ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling 2023 NCAA Tournament Live Thread: Session II

Nagao is super sticky on top and I think he is/is going to be fantastic. But I just don’t get the concern here. RBY is a 2x champ for a reason and there are levels to this sh-(stuff). As of now, Nagao isn’t quite on that level.
I am not worried at all. I think RBY punishes Nagao for that crap he pulled at the Big 10s at the end of the match with the hard choke and cross face. You could tell that RBY was pissed at the end of that match. I believe he will exact punishment tomorrow!

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
Disaster is a little strong. I didn't expect Facundo to AA. Maybe get 1.5=2 points.
Facundo was seeded to go 2-2 and score 1.5 or 2.0 pts.

He won't get that obviously, but there are several remaining ways in which a PSU wrestler could score 2 pts less than their seed.

Aaron finally pinned him, but man that kid from Clarion was a horse! On the sequence where he pinned him, Aaron was taken to his back briefly! They flipped each other twice. That kid from Clarion was huge.
He was a giant, the whole match I just kept thinking how is this guy 184?

Reactions: hlstone
He regressed. It wasn't just a "bad day".
You're acting like he dominated top 12 competition all season. Great freshman year, but he didn't. Not to take anything away from Alex, but Kharchla had just come off injury and Amine was banged up all year. Dominant freshman don't grow on trees. I'll end my commentary with Thank You Alex for your contribution for what is hopefully another championship team.

You're acting like he dominated top 12 competition all season. Great freshman year, but he didn't. Not to take anything away from Alex, but Kharchla had just come off injury and Amine was banged up all year. Dominant freshman don't grow on trees. I'll end my commentary with Thank You Alex for your contribution for what is hopefully another championship team
We still have 8 scoring wrestlers. You'd think Guns would be happy.

We still have 8 scoring wrestlers. You'd think Guns would be happy.
ONly 8? YOu know that means we lost, LOL. IMO he sees it as his roll in life to be a wet blanket and not just enjoy the moment. At least as far as wrestling is concerned.

Reactions: shirey20
He just looks like he's got concrete in his one leg, like it's stuck to the mat. He lacks length which hurts at that weight.
Hotshoe, you put in a way that I couldn't. That is exactly what it looks like. Last year he lived off of 1-pt wins, where he could just ride guys out. This year, that didn't happen nearly as much with the scores, and he just wasn't able to outscore the better wrestlers.

He’d be a real problem at 184. Just doesn’t have the HP at 197.
He had the horsepower last year. He is a returning national champ who has clearly regressed. Shouldn’t he be “bullied off of the team”?

Exactly! It was very close. At least give Max a little breather there. He needed it. I don't understand Max always had a great gas tank and these last couple of matches all of a sudden he is sucking wind half way through the second period? Something isn't right? Is he getting over Covid? That is not the same Max we saw during the season? Just slow and sluggish? There has to be more to this story? I wonder if we can lure away the J. Smith from Maryland? That kid would flourish in our room. I wouldn't mind trying to grab that Ramos kid at 125 from Purdue if Robbie shoulder is a no go as well.
You can’t throw bricks for breathers! You better feel you have an excellent chance of them overturning the call. PSU gets 3 for the entire tourney. We lost 1 already today. Lots of huge matches left and we can only miss two more times. That call wouldn’t of been reversed. Great decesion by coaching staff.

You can’t throw bricks for breathers! You better feel you have an excellent chance of them overturning the call. PSU gets 3 for the entire tourney. We lost 1 already today. Lots of huge matches left and we can only miss two more times. That call wouldn’t of been reversed. Great decesion by coaching staff.

I missed it earlier, in what situation did we use our first?

He was a giant, the whole match I just kept thinking how is this guy 184?

I was at the Clarion match at Rec and thought the same thing when I saw him in person up close. Easily could have passed for 197 or bigger.

I’m a little ashamed to say I was sort of glad Brooks didn’t have to face him that day (was more worried about possible injury than anything else).

You're acting like he dominated top 12 competition all season. Great freshman year, but he didn't. Not to take anything away from Alex, but Kharchla had just come off injury and Amine was banged up all year. Dominant freshman don't grow on trees. I'll end my commentary with Thank You Alex for your contribution for what is hopefully another championship team.
Do we need to revisit Kerry McCoy’s record?

Last edited:
Paths:

1 RBY has 6 Nagao in the QFs, then 4 McGee/5 Orine in the SFs. Then 2 Fix/3 Arujau in the finals.

6 Bartlett has 3 Matthews in the QFs. A win there likely means 2 Alirez in the SFs. A loss to Matthews likely means 9 Schwartz in the blood round then 5 Jack. A win over Matthews and a loss to Alirez likely means 1 Woods, 8 Hart or 12 Filius to make the consi final.

12 Van Ness has 20 Rooks in the QFs. A win means 1 Yianni in the SFs. He’ll likely have to beat the loser of 2 Sasso / 3 Parco to make the consolation final. 5th place match looking like a very real possibility.

2 Haines draws 7 Andonian in the QFs. Then it will likely be a rematch with 3 Robb in the SFs. A loss to Andonian could mean 12 Coleman or 14 Siebrecht in the BR. A loss to Robb and it’s likely the loser of 4 Franek/5 Humphreys to make the consi final.

1 Starocci draws 8 O’Reilly in the QFs then likely 4 Foca in SFs. Prob a rematch with 2 Labriola or 3 Lewis in the final.

3 Brooks vs 6 Romero in QFs then likely 2 Hidlay in SFs. 1 Keckeisen/4 Munoz/5 Coleman in finals.

9 Dean draws 26 Hoffman then 16 Pentz/18 Harvey. It will be the loser of 3 Elam/11 Smith in the BR. Win there and it’s likely 5 Beard/7 Sloan and then 1 Bonaccorsi/8 Allred/4 Laird to make the consi final.

3 Kerkvliet draws 11 Kilger in the QFs then 2 Hendrickson/10 Elam in SFs. Prob a rematch with Parris in the finals.

Last edited:
Simply not true. Gabe won 197 as an undersized wrestler with a brutal ride. He won lots of matches by whiskers and even lost to Cam Caffey. Wrestlers just don’t step on a mat without a plan….and a road map to beating Max is attack low and stay out from underneath. Max does not sprawl quickly but chooses to dive for the far ankle. Allred and others this year exploited low and at both ankles, tying like a low double and moving left or right. Getting the early TD on Max was a clear win and was pointed out by Johnson or Gibbons repeatedly for a year….it provides options to not go under Max.

Max did not regress, others just figured him out and the silly close matches started going the other way.

Last edited:
Yep the sky is falling because Alex is a freshman and didn't have his best day for us spoiled fans. We deserve better. 🙄
Well, the sky isn’t falling, but it was certainly a disappointing performance from him (in both B1Gs and NCAAs). I’m sure he’d tell you the same thing. He’s talented but he needs to be better. Hopefully, it’s a wake up call for him. In particular, he was in on that nice low single several times in both matches and couldn’t finish. If he finishes those shots, both matches go very differently.

I thought we looked about how I expected them to look, with only SVN surprising. Dropping eight quick points perhaps forced him up open up and that liberation carried over into the Johnson match, as confident as he's been all year.

Allred is a bad matchup for Dean, but Dean has looked a touch slow all year against guys getting in on his legs, and unlike last year he's not turning defense into offense. He'd not be the first senior to pull up as the finish line nears.

Facundo does have offense and creativity but lost a lot of steam and confidence over the season. It's not that he can't convert in near-takedown positions because we've already seen it, it's that he gradually lost the confidence that he could, and it's kind of pointless to speculate exactly why because no one here knows. But he's a good wrestler and there's plenty to build on and build back up.

Paths:

1 RBY has 6 Nagao in the QFs, then 4 McGee/5 Orine in the SFs. Then 2 Fix/3 Arujau in the finals.

6 Bartlett has 3 Matthews in the QFs. A win there likely means 2 Alirez in the SFs. A loss to Matthews likely means 9 Schwartz in the blood round then 5 Jack. A win over Matthews and a loss to Alirez likely means 1 Woods, 8 Hart or 12 Filius to make the consi final.

12 Van Ness has 20 Rooks in the QFs. A win means 1 Yianni in the SFs. He’ll likely have to beat the loser of 2 Sasso / 3 Parco to make the consolation final. 5th place match looking like a very real possibility.

2 Haines draws 7 Andonian in the QFs. Then it will likely be a rematch with 3 Robb in the SFs. A loss to Andonian could mean 12 Coleman or 14 Siebrecht in the BR. A loss to Robb and it’s likely the loser of 4 Franek/5 Humphreys to make the consi final.

1 Starocci draws 8 O’Reilly in the QFs then likely 4 Foca in SFs. Prob a rematch with 2 Labriola or 3 Lewis in the final.

3 Brooks vs 6 Romero in QFs then likely 2 Hidlay in SFs. 1 Keckeisen/4 Munoz/5 Coleman in finals.

9 Dean draws 26 Hoffman then 16 Pentz/18 Harvey. It will be the loser of 3 Elam/11 Smith in the BR. Win there and it’s likely 5 Beard/7 Sloan and then 1 Bonaccorsi/8 Allred/4 Laird to make the consi final.

3 Kerkvliet draws 11 Kilger in the QFs then 2 Hendrickson/10 Elam in SFs. Prob a rematch with Parris in the finals.
After watching the Paniro match, it looks like the switch flipped and the lights came on for SVN in the third period of the first match. Yianni is too big of a hill to climb, but I don’t think a trip to the fifth place match is necessarily a given.

Well, the sky isn’t falling, but it was certainly a disappointing performance from him (in both B1Gs and NCAAs). I’m sure he’d tell you the same thing. He’s talented but he needs to be better. Hopefully, it’s a wake up call for him. In particular, he was in on that nice low single several times in both matches and couldn’t finish. If he finishes those shots, both matches go very differently.
Yep he's gotta keep improving, and he will. He will be forced to, if not someone in the room will pass him.

Amazing what a dusting of confidence at the right time does..
what’s an ncaa tournament without a little heartbreak.
daffy duck happy dance GIF

Facundo was seeded to go 2-2 and score 1.5 or 2.0 pts.

He won't get that obviously, but there are several remaining ways in which a PSU wrestler could score 2 pts less than their seed.
This is the truth.

In the grand scheme of things, the team is still on track to exceed expectations to placement. If SVN wins a very winnable quarter, they are REALLY on track to exceed expectations. Almost takes a disaster at that point, several upsets and the chasers not getting upset.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT