opens a spot for a new enrollee)......but they are not infinitely elastic

Chris Bell looked like he had the potential to be a pretty good player in the limited playing time that he got. Unfortunately, the whole "trying to stab a teammate in the dining hall" thing somewhat derailed his career.

Reactions: fkkkjm

He has a way better coaching staff.

So what is your point? I'm going to guess you are probably 15 years old. You may want to compare Franklin and Paterno in their prime - not based on Paterno's last 10 years when Paterno didn't even recruit. However, the reality is that you can never compare Franklin to Paterno because there is no damn psu for Franklin to coach at if Paterno didn't build PSU in the first place.

Where's Waldo?

Spoiler alert...

CJF and Tariq Castro-Fields appear to be standing to the right of the cheerleaders.

To the right of the PENN STATE HOCKEY BAND sign.

Directly under the O and N, in the ZONE sign, near the top center of the full picture.

Tariq also appears to be directly below the red EXIT sign.​

As always -
Any updates or modifications are welcome!

Last edited:
So what is your point? I'm going to guess you are probably 15 years old. You may want to compare Franklin and Paterno in their prime - not based on Paterno's last 10 years when Paterno didn't even recruit. However, the reality is that you can never compare Franklin to Paterno because there is no damn psu for Franklin to coach at if Paterno didn't build PSU in the first place.

Get off paternos nuts you old twit. His last 10 years were not elite. Deal with it.

Fort Wayne (Ind.) Snider three-star wide receiver Mac Hippenhammer, a Penn State commit, tells Irish247 that Notre Dame has extended an offer.​

Fort Wayne (Ind.) Snider three-star wide receiver Mac Hippenhammer, a Penn State commit, tells Irish247 that Notre Dame has extended an offer.​
Ha! Been waiting for Kelly to get back to his old tricks. Other schools do the research and relationship building and he expends little energy. Then he bets on the evaluations of others, and offers in the last weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT