ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling 2023 NCAA Tournament Live Thread: Session I

Do they wrestle the first round of consi's tonight (Facundo) and then go into winners bracket, or does everything run at once?
I'd guess 10 wrestleback pigtails, then 80 "prequarters" (RBY, Beau, Van Ness, Levi, Carter, Aaron, Max, and Greg), then WB round 1 (Facundo). Pretty sure that's how it went last year.

Thinking SVN may have finally ate the blue pill in the second period last match. He has the ingredients to be in a class of his own.

Thoughts on first round. 8 of 9 is great. Facundo was disappointing, and even more disappointing that he drew Ramirez right away on the backside. Unfortunately looks like 1-2 BBQ for him. I feel like that third period for SVN was like the moment in superhero origin movies where they start discovering their powers. LOL, Kerk. That was crazy. Off to basketball for a couple hours now.
Third round consy if he gets there is Amine or Kennedy.

Max is what he is. Escape from bottom, punish on top. I don't ever remember him putting on TD clinics when his opponent decent or better.

Agree, if Dean-Allred is 0-0 after 1, it is advantage Max imho. If Max gives up the early TD, it hurts him 2 ways - he is now at a disadvantage score-wise and secondly he tends to get more aggressive on his feet and it hurts his defense after giving up a TD. Tactically, Max is in pretty good shape if 1st ends 0-0.

Reactions: dsites52
Heller scrambles like crazy
Heller moves backwards exceptionally well also … made 1 legitimate shot in 7 minutes .. but more than anything is how frustrating it is watching Alex get numerous good shots in and not finish … Levi gets in the same positions but he finishes.

Wrestlers in Championship Bracket:

8: PSU, Iowa, NC State, Mizzou
7: NIU
6: Ohio St, Neb, Cornell, Minn, Iowa State, VA Tech
5: Wisconsin, Michigan, Ok State, Northwestern
4: Illinois, ASU, SDS, Pitt

Reactions: diggerpup
16 vs 17 seed match was won by 17-seed in seven of the ten matches.

At 125, the 26, 27 and 28 seeds all won.
Results of the 16 versus 17 matches are pretty much meaningless in this regard. In most cases there really isn't a clear favorite nor an upset, whoever wins.

Caffey was apparently in a sling during Big Tens. He's been in college wrestling for a while, his super duck on MyMar still feels like yesterday (not often you lose a match 22-7 and people still talk about a move you hit since it was so pretty) He probably is ready to move on though. Extremely smart and likeable kid also, will go far in life.
He needs a HAIRCUT!!!!

Heller moves backwards exceptionally well also … made 1 legitimate shot in 7 minutes .. but more than anything is how frustrating it is watching Alex get numerous good shots in and not finish … Levi gets in the same positions but he finishes.

Alex did get screwed on one non-stall call - Heller defensively went to the edge when Alex had his leg (and it was like the 5th shot by AF and zero from Heller). On the edge of the mat, Alex was able to go over his head and lock cradle. Heller continued to pull straight backwards with his other leg/foot which was OB and managed to pull both of them OB WHILE CRADDLED - the Ref didn't call Stalling which was complete bullshit as Heller was in a clear danger position (was cradled) and intentionally fled the mat. Ridiculous non-call.

Reactions: 07mantle
For those that have asked... The championship 2nd round is on the four center mats (3-6). The consi pig-tails followed by the 1st full round of consolations are on the outer mats (1,2,7,8)
Is that a change? They used to do all consi pig tails then all winners then all losers

Alex did get screwed on one non-stall call - Heller defensively went to the edge when Alex had his leg (and it was like the 5th shot by AF and zero from Heller). On the edge of the mat, Alex was able to go over his head and lock cradle. Heller continued to pull straight backwards with his other leg/foot which was OB and managed to pull both of them OB WHILE CRADDLED - the Ref didn't call Stalling which was complete bullshit as Heller was in a clear danger position (was cradled) and intentionally fled the mat. Ridiculous non-call.
Probably pointless, but I'll post it again - Facundo did not lose to Heller because of the ref.

Is that a change? They used to do all consi pig tails then all winners then all losers
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that's what they've done in the past... AND, TrackWrestling already has the mat assignments 3 levels deep on their site.

Agree! You always hear that reversing a call must be clear evidence... if it takes more than a minute, then by default it wasn't that clear... re-start before the wrestlers have to warm up again...
the only thing i can think of to explain it is they’re having technical issues getting the vid pulled up. all of the reviews are taking forever.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
the only thing i can think of to explain it is they’re having technical issues getting the vid pulled up. all of the reviews are taking forever.
I don't think the reviews are being done matside. I see officials on the phone so I think there is a control room where the the video is being analyzed.

Reactions: Ski
Agree, if Dean-Allred is 0-0 after 1, it is advantage Max imho. If Max gives up the early TD, it hurts him 2 ways - he is now at a disadvantage score-wise and secondly he tends to get more aggressive on his feet and it hurts his defense after giving up a TD. Tactically, Max is in pretty good shape if 1st ends 0-0.
If max has a choice at 0-0 going into the 2nd period does he take top?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT