ADVERTISEMENT

2023 lineup…deepest PSU lineup ever?

I suspect Kennedy will be in the line-up at 165 or 174 once his suspension is served.

Could be ironic that AJ gets on the team suspension free. Let's just say Gambling on other Iowa sports is a few rungs down the mortality ladder from the littany of offenses AJ has already done, let alone the latest accusation.

Anyone with room knowledge know how healthy Robbie
I'm not one with room knowledge, but Robbie has posted very positive comments about next season. I did watch most of the 2022 U20 Freestyle tourney, and "Sophomore Robbie Howard (Cranford, N.J.) lost his first match at 57 kg and then stormed the consolation bracket, picking up an amazing eight straight wins to place third, winning the bronze medal with an 8-1 mark." He looked fearless in many matches throwing all kinds of moves. I was so pumped to see him in the lineup. I believe he is greatly under-ranked, and once he puts up a few quality wins he will climb the ranking pretty quickly. Really hoping he is healed. (NOTE: 2022 U20's is where Facundo was named OW).

Here's a pretty good summary on Robbie Howard from June:

I'm not one with room knowledge, but Robbie has posted very positive comments about next season. I did watch most of the 2022 U20 Freestyle tourney, and "Sophomore Robbie Howard (Cranford, N.J.) lost his first match at 57 kg and then stormed the consolation bracket, picking up an amazing eight straight wins to place third, winning the bronze medal with an 8-1 mark." He looked fearless in many matches throwing all kinds of moves. I was so pumped to see him in the lineup. I believe he is greatly under-ranked, and once he puts up a few quality wins he will climb the ranking pretty quickly. Really hoping he is healed. (NOTE: 2022 U20's is where Facundo was named OW).

Here's a pretty good summary on Robbie Howard from June:

That second article… Robbie didn’t reinjure his shoulder against McKee? I thought he did.

Could be ironic that AJ gets on the team suspension free. Let's just say Gambling on other Iowa sports is a few rungs down the mortality ladder from the littany of offenses AJ has already done, let alone the latest accusation.

Oklahoma State did kick him off the team. We'll see how it all shakes out in regards to potential future NCAA suspensions.

Robbie definitely looks hurt. That's what I remember. Who knows maybe a stinger and he was fine next day.

I’m bumping this thread up again.

Does anyone know who our likely starters are at 157-165?

Perhaps I missed earlier info. The season starts in 23 days…..for all the folks on here who have connections ‘in the room’ - have any intel on who likely starts at these 2 weights?

I’m bumping this thread up again.

Does anyone know who our likely starters are at 157-165?

Perhaps I missed earlier info. The season starts in 23 days…..for all the folks on here who have connections ‘in the room’ - have any intel on who likely starts at these 2 weights?
Cael usually announces the official lineup for the upcoming season sometime around early November.

Reactions: Ja1339
here are 2 animals I kill round here, mice and whistlepigs
1313591719_box_referee_dodging_puch.gif

I’ve had one living under my porch all summer, little bastard drug a box of my wifes sandals that UPS driver left off, then under the porch and had them halfway down his hole!

There are 2 animals I kill round here, mice and whistlepigs
I've been working on killing a tasty bottle of Whistlepig ever since around the end of the 3rd quarter of the game today.

I am definitely biased but there isn't a single guy in this lineup who has zero chance to make the finals

Howard- the biggest longshot but he's a blue chip at a weight class that just cleared out
Nagao- If you're in the top 3 you have a legit shot
Bartlett- See above
Van Ness- See above
Haines- Has already made the finals
Mesenbrink- 2nd biggest longshot but with his motor and the PSU mojo it's possible
Starocci- Odds on favorite for the Hodge
Truax- He's beaten the #1 guy (and is in the top 3)
Brooks- Should cruise to #4
Kerkvleit- Ranked #1

I am definitely biased but there isn't a single guy in this lineup who has zero chance to make the finals

Howard- the biggest longshot but he's a blue chip at a weight class that just cleared out
Nagao- If you're in the top 3 you have a legit shot
Bartlett- See above
Van Ness- See above
Haines- Has already made the finals
Mesenbrink- 2nd biggest longshot but with his motor and the PSU mojo it's possible
Starocci- Odds on favorite for the Hodge
Truax- He's beaten the #1 guy (and is in the top 3)
Brooks- Should cruise to #4
Kerkvleit- Ranked #1
The scariest lineup I have seen... ever.

It seems the lean lately is Facundo at 165 with Mitch redshirting. Levi looks big though. I think there is only one man that knows for sure. Regardless, we will be super strong at both weights in question. I can't wait.

The videos about the lineup and the team scoring record this morning got me to thinking. Appologies, but even the simple is complicated when it comes to my posts.

A 5th year for Carter albeit highly improbable is 'possible'. Likewise only Levi has a 'true redshirt' to burn, with the three (Mitch, Levi and Alex) all having Oly redshirts this year. The key being, this year's lineup and redshirt strategy actually has a marked effect on next year as well.

So what? Well Cael is known for playing 3d chess. Only Levi is eligible for a redshirt in 2025, and one would think he would never go with back to back shirts, so that tells me Levi is the only 'must go' this season, and this leaves open the possibility for ultimate 24/25 flexibility relative to Mitch, Alex and Carter.

Shirting Mitch this season is probably the best move for his career development, and the most politically acceptable being new to the squad and resulting lineup disruption.

Shirting Alex probably makes the most sense from a pursuing the scroring record point of view, as well as his development. The assumption being he bumps up to 174 next year. Of course Carter staying throws a monkey wrench into the works, but if he did come back, Alex can stay at 165 and Levi could shirt. Otherwise Alex might not have a spot in the lineup next year.

Despite Cael being one of the most competitive people on the planet, I don't think he will purposely stack the lineup just for a shot at breaking 170. He wants national championships and will look at how to field the strongest lineup several years out in advance, rather than push Mitchell into the lineup this year for a chance at a record.

Finally I also don't think it makes a lot of sense to bump either Levi or Mitch up to 165 this year. The weight is a meat grinder, and unless Levi truly has outgrown 157, it doesn't make a lot of sense simply to make room for Mitch at 157. Either wrestler going 165 undersized isn't optional especially going up against national champions Carr and O'Toole.

Alas:
157 - Levi
165 - Alex
Redshirt - Mitchell.

It makes me wish there was a 161 weight class.

The videos about the lineup and the team scoring record this morning got me to thinking. Appologies, but even the simple is complicated when it comes to my posts.

A 5th year for Carter albeit highly improbable is 'possible'. Likewise only Levi has a 'true redshirt' to burn, with the three (Mitch, Levi and Alex) all having Oly redshirts this year. The key being, this year's lineup and redshirt strategy actually has a marked effect on next year as well.

So what? Well Cael is known for playing 3d chess. Only Levi is eligible for a redshirt in 2025, and one would think he would never go with back to back shirts, so that tells me Levi is the only 'must go' this season, and this leaves open the possibility for ultimate 24/25 flexibility relative to Mitch, Alex and Carter.

Shirting Mitch this season is probably the best move for his career development, and the most politically acceptable being new to the squad and resulting lineup disruption.

Shirting Alex probably makes the most sense from a pursuing the scroring record point of view, as well as his development. The assumption being he bumps up to 174 next year. Of course Carter staying throws a monkey wrench into the works, but if he did come back, Alex can stay at 165 and Levi could shirt. Otherwise Alex might not have a spot in the lineup next year.

Despite Cael being one of the most competitive people on the planet, I don't think he will purposely stack the lineup just for a shot at breaking 170. He wants national championships and will look at how to field the strongest lineup several years out in advance, rather than push Mitchell into the lineup this year for a chance at a record.

Finally I also don't think it makes a lot of sense to bump either Levi or Mitch up to 165 this year. The weight is a meat grinder, and unless Levi truly has outgrown 157, it doesn't make a lot of sense simply to make room for Mitch at 157. Either wrestler going 165 undersized isn't optional especially going up against national champions Carr and O'Toole.

Alas:
157 - Levi
165 - Alex
Redshirt - Mitchell.

It makes me wish there was a 161 weight class.
Messenbrink certified at 165 (157), which means he is enrolled. So, he can't take an OLY RS, if my reading of the rules is correct.

If Mitchell is enrolled and will be wrestling 157, I have to imagine Levi takes his RS.

Messenbrink certified at 165 (157), which means he is enrolled. So, he can't take an OLY RS, if my reading of the rules is correct.

If Mitchell is enrolled and will be wrestling 157, I have to imagine Levi takes his RS.
But wouldnt Levi take his ORS and save the regular RS ?

Also just a hunch, but I dont think LH will be at 157 NEXT year. Too me it makes more sense too use him at 157 THIS year.

But wouldnt Levi take his ORS and save the regular RS ?

Also just a hunch, but I dont think LH will be at 157 NEXT year. Too me it makes more sense too use him at 157 THIS year.
I agree with you there.

Based on appearance alone, unless Mitchell has Mark Hall/Wolverine bones, he's a string bean, and has more time at 157 left in him than Levi.

Either way, the coaches will figure it out and they'll do what's best for the kids.

Last edited:

Olympic shirt doesn't preclude enrollment. It just waives the enrollment requirement.

Reactions: AndEEss
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT