ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Southern scuffle

Yeah, money was tight fall semester, but HWC was able to raise some dough to get him on the mat in January. Sweet Xmas gift. Just working to get it registered and insured by Jan 7th.

main_2.jpg
If you had Terry laying on the ground saying " Hey Mike I thought we agreed that you'd throw me once you got down!"

Reactions: slushhead
Joe Lee #6 seed

Beard # 2 seed

Seth and AJ nevills in the 285 bracket..

This will be fun. Facundo makes the finals and this board explodes with pull the shirt threads. He finishes top 4-8 then we'll see threads about how many extra points that might get us at nationals.

He will probably face someone pretty tough right out of the gate or second match, and get an early loss only to redeem himself later on.

I remain in the keep the shirt on group, but if he were to finish top 4 and keep the losses against top 10 talent to a 2-3 point decision, i'll jump on the bandwagon.

Ragaedless it should be a pretty brief conversation. If his shirt gets pulled I don't know that Cael would wait longer than Jan 7th vs Maryland. I think we will see Hildybrandt there too. Now that's a pretty sweet total makeover for the happy new year!

This will be fun. Facundo makes the finals and this board explodes with pull the shirt threads. He finishes top 4-8 then we'll see threads about how many extra points that might get us at nationals.

He will probably face someone pretty tough right out of the gate or second match, and get an early loss only to redeem himself later on.

I remain in the keep the shirt on group, but if he were to finish top 4 and keep the losses against top 10 talent to a 2-3 point decision, i'll jump on the bandwagon.

Ragaedless it should be a pretty brief conversation. If his shirt gets pulled I don't know that Cael would wait longer than Jan 7th vs Maryland. I think we will see Hildybrandt there too. Now that's a pretty sweet total makeover for the happy new year!
I asked this before and no one had a good answer for me. What's wrong with redshirting Facundo next year when Iowa loses so many of their top guys and Ohio State is not quite there yet? Seems the team race is much tighter this season than it will be next.

I asked this before and no one had a good answer for me. What's wrong with redshirting Facundo next year when Iowa loses so many of their top guys and Ohio State is not quite there yet? Seems the team race is much tighter this season than it will be next.
Not a direct answer, but right now we have no idea if there is any measurable difference between Facundo and Edsell. We hope there is, but

Not a direct answer, but right now we have no idea if there is any measurable difference between Facundo and Edsell. We hope there is, but
You will know more in 2 days whether Facundo is ready to go. I hope Kennedy and him have a go. Either way they will both wrestle some tough competition

I think we all need to see if Facundo is even there yet. 165 is loaded and unless he is markedly better than Edsel right now I don't think gaining few points at nationals is worth the potential for 15-20 points 4 years from now, or next year for that matter. I am sure Alex will be chomping at the bit to wrestle next year and sitting out would be a bummer.

If Alex delivers big time at the Scuffle, I don't think I can find a flaw in your logic from a mathematics point of view.

If Facundo is likely to outscore Edsell at nationals -- which we don't have a good feel for yet -- then really nothing wrong with that.

I don't think this will happen, but if Facundo were to lay an egg at the Scuffle -- go 0-2 or 1-2 and look bad, unable to get his offense going -- then Edsell is a clear choice.

Bottom line is that we don't have enough of a sample on Facundo to make that call yet.

I'll say the fact that Casey has mentioned the plan is to redshirt Alex means we should temper our expectations for Alex at the Scuffle, they know how he's progressing in the room and my guess is he's even as can be with Edsell or maybe a bit behind.

Regardless of how it went down, the loss to the Maryland kid at Clarion probably gives the coaches pause since the guy isn't a NQ level guy. It's not like Nick Lee losing to Brock Zacherl there (who was a Top 10-15 level guy) Obviously there have been cases of wrestlers making the podium after taking losses like that but 165 is deep deep this year. A finalist last year is looking at a double digit seed right now likely.

No matter what happens this weekend at the Scuffle, we should be very optimistic about Alex's long term potential. Remember, Bo Nickal lost to Andy McCulley at the Scuffle his freshman year ....

Reactions: kevin310
I'll say the fact that Casey has mentioned the plan is to redshirt Alex means we should temper our expectations for Alex at the Scuffle, they know how he's progressing in the room and my guess is he's even as can be with Edsell or maybe a bit behind.

Regardless of how it went down, the loss to the Maryland kid at Clarion probably gives the coaches pause since the guy isn't a NQ level guy. It's not like Nick Lee losing to Brock Zacherl there (who was a Top 10-15 level guy) Obviously there have been cases of wrestlers making the podium after taking losses like that but 165 is deep deep this year. A finalist last year is looking at a double digit seed right now likely.

No matter what happens this weekend at the Scuffle, we should be very optimistic about Alex's long term potential. Remember, Bo Nickal lost to Andy McCulley at the Scuffle his freshman year ....
I think the coaches’ preference would be for him to redshirt this year. That said, if Facundo is improving and they think he’s likely to score more than Edsell at NCAAs, they won’t hesitate to let him go and shirt him next season. Especially if Facundo wants to go and I guess we don’t know about that.

I'll say the fact that Casey has mentioned the plan is to redshirt Alex means we should temper our expectations for Alex at the Scuffle, they know how he's progressing in the room and my guess is …
If Facundo were killing it in the room, Casey might still say, pre-scuffle, that the plan is for him to redshirt, because it would still be up to Facundo to prove it outside the room. Coaches usually don’t go out of their way to give us hints. Usually they stick to just the bare facts.

If Facundo were killing it in the room, Casey might still say, pre-scuffle, that the plan is for him to redshirt, because it would still be up to Facundo to prove it outside the room. Coaches usually don’t go out of their way to give us hints. Usually they stick to just the bare facts.
They don't go out of their way to give us bare facts either, It's up to the board to make assumptions, prognostications, and come up with a plan .🤼‍♀️🤼‍♂️☺️

Casey and Cody give great hints/clues as they talk.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Maybe Cael and his staff believe they can beat Iowa without him and also believe he’d benefit from a development redshirt year.

Maybe Cael and his staff believe they can beat Iowa without him and also believe he’d benefit from a development redshirt year.
Perhaps, but PSU will destroy Iowa without him next year and he could still have his year of development by redshirting next year.

Facundo and Kennedy are separated. Facundo is on O'Toole's side.
Noticed that. Hawk fans were interested in seeing an O'Toole/Kennedy match. Guess they will have to see a Facundo/Kennedy match, if Pat can make it. Not something I would normally say. Good luck to all the participants!

sometimes we get spoiled when some guys come in right away and contend when that’s the exception, not the rule. almost all of your great guys from this era redshirted and benefited greatly.

i think facundo has a high floor because if his defense. if he can open up his offense he can be elite.

Reactions: kevin310
good tough match for facundo round one. barczak is the guy who had his last second takedown waved off against wentzel at ncaas. bullard will also test his mat skills.

What happened to Griffith? Really wanted to see him and Keegan

I also think Kennedy makes the final from the bottom side. Will have a couple tough matches but I see him beating Weber in the semis. It will be very tough but I can see Facundo making the semis before losing to O’Toole.

So. Who says Facundo can't win it all here?
I wish he was on the bottom of the bracket so he could potentially see Kennedy and Weber and then O’Toole in the finals. I think Keegan is the only one who is a real level above him. I see Facundo going with everyone else.

O’Toole handled him pretty easily at WTTs.

That said, he wasn’t at PSU yet. As I said earlier, he’s basically doubled his time in the room since he last competed. That means something. I think everyone else is fair game.

His first two potential opponenents, Barczak and Formato, are both top 20-30.

Last edited:
If Facundo wins the Scuffle while beating Keegan O'Toole, we're winning the title this year lol.

That being said, I would be very happy if he made the semis to meet O'Toole. That means he beat 3 2021 NCAA qualifiers likely (Barczak, Bullard, Formato) Depending on how he wins those matches, that could give Casey/Casey something to think about.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT