ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Olympic Wrestling Match Thread and USA Wrestlers.

That's why I can't become a good freestyle fan when the officiating is so subjective and inconsistent. Then the judges get it wrong when there's a protest that's on video replay.
I don't think there was anything wrong with the officiating there; neither wrestler was especially active, but Helen was getting pushed around, Kawai held center. If you hold center and do nothing, your opponent will get hit, not you, that's just how it is. Helen knows this--officiating isn't why she lost, impenetrable defense was.

Everything. Every sport and replay is on the NBC Sports app.
Yes, I know. I couldn't find the semi's replay. It wasn't named like the others, so I was curious to see if anyone had found it.

Edit: If you go to the brackets, that's the best way to find individual replays.

Reactions: diggerpup
Yes, I know. I couldn't find the semi's replay. It wasn't named like the others, so I was curious to see if anyone had found it.

Edit: If you go to the brackets, that's the best way to find individual replays.
Still nothing.....SMH

Update: try this link

We are rooting for an Iowa kid to get through by a Russian. Who said we can’t forgive on this board?
I was just over on HR and the delusion is hysterical about the Olympic wrestling. DT had an easy bracket, has a guy that couldn't win an NCAA Championship. A healthy Spencer would cruise through the 57 kg bracket. I do think Spencer could win it, but I don't know about cruising through.

Reactions: danoftw and Hotshoe

Where are you finding the brackets? UWW site?

I was just over on HR and the delusion is hysterical about the Olympic wrestling. DT had an easy bracket, has a guy that couldn't win an NCAA Championship. A healthy Spencer would cruise through the 57 kg bracket. I do think Spencer could win it, but I don't know about cruising through.
I went there too as I had a respect for their fan base as true fans of wrestling in general. What I saw was sad. "College before Country" seems to be their motto. That is a bitter, miserable group of so-called "wrestling fans".

They must still be pissed about March 20.

Edit: If you go to the brackets, that's the best way to find individual replays
Taylor Amine if I got this right

I went there too as I had a respect for their fan base as true fans of wrestling in general. What I saw was sad. "College before Country" seems to be their motto. That is a bitter, miserable group of so-called "wrestling fans".

Sad people, being sad. Who would "they" have Taylor wrestle? He's not lost a match in years, and had the toughest draw imaginable last time. I suppose that's when they start talking about peds. Sad.

Me: Team 🇺🇲, 100%

"A healthy Spencer" sounds like an excuse. Wonder what Spencer thinks of excuses ...

After watching Amine at 189 last night, I have to imagine he’s going down to 184, if he’s coming back to Michigan. Then, Micic to 133, if he comes back. 125 is way too big of a cut.

Also, is Deepak Punia must have had a great bracket at 2019 worlds.

I unfortunately wandered over there too. I don’t know what I was expecting but the delusion is real over there. I think if I would post -Marinelli would have made the ncaa finals every year if he was gifted the type of seed DT received in Tokyo, I would set the record for likes. 😂

Do you guys just like finding things to complain about? DT did have an easy path so far. The best guy he had is a bumped up fringe medalist at 79kg. Now he has one of the best P4P in the world. Nobody will say he didn't earn gold.

If you actually go over there, you will find 95% of the posters completely on board with Team USA and absolutely gutted for Gilman despite him leaving and saying some weird stuff on the way out. Not much talk about DT overall because he's crushed everybody which was expected. It would be weird if he didn't tech everybody so far lol.

Reactions: rider57
I grew up watching the Olympic nonsense regarding figure skating and the Russians. Watched our BB team get screwed. It gets old. There is zero consistency. After the Greco-Roman match last night, I want to puke.
lol we all know the russians are allowed as many breaks as they need with no penalty!!

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Do you guys just like finding things to complain about? DT did have an easy path so far. The best guy he had is a bumped up fringe medalist at 79kg. Now he has one of the best P4P in the world. Nobody will say he didn't earn gold.

If you actually go over there, you will find 95% of the posters completely on board with Team USA and absolutely gutted for Gilman despite him leaving and saying some weird stuff on the way out. Not much talk about DT overall because he's crushed everybody which was expected. It would be weird if he didn't tech everybody so far lol.
I'll admit, I haven't actually gone to HR--I try to help my blood pressure these days, not harm it. But I think it's self-evident DT had about as easy a draw as he could get at the Olympic games, where the top 16 in the world at the weight are competing. That said, apart from Naifanov and Yazdani, he would have cut through the field on the other side with the same ease. But if people (how many/few, I don't know) are this morning calling attention to something that is self-evident to any fan of the sport, it's fair to question the motivation of doing so.

He beat multiple guys with senior world medals.

The only reason it’s an “easy” path is that he’s far superior to everyone except Yazdani. He’d tech everyone else on the bracket, too.

Last edited:

Once again, it’s the Olympics. Saying there’s an easy path is delusion and minimizes what DT has done thus far. And just to disambiguate my words further for you, there may be a favorable draw but there is no easy path.

I'll admit, I haven't actually gone to HR--I try to help my blood pressure these days, not harm it. But I think it's self-evident DT had about as easy a draw as he could get at the Olympic games, where the top 16 in the world at the weight are competing. That said, apart from Naifanov and Yazdani, he would have cut through the field on the other side with the same ease. But if people (how man/few, I don't know) are this morning calling attention to something that is self-evident to any fan of the sport, it's fair to question the motivation of doing so.
There was one post with zero likes and that was it. And yes, DT would have teched his way to the semis on the other side. His good draw this time just makes up for '18 when he had Yazdani and Kurugliev on his side.

There was one post with zero likes and that was it. And yes, DT would have teched his way to the semis on the other side. His good draw this time just makes up for '18 when he had Yazdani and Kurugliev on his side.
Well, that guy, who ever he is, is lame, and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Reactions: PASLP2 and js8793
Once again, it’s the Olympics. Saying there’s an easy path is delusion and minimizes what DT has done thus far. And just to disambiguate my words further for you, there may be a favorable draw but there is no easy path.
This is just missing the point on purpose. A favorable draw is an easy path in the context of the event. Nobody thinks anybody at the Olympics is bad at wrestling.

The truth is that the depth at 86kg largely rests on the benches of USA, Russia, and Iran. Since they can only send 1, the world championships don't have great depth which is why you see guys like Amine and Reichmuth wrestle for bronze. They're very solid, but not your typical world medalist level at this point.

For the Olympics, Shabanau, Amine, Punia is about as easy a path as you could possible imagine and I'm glad. It's nice to balance out nightmare draws like Gilman's with a stress free warpath to the finals for DT.

This is just missing the point on purpose. A favorable draw is an easy path in the context of the event. Nobody thinks anybody at the Olympics is bad at wrestling.

The truth is that the depth at 86kg largely rests on the benches of USA, Russia, and Iran. Since they can only send 1, the world championships don't have great depth which is why you see guys like Amine and Reichmuth wrestle for bronze. They're very solid, but not your typical world medalist level at this point.

For the Olympics, Shabanau, Amine, Punia is about as easy a path as you could possible imagine and I'm glad. It's nice to balance out nightmare draws like Gilman's with a stress free warpath to the finals for

Agreed. Someone missed the point. 🙄

Reactions: Hoosier Lion

For the Olympics, Shabanau, Amine, Punia is about as easy a path as you could possible imagine and I'm glad. It's nice to balance out nightmare draws like Gilman's with a stress free warpath to the finals for DT.
DT would have cut thru the other side of the bracket too. DT and Yaz are a cut above everyone else. He did beat guys with world championship medals. You can’t minimize that DT is proving he is one of the hyper-elite wrestlers on the blue and green marble, no matter where seeded or bracketed. Now go slap your children and kick your dog

I agree with everything you said--but I'm a little confused by this point--world championships also only send 1 per country, right? The field is generally bigger at worlds than the olympics, but those studs in the stable in the big 3 countries would still be there, right?

The worst thing about this board are threads concerned with what's happening on other boards. Taking offense at what random people on other boards are saying about Penn State wrestling/wrestlers only reveals unwarranted insecurity. Let it go.
Yeah, but that one guy, he's really annoying....

Plus, I thought Jefe's excuses joke was excellent.

Reactions: tikk10 and PASLP2
The worst thing about this board are threads concerned with what's happening on other boards. Taking offense at what random people on other boards are saying about Penn State wrestling/wrestlers only reveals unwarranted insecurity. Let it go.
tenor.gif

I will take your advice and cleanse myself of HR.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT