ADVERTISEMENT

2022-23 Transfer Portal Thread

Big UK starting NT. Could be the huge 1T our defense lacks.
Looks like the hype UK had going coming off their better than expected 2021 season evaporated pretty quickly as they lost their 6 games in 2022 that was topped off by Iowa shutting them out in their bowl game. Playing in the SEC only seems to be fun when you actually win lots of games. Reportedly the 12th player portaling out of UK, but surely he seems like their biggest loss.

He is native to MI. I have to think that MI and MI State will be players here. Also, as a former 5 star, he may be looking for some of that NIL buzz he missed out on previously.

I could see Michigan swooping in here. Fits their scheme better as he's leaving a 3-4 defense and they have to replace Smith.

Looks like the hype UK had going coming off their better than expected 2021 season evaporated pretty quickly as they lost their 6 games in 2022 that was topped off by Iowa shutting them out in their bowl game. Playing in the SEC only seems to be fun when you actually win lots of games. Reportedly the 12th player portaling out of UK, but surely he seems like their biggest loss.

Stoops has played the portal game big 2-3 years in a row now. As his recruiting classes have improved, he's definitely processing non contributors and replacing them with guys who have.

Roger's is definitely the biggest loss. They also have a 5* true freshman OT in the portal. However, he seems like a project. Be interesting to see where he ends up.

Any real knowledge of what is happening with Cephas? I hear both PSU and UCLA advised him to return to Kent State and graduate this spring. He could then be a graduate transfer with 2 years.
Hearing that many of his credits aren't going to be accepted.

Another portal WR offer. But a young player that my theory is he is more a a H.S. recruit than a player that can come in and help in 2023. So even if the staff really does bring in Anthony to PSU, I believe the staff still brings in another seasoned WR to play in 2023.

In fact I kind'a look at this offer as somewhat of a sign that maybe a true freshman PSU WR or two might not have the potential that the staff thought they had when they committed to PSU..... But who knows...

This WR Portal stuff has been driving me crazy until I actually dove in to the stats. Seems to me we should be happy with Carter and wait to see if we can get Cephus in.

DT: 17/366/1/21.5
DC: 48/744/3/15.5
TB: 33/506/7/15.8

DC: 25/406/2/16.2
TW: 19/273/1/14.4
KLS: 24/389/4/16.2

We basically have what we are all chasing. Not like Marvin Harrison Jr is on out list.

Everyone's Favorite Sour Grapes: 34/533/6/15.7

The problem we have with the portal is that we don't fit with most of these guys. We are more of a family thing in that if you were gonna be here you would have been here from the jump usually.

I'm ok if we get shut out the rest of the way. We ride with our fam as always and let it go.
Yeah I wanted another wide receiver and yeah I wanted a 1 tech d lineman and maybe another 2 or 3, but we just are not a portal program and I can accept that. Let's take our ivy league kickers, Mr storm duck, big fella Carter, and call it a day lol.

The problem we have with the portal is that we don't fit with most of these guys. We are more of a family thing in that if you were gonna be here you would have been here from the jump usually.

I'm ok if we get shut out the rest of the way. We ride with our fam as always and let it go.
Yeah I wanted another wide receiver and yeah I wanted a 1 tech d lineman and maybe another 2 or 3, but we just are not a portal program and I can accept that. Let's take our ivy league kickers, Mr storm duck, big fella Carter, and call it a day lol.
I agree with your setiment regarding fit with many of the portal players.

But Franklin will be relentless in his search, and it won't be over until Fall practice in in progress.......

Reactions: Texas Lion
Rated 49th best WR prospect in portal by On3 but apparently Oklahoma is interested.

Isn't it interesting that with the team PSU has, the game day experience, and the only real obvious position weakness being WR that PSU has not had more early success getting portal WR's with so many on that list that have ended up at P5 teams? NC, VT, Iowa, Pitt, MD,.... all have gotten WR's that are rated by the "experts" as pretty good.

Just have to trust Yurcich, Stubblefield and Franklin that they are being very selective and will get some players that will do the job.

Broden likes PSU I'm hearing.
If they get Broden and the Miami soph Brinson and can keep Carter that would be a pretty nice haul and would transform the rather small in average/overall stature of the WR roster to a much more balanced physically group. But just catch the football !!! ;)

Reactions: Online Persona
If they get Broden and the Miami soph Brinson and can keep Carter that would be a pretty nice haul and would transform the rather small in average/overall stature of the WR roster to a much more balanced physically group. But just catch the football !!! ;)
Brinson was a 4* recruit but has only made a modest contribution at Miami. He's rated the 67th best WR portal prospect by On3.

Personally, I'm starting to sour on Carter. Don't commit and then play games. (if what I hear is true).

None of the current portal WRs scream "future WR1". There is no Jordan Addison out there at the moment. And that's OK. I'm fine with whoever the staff can jive with.

Height and downfield threat would be the 2 biggest needs, but honestly if KLS and Wallace can build off the Rose Bowl, do we need a whole lot from the portal? We have TEs who can block and catch. UGA just showed that 2 TE sets are dangerous. I bet everyone here can name their 2 TEs, but can everyone name 3 of their WRs without looking?

You would think it would be easy to sell an amazing returning cast, a 5 star guy delivering the ball, nice nfl success with Dotson last year going back to chris Godwin and allen Robinson, and one weak spot for a possible playoff team that they could fill.

You would think it would be easy to sell an amazing returning cast, a 5 star guy delivering the ball, nice nfl success with Dotson last year going back to chris Godwin and allen Robinson, and one weak spot for a possible playoff team that they could fill.
Portal is about instant $$$$$$$$$ PSU isn't throwing big sums around.

Reactions: lazydave841

We don't know what the sell actually is though. We think they are out here looking for starters because we don't see one and the offer might be "fighting for 3rd rotation"/depth. These guys might be looking for NIL and our staff might not be seeing anyone worth giving it too.

We don't know what the sell actually is though. We think they are out here looking for starters because we don't see one and the offer might be "fighting for 3rd rotation"/depth. These guys might be looking for NIL and our staff might not be seeing anyone worth giving it too.
Or maybe they have seen what we already have and have confidence in these guys. I think with a bazooka launching fifty hard bombs our offense could explode. We do so early in the season and defenses will have to adjust. We could have guys open all over the field.

Reactions: lazydave841
None of the current portal WRs scream "future WR1". There is no Jordan Addison out there at the moment. And that's OK. I'm fine with whoever the staff can jive with.

Height and downfield threat would be the 2 biggest needs, but honestly if KLS and Wallace can build off the Rose Bowl, do we need a whole lot from the portal? We have TEs who can block and catch. UGA just showed that 2 TE sets are dangerous. I bet everyone here can name their 2 TEs, but can everyone name 3 of their WRs without looking?
We don't need another Addison...but we can use another Mitch Tinsley...and those ARE still in play.

Reactions: Online Persona
Or maybe they have seen what we already have and have confidence in these guys. I think with a bazooka launching fifty hard bombs our offense could explode. We do so early in the season and defenses will have to adjust. We could have guys open all over the field.
I hope you are right....but launching bombs and guys running open all over the field.....sounds just a bit optimistic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT