ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling 2023 NCAA Tournament Live Thread: Session III

How tough has Ramirez's backdraw been? After the upset to Fish to start the tournament, he's run the gauntlet of Facundo, Braunagel, and Kennedy, and now has Griffith in the blood round. After a terrible loss to start, if he wrestles back to AA, he'll have earned ever bit of it.

Some part of me is more impressed with guys who lose first round and come back for 3rd than those who win it all. Getting dropped to the backside early is brutal and easy for someone to mail it in for the year.

You are absolutely right but I was on a roll and the words just kept coming 😂. I’d go edit it but enough people have commented it would just be confusing. I’ll be watching the rest live so I won’t hurt anyone else’s eyes going forward with a page of straight text
were all old paragraphs??LOL

I’d rather be wrong and support the kid, instead of being right and burying him.
I try to be strictly objective at all times. Good policy to have! And the bully of the team was obviously a figure of speech.

Haven't posted in a long time. I check in and read quite often however. I find that you learn a lot more from listening than speaking. Lol. Anyway, something about this Haines kid that I love, and it's not that it's that he's really fuggin good. He's not as dynamic as the Nolfs, Nickals, Taylors. He doesn't punish his opponents quite like a Zain. Doesn't throw caution to the wind quite like a Cenzo. Can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's the way he finishes his double, straight the f up. Lmao. Maybe it's the heart that you can see in his wrestling. Until I figure it out, glad that young man is a Lion....

Oklahoma State is tied for 17th place with 18 team points.
Okie State only has two wrestlers still alive in the entire tournament:
Fix (133/semi) and Plott (174/R12)

At least Smith's kids can finally sneak a cheeseburger tonight.
I was just reading their forum, mood is very dark. Lot of fans are ready to move on from John Smith.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Haven't posted in a long time. I check in and read quite often however. I find that you learn a lot more from listening than speaking. Lol. Anyway, something about this Haines kid that I love, and it's not that it's that he's really fuggin good. He's not as dynamic as the Nolfs, Nickals, Taylors. He doesn't punish his opponents quite like a Zain. Doesn't throw caution to the wind quite like a Cenzo. Can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's the way he finishes his double, straight the f up. Lmao. Maybe it's the heart that you can see in his wrestling. Until I figure it out, glad that young man is a Lion....
…. Yet.

Oh wow. Here's a blast from the past! Great stuff like always. What ilove most about him is his will to win. Like not taking no for answer, the kid refuses to lose. That and I love how loose the kid is out there. Like being on the mat is his absolute joy in life.

That smell to me still reminds me of passing the paper mill in Roaring Springs on the way to Clover Creek during trout season. Good memories of fishing and my late father.
Smells like money. Work my summers there. Shame it is gone.

Reactions: PAgeologist
That smell to me still reminds me of passing the paper mill in Roaring Springs on the way to Clover Creek during trout season. Good memories of fishing and my late father.
Clover and Cove creeks are nice to fish. I also have pretty great memories fishing there.

Eh .... Just re-start the MATCAST view from ESPN+ and drag/drop the curser a few times...
It'll become obvious who is on what mats.

Levi was on Mat 4 I know for sure, and I think the 1- seeds were all on Mat 5.

EDIT - most of the PSU matches are linked in this thread on earlier pages.
I was hoping to avoid the trial and error. I couldn't find old mat assignments on track.

Oh wow. Here's a blast from the past! Great stuff like always. What ilove most about him is his will to win. Like not taking no for answer, the kid refuses to lose. That and I love how loose the kid is out there. Like being on the mat is his absolute joy in life.
Nailed it..."loose". Levi was down 6-1 and you'd have never known it. Continued to do his thing. Just a pleasure to watch.

1 RBY has 4 McGee in the semifinals. RBY beat him 6-2 in the Dec 2021 dual at ASU. McGee was 4th last year and 6th the year before. He has two losses on the season; 6-1 and 7-5 to Arujau.

6 Bartlett wrestles 2 Alirez. They’ve never wrestled. Alirez is unbeaten on the season and lost in the blood round last year.

12 SVN wrestles 1 Yianni. Yianni is going for his 4th title this year. Yianni has only two losses in his career; one as a freshman to Eierman and one this year to Gomez, his first match of the year.

2 Haines wrestles 3 Robb. Haines beat Robb in SV at B1Gs. That was Robb’s only loss on the year. Robb was 4th last year.

1 Starocci wrestles 4 Foca. Carter beat him 3-2 in Dec 2021 and 10-3 in Feb 2020. Foca has one loss on the season; 3-2 to Lewis. He was a NQ last year but DNP.

3 Brooks wrestles 2 Hidlay. Brooks is 2-0 against Hidlay, beating him in SV in last year’s semifinals and 3-2 the finals the year before that. Hidlay has one loss on the season; by fall to 1 Keckeisen.

3 Kerkvliet wrestles 2 Hendrickson. They’ve never wrestled. Hendrickson has one loss on the season; 12-5 to 1 Parris. He came into NCAAs undefeated last year, but went 2-2, losing in R16.

As for 9 Dean, he has the 11 seed Jaxon Smith in the blood round. They’ve never wrestled and I posted previously about this matchup. Smith is a RSFR and was 3rd at Big Tens.

Last edited:
For those want to synch Byers with the Haines video I just posted. Pull up the session 3 audio from the Lionvision on demand area. The timestamp for Haines match is 1:58:10.
Might be my favorite Byers call ever

1 RBY has 4 McGee in the semifinals. RBY beat him 6-2 in the Dec 2021 dual at ASU. McGee was 4th last year and 6th the year before. He has two losses on the season; 6-1 and 7-5 to Arujau.

6 Bartlett wrestles 2 Alirez. They’ve never wrestled. Alirez is unbeaten on the season and lost in the blood round last year.

12 SVN wrestles 1 Yianni. Yianni is going for his 4th title this year. Yianni has only two losses in his career; one as a freshman to Eierman and one this year to Gomez, his first match of the year.

2 Haines wrestles 3 Robb. Haines beat Robb in SV at B1Gs. That was Robb’s only loss on the year. Robb was 4th last year.

1 Starocci wrestles 4 Foca. Carter beat him 3-2 in Dec 2021 and 10-3 in Feb 2020. Foca has one loss on the season; 3-2 to Lewis. He was a NQ last year but DNP.

3 Brooks wrestles 2 Hidlay. Brooks is 2-0 against Hidlay, beating him in SV in last year’s semifinals and 3-2 the finals the year before that. He has one loss on the season; by fall to 1 Keckeisen.

3 Kerkvliet wrestles 2 Hendrickson. They’ve never wrestled. Hendrickson has one loss on the season; 12-5 to 1 Parris. He came into NCAAs undefeated last year, but went 2-2, losing in R16.

As for 9 Dean, he has the 11 seed Jaxon Smith in the blood round. They’ve never wrestled and I posted previously about this matchup. Smith is a RSFR and was 3rd at Big Tens.

Good stuff. Minor correction, Aaron didn't get pinned by Keck.

That really was a slick counter by Andonian to put Levi on his back. He is definitely a dangerous wrestler. Kudos for Levi fighting off the pin. His strength has been mentioned before! On a side note, for those who are insisting Lei was pinned, the camera angle doesn't afford any of us the luxury of that opinion : ) That was quite the club by Andonian at 6:17, but Levi was almost immediately in on his legs and got the takedown. The way Andonian gassed reminded me a lot of what David Taylor said once, that working through a potential pinning sequence is exhausting for "both" wrestlers.

You're right. Godamnit.
What's worse: I read the 7pm post just I left to start dinner have have something or other. I hurried back at 6:58 and tried to find the wrestling on ESPN+. I got a white screen with a faded message about starting at 8pm. It was kind of a bait and switch.

Max is finally going to wrestle a kid in the blood round that he is better than. Max should go 2 - 0 tonight and be positioned to finish 3rd to 6th. I am really hoping Max beats Diakomihalis for 3rd!
He's got Beard or Truax in the second match if he beats Smith. No easy task.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT